Community Forum

Bundled Guide release (A31) Motorola set tops

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Official Employee

Re: A31 Lag Fix Status

@eggalegga wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@eggalegga wrote:

Yup.  No longer a pinned topic so it's left to fall into the abyss with the other unresolved issues of non-X1 subscribers.

My first post on this problem was back in May and it's almost November with no resolution.

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. This bundled release (A31) has been 100% deployed for some time now, so the topic is no longer pinned to the top of the section.

I do see some signal related issue around the Motorola DCX3400 box listed on your account. This may be aggravating the issue. 

As mentioned earlier, we are aware of some tuning delays under certain conditions and those are being addressed with a bundled SW and FW release scheduled to start customer deployment in the first half of 2016.

This upcoming release continues to be in trial in employee homes in a few areas.

We would like to provide you a better experience now on our X1 Platform. I have asked that (if you are agreeable) we get you on our X1 Platform (and waive any installation fees).

Someone on our team will reach out to you to go over the details. Thanks for your patience.

Thank you so much for your reply.  It's so nice to know someone at Comcast is still working on resolving this.

..."delays are being addressed with a bundled SW and FW release scheduled to start customer deployment in the first half of 2016."

This is good to know.  Thanks for sharing that information with us.  Could you please share what issues you hope to resolve with the software/firmware updates? 

Once I replace my older DCT 6412 (for HD enhancement reasons) & its replacement is fully functional, then I'll look into replacing my DCX 3416.  I don't want to try to replace them both at once.

I do not want X1 as the DVRs do not offer the "swap" option to switch between tuners.  Yes, I know X1 DVRs record 4 shows or something like that at once. But I don't want to record everything.  I just prefer my legacy DVRs function of having a live tv buffer on each tuner.

There are numerous new features and fixes included in this release. The delayed tuning issue experienced by some customers under some conditions on some boxes is one of the issues that is addressed.

As we get closer to customer deployment, we will start up a separate thread that speaks in more detail to the features and fixes that will be included in this bundled release.

To clarify - On the newest X1 DVRs, our customers can now record up to six shows at one time.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/X1-DVR-Capabilities-Expanded/td-p/2555796

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@eggalegga wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@eggalegga wrote:

Yup.  No longer a pinned topic so it's left to fall into the abyss with the other unresolved issues of non-X1 subscribers.

My first post on this problem was back in May and it's almost November with no resolution.

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. This bundled release (A31) has been 100% deployed for some time now, so the topic is no longer pinned to the top of the section.

I do see some signal related issue around the Motorola DCX3400 box listed on your account. This may be aggravating the issue. 

As mentioned earlier, we are aware of some tuning delays under certain conditions and those are being addressed with a bundled SW and FW release scheduled to start customer deployment in the first half of 2016.

This upcoming release continues to be in trial in employee homes in a few areas.

We would like to provide you a better experience now on our X1 Platform. I have asked that (if you are agreeable) we get you on our X1 Platform (and waive any installation fees).

Someone on our team will reach out to you to go over the details. Thanks for your patience.

Thank you so much for your reply.  It's so nice to know someone at Comcast is still working on resolving this.

..."delays are being addressed with a bundled SW and FW release scheduled to start customer deployment in the first half of 2016."

This is good to know.  Thanks for sharing that information with us.  Could you please share what issues you hope to resolve with the software/firmware updates? 

Once I replace my older DCT 6412 (for HD enhancement reasons) & its replacement is fully functional, then I'll look into replacing my DCX 3416.  I don't want to try to replace them both at once.

I do not want X1 as the DVRs do not offer the "swap" option to switch between tuners.  Yes, I know X1 DVRs record 4 shows or something like that at once. But I don't want to record everything.  I just prefer my legacy DVRs function of having a live tv buffer on each tuner.

There are numerous new features and fixes included in this release. The delayed tuning issue experienced by some customers under some conditions on some boxes is one of the issues that is addressed.

