Community Forum

Audio volume too low on XG1v4 4K box

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Re: Audio volume too low on XG1v4 4K box

We have had the same problem. My husband just went to settings/device settings/audio and changed from Sterio to Auto Detect in the HDMI Audio Output area. It is back to the old volume range that we had with our old box. We have issues using On Demand and things freezing and being pixelated....tech coming on Thursday. Good luck everyone. I sure miss the old Comcast with one cord to connect and never had problems. These cheap boxes they keep coming up with aren't worth the money.
Regular Visitor

@sesselmarder I am glad you mentioned that because that is what I was betting would happen. Thanks for the info. I think I will try at least one and see if it has the same results. I will be sure to post again and let everyone know.
Frequent Visitor

@LittleHulk I already tried 3 different XG1v4 boxes and they all had the same problem.

Regular Visitor

@ComcastElla thanks! I will send that information this evening.
Contributor

@ComcastElla wrote:

@sesselmarder - I understand your frustration. However, I personally ship at least 2-3 XG1v4 boxes on a daily basis and I haven't received any complaints regarding the volume. I also asked my co-workers who have these boxes - they have no issues as well.  

Well I'd like to add my 2 cents.....the audio level is low.. I have a mid to high end  sound system and I just switched from Directv .  I've got a 4k/hdr tv with a Dolby Atmos surround sound system. I've tried both expert and 5.1 settings with no change, currently set to expert setting within the xg1v4 audio setting. The one thing that bugs me is the low sound level of the dvr recordings, really low, other than that I've re-calibrated my audio settings through my Onkyo receiver.

Official Employee

@sesselmarder -  I had never said that you have a defective TV or AV system. The feature causes lower input but not to the point when you cannot hear anything.

@Prhodes1 - Your PM feature is enabled. Please let me know if you still experience issues. 

@LittleHulk - The new feature does result a lower volume in comparison with older versions. The main word is lower but not too low. If you experience a very unusual low volume - I can ship you a new box at no cost to you. Just send me a private message and include your full name, account holder's name, and a phone number. 

Regular Visitor

ComcastElla I would like to provide more feedback and tell you that in my case it is an issue. My setup is simple. Just the 4K box connected to a new Sony 900F 4K tv. I still have to turn the tv volume way up to hear programs at a decent level. I know I have stated this here already but this new audio “feature” appears to be the problem. I have no problems with sound from my 4K player, video game system or even tv apps. Would you please tell them I (we) need an off option for this? If other people aren’t having a problem I do wonder if I have a defective box. But I sure don’t want to pay shipping again to replace it.
Silver Problem Solver

@Prhodes1 wrote:
Hi Ella I would like to.private message u but can't

Can you see a "send message" to the right?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Visitor

Hi Ella I would like to.private message u but can't
Frequent Visitor

For the affected people, the only option is to switch to a different provider if you want a 4K box.

All I see is that I pay roughly $2400 per year and I get bad audio for this.

Am I supposed to buy a new TV now? If I had a crazy brand TV, that would be another story. But I have a LG TV from last year and I don't think this should happen.

Why is it so difficult to offer the "old audio" as a menu option, so the affected people can change it?

I honestly don't get it.

Official Employee

@Reverence - If it was an issue, it would affect all customers the same way. The new feature does result a lower output but not to the point when you have an "audio issue" and cannot enjoy the live TV/On-demand experience. However, since there are customers who are experiencing difficulties with the new feature, we are monitoring those feedbacks. At this point, we haven't received enough feedback to make any significant changes. 

New Poster

So what other options do we have if we want a 4k box and how do we go about getting one of those instead to try and fix the volume issue?
Official Employee

@Reverence- The XG1v4 box is an option. Each customer has different setups, different TV/AV system models. As I've mentioned, we do monitor the feedback we get from the customers. 

New Poster

Interesting that you're saying there's no issue but your coworker has mentioned that there is a new "feature" that was implemented that results in lower output volume. So it's clear this lower output is affecting different customers differently, so those customers should be given the option to disable this feature or try a different box.
Official Employee

@sesselmarder - I understand your frustration. However, I personally ship at least 2-3 XG1v4 boxes on a daily basis and I haven't received any complaints regarding the volume. I also asked my co-workers who have these boxes - they have no issues as well.  

