Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

ATMOS

Valued Contributor

ATMOS

Quick poll:

 

Who currently has a Dolby ATMOS enabled system in their home?  If you do, what type of receiver and speakers are you using in your setup?




Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor
New Poster

Re: ATMOS

I've had an Atmos set-up since October '15. Well worth the investment!!! Even the DSU upmixer is great with non-atmos movies!! I have an Onkyo TX-NR737 with Polk TSX series speakers all around and RC80i's for 5.1.2 atmos, sounds amazing!!

 

DO IT!!! DO IT!!! DO IT!!!

Expert
Moved:

Re: ATMOS

Expert
Moved:

Re: ATMOS

Off Topic Post Removed. OP from ComcastNeal asked WHO has an ATMOS. This is not a discussion thread.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: ATMOS


Robert,

Your Onkyo receiver is not Atmos capable.

Minimum requirements for Dolby Atmos:

1. A Dolby Atmos capable processor. Atmos enabled AV Receivers began to appear in late 2014. Anything purchased prior to that probably does not have Atmos capability.
2. A signal source with Dolby True HD audio capability.
3. Dolby Atmos capable main speakers or an additional pair of high front speakers.

The main difference with Dolby Atmos is the audio recording is three dimensional. Dolby Digital is two dimensional. Atmos adds "height". Also, the audio recording is "object based" not "speaker based" so it is much easier to hear objects moving around. I have heard many demonstrations of Atmos and it really is a VERY DRAMATIC IMPROVEMENT over Dolby Digital surround. Any surround sound enthusiasts out there really should spend the $$$ and make the necessary updates.



RobertWy wrote:

zoycan wrote:

I have this:

 

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S5800-5-1-2-Channel-Theater-Package/dp/B00YMN69XS


Can I use my existing speaker wires for my TX-NR626?


 

Expert
Moved:

Re: ATMOS

Expert
Moved:

Re: ATMOS

New Poster

Re: ATMOS

Just instaled an Anthem 1120

Frequent Visitor

Re: ATMOS

I recently installed an Anthem AVM 60. Currently using two ATMOS enabled speakers - Martin Logan AFX.

Valued Contributor

Re: ATMOS

Ok...so all you Dolby Atmos system owners... check this out.... 

 

Type ATMOS (2-8-6-6-7) into your X1 remote.  Look for the three results that say ATMOS at the end (Horizon Audio, Amaze Audio, and Black Sails "XX").  These are all Atmos enabled, free On Demand assets for you to enjoy!  Have fun and CRANK IT UP!




Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: ATMOS

Tried it tonight - the ATMOS demos play in 5.1 sound. I was wondering how the X1 box would pass ATMOS encoded sound - it can't.

Regular Contributor

Re: ATMOS


raffin wrote:

Tried it tonight - the ATMOS demos play in 5.1 sound. I was wondering how the X1 box would pass ATMOS encoded sound - it can't.


I was skeptical because I had read that the X1 box doesn't pass through TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus and those features were coming in a newer box that would also support 4K. I was pleasantly surprised that it works on the X1 during the Amaze Audio demo and Black Sails episode. My receiver's D+ and ATMOS indicators both light up. The Horizon Audio title is reported as not available.

Frequent Visitor

Re: ATMOS

What version of the X1 box do you have? I have the original Pace green light version.

Regular Contributor

Re: ATMOS


raffin wrote:

What version of the X1 box do you have? I have the original Pace green light version.


XG1-A, blue light.

Expert

Re: ATMOS


raffin wrote:

What version of the X1 box do you have? I have the original Pace green light version.


if you swap you will get a 6 tuner instead of 5 tuner DVR.

Expert

Re: ATMOS


zoycan wrote:

raffin wrote:

What version of the X1 box do you have? I have the original Pace green light version.


XG1-A, blue light.


xfinity button >> gear (settings) >> about what appears after the line STB version (for example mine says MX011AN)?

Frequent Visitor

Re: ATMOS

PX001AN

Expert

Re: ATMOS


raffin wrote:

PX001AN


I have two of those - XG1 Pace Version 1.  It was the first X1 box.  I have had two of them for three years.

