Community Forum

25+ TVs on X1 platform..can it be done?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

25+ TVs on X1 platform..can it be done?

Is it possible to have 25+ TVs on a X1 system?  We have had Techs out to the house twice, both of which say the whole thing is too complicated for them.  I'm hoping a Comcast rep in the forum can tell me if it is possible and, if so, what equipment we need.  All TVs are home runs connected to daisy chained PPC Evo1-5s.  The main X1 DVR works fine, as do any clients that are also on that Evo.  The others either do not connect, or connect and pixelate.  I basically want know if I am wasting my time trying to get this to work?  If that's the case, I would have thought one of the two techs that came out would have just told that it's impossible. 

Thanks, in advance, for any help provided.

Official Employee

Re: 25+ TVs on X1 platform..can it be done?

SteelPenguin66 wrote:

Is it possible to have 25+ TVs on a X1 system?  We have had Techs out to the house twice, both of which say the whole thing is too complicated for them.  I'm hoping a Comcast rep in the forum can tell me if it is possible and, if so, what equipment we need.  All TVs are home runs connected to daisy chained PPC Evo1-5s.  The main X1 DVR works fine, as do any clients that are also on that Evo.  The others either do not connect, or connect and pixelate.  I basically want know if I am wasting my time trying to get this to work?  If that's the case, I would have thought one of the two techs that came out would have just told that it's impossible. 

Thanks, in advance, for any help provided.

It won't work with daisy chained amps, the moca connection necessary for the X1 platform doesn't pass through properly. You would NEED everything homeran to a nine port Evo or Commscope amp. To utilize 25+ devices each port of the amp would be split with a balanced 3 way or 4 way. If those outlets can't be homeran, than it can't be done. Also, YMMV but there may be a limit of how much X1 equipment can be on an account (i think it's 16)

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

Thanks, so much, for your response. Based on an equipment limit of 16, is there an ideal mix of equipment (in your opinion)? Can all of it run off of one X1 DVR, or should some "boxes" have their own tuner, and no access to the DVR function of the X1 main? This is also confusing, as I have heard some say you can only have one DVR, and others say they have multiples.
Gold Problem Solver

Why do you need that many TV sets? What are trying to accomplish?

FYI X1 DVRs have very limited recording capacity. In my mind one DVR would be nowhere near enough recording capacity to support that many TVs. Also keep in mind that X1 does not offer "private" recordings. All users will be able to see all recordings on all DVRs.
Official Employee

You can have an XG2 ( HD boxes that have their own tuners) for every 3 XiDs.
Signal levels and moca levels permitting, If 16 is the limit it would probably be
1 dvr
4 XG2
11 XiD
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

adding... I was pondering the 16 device on the current level of MoCA and it came to me that the use of RoKU devices would give additional set top boxes the ability (ethernet connection via a switch). Do they all need to full access or could some be on DTAs?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Great! Thank you both for responding.
Expert

adding... Comcast has begun making a wireless set top box companion available that requires a Comcast supplied MoCA enabled modem. If any of the wireless devices are installed the set top box count maximum would be decreased by one due to the modem's MoCA connection.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!