Community Forum

A Fix for the Search Box Popping Up By Mistake

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Gold Problem Solver

A Fix for the Search Box Popping Up By Mistake

Hey Everyone,

For those of you using IR (infrared) remotes with their X1 boxes and the search box pops up mysteriously or the number "2" appears for no reason, I may have a fix for you. I have always known the problem was related to the IR receiving window being too sensitive. I recently changed the remote control setup I was using on my main system and this problem reared it's ugly head again so I decided to do some testing.

Take a look at this picture. You will see how I solved the problem. I simply covered a large majority of the IR receiving window on the X1 box with black electrical tape. There is just a small gap of the IR window remaining exposed. It works MUCH better with every IR remote I have tried. You may need to experiment a little bit with the location of the tape. This was only the second location I tried. You may need to try more locations and your results may vary from mine... Since doing this, all of my IR remotes now work PERFECTLY!!!

X1 DVR 1.jpg

Problem Solver

Re: A Fix for the Search Box Popping Up By Mistake

So like Nasa comcast did fix the x1 with duct tape......

Gold Problem Solver

Pizza,

I always suspected this would work but I never needed to test it until recently... It works so well I am going to leave the tape right where it is. I don't want to jinx anything... LOL

Besides I can't see the tape form my normal seating position so I don't care how it looks, just how it works...

RG

@gotpizza wrote:

So like Nasa comcast did fix the x1 with duct tape......

Silver Problem Solver

Rick,

I don't understand how you got a picture embedded in your post.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Gold Problem Solver

It was not hard once I was able to size the picture properly. Comcast's picture loader here on the web site initially thought it was too large (too many pixels). Once I made the pic smaller it was no problem. I just used the picture insert button on the top of the tool bar...

@RobertWy wrote:

Rick,

Problem Solver

@RickGr4 wrote:

It was not hard once I was able to size the picture properly. Comcast's picture loader here on the web site initially thought it was too large (too many pixels). Once I made the pic smaller it was no problem. I just used the picture insert button on the top of the tool bar...

@RobertWy wrote:

Rick,

I think it locks out after the first post..try to send it again....

Gold Problem Solver

Someone said we were not supposed to bump threads but I happen to think this thread is bump worthy so...

Bumpity bump bump...

Problem Solver

I take it that you just looked at the recent thread on this that I responded on....

Gold Problem Solver

Hard to believe Shane but it was simultaneous. I had the forum open on two windows at that moment...  LOL

@gotpizza wrote:

I take it that you just looked at the recent thread on this that I responded on....

New Poster

RickGr4,

Is this really a solution ? We are having this issue.  I will try this today, Thanks.

New Poster

I should have also clarified that I am using the remote "eye" for the IR sensor, as my box is behind my tv.

Wouldn't that "eye" disable the IR on the box???

Gold Problem Solver

It is a 95% fix. Not perfect but it makes a huge improvement.

@kriskan wrote:

RickGr4,

Is this really a solution ? We are having this issue.  I will try this today, Thanks.

Gold Problem Solver

I believe plugging the eye disables the IR on the box the I have never tested it. You may need to cover both the IR on the box and part of the eye as well.

@stpaulinc wrote:

I should have also clarified that I am using the remote "eye" for the IR sensor, as my box is behind my tv.

Wouldn't that "eye" disable the IR on the box???

New Poster

I will try all of these ideas.  Thanks!

Gold Problem Solver

Hey everyone,

I did a little tweaking with the black electrical tape. I decided I wanted to see the green feedback light on my Arris DVR. I put on a longer bottom piece and a shorter top piece. If anything I have the two strips slightly CLOSER together than I did before. If anything it is working even better than my first tape job and worlds better than no tape at all.

I am trying to post a new pic but the forum isn't allowing me to...

New Poster

The taping worked beautifully!   

I am all set!

Thanks y'all!

Silver Problem Solver

@RickGr4 wrote:

Hey everyone,

I did a little tweaking with the black electrical tape. I decided I wanted to see the green feedback light on my Arris DVR. I put on a longer bottom piece and a shorter top piece. If anything I have the two strips slightly CLOSER together than I did before. If anything it is working even better than my first tape job and worlds better than no tape at all.

Rick,

Only new Subjects can include a picture.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

Hey everyone,

Rick,

you can post an image at postimage.org the copy the link to a post

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

I think people get my point. It would seem there is a batch of Arris DVRs out there that has an overly sensitive IR receiver built in. My older Arris has this problem. My two newer Arris DVRs do not. I am using Harmony 900s to control all of them.

