Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Cable card with WMC

New Poster

Cable card with WMC

Greetings,

We're Comcast South Florida customers running a Windows 7 Dell PC with Windows Media Center. We have a Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1250 (Model 79xxx, Hybrid ATSC/QAM) tuner card. For over 10 years we've used Windows Media Center to watch and record TV.  Because we're involved in the TV industry, we record a lot of programming; WMC allows recording to external hard drives so it's a much better solution for us than X1 with its limited storage capacity.

A few years back when Comcast changed to digital tuners, instead of being able to directly plug the cable from the wall into the PC, we needed to change it to first run through the cable box. That worked fairly smoothly. However, in the past year or so, more and more programs are now not recording with error messages in the Event Log of "XXX was not recorded. Recording of this content is prohibited by the content provider." But it's inconsistent... sometimes it will record, sometimes it throws the error. I've checked that the drivers are up to date, and overall recording works, but there have been thousands of errors and warnings. There's no rhyme or reason to the errors, some programs record only at certain times, others on certain channels, and sometimes not at all. The pay channels all record with no problem, it's networks like NBC and other Comcast properties that are affected.

We have a Xfinity supervisor team coming today to resolve an unrelated line issue, but it seems unlikely that the recordig problems are related to this issue. It's been impossible to find someone at Xfinity to discuss this with; there were three technicians here last week, including a supervisor, and either they claimed there was no such thing as WMC, or dismissed it with a "we don't deal with that" reply. But on the WMC Settings/Guide/About menu, it clearly lists Comcast Digital with a nine digit ID number for "Cable Set-Top Box," and the Rovi guide continues to update (albeit with many errors and needs to force the update). We're trying to find the department that is tagging these programs to understand why they are inconsistent and whether the issue is on the Xfinity side, the Rovi side or hardware (that seems most unlikely as it generally works).

We've asked TeamExec and they haven't been able to help with outreach but it's been hard to explain so hopefully you all can help us. The Hauppauge card has always worked. We've heard of the idea of a "cable card" but not sure if that would go into a PC and why that's necessary with already having the tuner card in the WMC PC.  We were really happy to see this message board and discussion, if you would please let us know how to reach out to find solutions and contacts we would be grateful. Many thanks!

Official Employee

Re: Cable card with WMC

NYMichael wrote:

Greetings,

We're Comcast South Florida customers running a Windows 7 Dell PC with Windows Media Center. We have a Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1250 (Model 79xxx, Hybrid ATSC/QAM) tuner card. For over 10 years we've used Windows Media Center to watch and record TV.  Because we're involved in the TV industry, we record a lot of programming; WMC allows recording to external hard drives so it's a much better solution for us than X1 with its limited storage capacity.

A few years back when Comcast changed to digital tuners, instead of being able to directly plug the cable from the wall into the PC, we needed to change it to first run through the cable box. That worked fairly smoothly. However, in the past year or so, more and more programs are now not recording with error messages in the Event Log of "XXX was not recorded. Recording of this content is prohibited by the content provider." But it's inconsistent... sometimes it will record, sometimes it throws the error. I've checked that the drivers are up to date, and overall recording works, but there have been thousands of errors and warnings. There's no rhyme or reason to the errors, some programs record only at certain times, others on certain channels, and sometimes not at all. The pay channels all record with no problem, it's networks like NBC and other Comcast properties that are affected.

We have a Xfinity supervisor team coming today to resolve an unrelated line issue, but it seems unlikely that the recordig problems are related to this issue. It's been impossible to find someone at Xfinity to discuss this with; there were three technicians here last week, including a supervisor, and either they claimed there was no such thing as WMC, or dismissed it with a "we don't deal with that" reply. But on the WMC Settings/Guide/About menu, it clearly lists Comcast Digital with a nine digit ID number for "Cable Set-Top Box," and the Rovi guide continues to update (albeit with many errors and needs to force the update). We're trying to find the department that is tagging these programs to understand why they are inconsistent and whether the issue is on the Xfinity side, the Rovi side or hardware (that seems most unlikely as it generally works).

We've asked TeamExec and they haven't been able to help with outreach but it's been hard to explain so hopefully you all can help us. The Hauppauge card has always worked. We've heard of the idea of a "cable card" but not sure if that would go into a PC and why that's necessary with already having the tuner card in the WMC PC.  We were really happy to see this message board and discussion, if you would please let us know how to reach out to find solutions and contacts we would be grateful. Many thanks!

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. I have escalated your issue to the right teams so that we can get all of your subscribed channels for you on your cable card device.  That team will review your account and contact you directly. Thanks for your patience.

New Poster

Re: Cable card DRM

Comcast Teds, sounds like you've been able to help others with DRM problems on their comcast cable cards for HDHR. Could you take a look at my account? Thanks

Frequent Visitor

I am having the same issue on my HD HomeRun Prime box - ALL CHANNELS show as DRM.

Please help !

Official Employee

gorgas99 wrote:

I am having the same issue on my HD HomeRun Prime box - ALL CHANNELS show as DRM.

Please help !

Apologies for the delay in responding. In reviewing your account, it looks like this was resolved by one of our chat agents earlier today. Please let me know if that is not the case or if you still need assistance. . Thanks for your patience.

Official Employee

NCP3 wrote:

Comcast Teds, sounds like you've been able to help others with DRM problems on their comcast cable cards for HDHR. Could you take a look at my account? Thanks

Apologies for the delay in responding. Taking a look now. Thanks for your patience. 

Official Employee

NCP3 wrote:

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. I have send some signals to your cable card that have been known to resolve this issue in many cases. Please let me know how things are now. Thanks again for your patience.