Community Forum

Xfinity streaming on web browsers

Frequent Visitor

Xfinity streaming on web browsers

Why is the Xfinity streaming on web browsers still using Adobe Flash?   I tried to run it on my Xbox because my DVR is dead (getting replaced tomorrow), but the Edge browser, which is all you can use on the Xbox, has no Flash.  I asked Microsoft about it and got this response.

It doesn't need Flash support as Flash is pretty much a dead format now.  All of the major websites have now switched over to HTML5 for embedded video's.  If a site you're trying to view has Flash video, it needs to change to HMTL5 to keep up with the times.

Apple phones and iPads don't support flash, neither do current Android and Chrome OS devices.  All of these are considered to have modern 'Complete browsers'.

Flash is obsolete.

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity streaming on web browsers

@Carbubble wrote:

Why is the Xfinity streaming on web browsers still using Adobe Flash?   I tried to run it on my Xbox because my DVR is dead (getting replaced tomorrow), but the Edge browser, which is all you can use on the Xbox, has no Flash.  I asked Microsoft about it and got this response.

It doesn't need Flash support as Flash is pretty much a dead format now.  All of the major websites have now switched over to HTML5 for embedded video's.  If a site you're trying to view has Flash video, it needs to change to HMTL5 to keep up with the times.

Apple phones and iPads don't support flash, neither do current Android and Chrome OS devices.  All of these are considered to have modern 'Complete browsers'.

Flash is obsolete.

Xf streaming website requires flash for the DRM (digital rights management) component that is supplied by Adobe. The streaming function does not use flash. Reps have posted on the forums that they are working on replacing the Adobe DRM. When they do this, Adobe flash will no longer be required.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity streaming on web browsers

Thanks