Community Forum

Auto-extend recording

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Re: Auto-extend recording

Why should  a paying subscriber have to extend a program recording time? Why is it up to the paying consumer to be in front of their tv set 24/7 in case a program that is scheduled runs over onto xfinity`s "posted" recording time. Why is it so hard for xfinity to just record to the end a show that was programmed to record at that time. America and xfinity doesn`t have the talent to figure that out or is that a job over time issue. What a bunch of cheap bunk. It`s 2017 xfinity. Stay up to date or move over.

New Poster

Looks like I am very late to the game on the this forum (I just joined the forums becaue I am having the same frustrations as a few others with recording sporting events). I certainly know how to set individual games to auto extend, but the issue is that to set your X1 to automatically record the whole season of a team's games, the only option is to set that team as a favorite. The issues with that are:

1) It records every game, rerun of the game, coaching show, etc which fills up your DVR very quickly and if you go out of town for a few days, you come back to a DVR full of repeats and coaching shows and you filled your DVR meaning it deleted the movies you had been waiting to watch. Yes, I realize you can manually go in and delete the scheduled recordings of these, but it is very time consuming, and if you leave town unexpectedly, you aren't able to do this in time.

2) I assume because it records more than just the games (all I want recorded), you cannot set the season/favorite team to extend ALL recordings for that team, so I regularly have multiple recordings of the same game that more often than not have not captured the whole game.

So, I was hoping there is some way, that I have not figured out, to record just a team's games, with extended time for all of them, without having to set the games individually, or set the team as a favorite to avoid all the other stuff you don't want recorded? It sounds like a big ask until I realize I could do that with my very old Comcast DVR and can do it on DircecTV's DVR. Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Contributor

Understanding that Auto-extend still has room for improvement to get to a point where users can depend on it to completely record a game that runs over, I'd like to suggest some further enhancements Comcast could work on in the future.

1. When NCAA football games run over on ESPN they will often start the broadcast of the next game on ESPN2 or ESPN News. If you've setup recording of that next game it would be fantastic if the system automatically knew to start the recording on the alternate station and then switch over to the original station when the previous game has finished.

2. Similarly, sometimes the final round of a golf tournement on CBS will run over so long that they eventually switch coverage to golf channel. Would be great if the recording was able to automatically switch at that point.

Silver Problem Solver

It's certainly there for the SPORTS I record.

Maybe you aren't looking in the right category or maybe the X1 doesn't include your sport in the auto-extend category.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

That's great but not found in my menu anywhere. That info you found dated back to June so maybe the earlier post that said they were having issues and might have pulled it is the reality. Again my issue is the scheduled games all have to be individually programmed to accommodate any possibly timing issue that day or overtime etc. Pre-programmed favorites will get cut off if schedule or games extend past pre-planned slot.
Silver Problem Solver

Frequent Visitor

Please tell me where this auto-extend is found in the X1 DVR programming. Somehow this issue has moved to revolve around this and I cannot locate anywhere in the system. I found that I can individually set up recording early and later but on a game by game basis and if relying on the DVR to pick up a scheduled game that I cannot make it to watch or change then nothing can be done. This auto-extend being talked about would be helpful
Silver Problem Solver

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-modify-the-recording-time-of-a-program

And rick, I know auto extend is iffy, I was more just saying that if he didn't extend the recording or even try to use auto extend, then it's not a DVR probem.

Silver Problem Solver

AFIAK, sports can be scheduled just like any other program in the Guide.  I record my pro football game every week and I always add at least an hour to it.

And there are several ways to get a "series" of a pro football game.  I don't record/watch hockey.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

So each individual game (I record hockey games) would have to be highlighted and extended?  I rely on the X1 to record when I am not available to watch the game.  That would only work if I know I'm not going to be available.  Isn't there a way to extend (or start early finish late) sports games?  Why can you do it on other recordings but not sports?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: DVR stops recording before game is over

Until such time that Comcast makes an anouuncement of the Auto Extend feature being fixed, when selecting to record a game from within the Guide, scroll to "STOP" and change this to "30 Minutes Late", "1 Hour Late", or "1 1/2 Hours Late" and then select CONFIRM.  This will ensure you record any game that extends past its scheduled time slot.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

Gold Problem Solver

jmschedler wrote:

Example of the "lock on DVR mode" sentence

When the DVR cut off i tried to search for the game and the only option for the current game was the DVR recording and starts at the beginning of the game again.  No live channel option to try to pick up the tail end of the game.  I suppose I could do a channel search but why wouldn't the system have that option to go to the live channel?

If the game went past the scheduled time slot, a search for the game would come up with no results except for the recording as the scheduled time slot had expired and was no longer available in the guide.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

Gold Problem Solver

John,

I think we need to be clear here. Auto Extend has been a HUGE question mark. Comcast has already said they were having issues with it. I have posted many times in this forum that I think they pulled it. As I write this, Auto Extend is not an option here in the Twin Cities.

That being said, until Comcast comes clear about the current status of Auto Extend, all Comcast X1 users should become familiar with the on line DVR Manager and use that to add record time.

John3758 wrote:

...did you set the recording to stop late or use auto extend?

You should be doing this on all sporting events.

If you didn't do this then I would hardly call this a DVR issue.

Frequent Visitor

Example of the "lock on DVR mode" sentence

When the DVR cut off i tried to search for the game and the only option for the current game was the DVR recording and starts at the beginning of the game again.  No live channel option to try to pick up the tail end of the game.  I suppose I could do a channel search but why wouldn't the system have that option to go to the live channel?