As we get closer to customer deployment, we will start up a separate thread that speaks in more detail to the features and fixes that will be included in this bundled release.

To clarify - On the newest X1 DVRs, our customers can now record up to six shows at one time.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/X1-DVR-Capabilities-Expanded/td-p/2555796

I would be willing to help test the new software update to see if that resolves my delay issues since A31 was downloaded to my DCX3400M several months ago. I have tried it with and without the 2TB WD external drive installed, and it doesn't make a difference either way. And like others, with saved recordings on the internal and external drive, I really hate to loose that to go to the X1. Especially since X1 doesn't even support external drives.

Contributor

I replaced my DCT6412 DVR on Wednesday to ensure I would be able to see the upcoming enchanced HD signal.  I received a DCX3501 (RNG200) from a local Comcast store.  It only took one hour to hook-up & to be fully functional.

It's only been 3 days, but I haven't had any of the typical A31 lag issues yet.  I did, however, have two recordings that were "not recorded due to an unknown error"/ "hardware error."  I just figured those were from the first day & perhaps there were guide changes/adjustments that might have caused those errors.

I will wait a few months, and if this DCX3501 remains functional, I'll replace my DCX3416.  The DCX3501 has a 500GB drive, so more space for recordings. Smiley Happy

DVR Config 11-4-15.jpg

Regular Contributor

@eggalegga wrote:

I replaced my DCT6412 DVR on Wednesday to ensure I would be able to see the upcoming enchanced HD signal.  I received a DCX3501 (RNG200) from a local Comcast store.  It only took one hour to hook-up & to be fully functional.

It's only been 3 days, but I haven't had any of the typical A31 lag issues yet.  I did, however, have two recordings that were "not recorded due to an unknown error"/ "hardware error."  I just figured those were from the first day & perhaps there were guide changes/adjustments that might have caused those errors.

I will wait a few months, and if this DCX3501 remains functional, I'll replace my DCX3416.  The DCX3501 has a 500GB drive, so more space for recordings. Smiley Happy

DVR Config 11-4-15.jpg

Just checking in ...... I presume you have the A31 software update so how is the tuner swap delay when you've let the buffers run full (leaving the unit on, but not recording, for several hours) and then trying a tuner swap?

Contributor

@eecon1 wrote:

@eggalegga wrote:

Just checking in ...... I presume you have the A31 software update so how is the tuner swap delay when you've let the buffers run full (leaving the unit on, but not recording, for several hours) and then trying a tuner swap?

The new DVR has a31.1412.r-3

I haven't noticed any lag/delays with the remote--& I am a VERY fast button pusher.  Haven't had a lot of time to watch TV lately.  And when I do, it's usually recorded programming.  I'll try to pay closer attention to any lag time when I swap tuners which have full buffers & report back in a few days.

Thanks for asking.

No missed recordings due to "hardware failure" or "unknown reason"--which is HUGE since I've been battling those weird issues for YEEEEEARS.  I rarely watch or record SD programming.  On 1/21/15 ComcastTeds posted:

The channels that you listed may also be delivered on the same range of frequencies locally so we are looking into that as well; issues with the frequencies could be a contributing factor that cause the recordings to stop suddenly or "cancel". 

Regular Contributor

@eggalegga wrote:

@eecon1 wrote:

@eggalegga wrote:

The new DVR has a31.1412.r-3

I haven't noticed any lag/delays with the remote--& I am a VERY fast button pusher.  Haven't had a lot of time to watch TV lately.  And when I do, it's usually recorded programming.  I'll try to pay closer attention to any lag time when I swap tuners which have full buffers & report back in a few days.

Thanks for asking.

No missed recordings due to "hardware failure" or "unknown reason"--which is HUGE since I've been battling those weird issues for YEEEEEARS.  I rarely watch or record SD programming.  On 1/21/15 ComcastTeds posted:

The channels that you listed may also be delivered on the same range of frequencies locally so we are looking into that as well; issues with the frequencies could be a contributing factor that cause the recordings to stop suddenly or "cancel". 

