Community Forum

Commercials

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

Commercials

why are we forced to watch commercials when viewing shows on the Xfinity site? this is a sevice we already PAY for, so why do we have to watch the commercials? personally, I mute the commercials, but they shouldn't be there in the first place. years ago with OTA tv broadcasts that was how the stations made their money, selling air time, but now WE pay for the service, so we shouldn't be forced to watch commercials.

Tags (1)
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Commercials

The networks put the commercials in the videos. It's another form of revenue for them.

They are not limited to Comcast videos. I can watch an ABC or other network online and see commercials.

Some news organizations put them in their online videos. I picked out a couple of random videos on CNN and Fox. All had ads before the news clip.

Other cable providers videos will have the ads. Customers of those companies complain about them.

Networks are not stupid enough to turn down money from advertisers.

Official Employee

ser55 wrote:

why are we forced to watch commercials when viewing shows on the Xfinity site? this is a sevice we already PAY for, so why do we have to watch the commercials? personally, I mute the commercials, but they shouldn't be there in the first place. years ago with OTA tv broadcasts that was how the stations made their money, selling air time, but now WE pay for the service, so we shouldn't be forced to watch commercials.

Queen-Evie is correct but I would like to add a little bit more:

To have the rights to put most shows online (or on the TV for that matter) we are required by the owners of those shows to put in ads. That's just the nature of the business. If we did not show the ads, simply we would not have the shows at all. The content owners would not give it to us and you could not watch them at all. You will notice that when you watch the same shows on TV they have ads, in many cases much more ads than we play online.

Some of our premium partners like HBO, Showtime, Encore, Cinemax and Starz all have ad free business models so you can watch their shows and movies without interruption.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Frequent Visitor

This is not a completely true statement. I just watched Rizzoli & Isles on TNT's website directly and only had 2 commercials per break. I gave up trying to watch the show on Xfinity.tv after the 27th commercial prior to the show even starting.

New Poster

Something is broken with the commercials. The commercials repeat during the same break and somethings plays 2-3 commercials for the same product or show. What use to be a 1-3 commercial break is now a 4-6 commercial break. I think your system is broken and I would expect Comcast to get this fixed sooner than they have. For a service that we are paying for, the service level is poor, no, bad.

New Poster

However, when we use on demand we can fast forward.  If we have to put up with this, then deduct it from our contract cost.  I don't watch much on xfinity because of adds.