Community Forum

Xfinity stream app keeps buffering every 30 seconds

New Poster

Xfinity stream app keeps buffering every 30 seconds

After the most recent update, I noticed that my xfinity stream app on iPad  keeps buffering every 30 seconds, resulting in me losing about 2-3 seconds of content each time.  It happens regardless of the channel I’m viewing.  It’s very annoying, especially when I’m watching tennis where points are decided in seconds.  I’ve deleted and reinstalled the app on my iPad, rebooted my iPad, signed in and out, and nothing has worked.  I’ve done a speed test on my home network and the speed is great, no different from what it has always been when the app worked correctly.  Is anyone else experiencing the same, and is there a fix for this? Thanks. 

New Poster

Re: Xfinity stream app keeps buffering every 30 seconds

Yes, mine is doing the same thing.  App works fine on my computers and laptops.  All other streaming apps work fine on my iPad.  Definitely an Xfinity problem.  Haven't figured out how to get it to work correctly either.

Contributor

It seems like it started about 3 weeks ago for me. I can watch on demand and movies, but not live streaming tv. All this happens at home, but if I go to the apple store, it works fine.  i have an Ipad 4 version 10.3.3

I've been on the phone with the Gateway support people and comcast support people to no avail.

New Poster

I have the same iPad and the time frame is the same for me too.  Unfortunate to hear that support hasn't been helpful.  I guess this chore will move to the bottom of my to-do list.

Contributor

Comcast is no help, talked to them and had a tech come out. If you have 10.3.3 or older, the new app will cause the "buffering". They told me to wait until Apple updates the IOS, but 10.3.3 is the last update for the ipad. so basicly, until enough people complain, they aren't going to debug the latest app and we're stuck.

New Poster

Thanks. My hunch was that it was something like that. No plans to replace an iPad that still works fine.
New Poster

Man I'm having the same issue and I can't believe they aren't doing anything about it.  And I can't figure out how to get an older version of the app.

Contributor

I even tried to google a previous version but no luck so far.
New Poster

I have the same problem on my IPad 4 and IPad 2 since the latest update. Both worked fine for years before. Xfinity, FIX THIS!!! We're not getting what we're paying for! I've been able to stream live TV on the individual apps for local channels if that helps anyone.

Contributor

Thanks for the heads up on the local channels.

New Poster

Exact same thing with mine ... all worked fine before, then started buffering several weeks ago on the iPad only, works fine streaming on PC.  

Frequent Visitor

Me too!  I started my own thread on this problem but I want to add my voice on this thread too in case Xfinity is monitoring.  Please fix this!

New Poster

Same problem here. Started in early August on my older iPad 4. Stops and buffers every 20 seconds. Makes it unusable. I have only tried it on my home network, but the app works fine on my network on three other iPhones in the household. My internet connection is not the problem. Zero help from customer service.
New Poster

Same issue here. So annoying!!!!!!!!

Official Employee

Howdy Folks, 

Appreciate you all taking the time to let us know about the buffering issues on the XFINITY Stream app on your iPads. It looks like Chiobabe has done some of the basic troubleshooting that we need to clear out before reaching out to tech ops. Please attempt to uninstall and reinstall the app from your device. Additionally, please clear the cache and cookies from your web browser as the app using that to launch/store data. 

If those things do not improve the experience, please send me a private message with your full name so I can get you in contact with our app team. Just click my name (ComcastKenF) and then on the next page, you'll see an option to send a private message on the right. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Didn’t work for me!  I’m waiting to see if it works for others before seeking private assistance.

Contributor

Been there, done that, plus more. Why do you need to do a private message? Just tell us what comcast is or is not going to do about it. We all know its an issue with the latest update of the app that effects 10.3.3 or older IOS versions.

Official Employee

I need the private message so I can access your account. I reach out to tech ops via a system within the account. Once I get your private account info (your name), we can go back to public messaging if you prefer. 

Ken

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I agree with the previous poster.  It seems that many others have reached out for one-on-one tech assistance, only to be walked through a bunch of “solutions” that yielded no results - just like the suggestion that all that we need to do is re-install the app and clear cache and cookies.  Until there’s a proper diagnosis of the problem and a real solution, I don’t see any reason o waste my time jumping through a bunch of hoops with a tech who is merely guessing.  Please use this forum to update progress on finding a real and full-proof  solution.

Official Employee

I understand. The uninstall and reinstall the app process isn't a solution. It is a step in troubleshooting. Let me know if you change your mind, FrustratedGirl3!

Contributor

I have been pushing to get a solution to this, and several days ago got a callback from a very nice support person who assured me they were working on the problem and would get a callback in a couple of days.  They didn't do that.  However, when I checked the Stream app yesterday on my iPad, everything was working fine (no buffering)!  So, something did get fixed, at least here in the Portland, OR area.

I didn't have to reinstall the app or download any new app.  As of yesterday, things just started working correctly again.  So you might try again and see if things are working for you too.

Official Employee

eastmoreland, thanks for letting us know the issue has cleared up for ya!

Contributor

Didn't work for me here on the East coast.

Frequent Visitor

Working for me!  With no fanfare, suddenly yesterday everything was working as it always has, but I didn’t trust that that would last so I hesitated to post anything.  Maybe we have a real fix!