Looks like you do have the latest A31.    I'm looking forward to what you observe when in non-recorded live mode with full buffers .... that's when the issue seems to manifest itself for those of us swapping between two channels (without recording them) ..... like going back and forth between CNBC and Bloomberg during the normal weekday stock market trading day .... the hard drive buffers on HD Channels only take about 20 minutes to fill up, so testing things out won't take too long.  Also, please be sure to try the remote control's response when changing channels by entering a full 3 digit channel number with full buffers on the DVR.

BTW, if you are using an external Expander HDD, try things both with and w/o the external HDD connected.

Thanks! .... I really appreciate your testing the DVX3501 which is the non-X1 unit I aspire to move up to from my DCX3400M!

Frequent Visitor

Re: Upcoming Bundled Guide release (A31) Motorola set tops

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@jdendiu2 wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

Apologies. Most of our cable systems don't currently have duplicate mirrored channels so it hasn't been an issue in most locations. 

This issue is being tracked.  

Tracked? I'd prefer to have it fixed. If most locations don't have the issue (which, incidentally, pre-dates the update), how difficult can it be to isolate? 

The fix may be to remove the duplicated channels in the areas where we still have them. This was done in a lot of areas already. This may be a faster and easier resolution.

Either way it will be addressed. 

Eight months and still no resolution. Keep up the good work guys.

New Poster

Haven't followed up here since November of 2015. Was wondering if there was any news updates I missed on any A31 firmware fix.

Regular Contributor

@Glenn54 wrote:

Haven't followed up here since November of 2015. Was wondering if there was any news updates I missed on any A31 firmware fix.

I too was also wondering about the same thing.

I'm sad to say that Comcast has disappointed me in general over the last year or so because this important issue seems to have fallen thru the cracks, or been pushed back due in hopes of moving customers to a Cloud based X1 system.

I don't trust the Cloud for anything.  

Regular Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@eggalegga wrote:

Good Morning Dear Comcast:

How are your testing trials going (mentioned by ComcastTeds) with the 2-Tuner DVR replacement update for the A31 SW/FW?

Also, thanks but no-thanks regarding migrating to X1 because my experience with it at several neighbors' homes does not suit my specific personal preferences.   I enjoy my Comcast 2-Tuner Motorola DVR AnyRoom experience as-is except for the A31 tuning delays.

I'd also be most happy to help Comcast test the beta SW/FW replacement for A31 at no charge to Comcast (for my time spent testing).

Thank you.

Regular Contributor

With the first half of 2016 over, I'm wondering if we'll see an upgrade from A31 before the end of the year. I would also be willing to test the firmware and provide feedback.
Problem Solver

Hello FAUguy,

Thank you for your inquiry. We will look into this matter for you and reach back out to you as soon as possible.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Official Employee

@Glenn54 wrote:

Recently a decision was made to not move ahead with the upcoming release that was previously referenced. 

This was a very difficult decision because there were multiple benefits in the release but the decision was based on numerous factors and the desire to focus on the future. We have almost 50% of our deployed set tops running on our X1 platform and we are adding about 40,000 more boxes every day on the X1 platform.    

We will certainly continue to support our legacy platform for some time. 

It's no secret that X1 is the on-screen guide interface that we are dedicating the most time, energy, money and resources to. It is a superior interface and allows for quicker enhancements and also for new feature rollouts nationally.

Apologies. If you are interested swapping your existing set tops for X1, please send me a PM (Private Message) and we can get a professional installation set up and the installation fee waived. More information on X1 can be found here: http://www.xfinity.com/x1a

Private Messages (PM’s)

You can click on my name (ComcastTeds) and scroll down to a link that says “Private Message Me”. http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/4833257

At the top right of each Forum page you will see a small envelope.

