Community Forum

Cable box "RDK-03036" Error

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Cable box "RDK-03036" Error

I got an additional cable box for a bedroom in my house.  Recieved it earlier today and went to set it up be got the "RDK-03036" error code.  There is a wall outlet for cable in the room so it should have worked.  After retrying it for some time I tried activating it in the basement where we had a TV before everything switched to digital.  And it worked.  So I try hooking everything back up in the bedroom but still gave the "RDK-03036" error.  Now im guessing is that the wall outlet isnt working and a tech person probably has to come out and see what the problem is.  What would the charge be for someone to come out and look around for the problem?  Money is a little tight for a bit and if its a considerable amount of money I might just have to return the box.  

Official Employee

Re: Cable box "RDK-03036" Error

Are you able to follow the cable back to splitter or amp? And see if it's hooked up or not, it'll save a service call.
Expert

adding.. just wondering if the working HD box or DVR was tried on that outlet to see if it is live/working? Is the model of the additional companion box an Xg2 or an XiD?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Gold Problem Solver

Up to you how you proceed but that error message is a MoCA error message. Simply put, it means your new box can't see the DVR across the wiring in your house. But it relies on being able to see the DVR. Something is wrong with the wiring or connections within your house.

If the problem is found to be within your house you will be probably be charged $60-$70 for the visit.

bsalzman wrote:

I got an additional cable box for a bedroom in my house.  Recieved it earlier today and went to set it up be got the "RDK-03036" error code.  There is a wall outlet for cable in the room so it should have worked.  After retrying it for some time I tried activating it in the basement where we had a TV before everything switched to digital.  And it worked.  So I try hooking everything back up in the bedroom but still gave the "RDK-03036" error.  Now im guessing is that the wall outlet isnt working and a tech person probably has to come out and see what the problem is.  What would the charge be for someone to come out and look around for the problem?  Money is a little tight for a bit and if its a considerable amount of money I might just have to return the box.  

Frequent Visitor

I am not sure what the cable situation is in the house.  With the box that isnt "working", theres another box in the livingroom that appears to be connected into the modem.  There is also a coax cable thats plugged into an AC Adapter that im not sure what is for.

Frequent Visitor

The box is a XiD.  I plugged the box into a power strip that powers other things like a tv and speakers so it should work.  

Expert

bsalzman wrote:

The box is a XiD.  I plugged the box into a power strip that powers other things like a tv and speakers so it should work.  

The XiD depends on your other box to get any live channel and for its internet access. If you put the working box (DVR or XG2 companion) at that location for a test, you will know if the outlet is live and able to deliver the cable signal to the 'working' box. Just part of the diagnosis process.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Gold Problem Solver

Like I said, the new box needs to be able to see and talk to the DVR across the wiring in your home. Sorry to be blunt but you can either figure this out on your own or pay someone else to help. If you aren't familiar with how the cable wires are run in your house then you will most likely need outside help.

bsalzman wrote:

I am not sure what the cable situation is in the house.  With the box that isnt "working", theres another box in the livingroom that appears to be connected into the modem.  There is also a coax cable thats plugged into an AC Adapter that im not sure what is for.

Official Employee

The AC adapter means that you have an amp somewhere. It's your house, take a look around, it may be in the house box outside. The outlet that you are trying to hook is either split before the amp or not hooked up at all. If you can't find the amp, the tech out will be your only solution
Official Employee

bsalzman wrote:

The XiD depends on your other box to get any live channel and for its internet access. If you put the working box (DVR or XG2 companion) at that location for a test, you will know if the outlet is live and able to deliver the cable signal to the 'working' box. Just part of the diagnosis process.

I recommend doing this as well. If it doesn't work, then the outlet isn't activated and I can send a tech out to have that done. Let us know. 

KenF