 

Mine now can record 5 programs while watching live TV.

Valued Contributor

Re: ATMOS

I tried these programs even without an Atmos Receiver.  I get the Dolby Digital + on my Denon and the sound is noticebly better than normal programing. Try waching / listening to the Atmos Black Sails episode and then go back and watch the normal episode, the sounds of the waves and cannon fire stand out much more, even with my non-Atmos setup.

 

Here's hoping that Comcast will soon adopt this sound format for all programming.

Expert

Re: ATMOS


raffin wrote:

PX001AN


I had 3 of those (one greenie 2 bluies) but they have a hardware flaw that does not allow the 6 channels on the cablecard to all be used. Call in when you have emptied one to request a replacement and the new one iwll have 6 tuners active (can record 6 shows or 5 and watch 1).

Frequent Visitor

Re: ATMOS


Rustyben wrote:

raffin wrote:

PX001AN


I had 3 of those (one greenie 2 bluies) but they have a hardware flaw that does not allow the 6 channels on the cablecard to all be used. Call in when you have emptied one to request a replacement and the new one iwll have 6 tuners active (can record 6 shows or 5 and watch 1).


I'm probably just going to wait until the 4K box becomes available to swap my box. There's no pressing need to right now since there isn't any actual ATMOS content available thru Comcast right now anyway. Hopefully the new 4K boxes will be Dolby Vision capable or at least HDR capable.

 

Swapping the box is going to be a pain no matter when I decide to do it since I always have some recorded shows on it. Sure would be nice if we could play recordings from the cloud over the X1 box as it would make box swaps much simpler.

Valued Contributor

Re: ATMOS


raffin wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

raffin wrote:

PX001AN


I had 3 of those (one greenie 2 bluies) but they have a hardware flaw that does not allow the 6 channels on the cablecard to all be used. Call in when you have emptied one to request a replacement and the new one iwll have 6 tuners active (can record 6 shows or 5 and watch 1).


I'm probably just going to wait until the 4K box becomes available to swap my box. There's no pressing need to right now since there isn't any actual ATMOS content available thru Comcast right now anyway. Hopefully the new 4K boxes will be Dolby Vision capable or at least HDR capable.

 

Swapping the box is going to be a pain no matter when I decide to do it since I always have some recorded shows on it. Sure would be nice if we could play recordings from the cloud over the X1 box as it would make box swaps much simpler.


Hi.  We currently have three Atmos enabled assets on VOD today.  As for your box, it does not yet support Atmos playback.  You need a Broadcom based box (yours is Intel based).  It will eventually have pass through enabled but today, that's only possible on our outher DVRs and XG2 boxes.  Thanks!




Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

Re: ATMOS


My Marantz AV receiver is two years old and does not have Atmos processing but I agree that the demo's sound extremely good and they are very "spacious" sounding. My Marantz confirms it is receiving DD+ audio on the demos.



jwmccnn wrote:

I tried these programs even without an Atmos Receiver.  I get the Dolby Digital + on my Denon and the sound is noticebly better than normal programing. Try waching / listening to the Atmos Black Sails episode and then go back and watch the normal episode, the sounds of the waves and cannon fire stand out much more, even with my non-Atmos setup.

 

Here's hoping that Comcast will soon adopt this sound format for all programming.





 

Regular Contributor

Re: ATMOS


RickGr4 wrote:


My Marantz AV receiver is two years old and does not have Atmos processing but I agree that the demo's sound extremely good and they are very "spacious" sounding. My Marantz confirms it is receiving DD+ audio on the demos.


Yeah. Most of the features advertised in the Amaze demo are basic 5.1 stuff that doesn't require Atmos.

Expert

Re: ATMOS


ComcastNeal wrote:

raffin wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

raffin wrote:

PX001AN


I had 3 of those (one greenie 2 bluies) but they have a hardware flaw that does not allow the 6 channels on the cablecard to all be used. Call in when you have emptied one to request a replacement and the new one iwll have 6 tuners active (can record 6 shows or 5 and watch 1).


