Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

CNN DVR'd programs can't be fast forward....they skip large chunks

Frequent Visitor

CNN DVR'd programs can't be fast forward....they skip large chunks

Last couple weekends I've DVR some CNN news programs. When I try to fast forward past commercials, it ends up jumping uncontrollably ahead of where I want to be. I've recorded other non-CNN stuff in the interim with no playback issues. Anyone else seeing this? Can a station emmbed smething in the broadcast to cause this?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: CNN DVR'd programs can't be fast forward....they skip large chunks

I have seen this on other Tuner networks since the MPEG4 upgrade. Also on BBC America. I usually don't use FF and REW, but the 30-sec skip and 15-sec review. 30-sec skip usually works, but sometimes 15-sec review will only back up to a particular point and I have to REW a bit to back up further, but sometimes it also jumps quite a bit back instead. Sometimes, I have found waiting a second or so after each press of 30-sec skip (wait for the video to unpause) can help. That probably wouldn't help FF.

This is on a DCX-3400M box (non-X1).

Frequent Visitor

Thanks. I have the same cable box. I have an older silver controller and a new black one issued with the box but neither seems to have a skip or review button, or I do not know how to invoke this.

Silver Problem Solver

On the silver remote, there should be a reverse curly arrow for the 15-sec review. For the newer black one, you can change a setting on the cable box (MENU/MENU/Setup/Remote Key Setup). You can change what the A/B/C/D keys do. Leave B and C as Day-/Day+. I set A to "Replay".

For the 30-second skip, I don't think it can be added to the newer black remotes as they do not seem to allow for key remapping. For the older silver remote, you can add the code:

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use_a_Motorola_DVR/Programming_the_Remote#Add_30-Second_Skip

New Poster

I've been seeing the same problem for a few weeks. I, too, have the Moto 3400 box, and it's way beyond frustrating to try to watch a recorded CNN show (BTW, same behavior navigating the buffer.)  And why does this behavior appear only on a small subset of channels? Hello, Comcast, are you listening?

Frequent Visitor

Problem does not occur on SD CNN channel.  I can live without CNN in HD for now.

Frequent Visitor

Andyross...

Indeed, Turner networks.  Same issue with TBS HD when I tried to record and playback a ball game.