On my older Arris, it would seem the more of the IR window I block, the better it works. Right now I have a tiny sliver of the IR window exposed and it is working better than ever. I would say I have more than 90% of the IR window blocked.

@Rustyben wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

Hey everyone,

Rick,

you can post an image at postimage.org the copy the link to a post

Regular Visitor

This helped a lot, but didn't totally resolve it.  To help any other newbies to X1 with this issue, let me do a step-by-step of my process:

I have 2 Harmony 650's and two Xfinity silver remotes, all of which produce the same symptoms.

1.  Use a flashlight to locate the IR receiver.  It is a dull red disc between and slightly below the "remote" and "data" lablels.

2.  I used electrical tape horizontally to progressively reduce the disc area vertically.  First covered the top third and bottom third.  Little change.  Then covered half the remainder horizontally.  Some seeming improvement.  Then a vertical strip covering half the remainder.  Then another vertical strip covering half of that.  Operated it for a while at each stage.

3.  I now have a gap about 1/8 inch high and maybe 3/16 wide.  Still get an occasional search box but much less than before.  It seems to be sort of streaky - will go for considerable periods without popping up then will seem to want to do so for a bit.

I worry about taking it down any farther and getting into intermittently failing to receive the IR signal at all.  My wife likes to point the remote up a bit and look at the keys when operating it and don't want to do her in.

Gold Problem Solver

I eventually covered more of the IR opening in comparison to what you see in my orginal pictures. Not perfect but it makes a world of difference.

FYI, it should be noted that RF pairing the XR2, XR5 or XR11 remotes to the X1 DVR also solved this problem but I despise the Comcast remotes and I refuse to use them. It's simply not an option for me.

@spinnaker17 wrote:

This helped a lot, but didn't totally resolve it.  To help any other newbies to X1 with this issue, let me do a step-by-step of my process:

I have 2 Harmony 650's and two Xfinity silver remotes, all of which produce the same symptoms.

1.  Use a flashlight to locate the IR receiver.  It is a dull red disc between and slightly below the "remote" and "data" lablels.

2.  I used electrical tape to progressively the disc horizontally.  First the top third and bottom third.  Little change.  Then covered half the remainder horizontally.  Some seeming improvement.  Then a vertical strip covering half the remainder.  Then another vertical strip covering half of that.  Operated it for a while at each stage.

3.  I now have a gap about 1/8 inch high and maybe 3/16 wide.  Still get an occasional search box but much less than before.  It seems to be sort of streaky - will go for considerable periods without popping up then will seem to want to do so for a bit.

I worry about taking it down any farther and getting into intermittently failing to receive the IR signal at all.  My wife likes to point the remote up a bit and look at the keys when operating it and don't want to do her in.

New Poster

Is this really the solution? Tape? I can't use rf since my equipment is in the basement. I'm using ir extenders throughout my house. I have this issue as well.

Has Comcast acknowledged the problem and do the plan to send down a fix?

Gold Problem Solver

Comcast rarely acknowledges anything and there is no other fix other than possibly relocating the X1 box where it won't be influenced by reflections. I am guessing you have an Arris DVR (XG1-A). You could always swap it for a Pace DVR but that will probably introduce a different set of issues...

It appears the Arris DVR does not like being near glass shelves or glass doors.

@feta wrote:

Is this really the solution? Tape? I can't use rf since my equipment is in the basement. I'm using ir extenders throughout my house. I have this issue as well.

Has Comcast acknowledged the problem and do the plan to send down a fix?

Expert

@RickGr4 wrote:

Comcast rarely acknowledges anything and there is no other fix other than possibly relocating the X1 box where it won't be influenced by reflections. I am guessing you have an Arris DVR (XG1-A). You could always swap it for a Pace DVR but that will probably introduce a different set of issues...

It appears the Arris DVR does not like being near glass shelves or glass doors.

Ain't that the truth..... if you ar using IR, it is a very bad idea to have your DVR anywhere near glass shelves, glass windows....   better to put felt down to cover the glass....

Best option is to pair the remote and use RF to the DVR.....  same thing can be done with STB's but you will need an XR8 adaptor to do that...

-=Ray=-

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I will try the tape method, but I'm seeing this behavior using an IR repeater taped onto the x1 box. I have no glass or windows near my equipment rack in the basement. Again, rf is out of the question andI I'm using an Atlona hdBaseT extender(with IR) to send the tv signal up and my ir commands down. I've tried using the remote directly and it still happens...just to eliminate the extenders out of the equation.

I hope a cleaner solution, like a software update, fixes this. Super annoying.