Community Forum

xfinity Stream on Roku - 99.99% utterly and completely useless (can't watch outside of home network)

Highlighted
New Poster

xfinity Stream on Roku - 99.99% utterly and completely useless (can't watch outside of home network)

Xfinity,

Why oh why, year after year, decade after decade, do you arbitrarily and willfully make your products and services so frustrating to use...so use UN-friendly...so restrictive.

So a person can't stream on their Roku unless they INSIDE THEIR OWN HOUSE?  Yet they CAN stream outside the house with a tablet or phone? 

Why?

Why would you place that restriction on your customers?

I remember for years and years (and maybe still), I could not watch the HBO I WAS PAYING FOR, thru my TiVo's HBO app (or Roku)...on my TV...IN my home.  Nearly every other cable company allowed that (the list was very long)...but not Comcast...you stuck out like a very sore thumb...sticking to a policy that appears to be, really, quite frankly, nothing but mean. 

You were/are GETTING PAID FOR HBO...yet you thought it was OK to dictate to your customers where and how they could watch the programming THEY PAY YOU FOR.  It's like McDonald's selling a person a hamburger, but telling them where and how they have to eat it.

Don't you agree that's ridiculous?

So I'm traveling now and wanted to watch the Xfinity channels I PAY YOU FOR on the hotel room's TV with my Roku...followed the instructions...set up the app...but nope...even though I PAY YOU FOR THOSE CHANNELS...in other words you are 100% fully compensated for those channels...you continue to dictate/restrict how your customers can view their own content.

Truly...what a mess.

And yet you wonder why people leave to other services.

Yeesh.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: xfinity Stream on Roku - 99.99% utterly and completely useless (can't watch outside of home netw

@wsalopekpa wrote:

Xfinity,

Why oh why, year after year, decade after decade, do you arbitrarily and willfully make your products and services so frustrating to use...so use UN-friendly...so restrictive.

So a person can't stream on their Roku unless they INSIDE THEIR OWN HOUSE?  Yet they CAN stream outside the house with a tablet or phone? 

Why?

Why would you place that restriction on your customers?

I remember for years and years (and maybe still), I could not watch the HBO I WAS PAYING FOR, thru my TiVo's HBO app (or Roku)...on my TV...IN my home.  Nearly every other cable company allowed that (the list was very long)...but not Comcast...you stuck out like a very sore thumb...sticking to a policy that appears to be, really, quite frankly, nothing but mean. 

You were/are GETTING PAID FOR HBO...yet you thought it was OK to dictate to your customers where and how they could watch the programming THEY PAY YOU FOR.  It's like McDonald's selling a person a hamburger, but telling them where and how they have to eat it.

Don't you agree that's ridiculous?

So I'm traveling now and wanted to watch the Xfinity channels I PAY YOU FOR on the hotel room's TV with my Roku...followed the instructions...set up the app...but nope...even though I PAY YOU FOR THOSE CHANNELS...in other words you are 100% fully compensated for those channels...you continue to dictate/restrict how your customers can view their own content.

Truly...what a mess.

And yet you wonder why people leave to other services.

Yeesh.

the beta roku channel is specifically for using in place of a set top box which is specifically for use in the customer's home. the streaming service out of the home is available for mobile devices and desk/laptops. note that chromecast can be used from PCs. not sure why you believe that a set top box replacement would work as you wish outside of the home.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!