Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Cable box rebooting multiple times per week

New Poster

Cable box rebooting multiple times per week

We have an xfinity XG1-P DVR cable box. Five times this week our internet and TV has cut out and the box says "boot" for a significant period of time (followed by the boot cycle).

The Comcast app says the cable box / modem is disconnected (it's not) and we checked the condition of the cables and connections (everything looks fine and is connected tightly).

Has the box gone bad? Is my neighborhood experiencing short outages frequently that no one is reporting because they're fixed before we can finish filling out the form? How do we find out? We both work from home frequently so both job and home are impacted.
Expert

Re: Cable box rebooting multiple times per week

Kirabug wrote:
We have an xfinity XG1-P DVR cable box. Five times this week our internet and TV has cut out and the box says "boot" for a significant period of time (followed by the boot cycle).

The Comcast app says the cable box / modem is disconnected (it's not) and we checked the condition of the cables and connections (everything looks fine and is connected tightly).

Has the box gone bad? Is my neighborhood experiencing short outages frequently that no one is reporting because they're fixed before we can finish filling out the form? How do we find out? We both work from home frequently so both job and home are impacted.

next time the boot stays on a long time call 800-Comcast and select technical assistance and ask them to look at your signal levels. I'm guessing they won't even see the equipment if you are still disconnected at time of Comcast's testing. It is possible you have a bad line from the tap to your home or your tap's supply signal has a problem that needs to be checked out. let us know on this thread.

New Poster

Me too, it rebooted 3 times while I was on the chat support last night and that was 2 days after a tech came out and put in a new box and installed an amplifier. Another guy is coming out Saturday. 

Official Employee

Hi HMCSW. I can help look into this. Please send me a private message verifying the first and last name of the account holder, and the street address associated with your services. To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me. 

New Poster

FYI.  My Xfinity box reboots.  I discovered, in my case every time my Brother laser printer powered up the resulting voltage drop (from 115 to 110) the box would reboot.  This voltage grab by the printer is well documented.   It may not be a printer in the case of others with this problem, but you might want to look into the voltage going to the box.   Low voltage does cause the box to reboot.