Frequent Visitor

It is the easiest way to say that something is intended the way it is.

If people would start switching providers in mass, the problem would be fixed immediately.
Official Employee

Hello all,

There is no ignorance. ComcastLeon confirmed that the reported behavior is working as intended. We monitor customers' feedback and will make changes if necessary. 

Silver Problem Solver

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Audio-volume-too-low-on-XG1v4-4K-box/m-p/3100859#M150458

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

It somehow must be equipment related or the combination of equipments. I even had the 4K box swapped, the second one had the same issue.

My TV is a LG OLED C7, The model from last year.
But I am also experiencing the same problem, when my 4K box is connected to my new Yamaha receiver. It is also less than one year old.

What bothers me is Xfinity’s ignorance. There are certainly several people with this issue.
Silver Problem Solver

@sesselmarder wrote:
No solution as of now. Looks like Xfinity did not receive enough complaints yet. Ridiculous for all the monthly money they receive.

Strange.  I've had two 4k boxes for months and I have never had this issue.  Maybe a difference in equipment?  

Frequent Visitor

No solution as of now. Looks like Xfinity did not receive enough complaints yet. Ridiculous for all the monthly money they receive.
Regular Visitor

I also have the same issue.  Volume is way lower than my previous non 4K box.  I have to turn the volume up much higher than before especially with on demand movies.  Is there a fix?  I've tried changing audio setting from Dolby to Stereo but to no avail.

Thanks

Silver Problem Solver

@Akr2 wrote:

I have a different problem. Only CBS - channel 802- has distinctly lower volume. All other channels ( I only watch HD) are fine. 

Setup up is 4k Infinity box hdmi to LG OLED out optical to Definitive Technologies W Studio soundbar. 

Volume using the hd X1 DVR I had previously was fine - this issue is only with the 4 K box. 

Frequent Visitor

I have a different problem. Only CBS - channel 802- has distinctly lower volume. All other channels ( I only watch HD) are fine. 

Setup up is 4k Infinity box hdmi to LG OLED out optical to Definitive Technologies W Studio soundbar. 

Volume using the hd X1 DVR I had previously was fine - this issue is only with the 4 K box. 

Silver Problem Solver

@MarlowW wrote:
So it’s WAD that I have to pump the volume sky-high watching a recording and then switching back to channels I get blasted out if I fon’t Decrease button first? I din’t Buy it. I agree with others about turning off this “feechure.” Leave it to control our volume with simoleTV audio or sophisticated audio systems.

I can't figure out what is causing this issue; I have two XG1v4 boxes, one connected by HDMI to a 1080p TV and another one connected by HDMI to a Vizio 4k TV.  Does yours connect in a different way?

New Poster

So it’s WAD that I have to pump the volume sky-high watching a recording and then switching back to channels I get blasted out if I fon’t Decrease button first? I din’t Buy it. I agree with others about turning off this “feechure.” Leave it to control our volume with simoleTV audio or sophisticated audio systems.
New Poster

I just got a new box Thursday. Audio is markedly lower when playing recordings from DVR, but lower than before . This problem with Roku was a simple audio setting to change.
New Poster

Yes, me too.  The background music is 2x louder than voices. Tried every adjustment on both tv and box.  No luck!  Thinking of asking comcast to put in old technology X1

Regular Contributor

Also with the new “feature” I have to max my bass output which still there is very minimal bass (non-existence)

If I switch to my Xbox or fire tv. Audio on those devices are 100% louder and the bass actually can be felt and needs to be turned down a little

Also to link forums here is another forum of users having similar complaints

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Xfinity-4K-XG1v4-AR-AX014ANM-Box-Sound-Bass-Issues/m-p/3102468#M1506...
New Poster

I agree with the other posts; we should be given the option for this volume "feature". It is more of an issue than a feature. If it isn't resolved then I'm going to have to replace my v4 with a v3; this is just not acceptable. I used to be able to keep my volume on 35-40, now I need to keep it between 60 and 70. Please fix!

