Community Forum

Connecting HD receiver to X1 HD DVR

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Connecting HD receiver to X1 HD DVR

I have an XFinity X1 DVR in my closet that was connected to my wall-mounted TV by an HDMI cable snaked through the wall and ceiling.  The connector on one end of the HDMI cable is now broken.  Rather than open up the wall and ceiling to run a new wire, I would like to add a receiver behind the TV.  How do I go about connecting the receiver to ensure that I retain all of the functionality from the XI DVR, which will remain connected to cable in the closet?  Can I purchase my own receiver, or will I need to rent it from Comcast?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Connecting HD receiver to X1 HD DVR

srgrif16 wrote:

I have an XFinity X1 DVR in my closet that was connected to my wall-mounted TV by an HDMI cable snaked through the wall and ceiling.  The connector on one end of the HDMI cable is now broken.  Rather than open up the wall and ceiling to run a new wire, I would like to add a receiver behind the TV.  How do I go about connecting the receiver to ensure that I retain all of the functionality from the XI DVR, which will remain connected to cable in the closet?  Can I purchase my own receiver, or will I need to rent it from Comcast?

What do you mean by a "receiver"?  It sounds like it might be easier to take the DVR out of the closet, but you haven't given us enough information to help.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

The proper term might be "companion box" rather than receiver.  I can fit another cable box behind the wall-mounted TV, and would prefer to go that route if possible, but I don't know exactly what's involved in setting up a system like this.

Official Employee

Do you currently have a secondary box? Do you have a live cable outlet behind/close to the tv?
New Poster

I do not currently have a secondary box, but I do have CAT6 cables behind the TV

Official Employee

Can't you tape/secure a new hdmi cord to the old one and just pull it through without opening a wall. If you can't, you will need a live cable signal behind the tv