Community Forum

All SD channels are now set to "Stretched" on my RNG 150N (Model #: PR150BNM)

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

All SD channels are now set to "Stretched" on my RNG 150N (Model #: PR150BNM)

Hello,

 

 We've had Comcast Digital cable & voice since Oct. of 2012. Back then, the SD channels were displayed with black bars on the left & right sides of the picture. Since back in April of this year, all of the SD channels are now set to stretched. The problem is that both of our TV's only settings are Wide Zoom, Full (normal), H Stretch & Zoom. None of these options will fix the problem. The only options on this cable box are through the Xfinity remote which is HD Zoom. Pressing it simply cuts off the sides of the picture by increasing the size of the picture until the black bars on the top & bottom meet the top & bottom edges of the screen. I need a way of stretching only the top & bottom of the image OR shrinking the left & right sides back to normal. Essentially, the images are now displayed in 3:2 instead of 4:3 so every single SD channel is squashed. Our cable box is the same as this: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/20198i9B45691CF9E917EC/image-size/original?v=... however, none of the menus shown are accessible. The only option in the cable box's settings seems to be screen position. I would greatly appreciate being able to watch all of our other HBO, Stars & Encore channels without getting a headache from the skewed images.

 

 Thank you kindly!

Official Employee

Re: All SD channels are now set to "Stretched" on my RNG 150N (Model #: PR1


RealEveryDay wrote:

Hello,

 

 We've had Comcast Digital cable & voice since Oct. of 2012. Back then, the SD channels were displayed with black bars on the left & right sides of the picture. Since back in April of this year, all of the SD channels are now set to stretched. The problem is that both of our TV's only settings are Wide Zoom, Full (normal), H Stretch & Zoom. None of these options will fix the problem. The only options on this cable box are through the Xfinity remote which is HD Zoom. Pressing it simply cuts off the sides of the picture by increasing the size of the picture until the black bars on the top & bottom meet the top & bottom edges of the screen. I need a way of stretching only the top & bottom of the image OR shrinking the left & right sides back to normal. Essentially, the images are now displayed in 3:2 instead of 4:3 so every single SD channel is squashed. Our cable box is the same as this: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/20198i9B45691CF9E917EC/image-size/original?v=... however, none of the menus shown are accessible. The only option in the cable box's settings seems to be screen position. I would greatly appreciate being able to watch all of our other HBO, Stars & Encore channels without getting a headache from the skewed images.

 

 Thank you kindly!


Apologies. One thing to check is the cable box user settings. See page 14 at the link below for the Pace RNG 150N listed on your account.

 

 https://www.pace.com/Documents/Manuals/ENG-M-RNG150N-200N-501-3340000-User.pdf

Regular Visitor

Re: All SD channels are now set to "Stretched" on my RNG 150N (Model #: PR1

Thank you for the reply. However, that is not the model of my HD cable box. If you click the link in my first post, you will see the front of my box. This box doesn't seem to have any options to allow me to correct whatever Comcast has changed. This box only has a power button on the front. It has no LED display or menu button.

Official Employee

Re: All SD channels are now set to "Stretched" on my RNG 150N (Model #: PR1


RealEveryDay wrote:

Thank you for the reply. However, that is not the model of my HD cable box. If you click the link in my first post, you will see the front of my box. This box doesn't seem to have any options to allow me to correct whatever Comcast has changed. This box only has a power button on the front. It has no LED display or menu button.


Understood. However, you should be able to use the remote control to access the User Settings as per the instructions on pages 14 through 20 of the link I provided.

 

The instructions and menus will appear on the TV set.

 

Regular Visitor

Re: All SD channels are now set to "Stretched" on my RNG 150N (Model #: PR1

Perhaps it's because I have a different make/model of set-top box, but following those instructions does not do anything. Those instructions are to access the User Settings. However, when I turn the power off via the remote, then press the Menu button, not only does nothing happen, but the set-top box does not even acknowledge that it has received a signal from the remote, as it does when the power is on (via a small light left of Remote on the front display which flashes when a signal is received). I am unable to access any kind of menu on this set-top box other than what is available in the Xfinity menu as described in my first post. Perhaps there is another way to do this on this cable box?

 

ETA: So, apparently it does work, but I may not have been pressing the Menu button on the remote fast enough after turning off the power via the remote. This does indeed give me access to the USer Settings & has allowed me to enable Auto Pillarbox, which does infact return the SD channels to their previous format. THANK YOU!!!

 

ETA: The TV in the living room was not fixed by enabling only this setting. I actually only had to enable 1080i, 720P, 480P & 480i & the picture displays SD channels correctly. Enabling Auto Pillarbox actually distorted the image.