Thanks to to all who contacted Comcast/Xfinity, and who posted - hard to ignore the growing chorus!

New Poster

Still buffering for me. I’ve deleted and reinstalled the app, and done everything suggested.  My iOS is 11.3 so that’s not the issue.  Help!!

Contributor

Send a private message to ComcastKen (who's posted earlier in this thread).

Contributor

All ready have been chating with comcastKen.

Frequent Visitor

I knew it was too good to be true!  While I had two good days without buffering, it started again today, BUT only on certain channels (or, maybe I’ve just been watching the right channels the last two days).  For instance, there’s no buffering problem on NBC, but there’s the same old stop and restart on CNN.  Any thoughts from the gurus both inside and outside Xfinity?

Contributor

If you download your local tv app it won’t buffer. It’s the only work around I have found so far. No help from Comcast yet.
Frequent Visitor

Actually, the local channels are working fine through the Xfinity Stream app.  It’s CNN (and maybe others) where today I noticed continued buffering issues.

Contributor

Is your Ipad IOS 10.3.3? Mine does it on all live streaming. Anything on demand  / non live shows work fine.

Frequent Visitor

I have the minimum required iOS 11.  As I’ve said, live streaming is now working on most channels, but not all....weird!

Regular Visitor

Comcastkenf, I am trying to send you a private message but when I click on your name the Private Message option is not showing.  Is there some other way for me to send you a private message for support with my Xfinity Stream app buffering every 26 to 30 second? I already removed and reinstalled the app and deleted all Safari history and cache data

Contributor

Make sure you are signed into your Comcast account.

So far Comcast has done nothing to fix the problem with the app for us IPad users.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

So like we just need a newer tablet?

Comcast: why don't you just say that instead of going in circles for hours troubleshooting "network" or "speed" issues that don't exist?
Contributor

If you download the app for the stations you watch( local channels, SYFY, HGTV..., it won't buffer. Only when you watch them through the xfinity app.

So yes, unless Comcast does something, that's the way its going to be.

Regular Visitor

Oh, I see!  I sign into TV Land, for example, with my Comcast credentials.  Thank you @kjnk !!!!

@kjnk wrote:

If you download the app for the stations you watch( local channels, SYFY, HGTV..., it won't buffer. Only when you watch them through the xfinity app.

Regular Visitor

So the only remaining problem is that TV Land does not allow authentication with Comcast or Xfinity as a provider.  Just about every cable and satellite network I've ever heard of plus about 300 more on the list but they don't recognize Comcast.  All the money I pay for Comcast service and now I have to decide whether to shell out more for a new tablet (which is the only way to get this working correctly even though Comcast support won't admit it) or to switch to another provider in my area such as WOW
@kjnk wrote:

Contributor

Ok all, it looks like the latest fix seems to have worked for me for the most part. As was suggested from support on here, I deleted the app, turned off my iPad waited a few minutes and restarted. Then downloaded the app again even though it said it wasn’t compatible. It seems to have worked; I do sometimes get an almost unrecognizable buffer, not like before. Hopefully it will last.
New Poster

I don't want to jinx it but my streaming seems to be working again.  

Contributor

Nice! Did you do anything to try to fix it or did it fix itself?

New Poster

I'm too impatient do go through all those steps so I just waited it out. I've had sporadic outages for the past three days and the Comcast support site said they were doing maintenance work in the area. I assume that might be what fixed it.
Official Employee

Hello all, I know it can be extremely frustrating to have the app and want to watch content and the buffering takes over. Well 90% of the time buffering is caused by a poor signal, so to ensure you have the best experience please make sure you're connected to your home Wi-Fi or some sort of public Wi-Fi signal. If you're issue continues try removing the app from the device then adding it back, feel free to reach back out to us here if you need any additional assistance I am happy to help Smiley Happy

Contributor

Comcast Support,  I really appreciate you posting here and listening to our issues.  But do you really think that a buffering issue when buffering occurs EXACTLY every 28 seconds is the fault of a poor signal?  I would expect a poor signal would cause a much more random buffering problem.  A buffering issue this regular is more likely either a system (Comcast) issue or an app issue.  I know that in my area (Portland, OR) where I made a lot of noise and had the problem escalated several levels,  the problem got fixed without me having to reinstall or download any new apps.  That seems to me to mean that it was a system issue.  If this same, REGULAR, buffering issue is happening in other areas, I urge you to contact the people who fixed the Oregon issue and find out what the problem was there.

Expert

@eastmoreland wrote:

Comcast Support,  I really appreciate you posting here and listening to our issues.  But do you really think that a buffering issue when buffering occurs EXACTLY every 28 seconds is the fault of a poor signal?  I would expect a poor signal would cause a much more random buffering problem.  A buffering issue this regular is more likely either a system (Comcast) issue or an app issue.  I know that in my area (Portland, OR) where I made a lot of noise and had the problem escalated several levels,  the problem got fixed without me having to reinstall or download any new apps.  That seems to me to mean that it was a system issue.  If this same, REGULAR, buffering issue is happening in other areas, I urge you to contact the people who fixed the Oregon issue and find out what the problem was there.

on what device are you running the sfinity stream TV app? have you tried at the time you are having problem to use a differnet smart device to see if it has the same problem? 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.