Community Forum

2 DTA's in One Room (Nursing Home)

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Re: 2 DTA's in One Room (Nursing Home)

Well I did not get a phone call, but another technician evidently resolved the problem. It is shame that it took so long, but I am thankful it is fixed. No more playing referee between two septuagenarians.
New Poster

The tech came out and evidently did not program the remotes on the two boxes.  Instead he swapped out the new style box for an ARRIS box and left.  I could not find a spot in the ARRIS box to program the remote to the box, like you can in the X1 System.  I have been trying to get her service established and functional since the 6th of October.  Why is it the technicians are of no assistance with this issue?  They hold the only service available in the home.  The staff told me this is a common problem.  I asked for assistance and they cannot help, they are a third party.  Additionally, I have left notes for the technicians to call and they refuse to call when they are there.  My mother has dementia and cannot remember anything for more than about 10 minutes, so talking to her does absolutely no good.  I am the contact on the account.

Official Employee

Megan78 wrote:

I am having a similar problem here in Missouri and the techs do not have an answer or seem to not care.  My mother is in a nursing home and both residents in the room seem to have the current version of the RNG110 box.  Mom has a newer remote, all blck and looks like a version of a X-1 remote.  Her neighbor has the old silver remote that went with the previos style motorola boxes.  It doesn't seem to matter.  When either lady tries to turn power on or off or change channels, both TVs change.  I treid pointing the boxes 180 degrees away from each other that did not help. I also tried turning off the AIm Anywhere feature on Mom's remote and it did not seem to make a difference either.  Is there any solution for this problem?  It is making her service useless as the neighbor will not stay on a channel unless she is alseep. When she gets ready to go to bed she shuts off both boxes.   As you imagine this does not make for a comfortable setting.

You might be able to obtain a plug-in IR device that's used with DTAs, either from a another tech coming out or the Xfinity store.

Contributor

I'd go thru nursing home management - its ultimately their responsibility.

It was never resolved for my mother - she ultimately passed away (at 97) in 10/16.

New Poster

I am having a similar problem here in Missouri and the techs do not have an answer or seem to not care.  My mother is in a nursing home and both residents in the room seem to have the current version of the RNG110 box.  Mom has a newer remote, all blck and looks like a version of a X-1 remote.  Her neighbor has the old silver remote that went with the previos style motorola boxes.  It doesn't seem to matter.  When either lady tries to turn power on or off or change channels, both TVs change.  I treid pointing the boxes 180 degrees away from each other that did not help. I also tried turning off the AIm Anywhere feature on Mom's remote and it did not seem to make a difference either.  Is there any solution for this problem?  It is making her service useless as the neighbor will not stay on a channel unless she is alseep. When she gets ready to go to bed she shuts off both boxes.   As you imagine this does not make for a comfortable setting.

New Poster

Can an wall mount hd data be used on a non hd tv that does. It have an hdmi output?
Official Employee

Hi LJJ3, JayInAlg brings up a good point with the Pace XiD HD DTA that can be paired through RF. I am going to send this to the local market and see if we can get these swapped out for your Mother.  I will send you a private message to further assist.

Thank you

Contributor

Thanks for the prompt reply!!!

- Lou

Diamond Problem Solver

The older std def DTA's (along with full cable boxes) all use the same IR codes, there are not any dip switch or other settings to separate them.

There new HD DTA's have a larger RF remote that would be programmed for each DTA and would eliminate this issue.  These boxes, beside being for HD service with a HDMI output also have the same coaxial cable ouput that would give a std def signal to the TV like you have now.  

The HD DTA's can also be mounted (hidden) behind the TV to clean up the wiring and installation.

The issue is trying to convince Comcast to swap out one or both DTA's in each room to solve the issue.

I've notified the Comcast team available to the forum, expect a response here.

Contributor

I would add, these are DC50X DTA's.

Contributor

2 DTA's in One Room (Nursing Home)

My mother is in a nursing home and shares her room with another person.  Both have flat panel TV's (wall mounted) with Comcast DTA's  (small boxes) and a remote control.  From all appearances these are the same DTA's we have for some of our TV's (we are also Comcast customers).

When either person uses their remote it changes both televisions.  To put it mildly, two 90+ year old women switching each other's TV's randomly is causing confusion...

I found out from the staff this happens to everyone in the home (a very well known and respected one, I might add).

This is ludicrous. I presume the DTA's and remotes have DIP switches somewhere to eliminate interference, right? 

If not - is there any solution?  The mounting of the TV's and room layout makes moving them impossible.

Thanks for any ideas!!!!   Smiley Happy

- Lou