Community Forum

Auto Pad Recordings Question

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Problem Solver

Auto Pad Recordings Question

Not sure if this should be in the X1 forum or the X1 Apps forum, but I'll try here first.  I just decided to start using the "Auto Pad Recordings" option in Comcast Labs. Seems to do what is says it should do for recordings by adding 1 minute prior and 3 minutes following for each scheduled recording.  However, it only adds the padding on the physical DVR copy of the recording. The Cloud DVR copy of the recording remains unaffected.  So if you want to rely on the Auto Pad to add the extra time on the end of a recording, and you decide to watch the Cloud DVR copy, you end up being cheated by missing the ending sometimes.  Is this how Auto Pad is suppose to work?  Why not extend the Cloud DVR recording as well? If I manually add time to the end of scheduled recording, then both the physical and Cloud DVR get the added time when the recording takes place.  Kind of defeats the purpose of Auto Pad if it only works on the physical DVR copy.

Tags (1)
Expert

Re: Auto Pad Recordings Question

@HowAboutThisOne wrote:

Not sure if this should be in the X1 forum or the X1 Apps forum, but I'll try here first.  I just decided to start using the "Auto Pad Recordings" option in Comcast Labs. Seems to do what is says it should do for recordings by adding 1 minute prior and 3 minutes following for each scheduled recording.  However, it only adds the padding on the physical DVR copy of the recording. The Cloud DVR copy of the recording remains unaffected.  So if you want to rely on the Auto Pad to add the extra time on the end of a recording, and you decide to watch the Cloud DVR copy, you end up being cheated by missing the ending sometimes.  Is this how Auto Pad is suppose to work?  Why not extend the Cloud DVR recording as well? If I manually add time to the end of scheduled recording, then both the physical and Cloud DVR get the added time when the recording takes place.  Kind of defeats the purpose of Auto Pad if it only works on the physical DVR copy.

very interesting. I have the comcast lab's new navigation bar so it shows by the second your position and full recorded time. I tested a 9/9 recording of dark matter between iphone and DVR. I was able to tell on that one episode (didn't check others) that the 'beginning' one minute pad is not being honored on the cloud DVR. This is 2nd season so the entry already existed with start "on time" and end "5 minutes late". The actual recording though on the DVR had the one minute beginning pad as advertised and I guess since the 5 minutes stop extension was longer than the 3 it was honored on both. 

I wonder if I set the 5 minutes late to on time if the one minute early would then be honored by the cloud DVR. very interesting.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Valued Contributor

Yes, cloud copies are not automatically padded.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Expert

@ComcastGwen wrote:

is it in progress of being applied to cloud DVR too? else, the feature is not going to work for those that watch shows on devices and the end is cut off (the original problem).

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Problem Solver

Why not?  Seems like a half baked solution only padding the physical DVR. Makes it a useless feature for anyone relying on Cloud DVR recordings.

Also, let me get this straight.  Wasn't the recording buffer taken away in order to keep the recordings in sync between the physical DVR and Cloud DVR? So now you add an option to "Auto Pad" recordings but only allow it on the physical DVR, thereby forcing the Cloud and Physical DVR copies to go out of sync. Wow, got to love Comcast's mindset!

@ComcastGwen wrote:

Silver Problem Solver

@HowAboutThisOne wrote:

Why not?  Seems like a half baked solution only padding the physical DVR. Makes it a useless feature for anyone relying on Cloud DVR recordings.

Also, let me get this straight.  Wasn't the recording buffer taken away in order to keep the recordings in sync between the physical DVR and Cloud DVR? So now you add an option to "Auto Pad" recordings but only allow it on the physical DVR, thereby forcing the Cloud and Physical DVR copies to go out of sync. Wow, got to love Comcast's mindset!

@ComcastGwen wrote:

Good catch!

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Valued Contributor

Hi,

May I ask why you're relying solely on cloud recordings? Are you having problems with your DVR?

Gwen

Problem Solver

No problems with the DVR, and not relying solely on the Cloud recordings. Probably a 50/50 split, though sometimes more one way than the other. Just embracing the technology being offered to me.

Regardless, my experience between the two platforms should be seamless.

@ComcastGwen wrote:

Hi,

May I ask why you're relying solely on cloud recordings? Are you having problems with your DVR?

Gwen

Expert

@ComcastGwen wrote:

Hi,

Gwen

i'm slowly putting back the manual padding on series as I had no idea that comcast was going to still cut off the end of shows due to starting nearly a uniform 25 seconds early and ending 29 seconds before ending time. The autopad should (in my opinion) have been put in teh 'scheduler" not in the software of the DVR. Makes no sense to me to fix one and leave teh cloud copies of recordings in an unfixed situation.

Problem Solver

Hey ComcastGwen, any followup on if, and possibly when "Auto Pad" is going to be added to the Cloud DVR experience? Us Cloud DVR adopters are not feeling the love. Sure would be nice to have a consistent experience between the physical and Cloud DVRs. Waiting with bated breath.

@ComcastGwen wrote:

Problem Solver

Rustyben, the problem with manually padding your recordings is you can cause conflicts in the recording schedule. As an example, if you have 6 1 hour recordings scheduled at 8 pm and another 6 scheduled at 9 pm, and you manually padded all the 8 pm shows, the 6 at 9 pm will be bumped due to conflicts.  The "Auto Pad" setting is suppose to remedy that by not taking place if it causes a conflict (see this message).

Another reason this option needs to be propagated to the Cloud DVR.

Still waiting on ComcastGwen to give any update on if (and when) this will happen.

Rustyben wrote:

i'm slowly putting back the manual padding on series as I had no idea that comcast was going to still cut off the end of shows due to starting nearly a uniform 25 seconds early and ending 29 seconds before ending time. The autopad should (in my opinion) have been put in teh 'scheduler" not in the software of the DVR. Makes no sense to me to fix one and leave teh cloud copies of recordings in an unfixed situation.

Valued Contributor

Hi,

We will begin supporting Auto Pad in the cloud around this time next year.

Thanks,

Gwen

Problem Solver

Thanks for the response. Shocked that it will take a whole year to implement. Guess I'll have to mark my calendar.

@ComcastGwen wrote:

Hi,

We will begin supporting Auto Pad in the cloud around this time next year.

Thanks,

Gwen