I'm probably just going to wait until the 4K box becomes available to swap my box. There's no pressing need to right now since there isn't any actual ATMOS content available thru Comcast right now anyway. Hopefully the new 4K boxes will be Dolby Vision capable or at least HDR capable.

 

Swapping the box is going to be a pain no matter when I decide to do it since I always have some recorded shows on it. Sure would be nice if we could play recordings from the cloud over the X1 box as it would make box swaps much simpler.


Hi.  We currently have three Atmos enabled assets on VOD today.  As for your box, it does not yet support Atmos playback.  You need a Broadcom based box (yours is Intel based).  It will eventually have pass through enabled but today, that's only possible on our outher DVRs and XG2 boxes.  Thanks!


Which boxes are Broadcom-based?  Or are you referring to X1 or to the receiver?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: ATMOS


Arris DVR's use Broadcom chipsets. Pace was using Intel chipsets which accounts for some of the minor differences between X1 boxes. Someone from Comcast may correct me but I believe the Samsung XG2 uses Broadcom as well. I  have no idea what chipset the Pace XG2 uses.



RobertWy wrote:

ComcastNeal wrote:

raffin wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

raffin wrote:

PX001AN


I had 3 of those (one greenie 2 bluies) but they have a hardware flaw that does not allow the 6 channels on the cablecard to all be used. Call in when you have emptied one to request a replacement and the new one iwll have 6 tuners active (can record 6 shows or 5 and watch 1).


I'm probably just going to wait until the 4K box becomes available to swap my box. There's no pressing need to right now since there isn't any actual ATMOS content available thru Comcast right now anyway. Hopefully the new 4K boxes will be Dolby Vision capable or at least HDR capable.

 

Swapping the box is going to be a pain no matter when I decide to do it since I always have some recorded shows on it. Sure would be nice if we could play recordings from the cloud over the X1 box as it would make box swaps much simpler.


Hi.  We currently have three Atmos enabled assets on VOD today.  As for your box, it does not yet support Atmos playback.  You need a Broadcom based box (yours is Intel based).  It will eventually have pass through enabled but today, that's only possible on our outher DVRs and XG2 boxes.  Thanks!


Which boxes are Broadcom-based?  Or are you referring to X1 or to the receiver?




Regular Visitor

Re: ATMOS

I Have a Denon AVR-S710W with 5 matching Auvio speakers and a pair of Onkyo SKH-410 speakers. I have a TIVO Series 4 with xfinity on demand. Xfinity VOD's "Amaze" Passes through my receiver as Dolby Atmos. "Horizions" gets an on-screen "Service Error" ("%lm-4). The Only version of "Black Sails XX" i could find is "v17 Atmos" but it only passes through as Dolby Digital 5.1.

 

New Poster

Re: ATMOS

I am using a Samsung hw-k950 souund bar and speakers.  For the movies I can find in Dolby Atmos it sounds fantastic

Valued Contributor

Re: ATMOS

Just tried to access the Atmos VOD programs that were available but they aparently are not availble anymore???  can a Comcast moderator verify this and are there any plans to bring back any other Atmos examples?

Official Employee

Re: ATMOS


jwmccnn wrote:

Just tried to access the Atmos VOD programs that were available but they aparently are not availble anymore???  can a Comcast moderator verify this and are there any plans to bring back any other Atmos examples?


Looks like just Amaze Audio and Horizons Audio are available. Searching Atmos doesn't give any results. I've not heard of any future additions, and the 2 available are only a couple of minutes long.

Valued Contributor

Re: ATMOS


ComcastAndrew wrote:

jwmccnn wrote:

Just tried to access the Atmos VOD programs that were available but they aparently are not availble anymore???  can a Comcast moderator verify this and are there any plans to bring back any other Atmos examples?


Looks like just Amaze Audio and Horizons Audio are available. Searching Atmos doesn't give any results. I've not heard of any future additions, and the 2 available are only a couple of minutes long.


