Community Forum

Cable blinks on and off

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Cable blinks on and off

I recently moved. Prior to moving the TV in my living room would blink on and off while watching. It was intermittent and I thought it was just the TV. The cable box it was connected to was the X1 with the blue light.

After moving a brand new X1 box was installed but this time in my bedroom with a different TV (different brand too and a newer TV) now the same thing is happening. After reading older threads it seems this is an issue with xfinity and it’s service. I’m reluctant to call customer service since they are the worst customer service I have ever experienced. Any one else having this issue and ended up fixing it? Would rather try this first and only call Comcast as a last resort.
Expert

Re: Cable blinks on and off

@Krfinn0226 wrote:
I recently moved. Prior to moving the TV in my living room would blink on and off while watching. It was intermittent and I thought it was just the TV. The cable box it was connected to was the X1 with the blue light.

After moving a brand new X1 box was installed but this time in my bedroom with a different TV (different brand too and a newer TV) now the same thing is happening. After reading older threads it seems this is an issue with xfinity and it’s service. I’m reluctant to call customer service since they are the worst customer service I have ever experienced. Any one else having this issue and ended up fixing it? Would rather try this first and only call Comcast as a last resort.

having read thousands of posts, yours is not a familiar problem. When you say the TV is blinking on and off can you give a bit longer description? when it is 'off' how long is it off and is there an error message? how is your HDMI cable connected to your TV/sound system?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

The screen goes black for a couple seconds then back on. Some times the intervals are short some times longer. It can go days with out doing it then it can happen out of the blue. There is no error message when it does it. I used a band new hdmi cable and xfinity connected it when they did the install.
Expert

@Krfinn0226 wrote:
The screen goes black for a couple seconds then back on. Some times the intervals are short some times longer. It can go days with out doing it then it can happen out of the blue. There is no error message when it does it. I used a band new hdmi cable and xfinity connected it when they did the install.

do you have more than one set top box so you can temporarily swap boxes and see if the problem follows the box or stays with the TV. you didn't mention sound, does sound stay the same? is the set top box connected directly to the TV or does the HDMI cord connect to a receiver or sound bar?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

This is the second set top box that has done this connected to the tv directly...everything goes out, the picture is gone and so is the sound.

When I moved xfinity installed a completely new box. Since the same problem is happening two different TVs and two different boxes it shows that the issue must be with xfinity service.

So what can be done?
Expert

@Krfinn0226 wrote:
This is the second set top box that has done this connected to the tv directly...everything goes out, the picture is gone and so is the sound.

When I moved xfinity installed a completely new box. Since the same problem is happening two different TVs and two different boxes it shows that the issue must be with xfinity service.

So what can be done?

when it happens, does the sound continue with image frozen on the screen? while frozen press the xfinity button. does the menu show on the frozen image?

New Poster

Image is not frozen. The screen goes black. No sound. Image goes out for a few seconds the. Comes back on. Then it happens again. I have a video but this post will not attach it.
Expert

@Krfinn0226 wrote:
Image is not frozen. The screen goes black. No sound. Image goes out for a few seconds the. Comes back on. Then it happens again. I have a video but this post will not attach it.

does this happen on one particular channel or on any channel you are watching? 

New Poster

i have just started having the on and off problem. it happens on all channels. same as the other person. does anyone have a solution?

@Rustyben wrote:

@Krfinn0226 wrote:

Silver Problem Solver

@sofloteri wrote:

i have just started having the on and off problem. it happens on all channels. same as the other person. does anyone have a solution?

@Rustyben wrote:

@Krfinn0226 wrote:

Can you check to see if ALL connections to the X1 box and the TV are tight?  Did you try to unplug the power to everything and plug them back in?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

did all that. do you have an answer or not?

Silver Problem Solver

@sofloteri wrote:

did all that. do you have an answer or not?

No; none of my X1 boxes has ever done that.  Sure sounds like a loose connection somewhere.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

I have done that. Restarted the boxes tightened the connections and it still happens.
New Poster

I have been having the same problem with my TV and have done all the same things to correct it. This is a new install too.