Community Forum

streaming app doesn't work on Roku

Regular Visitor

streaming app doesn't work on Roku

If I try and access the app from my Roku (I have a 3600 and a Premiere) I get an error (403-102) saying I can only use device on my home network. But I am on my xfinity wireless network. What is wrong?

Expert

Re: streaming app doesn't work on Roku

@jralphc wrote:

If I try and access the app from my Roku (I have a 3600 and a Premiere) I get an error (403-102) saying I can only use device on my home network. But I am on my xfinity wireless network. What is wrong?

did you verify the Roku is still connected to your own home xfinity wifi SSID (not the xfinitywifi SSID)? did you run the Xfinity myAccount app and select the Internet tab and then select the modem and compare the shown serial number to the modem/gateway's HFC MAC address? (has to match character by character)? If you use a smart device (apple/android) does the stream TV app work properly?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Hi @jralphc

Welcome to the forums. I can help troubleshoot this error code. Can you confirm whether or not the information in the MyAccount app and on your modem is the same as asked by @Rustyben

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Yes, they are the same. Digging around on these boards I found one guy had same problem and said it was because, even if you don't use it, you have to have a cable box associated with the account. I had my boxes sitting in the closet unused. The very day I decided to return them as they were sitting unused, this problem started. The guy on the forum picked up a box and put it in the closet unopened and got his service back.  I have come to the conclusion that returning the boxes  caused my problem. I suspect it is an account/billing/software related issue. I could, I suppose, go get a box. But I am more inclined to drop the TV service and go to Hulu Live.

Expert

@jralphc wrote:

Yes, they are the same. Digging around on these boards I found one guy had same problem and said it was because, even if you don't use it, you have to have a cable box associated with the account. I had my boxes sitting in the closet unused. The very day I decided to return them as they were sitting unused, this problem started. The guy on the forum picked up a box and put it in the closet unopened and got his service back.  I have come to the conclusion that returning the boxes  caused my problem. I suspect it is an account/billing/software related issue. I could, I suppose, go get a box. But I am more inclined to drop the TV service and go to Hulu Live.

yes if you return your video equipment you will get an error and no service unless you subscribe to the Instant TV service that includes cloud DVR lite (maximum 2 channels 20 hours and maximum of 2 streams at the same time).

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

This makes no sense. I had those boxes in the closet for months and was able to get TV on the streaming app and HBO Go with no problems.  If I had left them in the closet I'd still be able to enjoy them. Explain this to me.

Official Employee

Hi, jralphc. Welcome and thank you for posting. There were actually recent changes to that requirement. If you are a current Xfinity TV customer and would like to solely use your Partner Device (Roku) instead of your rented Xfinity TV Box, you can now do so. I sent you an email outlining more about that. Are you moving or transferring service by chance? That is the only other thing I can think of that could cause this issue.

You can reference this link here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-stream-beta-app-faqs for more information.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

On vacation and am xfinity customer. They claim I can stream anytime. *NOT* It says no if not using home WIFI. This is very misleading and we bought the roku to stream our Cable. Very Unhappy and need some real answers!!