I have the Amaze and Horizons programs saved in my favorites along with the other Atmos examples that became available last summer, the Black Sails Episode with Atmos and the Opening Ceremony from the Olympics.  When I try to watch them now I get a "Sorry, We are having some trouble accessing this program" message.  I had no problem watching these back when they first were able to be accessed by searching "Atmos".

Official Employee

Re: ATMOS


jwmccnn wrote:

ComcastAndrew wrote:

jwmccnn wrote:

Just tried to access the Atmos VOD programs that were available but they aparently are not availble anymore???  can a Comcast moderator verify this and are there any plans to bring back any other Atmos examples?


Looks like just Amaze Audio and Horizons Audio are available. Searching Atmos doesn't give any results. I've not heard of any future additions, and the 2 available are only a couple of minutes long.


I have the Amaze and Horizons programs saved in my favorites along with the other Atmos examples that became available last summer, the Black Sails Episode with Atmos and the Opening Ceremony from the Olympics.  When I try to watch them now I get a "Sorry, We are having some trouble accessing this program" message.  I had no problem watching these back when they first were able to be accessed by searching "Atmos".


I would say then that those assets changed between them and now. Black Sails w/Atmos for sure isn't available and won't work even if it's in your favorites.

Valued Contributor

Re: ATMOS

So I guess the great experiment with Atmos is going the way of 4K with Comcast??

New Poster

Re: ATMOS

I was able to watch horizon today in atmos. Amaze had no audio. Samsung k950 soundbar. Horizon sounded great. 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: ATMOS

I now have a Marantz Atmos capable AV receiver and I just finished connecting and setting up my "front height" Atmos speakers.

I am going to watch Rogue One tonight and I will try to find the Atmos material on Comcast. I hope to be able to report back in a couple days.

Expert

Re: ATMOS


RickGr4 wrote:

I now have a Marantz Atmos capable AV receiver and I just finished connecting and setting up my "front height" Atmos speakers.

I am going to watch Rogue One tonight and I will try to find the Atmos material on Comcast. I hope to be able to report back in a couple days.


do you have the mechanical motion speakers located on the top of your left & right speakers?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: ATMOS

Can't say as I have heard the term "mechanical motion" but yes I now have purpose made Atmos speakers on top of my front main speakers.
Expert

Re: ATMOS


RickGr4 wrote:
Can't say as I have heard the term "mechanical motion" but yes I now have purpose made Atmos speakers on top of my front main speakers.

Only article I read was in something like popular mechanics or similar. It said Atmos was a text metadata that allowed top mounted front Left/Rigth speakers to pivot and change angle prior to being activated for special effects (similar to a spotlight at modern stage lighting).

Gold Problem Solver

Re: ATMOS

As you mentioned, the Atmos speakers sit on top of the front main speakers and fire their sound upwards towards the ceiling.

I just finished the set up process. Last night I did not have the opportunity to run the Audessey room correction (I am a  HUGE believer in the Audessey suite of features) in my Marantz receiver but I did this morning.

Even when listening standard Dolby 5.1 audio the improvement in sound quality is very noticeable. At the moment I am watching BPL soccer and I think it sounds much better. The crowd noise sounds much higher and far more dramatic. Even the announcers voices sound better.

I think I am really going to enjoy this...!!!



Rustyben wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:
Can't say as I have heard the term "mechanical motion" but yes I now have purpose made Atmos speakers on top of my front main speakers.

Only article I read was in something like popular mechanics or similar. It said Atmos was a text metadata that allowed top mounted front Left/Rigth speakers to pivot and change angle prior to being activated for special effects (similar to a spotlight at modern stage lighting).




Gold Problem Solver

Re: ATMOS


Just finished installing and setting up my new SONY 4K Blu-ray player.

I now have 4K, HDR and Dolby Atmos on my primary system. As I write this I am watching Star Trek Beyond. The experience is WONDERFUL.

Comcast PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE catch up.

New Poster

Re: ATMOS

I have an Onkyo TX-NR747 175-Watt 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver with Wi-Fi & Bluetooth (Black).  I have 5.1.2 speakers made by Bowers & Wilkins.  I have two rear height speakers.