Frequent Visitor

Hi 

Regular Visitor

Hi ComcastLeon! Thanks for the reply. I appreciate that you are trying to make this new box better than the others but the volume output is just too low. I have to turn my tv up to between 40 and 50 for a decent sound for me. Granted I do have a little trouble with my hearing but the sound from my previous regular X1 box was much better. Could you create a firmware with the option to turn that feature off if we like? An example why is if my tv is up high while watching from this box then I switch to my Blu-ray player the sound is way too high. Yes I know to turn the tv down first but I shouldn’t have to do that. Please consider giving us the option to turn it off or make the output like the previous units. I would really appreciate that. Off the subject a little..... I sure hope some 4K content is coming our way to make this box useful.
Thanks again for letting us know.
Official Employee

Hi everyone. The reported behavior is working as intended. For XG1v4 we have implemented a feature that maintains a more consistent volume across different delivery methods (live TV, on-demand, etc.). This results in a lower output compared to XG1v1 and XG1v3 since these platforms don't currently have the feature deployed. For those that upgrade from an XG1v1/XG1v3 to an XG1v4, you may notice the volume difference, especially comparing back to back.

This feature is currently deployed on XG1v4, Xi devices and XG2v2 and the HDMI audio output on all of these devices is equivelant.

Official Employee

Thank you all for your input, I greatly appreciate it. I will pass all your comments to the engineering team. 

Frequent Visitor

I just tried the same thing.
However I did not experience the same you did when trying to fast forward a DVR recording...
Frequent Visitor

True, it is not happening to all users.
But then again, I have the same problem when I connect the cable box to my AV receiver. It would be a huge coincidence, If my TV and AVR would both have a problem....
New Poster

What's odd is when you're in a DVR recording, right as you start to fast forward it's like the volume tries to go higher like the level it should be, but then doesn't. Other people should try that. Maybe it can help the engineers identify the issue.
Regular Visitor

Thank you for looking into it. I also tried the YouTube and iHeartRadio apps and both of those seemed low to me just like the tv channels. I will check my recordings and on demand later to see how that does.
New Poster

I'm having the same issue on my Sony X900e using built in speakers and a higher speed 4K Compliant HDMI cable.
Official Employee

Hello all, 

I'm currently investigating the issue with the low volume on 4K DVRs.  As @RobertWy mentioned, this issue doesn't affect all customers and we are trying to find a cause. I will update this post as soon as I get any relevant information.

Silver Problem Solver

@sesselmarder wrote:

I fully agree. But we need Xfinity to admit the problem and fix it....

The question is why is it not happening with ALL users?  I have two 4k boxes and neither one has the issue AFAICT.

Frequent Visitor

I fully agree. But we need Xfinity to admit the problem and fix it....

Frequent Visitor

I have the exact same problem withe same TV as sesselmarder, it's not the tv, it's the new XG1v4 TV box .

Regular Visitor

Thanks for your reply sesselmarder. I hope they can help you figure it out. I look forward to hearing if it gets fixed.
Thanks!
Frequent Visitor

no, unfortunately the problem has not been resolved yet.

I am in contact with Xfinity and already received multiple suggestions, but nothing worked yet.

Once we find a problem, I will post it here.

Expert

@LittleHulk wrote:
I have the same low volume issue with live tv or recordings. I have a certified hdmi cable hooked to a new Sony XBR-55X900F. Were you able to resolve this problem?
Thanks!

follow the directions in the post just above your post. be sure to give the reason you are sending the private message.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Regular Visitor

I have the same low volume issue with live tv or recordings. I have a certified hdmi cable hooked to a new Sony XBR-55X900F. Were you able to resolve this problem?
Thanks!
Official Employee

@sesselmarder - Thank you! Could you please send me a private message with your full name, the account holder's name and address as it's listed on the billing statement, a phone or an account number. Click on my name ComcastElla, then click Private Message Me. I will need to check your account. 

Frequent Visitor

Hello 

Official Employee

Hi, sesselmarder - Just to confirm, what audio setup do you currently have? Do you experience low volume on Live TV and On Demand/Recordings?