Frequent Visitor

Auto extend?  I am no expert but I am pretty good with devices.  I just went through the X1 and couldn't find any setting that would allow me to customize the recording.  If you can do you have to do it to each idividual game?  Every game?  Where exactly in the menu is the option to do this?

I came in late and used the voice control to find the game.  It only finds the recording currently going and doesn't have an option for the live channel.  I have to fast forward to the live sectoin of the DVR recording and then now and then it stops before the game is over and the voice control only goes back to the recording and again no option for the live channel.  

Thanks for your help.

Expert

Re: X1 DVR Fails at Sports Recording...again!

Zaxx81 wrote:
Recorded a college football game with a "favorite team", my DVR recording ended before the fourth quarter even started! Unable to automatically extend favorites and no settings to not record all the non-game stuff that fills my DVR (replays, press talks, etc.).

for live sports it is easiest to look at the schedule and record and extra couple of hours by hitting record on the next show or show after that too.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Expert

jmschedler wrote:
My xfinity X1 system is nice for he most part but tonight it cut off my hockey game in overtime shootout. I couldn't get the channel back and missed the end of the game. It's not the first time this has happened. When in DVR recording mode it won't let me watch the channel live. Only the recording and when watching the recording in real time (live) it will cut off prior to the actual end of the game and I cannot find the live version. Totally frustrating that the system locks in on DVR mode and won't let the user switch to the live channel

could you give an example of the last sentence? 

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Silver Problem Solver

...did you set the recording to stop late or use auto extend?

You should be doing this on all sporting events.

If you didn't do this then I would hardly call this a DVR issue.

New Poster

X1 DVR Fails at Sports Recording...again!

Recorded a college football game with a "favorite team", my DVR recording ended before the fourth quarter even started! Unable to automatically extend favorites and no settings to not record all the non-game stuff that fills my DVR (replays, press talks, etc.).
Frequent Visitor

DVR stops recording before game is over

My xfinity X1 system is nice for he most part but tonight it cut off my hockey game in overtime shootout. I couldn't get the channel back and missed the end of the game. It's not the first time this has happened. When in DVR recording mode it won't let me watch the channel live. Only the recording and when watching the recording in real time (live) it will cut off prior to the actual end of the game and I cannot find the live version. Totally frustrating that the system locks in on DVR mode and won't let the user switch to the live channel
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Auto Extend

deleted

Expert

Re: Auto Extend

robertjobin5714 wrote:

I can find no help topics that pertain to Auto Extend. What is it supposed to do and is it working properly?

on the previous threads basically it is in beta, most use it but add the show or two after it as recordings for insurance. If you have shows that you record following that event they will not be extended/changed.

New Poster

Auto Extend

I can find no help topics that pertain to Auto Extend. What is it supposed to do and is it working properly?

New Poster

auto extend doesn't work

New Poster

It worked well when the Giants game went only to nine innings.  About 5 seconds after the last out in the bottom of the ninth, the recrding stopped.  Then Saturday night, the Giants game went 11 innings, but the recording stopped after the 10th inning, which I think was at exactly 1 hour of extra recording.  Are there more details or limitations to auto-extend that we might like to hear?

Thanks!

Regular Contributor

And then, of course, it also extends the recording that follows on the same channel -- i.e. the recording that got screwed up by the previous over run Smiley Happy <sacrcasm intended>

Regular Contributor

That sounds really useful. Looking forward to seeing it work in practice. Just out of curiosity, is there an industry standard that works with all networks doing live events or is it limited to specific channels or something specific to Comcast?

Thanks for the quick reply!

Official Employee

It means the system detects a live event is going over scheduled time and will continue recording until the live event is finished
Regular Contributor

I am now seeing Auto Extend as a default setting when setting up recordings for Live Sports Events (BPL Soccer on NBCSN specifically). If I leave this selected, how exactly does it work?

Bronze Problem Solver

SteveKC64086 wrote:

The drawback is that I don't always know that the show will be delayed.  A good example of this is the Mentalist,  which I tape every week. Tonight, for whatever reason, the show was delayed until 9:12 PM CT.. which means it would end at 10:12, twelve minutes after my scheduled reporting would have stopped.

I had heard about some European process that would have kept recording until 10:12, at which time the network would pass a "broadcast end" flag, so that DVRs would know the program is complete, and they could stop recording.

On Sunday night it's always a good idea to record an hours worth of programming beyond the show you're interested in.  That's saved us many times.

Official Employee

That "whatever reason" was the Masters that ran late.
New Poster

The drawback is that I don't always know that the show will be delayed.  A good example of this is the Mentalist,  which I tape every week. Tonight, for whatever reason, the show was delayed until 9:12 PM CT.. which means it would end at 10:12, twelve minutes after my scheduled reporting would have stopped.

I had heard about some European process that would have kept recording until 10:12, at which time the network would pass a "broadcast end" flag, so that DVRs would know the program is complete, and they could stop recording.

Official Employee

If you are worried about extending a recording use the guide highlight channel with left arrow and extend up to 7 hrs
New Poster

Auto-extend recording

I have read that, in Europe, television shows will send a "end of broadcast" flag along with their tv streams.  This means that if you set a television show to record,  it will automatically record until that flag is received.. so if your show was delayed because of sports, for example, you won't have to rush home to extend the recording, the DVR will do it automatically.

Could that be done here?  And is that something within Comcast's control, or is that an industry thing?