Community Forum

Compatible Retail Modem with Wireless Cable Box

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

Compatible Retail Modem with Wireless Cable Box

I purchased a wireless gateway/modem off of the Comcast-approved list of compatible modems, but was told that it is not compatible if we want to have a wireless cable box in our setup.  Anyone know where there may be a list that works for with a wireless box or if you'd have any luck with one yourself?  Thanks!

Official Employee

Re: Compatible Retail Modem with Wireless Cable Box

Those modems/gateways that are compatible with the Xi5 wireless boxes are not available for retail sale. If you see them for sale somewhere, buyer beware.
Regular Visitor

So there are no retail modems compatible with the WiFi cable box?  If so that’s fine, but may want to get the word out, my installer gave me a specific model number to buy and said it was compatible.

Silver Problem Solver

What is the make and model?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Visitor

It's a wireless Xi5 box, model # PX051AEI

Official Employee

I think Robert meant the make and model of the wireless gateway that you were told would be compatible. That’s the make and model of the wireless box.
New Poster

So there is currently no equipment you can buy to make the xi5 work wirelessly?
Official Employee

Concerning any modem other than the specified gateways, that is correct

New Poster

So how do I get it to work without a comcast modem/gateway? 

Background: I recently had my own modem/router combination installed. Everything is fine except for the Xi5 wireless cable box. I've connected it to the new wireless router but it doesn't show anything. I can access the guide and see available listings but no channel displays anything.

I've also connected via ethernet to both to the wireless router and the modem, same story.

What do I need to do to get this Xi5 to work without using a comcast modem?

Official Employee

Again,you need the Comcast gateway. Gateway (with special software) talks to the dvr and then gateway talks to the Xi5. Your personal modem can't make that communication to the dvr. You'll need an Xid (wired with coax) instead of an Xi5 or a Comcast supplied gateway, your choice.

New Poster

Understood. Thank you for clarifying.