Community Forum

fsCachedData

Contributor

fsCachedData

I love that I, as a Comcast subscriber, can view all cable channels on my laptop (MacBook Pro) using Firefox. However, one thing I've noticed is that whenever I am viewing a channel on my laptop, the fsCachedData folder fills up. If I watch TV on my laptop for 3-4 hours, there are hundreds of cached files taking up many many Gigabites of hard disk space.

Is there a way to have the laptop automatically "flush" the cache when I log out of XFINITY?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
Silver Problem Solver

Re: fsCachedData

LouInVermont wrote:

I love that I, as a Comcast subscriber, can view all cable channels on my laptop (MacBook Pro) using Firefox. However, one thing I've noticed is that whenever I am viewing a channel on my laptop, the fsCachedData folder fills up. If I watch TV on my laptop for 3-4 hours, there are hundreds of cached files taking up many many Gigabites of hard disk space.

Is there a way to have the laptop automatically "flush" the cache when I log out of XFINITY?

Thanks.

Are you using the Xfinity TV app from the Apple App Store on your MacBook Pro?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Contributor

No, I log in to my Comcast account on my MacBook Pro.

New Poster

It's a problem with the browser. Safari has the same problem.

Google Chrome browser does not fill up fsCachedData folder. 

I contacted Apple. Will contact Comcast this week.

Contributor

FWIW, I'm using Firefox v. 50.1.0

New Poster

I have the same problem with a Macbook Pro if watching shows online. There is no ill effect if you remove the folder, so I simply wrote the following bash script and let cron run it daily. 

#!/bin/bash

DIR=/private/var/folders/6m/36p_j3ss0zjbfjh3r72qjtw40000gn/C/com.apple.WebKit.Plugin.64/fsCachedData/

LIMIT=1                 

SIZE=$(du -h $DIR | cut -f 1)           

if [[ "${SIZE%?}" -ge $LIMIT ]]; then

rm -r $DIR

fi

Contributor

Thanks, but scripts are outside my expertise.

I now use an app named Disk Diag every few days. It clears the cache (and any other designated folders) pretty quickly.