Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

App Request: A DLNA compliant "Media Player" function for home Media Servers.

Frequent Visitor

App Request: A DLNA compliant "Media Player" function for home Media Servers.

As everyone talks about "cutting the cord", Comcast needs to find new ways to retain it's customers, as well as capture new ones. I currently use either my old PS3 or a Western Digital Live media player, both DLNA compliant devices, to stream my video content via my Media Server. I'm not an expert, but I would think that the X1 box has the capability of performing this Media Player function with not too much effort.

Expert

Re: App Request: A DLNA compliant "Media Player" function for home Media Servers.

DLNA is obsolete.  The new wireless STB boxes from Comcast are one alternative when they become available, but I don't think that's what you were hoping for.

Expert

Re: App Request: A DLNA compliant "Media Player" function for home Media Servers.

adding.. they recently took Vidipath off the Comcast Labs menu. I tried to use it but apparently was a closed beta (I had it enabled). Link to feature (over a year old) below.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Vidipath-DLNA-DVR-server-help-and-assistance/m-p/2704817

New Poster

RobertWy wrote:

DLNA is obsolete.  The new wireless STB boxes from Comcast are one alternative when they become available, but I don't think that's what you were hoping for.

No DLNA is still viable.  What has happened is a move to browser apps.  My Synology DLNA server also has a Video app which supports cover art, metadata, searches etc.  Android TVs aka Newer Sony TVs support an Android app with full feature set.  Samsung TVs support a custom Synology app with fewer features.  DLNA works with nearly every TV as it requires a lower hardware and software bar. 

Maybe we are talking the first versions of DLNA also called RVU when used for Satellite TV.  It uses some portions of HTML4 but has a menu using pictures; this is obsolite.  RUI/Vidipath/DLNA uses a browser for the UI, HTML 5 <video> and Playready for DRM.  It's a subset of a full browser.  DLNA version numbers are up to 4 which supports HEVC.  A modern 4K TV should also be able to support DLNA 4.

Since every 4K TV has a browser as ATSC 3.0 requires a browser screen for display, we are moving to browser based media sharing from servers.  Full ATSC 3.0 change over is at least a decade away so DLNA will be needed for the 1080P Smart TVs still on the market for many years to come.  Every 4K TV I have also supports DLNA.

Frequent Visitor

Jeff_rigby wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

No DLNA is still viable.  What has happened is a move to browser apps.  My Synology DLNA server also has a Video app which supports cover art, metadata, searches etc.  Android TVs aka Newer Sony TVs support an Android app with full feature set.  Samsung TVs support a custom Synology app with fewer features.  DLNA works with nearly every TV as it requires a lower hardware and software bar. 

Maybe we are talking the first versions of DLNA also called RVU when used for Satellite TV.  It uses some portions of HTML4 but has a menu using pictures; this is obsolite.  RUI/Vidipath/DLNA uses a browser for the UI, HTML 5 <video> and Playready for DRM.  It's a subset of a full browser.  DLNA version numbers are up to 4 which supports HEVC.  A modern 4K TV should also be able to support DLNA 4.

Since every 4K TV has a browser as ATSC 3.0 requires a browser screen for display, we are moving to browser based media sharing from servers.  Full ATSC 3.0 change over is at least a decade away so DLNA will be needed for the 1080P Smart TVs still on the market for many years to come.  Every 4K TV I have also supports DLNA.

I agree with Jeff, and respectfully not with Robert.

DLNA (https://www.dlna.org/) is far from dead, if you have any Media Server setup. It's the only stable standard whereby most modern devices can stream video and play audio media from any PC that's running Media Server software (a.k.a. Universal (PS3) Media Server, etc.). PS3/4, XBox, and the majority of newer DVD/BluRay players and smart TV's support DLNA.

With that being said, my sugestion was primarily so that those of us that do use a Media Server setup, having the ability to stream my personal media library without having to switch a bunch of equipment would make life easier (One STB for all uses. What a concept).

Lastely Robert, those X1 wireless STB's are apparently FUBAR. I'm in a community in Orlando where Comcast is installing X1 fiber into 1,400 homes. Word from the installers is that these box's have "issues". Anyway, they gave me a wired remote X1 box, which works great.

Expert

Please let us know when you can get a media server to work with \Win10.  I gave up trying.

Frequent Visitor

That would be Universal Media Server (http://www.universalmediaserver.com/). This software is very userfriendly, but if needed there are tons of videos detailing setup on your W10 server.