Community Forum

Can I add a larger external HDD to my X1's esata port to increase recording capacity?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Official Employee

Re: Can I add a larger external HDD to my X1's esata port to increase recording capacity?

Nothing's changed since your last posts here
http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Can-I-upgrade-my-own-XI-to-a-higher-capacity-HDD/m-p/2950148#M134540

Year plus thread closed
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Can I add a larger external HDD to my X1's esata port to increase recording capacity?

While I agree that recording storage capacity remains one of X1's biggest weaknesses, I don't recall Comcast ever OFFICIALLY promising unlimited storage........
Frequent Visitor

Back when X1 first came out, they promosied unlimited storage. Sounded to good to be be true, and alas it is so. I suffered throughmany issues as one of the first adopters of X1 in my area, allin hopes of their promise coming true. Well, Comcast, all you have done is constantly change things in the X1 platform, none of that which increases my storage to unlimited !!! I still have isssues with the DVR, but after so many hours of dealing with the BS of calling and getting no where, I have done what they want. I just gave up and stopped calling.....And they just keep on incresing my bill. I would try another service like FIOS, but Comcast is only game in town on Cape Cod for internet. So they gor me over a barrel !! Can not wait until some day to tell them to "dissconnect" for good. There is legislation trying to get a second internet service down here, and if that happens, I am gone after 30 years of Comcast's false promises. I feel better now Smiley Happy

Expert

based on tech articles etc. the future is in non-storage in the home at all. The recordings will be kept in the cloud and accessed in the home exactly as you view DVR assets now. 

One person posted a picture of an info screen that showed a little cloud symbol to left of word DVR on right side while playing a particular asset. It appears he had the ability at that moment to play cloud DVR on his in-home x1 equipment.

Seems likely that the push will be to move off of local storage completely allowing you to have ability to expand your recordings-at-same-time to the number you wish to pay for and the storage space likely will be a floor but expandable then at a subscription cost.

I think based on the tech articles that is what is coming. just my opinion and guess.

edit: forgot to add that you can add another DVR in most areas to double your space. I have 3 DVRs so 1.5 TBytes of storage in home and in the cloud.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Gold Problem Solver

You can defend Cloud DVR all you want. But that doesn't change the fact that it could and should do MUCH more than it does now.

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

Not correct in your mind? No where did I say it was a physical backup for recovery purposes. I just said it should mirror what is on your physical DVR.

And Comcast, I find Cloud DVR to be one of the best things since sliced bread.  It's great that I can go from sitting on my toilet watching my DVR'ed content, to sitting on a bed in a hotel room thousands of miles away doing the same (watching my content that is).  All without having a need for a Slingbox or some other contraption. When it works (about 95% of the time) it is great.

RickGr4 wrote:

In my mind this is not correct because if it were a physical back up of your DVR then the data should be available for recovery if an X1 DVR needs to be swapped...

Honestly people... I live in the Twin Cities and we don't even have Cloud DVR yet but in its current form I don't care.

Cloud DVR should provide:

1. Vast amounts of additional recording space.
2. DVR back up and recovery.
3. Access from portable devices.
4. Access to real Slo-mo/FF/Pause/Rewind
5. Much fewer apps and much more concise interfaces than Comcast has now.

Sorry Comcast... I have said this before and I will say it again. Cloud DVR technology in it's current form is comical at best.

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

NiceGuy3 wrote:
Not sure if this is at all useful, but my DVR seemed to gain recording space after I added the cloud DVR. I'm currently at 64%with167 recordings.

Cloud DVR is just a mirror of your physical DVR, it adds no extra space to your recording quantity.  Do you record a lot in SD quality?

Silver Problem Solver

It has been speculated in this forum that the conversion from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 increases storage capacity tremendously.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Problem Solver

Not correct in your mind? No where did I say it was a physical backup for recovery purposes. I just said it should mirror what is on your physical DVR.