This is the icon for Private Messages, referred to as ‘PM’s’. A Private Message is a way to communicate in private, to another User, Moderator, or Administrator out of public view in the Forums.

The envelope icon will have a number next to it if you have any new messages waiting.

To open a PM to read it, double click on the envelope. If you click on the envelope a window will open with tabs for your Private Message Inbox, Sent Messages, Friends, Ignored Users, and Compose new Message. You can also access this area by clicking on the Username in a Thread or post. By default, Private Messages are enabled. You can disable this feature in My Settings>Preferences> Private Messenger. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Yep, I kinda figured all along that's where this was heading. I highly doubt anyone was ever working the A31 update in the first place. 

Regular Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@Glenn54 wrote:

Recently a decision was made to not move ahead with the upcoming release that was previously referenced. 

This was a very difficult decision because there were multiple benefits in the release but the decison was based on numerous factors and the desire to focus on the future. We have almost 50% of our deployed set tops running on our X1 platform and we are adding about 40,000 more boxes every day on the X1 platform.    

There are plans for a  simpler and more surgically deployed guide release for A31 legacy set tops to address some of the issues that a few of our users have experienced and mentioned in this thread. That will likely not be until early 2017. We will certainly continue to support our legacy platform for some time. 

It's no secret that X1 is the on-screen guide interface that we are dedicating the most time, energy, money and resources to. It is a superior interface and allows for quicker enhancements and also for new feature rollouts nationally.

Apologies. If you are interested swapping your existing set tops for X1, please send me a PM (Private Message) and we can get a professional installation set up and the installation fee waived. More information on X1 can be found here: http://www.xfinity.com/x1a

ComcastTeds,

This is disappointing that Comcast made the decision to not go forward with the current A31 upgrade that was expected this year.

When you stated "This was a very difficult decision because there were multiple benefits in the release but the decision was based on numerous factors and the desire to focus on the future." What were these multiple benefits?

Do you know what differences there are between the now-canceled upgrade and the "simpler and more surgically deployed guide release" that you say will happen sometime in 2017?

With my current HD Preferred Plus Triple Play plan at $139, the DCX3400M and two DCX3200M boxes cost $10/month each. Also, my Internet is on the 105Mbps. The comparable X1 package says their internet speed is 150, so I feel that those of us with older plans (or older boxes) are being forgotten about.

The main reasons I have held-off from going to X1 is:

-My closest friend was a warehouse manager for Comcast for many years down here, and he kept telling me how many issues they had with X1 deployment and all the customer issues and complaints about it.

-The threads that I continue to read in here about current X1 issues.

-Not able to use an external Hard Drive like I currently have on my DCX3400 for added space. Besides that fact that I have a lot of programs on it that I would lose; too bad there's not way to hook-up the external drive to new boxes and keep the programming intact.

-There are certain channels that I watch the most: Local station, cable stations, HBO and Starz. No sports. So I don't need all the extra interactive sports screens that it has. I watch TV to watch TV, not to feel like I'm using a PC (I have a PC and Smartphone for that).

I know that X1/X2 is where Comcast placing all of their resources, money, and marketing forces. I can understand this, and I'm sure if will evolve and become better over time. I just wish that those of us haven't have made the jump yet weren't being forgotten about by Comcast. But that is the way it feel like...we're not fixing issues with older boxes, so you can move to X1 that has some issues of it's own.

-Thank you.

Official Employee

@Glenn54 wrote:

Yep, I kinda figured all along that's where this was heading. I highly doubt anyone was ever working the A31 update in the first place. 

Actually, code development was complete and we had already begun our internal testing for this release. This release was only recently cancelled in order to focus the right resources on the right projects that have the greatest positive impact on our customers and on our business.

