Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

iOS v4.9.0.1068 - no more option to type in channel #

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

iOS v4.9.0.1068 - no more option to type in channel #

The subject pretty much says it all.  Although there are a couple of nice features in the new version, there's no longer an option, while streaming a channel, to manually enter a channel number.  I'll miss doing that, to tell you the truth ...

Expert

Re: iOS v4.9.0.1068 - no more option to type in channel #

select the ( . . . ) icon and then select a recent channel or the favorite or all channels menu choice.

Regular Contributor

Yup, noticed that, but there's no longer an option to use graphical representation of numeric keypad and enter 3-digit number to immediately change to any channel.

Frequent Visitor

Come on Comcast.  Get your heads out your behinds.  Put this back NOW.  Probably will take you 2 years to do it.

Expert

@WhiskerBiscuit wrote:

Come on Comcast.  Get your heads out your behinds.  Put this back NOW.  Probably will take you 2 years to do it.

ios latest version is 4.10.2.1118. what device model are you using (like iphone 6)? what version of iOS? are you speaking of the guide where you can click on 'find' and type in a channel number or call letters?

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@WhiskerBiscuit wrote:

ios latest version is 4.10.2.1118. what device model are you using (like iphone 6)? what version of iOS? are you speaking of the guide where you can click on 'find' and type in a channel number or call letters?

I'm glad you posted that reply.  It appears that the behavior of the Find function, while displaying the grid (All Channels, Favorite Channels, etc.), has changed again with version 4.10.2.1118.  Just prior to my original post back on 3/10, tapping Find instantly displayed an embedded graphical representation of a numeric keypad that could be used to enter a channel number.  Furthermore, your recent channels were displayed in close proximity and they could also be selected.  I just checked the behavior of version 4.10.2.1118 and after tapping Find a small box appears with "Find a channel by name or..." inside (ref. Att. #1).  Instead of using an embedded numeric keypad, I must now use my iPad's virtual keyboard to enter the channel number.  After entering "84" the list populates (ref. Att. #2) and begins with channel 840 (MLB Network).  Soooo ... although recents are no longer available via the Find function, I can still enter a channel number to quickly locate something.  I still prefer the previous design (wish I had screenshots), but I can live with the current behavior.

2A687AB3-367A-4158-BDC9-7C3B7D7CA585.jpeg
A2726946-FD9A-4C71-8B46-7D03D5ABEAC8.jpeg
Regular Contributor

Now that I've had time to review my original post, subsequent comments, and wipe away a few cobwebs, I remembered that my complaint about the 3/10 redesign was functionality that had been removed while streaming a program, not functionality that had been removed from the grid.  Previously, while streaming, you could very quickly change to a different channel by using a graphical keypad that was embedded directly into the Find drop-down box.  This you can no longer do.  You CAN now go to All Channels, Favorite Channels or Recents from the Find drop-down (ref. Att.), but you cannot manually enter a channel number and quickly go there.  Hope that makes sense!

8EDD5BEE-5405-4041-B811-1E68ABE5B11C.jpeg
Expert

@milehiguy wrote:

Now that I've had time to review my original post, subsequent comments, and wipe away a few cobwebs, I remembered that my complaint about the 3/10 redesign was functionality that had been removed while streaming a program, not functionality that had been removed from the grid.  Previously, while streaming, you could very quickly change to a different channel by using a graphical keypad that was embedded directly into the Find drop-down box.  This you can no longer do.  You CAN now go to All Channels, Favorite Channels or Recents from the Find drop-down (ref. Att.), but you cannot manually enter a channel number and quickly go there.  Hope that makes sense!

got it. apparently the change brought all the stream apps into similar user-interface steps. I too liked recents.

Frequent Visitor

That’s a nice alternative.  Thanks!