Official Employee

Re: All SD channels are now set to "Stretched" on my RNG 150N (Model #: PR1


RealEveryDay wrote:

Perhaps it's because I have a different make/model of set-top box, but following those instructions does not do anything. Those instructions are to access the User Settings. However, when I turn the power off via the remote, then press the Menu button, not only does nothing happen, but the set-top box does not even acknowledge that it has received a signal from the remote, as it does when the power is on (via a small light left of Remote on the front display which flashes when a signal is received). I am unable to access any kind of menu on this set-top box other than what is available in the Xfinity menu as described in my first post. Perhaps there is another way to do this on this cable box?

 

ETA: So, apparently it does work, but I may not have been pressing the Menu button on the remote fast enough after turning off the power via the remote. This does indeed give me access to the USer Settings & has allowed me to enable Auto Pillarbox, which does infact return the SD channels to their previous format. THANK YOU!!!

 

ETA: The TV in the living room was not fixed by enabling only this setting. I actually only had to enable 1080i, 720P, 480P & 480i & the picture displays SD channels correctly. Enabling Auto Pillarbox actually distorted the image.


You are welcome. Glad to hear that this is now displaying correctly.

 

The Pace RNG 150 boxes may have different styles but the User Settings menu and access is the same. 

 

Thanks for your patience and persistence.

Regular Contributor

Re: All SD channels are now set to "Stretched" on my RNG 150N (Model #: PR1

Dear Comcast Teds,

 

Same problem I have with SD channels stretched on RNG 150n (Motorola).  Which was not the case with RNG 110 (before it died).  Last night started to watch a SD  movie on TCM on our Std def (NON HD) TV.  This morning tried to "resume" same SD movie on HD TV (with RNG 150).  And, is stretched so gave up watching! 

 

Should I try user menu to get rid of stretch?  I asked tech who told me there is no option for SD other than stretched.

 

Stephen L

 

Official Employee

Re: All SD channels are now set to "Stretched" on my RNG 150N (Model #: PR1


SLannes wrote:

Dear Comcast Teds,

 

Same problem I have with SD channels stretched on RNG 150n (Motorola).  Which was not the case with RNG 110 (before it died).  Last night started to watch a SD  movie on TCM on our Std def (NON HD) TV.  This morning tried to "resume" same SD movie on HD TV (with RNG 150).  And, is stretched so gave up watching! 

 

Should I try user menu to get rid of stretch?  I asked tech who told me there is no option for SD other than stretched.

 

Stephen L

 


The user guide for the RNG 150N box that you have is attached. User settings start on page 29. 

 

We should also really get you on our X1 platform – no additional monthly cost and no installation charges.

 

That will present you with a much improved experience.

Official Employee

Re: All SD channels are now set to "Stretched" on my RNG 150N (Model #: PR1

I agree with ComcastTed, SLannes. If you're interested in moving to the X1, I can help. Let me know. 

 

KenF

Regular Contributor

Re: All SD channels are now set to "Stretched" on my RNG 150N (Model #: PR1

 

 

AGAIN: I asked tech who told me there is no option for SD other than stretched.  Thus, I don't want to make issue worse by attempting to change user settings and disrupt HD picture on  box or my TV after I was able to reset TV to default due to lousy dim picture after tech installed box.  If I attempt in defiance of tech telling me could only be set to stretch when I asked him to change to unstretched  what should I set once in user settings? 

 

So again, what should I set once in user settings?  If i can open and, if it fails and I lose picture can I restore?

Not interested in XI at this time.  I just want SD picture I had with RNG-110 before it died.  I was told by CSR tech would bring new RNG-110 after I asked.  He of course  did not!

 

Stephen

Regular Contributor

Re: All SD channels are now set to "Stretched" on my RNG 150N (Model #: PR1

Got into menu and chose 4:3 override.  Turned back on and screen stated NO SNYC SIGNAL. Finally got TV back on and SD still streched.

I tried to upload photo of screen taken in a panic. But cut off reply text.

Will send separately.

 

Stephen L

Regular Contributor

Re: All SD channels are now set to "Stretched" on my RNG 150N (Model #: PR1

 

IMG_0089.jpg

 

Regular Contributor

Re: All SD channels are now set to "Stretched" on my RNG 150N (Model #: PR1

Tried again and this time set 4:3 override to OFF.  Thus, finally did away with stretch.   Wish installer was aware of this.

 

Stephen L

 

 

Official Employee

Re: All SD channels are now set to "Stretched" on my RNG 150N (Model #: PR1

 

So again, what should I set once in user settings?  If i can open and, if it fails and I lose picture can I restore?

Not interested in XI at this time.  I just want SD picture I had with RNG-110 before it died.  I was told by CSR tech would bring new RNG-110 after I asked.  He of course  did not!

I can check your area if the new RNG-110 is in stock. If it is, it can be shipped to your home to swap out. 

 

 

Tried again and this time set 4:3 override to OFF.  Thus, finally did away with stretch.   Wish installer was aware of this.

 

Stephen L

 

Sweet! Glad you were able to do away with the stretch! 

 

KenF