Community Forum

4K box lockup

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

4K box lockup

I’m hoping someone here can help me as Comcast support has not had any answers that have helped.  I’m now on my 3rd 4K box (XG1v4-a running firmware 2.14.0) since January, I’ve had a technician come to my home who found no problems and provided no answers, and have tried chat, phone support, and the xfinity store to get help, all to no avail.  My problem is simple - every time I turn off my TV, the 4k box locks up tight.  About every third time it will allow me to use the ‘System Refresh’ option from the ‘My Account’ app, but most of the time I have to unplug it to restart it to use it at all.  Without unplugging it there is no response.  As you know, doing so stops the other TVs in the home and kills whatever might be recording.  It is amazingly irritating to unplug the unit and wait 10 or 15 minutes EVERY time you want to watch something on TV.  I’m very grateful to anyone here who can help me!

Expert

Re: 4K box lockup

What brand and model of 4K television do you have connected with 4K certified HDMI cable to the 4K DVR?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

Hello srfitt, the box locking up is 90% of the time due to equipment failure. In this case replacing the equipment is the best option, since you have already replaced the equipment we can look further into this to see what is causing the box to freeze. When the tech arrived, you said they found no error, is this issue constant or intermittent? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Frequent Visitor

It is a 2017 Sony Bravia XBR-55X900E.

Frequent Visitor

I The issue was intermittent until the update that removed the HDMI based power saver mode.  Since that option was removed, it locks-up every time I turn off the TV.

Expert

@srfitt wrote:

I The issue was intermittent until the update that removed the HDMI based power saver mode.  Since that option was removed, it locks-up every time I turn off the TV.

go into your settings and turn off power saver feature. see if that fixes your problem.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Admin1

srfitt -- Did changing that setting resolve your issue?

Frequent Visitor

No.  I have changed the setting back and forth over several days.  Doesn’t seem to matter at all.  If the tv is turned off it won’t come back on.

Admin1

srfitt -- Are you turning the 4K box off as well when you turn your TV off? Are you able to describe what you mean by "locks up"? 

Frequent Visitor

I have not tried turning off the 4K box when I turn of the tv.  I will try that.  

When I turn the tv on, the screen goes blue as the tv ‘boots’ but once the tv is on, the screen is just black. The tv shows a brief ‘no signal’ message and the screen then stays just black until I reboot the box.  The white light on the 4k box is lit, but that is all.  Pushing any and every button on the remote doesn’t make any change anywhere.  Everything is black until I reboot...

Admin1

srfitt -- Do you have a secondary TV that you can test this on? If you do, you can connect your 4K box to it and turn the TV off, just like you would with your main TV. Turn the TV back on to see if the box locks up like it does with your main TV. If the box reacts the same way then you know it's an issue with the box. If the box functions as intended then you know it's an issue with your main TV.