Official Employee

@FAUguy wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@Glenn54 wrote:

This was a very difficult decision because there were multiple benefits in the release but the decison was based on numerous factors and the desire to focus on the future. We have almost 50% of our deployed set tops running on our X1 platform and we are adding about 40,000 more boxes every day on the X1 platform.    

There are plans for a  simpler and more surgically deployed guide release for A31 legacy set tops to address some of the issues that a few of our users have experienced and mentioned in this thread. That will likely not be until early 2017. We will certainly continue to support our legacy platform for some time. 

ComcastTeds,

This is disappointing that Comcast made the decision to not go forward with the current A31 upgrade that was expected this year.

When you stated "This was a very difficult decision because there were multiple benefits in the release but the decision was based on numerous factors and the desire to focus on the future." What were these multiple benefits? 

At a high level - there were certainly some code efficiency improvements, bug fixes, minor performance enhancements and additional self-service options for customers to self-diagnose and self-heal some minor issues.   

Do you know what differences there are between the now-canceled upgrade and the "simpler and more surgically deployed guide release" that you say will happen sometime in 2017?

With my current HD Preferred Plus Triple Play plan at $139, the DCX3400M and two DCX3200M boxes cost $10/month each. Also, my Internet is on the 105Mbps. The comparable X1 package says their internet speed is 150, so I feel that those of us with older plans (or older boxes) are being forgotten about.

The DVR monthly service price is the same whether you have X1 or our legacy DVR. In fact, you may not actually need two "true" DVRs on our X1 platform which could potentially save you money on your monthly service. Boxes on the X1 platform are networked and can access existing DVR recordings and schedule them as well.  The X1 DVRs currently have a 500 GB hard drive.

For Internet, we can also provide the faster speed to you for the 105Mbps price if that is a concern for you. 

-My closest friend was a warehouse manager for Comcast for many years down here, and he kept telling me how many issues they had with X1 deployment and all the customer issues and complaints about it.  That may have been a concern when we first deployed X1 but we now have over 40% of our cable boxes on this platform and we are adding about 40,000 set tops everyday. Our X1 platform has overwhelmingly high satisfaction marks from customers.  

-The threads that I continue to read in here about current X1 issues. The majority of these issues are due to signal level issues at the home. With X1, software and hardware issues and new features are also addressed and introduced regularly through weekly releases and updates; something that took 18 to 20 months to fix or correct on our legacy platform.  

-Not able to use an external Hard Drive like I currently have on my DCX3400 for added space. Besides that fact that I have a lot of programs on it that I would lose; too bad there's not way to hook-up the external drive to new boxes and keep the programming intact. Apologies, but yes this is correct. External hard drives are not supported with X1 and we don't currently have plans to do so.  

-There are certain channels that I watch the most: Local station, cable stations, HBO and Starz. No sports. So I don't need all the extra interactive sports screens that it has. I watch TV to watch TV, not to feel like I'm using a PC (I have a PC and Smartphone for that). You aren't required to use any of the X1 features and the sports feature is not intrusive if you don't watch sports channels. I'm sure that the voice remote (available at no additional charge) and advanced search features with X1 are something that you would find valuable.  

I know that X1/X2 is where Comcast placing all of their resources, money, and marketing forces. I can understand this, and I'm sure if will evolve and become better over time. I just wish that those of us haven't have made the jump yet weren't being forgotten about by Comcast. But that is the way it feel like...we're not fixing issues with older boxes, so you can move to X1 that has some issues of it's own. We are targeting fixes and enhancements for our older cable boxes, just the pace for that has always been much slower (due to many reasons). These legacy guide code releases are not a huge priority as we continue to have less and less of these boxes in customer homes and we have an alternative solution in place (at the same monthly price) that is a vastly improved experience. We will continue to have legacy cable boxes available (and support for them) for some time for any customer who chooses that option.   

-Thank you.

Some responses in-line above. Thanks for your feedback. 

Regular Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@FAUguy wrote:

ComcastTeds,

At a high level - there were certainly some code efficiency improvements, bug fixes, minor performance enhancements and additional self-service options for customers to self-diagnose and self-heal some minor issues.   