And Comcast, I find Cloud DVR to be one of the best things since sliced bread.  It's great that I can go from sitting on my toilet watching my DVR'ed content, to sitting on a bed in a hotel room thousands of miles away doing the same (watching my content that is).  All without having a need for a Slingbox or some other contraption. When it works (about 95% of the time) it is great.

RickGr4 wrote:

In my mind this is not correct because if it were a physical back up of your DVR then the data should be available for recovery if an X1 DVR needs to be swapped...

Honestly people... I live in the Twin Cities and we don't even have Cloud DVR yet but in its current form I don't care.

Sorry Comcast... I have said this before and I will say it again. Cloud DVR technology in it's current form is comical at best.

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

NiceGuy3 wrote:
Not sure if this is at all useful, but my DVR seemed to gain recording space after I added the cloud DVR. I'm currently at 64%with167 recordings.

Cloud DVR is just a mirror of your physical DVR, it adds no extra space to your recording quantity.  Do you record a lot in SD quality?

Gold Problem Solver

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

NiceGuy3 wrote:

Problem Solver

NiceGuy3 wrote:

New Poster

Not sure if this is at all useful, but my DVR seemed to gain recording space after I added the cloud DVR. I'm currently at 64% with167 recordings.
Regular Contributor

MCBMCB wrote:

I've had my X1 box a couple of months and with HD it's recording capability constantly erodes to virtually zero.

On my 2x Directv boxes I've added to each one an external 4TB HDD to supplement their recording capabilty. I know its a lot of recording capacity but it keeps everyone happy :-)

I'm considering switching completely to Comcast and tried the same with the X1 as it has an esata port but the X1 doesn't recognize the HDD (I tried a 4Gb and 2Tb).

I can see from some old posts (+1 year) that this functionality was expected. I called Comcast but both tech and sales couldn't help.

Sales suggested I get the cloud based X1 but as far as I can see that just mirrors storage so I can watch when away, it doesn't actually give any more storage than the X1's miserly 500Gb. regardless it's not available in our area yet.  You are correct, cloud doesn't give you more storage, it's only for accessing DVR content remotely.  This also goes to show that the sales department doesn't know what they are selling.

I can see that I can network 3 X1's but that doesn't increase the tiny recording capacity for each box, just the networks total, which will not keep my family happy!

So the question is, is there a way of getting the X1 to recognize the external HDD, or barring that some other way of increasing the X1's recording capacity?  Sure, there is a way, but only Comcast knows it, and won't tell anyone.  I think our best hope is that they start specing new DVRs to have a larger hard drive, especially if they're concerned with competing with the other providers (which all have more storage capability).

Thanks for any and all help, Maurizio

Problem Solver

No, Comcast has not activated the esata port and have said nothing about doing so. Search the forums and you will see this has been asked many times over. If extra recording capacity is important to you, stick with DirecTV.

New Poster

Can I add a larger external HDD to my X1's esata port to increase recording capacity?

I've had my X1 box a couple of months and with HD it's recording capability constantly erodes to virtually zero.

On my 2x Directv boxes I've added to each one an external 4TB HDD to supplement their recording capabilty. I know its a lot of recording capacity but it keeps everyone happy :-)

I'm considering switching completely to Comcast and tried the same with the X1 as it has an esata port but the X1 doesn't recognize the HDD (I tried a 4Gb and 2Tb).

I can see from some old posts (+1 year) that this functionality was expected. I called Comcast but both tech and sales couldn't help.

Sales suggested I get the cloud based X1 but as far as I can see that just mirrors storage so I can watch when away, it doesn't actually give any more storage than the X1's miserly 500Gb. regardless it's not available in our area yet.

I can see that I can network 3 X1's but that doesn't increase the tiny recording capacity for each box, just the networks total, which will not keep my family happy!

So the question is, is there a way of getting the X1 to recognize the external HDD, or barring that some other way of increasing the X1's recording capacity?

Thanks for any and all help, Maurizio