Community Forum

Any progress on the freeze-frame issue?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Any progress on the freeze-frame issue?

I noticed that quite a few people have been having their X1 DVR box freeze on a single frame from a broadcast channel (mine is frozen on a frame of "The Hobbit" on AMC. Menus wil work, changing channels works (but you only hear the audio changing), everything works behind the frozen frame. People reported this problem with new boxes, strong signals, etc. The only thing that solves it is unplugging the box and then slowly letting it reboot. Or actually calling in a reboot signal to be sent and waiting for it to slowly reboot.

I saw that the last thread for this was locked down, and certain responses were deleted.

I work professionally as an independent filmmaker and animator. Check out my work at ufoclubcreative.com
Expert

Re: Any progress on the freeze-frame issue?

@UFOclub1977 wrote:

I noticed that quite a few people have been having their X1 DVR box freeze on a single frame from a broadcast channel (mine is frozen on a frame of "The Hobbit" on AMC. Menus wil work, changing channels works (but you only hear the audio changing), everything works behind the frozen frame. People reported this problem with new boxes, strong signals, etc. The only thing that solves it is unplugging the box and then slowly letting it reboot. Or actually calling in a reboot signal to be sent and waiting for it to slowly reboot.

I saw that the last thread for this was locked down, and certain responses were deleted.

the HDCP security of HD signals does a 'hangshake' between devices to be sure all connections are still secure. failure to receive the valid handshake will cause the cutoff of video. many devices try to reestablish connection then reboot signal issued if unsuccessful.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

I have this issue of frozen picture also.  After turning the TV on, picture is fine.  I change channel, and picture freezes.  I can still change channel and audio changes, still use the guide, but picture remains frozen.   We have a 2017 Sony Bravia TV.  I have tried unplugging HDMI cables, swapping HDMI cables, etc, but nothing fixes the issue.  The only fix is a reboot (which kills all of the TVs in the house for a few minutes and stops recording, so not a good solution).  After a reboot it works fine for the rest of the day.  This started a in January.   

A comcast technician was here a few months ago, and said the signal levels were fine.  We have 4 remote/satellite boxes.  Comcast said they all use the tuners in the X1 - they work fine when the X1 has frozen picture, and the X1 works after reboot for the rest of the day, so it is not a signal level issue.

I have seen hundreds of posts about this problem.  Some threads about it have disappeared, others threads have had replies disabled.  They have a problem and appear to be trying to stop people from discussing it.

It is an X1 bug.  Pelple have suggested it is an HDCP bug in the X1 box.  Comcast needs to fix this X1 bug.  Or replace the X1 boxes with something that does not have this issue.

Expert

@Biolermaker40 wrote:

I have this issue of frozen picture also.  After turning the TV on, picture is fine.  I change channel, and picture freezes.  I can still change channel and audio changes, still use the guide, but picture remains frozen.   We have a 2017 Sony Bravia TV.  I have tried unplugging HDMI cables, swapping HDMI cables, etc, but nothing fixes the issue.  The only fix is a reboot (which kills all of the TVs in the house for a few minutes and stops recording, so not a good solution).  After a reboot it works fine for the rest of the day.  This started a in January.   

A comcast technician was here a few months ago, and said the signal levels were fine.  We have 4 remote/satellite boxes.  Comcast said they all use the tuners in the X1 - they work fine when the X1 has frozen picture, and the X1 works after reboot for the rest of the day, so it is not a signal level issue.

I have seen hundreds of posts about this problem.  Some threads about it have disappeared, others threads have had replies disabled.  They have a problem and appear to be trying to stop people from discussing it.

It is an X1 bug.  Pelple have suggested it is an HDCP bug in the X1 box.  Comcast needs to fix this X1 bug.  Or replace the X1 boxes with something that does not have this issue.

next time it freezes press the xfinity button. is the menu showing? also before the next time note where the set top box HDMI cable plugs into the TV OR the set top box. when it freezes try removing one end of the HDMI cable for 20-30 seconds then plug back in. working now? if not, reboot the seet top box (remove power and after 30 seconds restore power). working?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!