The DVR monthly service price is the same whether you have X1 or our legacy DVR. In fact, you may not actually need two "true" DVRs on our X1 platform which could potentially save you money on your monthly service. Boxes on the X1 platform are networked and can access existing DVR recordings and schedule them as well.  The X1 DVRs currently have a 500 GB hard drive.

For Internet, we can also provide the faster speed to you for the 105Mbps price if that is a concern for you. 

-My closest friend was a warehouse manager for Comcast for many years down here, and he kept telling me how many issues they had with X1 deployment and all the customer issues and complaints about it.  That may have been a concern when we first deployed X1 but we now have over 40% of our cable boxes on this platform and we are adding about 40,000 set tops everyday. Our X1 platform has overwhelmingly high satisfaction marks from customers.  

-The threads that I continue to read in here about current X1 issues. The majority of these issues are due to signal level issues at the home. With X1, software and hardware issues and new features are also addressed and introduced regularly through weekly releases and updates; something that took 18 to 20 months to fix or correct on our legacy platform.  

-Not able to use an external Hard Drive like I currently have on my DCX3400 for added space. Besides that fact that I have a lot of programs on it that I would lose; too bad there's not way to hook-up the external drive to new boxes and keep the programming intact. Apologies, but yes this is correct. External hard drives are not supported with X1 and we don't currently have plans to do so.  

-There are certain channels that I watch the most: Local station, cable stations, HBO and Starz. No sports. So I don't need all the extra interactive sports screens that it has. I watch TV to watch TV, not to feel like I'm using a PC (I have a PC and Smartphone for that). You aren't required to use any of the X1 features and the sports feature is not intrusive if you don't watch sports channels. I'm sure that the voice remote (available at no additional charge) and advanced search features with X1 are something that you would find valuable.  

I know that X1/X2 is where Comcast placing all of their resources, money, and marketing forces. I can understand this, and I'm sure if will evolve and become better over time. I just wish that those of us haven't have made the jump yet weren't being forgotten about by Comcast. But that is the way it feel like...we're not fixing issues with older boxes, so you can move to X1 that has some issues of it's own. We are targeting fixes and enhancements for our older cable boxes, just the pace for that has always been much slower (due to many reasons). These legacy guide code releases are not a huge priority as we continue to have less and less of these boxes in customer homes and we have an alternative solution in place (at the same monthly price) that is a vastly improved experience. We will continue to have legacy cable boxes available (and support for them) for some time for any customer who chooses that option.   

-Thank you.

ComcastTeds,

Sorry if I didn't properly explain:

I only have one DVR, the DCX3400M (hub) which has the built-in 500GB drive, which I also have the 2TB External Drive connected to. My other two boxes are the DCX3200M (nodes) that can access the DVR records. So that it $10 for each, $30 monthy for the 3 boxes total.

I appreciate all your answers. But the only way I could really ever see myself going with X1 is having a higher capacity than the 500GB internal. Before I connected the external drive, my 500GB internal was always at 80% full. But right now (a year later) with my 2TB connected I'm at 48%. I love having the extra space.

Regular Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@Glenn54 wrote:

Actually, code development was complete and we had already begun our internal testing for this release. This release was only recently cancelled in order to focus the right resources on the right projects that have the greatest positive impact on our customers and on our business.

Hi Ted .... After the engineers visited and collected the actionable data from my home last year in the Portland/Vancouver area to help Arris generate the updated code, I was wondering if employee testing determined that (at the very least) the tuning lag delay was improved?   That really was the only complaint from many of your legacy users who still represent the majority of Comcast's clients.

If such improvement was seen, I don't understand why this beta code can not be selectively deployed to those clients who are experiencing the tuner lag (mostly those who are using Expanders)?

Official Employee

@FAUguy wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@FAUguy wrote:

ComcastTeds,

-Thank you.

ComcastTeds,

Sorry if I didn't properly explain:

I only have one DVR, the DCX3400M (hub) which has the built-in 500GB drive, which I also have the 2TB External Drive connected to. My other two boxes are the DCX3200M (nodes) that can access the DVR records. So that it $10 for each, $30 monthy for the 3 boxes total.

I appreciate all your answers. But the only way I could really ever see myself going with X1 is having a higher capacity than the 500GB internal. Before I connected the external drive, my 500GB internal was always at 80% full. But right now (a year later) with my 2TB connected I'm at 48%. I love having the extra space.

Understood. The 2 TB drive is hard to beat.  

Official Employee

@eecon1 wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@Glenn54 wrote:

Hi Ted .... After the engineers visited and collected the actionable data from my home last year in the Portland/Vancouver area to help Arris generate the updated code, I was wondering if employee testing determined that (at the very least) the tuning lag delay was improved?   That really was the only complaint from many of your legacy users who still represent the majority of Comcast's clients.

If such improvement was seen, I don't understand why this beta code can not be selectively deployed to those clients who are experiencing the tuner lag (mostly those who are using Expanders)?

The updated version wasn't yet in employee homes (it was scheduled to do that in June) but it had gone through our initial and comprehensive TQM testing (Total Quality Management) in our Downingtown, PA labs. Some links below (from 2008) on that facility if you are interested

http://www.multichannel.com/news/cable-operators/cover-story-inside-comcast-s-downingtown/330598
https://vimeo.com/8826689
https://vimeo.com/8824726

The teams won't move ahead with allowing this version to go to customers as it hasn't been tested beyond our test lab environment, it creates too many variables in the headend and in customer's homes and it is something that we aren't going to deploy.

My recollection on the tuning lag delay that you referenced is that it is limited to some legacy DVR types on our Motorola platform - so the universe is even smaller. Not sure if the DVR expander (external hard drive) has been confirmed to be a contributing factor, but if it is/was, that would then put the number of customers/set tops impacted even lower (a subset of a subset of a subset).     

I am not saying that it's not impactful and certainly the situation is not ideal, just providing some background.

The impact is not felt by the majority of our customers as you alluded to above.

Apologies that this is not the answer that you were looking for. 

Silver Problem Solver

The tuning lag seems to exist on all Motorola's. The newer DCX3400 is much better than my old DCT6412, but it can still take several seconds to change channels, do a tuner swap, or toggle between live and a recording, after it has been buffering a channel for awhile.

New Poster

On a side note, would anyone happen to know if the DCX3400 can output component and HDMI video simoltaniusly?

Regular Contributor

@Glenn54 wrote:

On a side note, would anyone happen to know if the DCX3400 can output component and HDMI video simoltaniusly?

Yes ..... When the three Comcast technical team members visited my home last year for about half a day to record and extract a bunch of actionable data to help them and the Arris/Motorola engineers develop the planned, but now now-cancelled, update to A31 (via a service connection port on the back of the DVR), we had both my Component and HDMI cables connected to the HDTV.   We were switching back and forth from those simultaneously connected Component and HDMI outputs to the HDTV ... both were active simultaneously with the same programming.  Furthermore, the RF Coax output on my DCX3400-M is also active and outputing the same programming simultaneously.  Thus, we have 3 simultaneous active outputs on my DCX3400-M ..... I believe the same applies to the DCX3501-M and also the non-M versions of those DVRs (the non-AnyRoom versions), but maybe a Comcast employee can chime in here to confirm.

Note that all 3 of those outputs can only display the same channel simultaneously (i.e. not 3 different channels simultaneously).

Valued Contributor

I'd love to find out when Comcast will start pushing the X1 guide UI over onto the Cisco and Motorola/Arris RNG200N boxes

Silver Problem Solver

Never. X1 requires their own boxes that have 6 or more tuners.