Community Forum

Xfinity stream app/ Roku - Quit initializing: Sorry, something went wrong, try again later.

Frequent Visitor

Xfinity stream app/ Roku - Quit initializing: Sorry, something went wrong, try again later.

Once again, my Xfinity Stream app on my Roku device has quite working.   Same issue as a few months ago.  Start the app in Roku, app say "initializing" then I get a black screen that says-

Sorry!

Something went wrong. Please try again later  (Error). 

No code or anything.  Tried the previous advice, deleting app.  Hard restart of modem/router. Erased Roku back to factory specs, then reinstalled the Xfinity stream app.  Once everything back on line, restarted app but no joy. 

Last time it just started working again after about a week once a new update came out for the beta program.  Would be nice to hear from any others that are experiencing similar or are most systems on Roku still working fine?  Xfinity streaming still works fine if accessed via computer.   Everyone is missing live tv so would be nice to have it back with a fix again. 

Thanks, 

Mel

Official Employee

Re: Xfinity stream app/ Roku - Quit initializing: Sorry, something went wrong, try again later.

Hello, melsailsnorth! Thank you for posting in our community! The app is still in Beta status, we are still trying new configurations, some of them work, some of them fail. I can definitely check your account and troubleshoot the issue. I got your private message and will reply back in a minute. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: Xfinity stream app/ Roku - Quit initializing: Sorry, something went wrong, try again later.

Lol it’s been in ‘Beta’ since 2016.
Frequent Visitor

Ya, the longest beta run in history, lol..   Was hoping to get at least some feedback from other users to see if this indeeed was something isolated to my system, or if others are having similar issues.    I'm to the point (if it's isolated) that I'm ready to go out and buy a whole new ROKU system if it's a possible fix. 

I have no cable aside from this and I miss my local news at night.    It's either this or go invest in a 100 mile antenna to try and pull the signal in that way.   Thanks in advance for any feedback from other users!

Regular Visitor

I have the same problem and have tried the same solutions with no luck.

Regular Visitor

I have the same problem and have tried the same solutions with no help.

Official Employee

I do show the ticket is still open. Did they get in contact with you regarding this request? 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

No...I am still scratching my head. The last attempt with a Comcast technical support was to do a complete factory reset with my Roku. We tried with a complete new Roku account but the xfinity channel would not delete to reinstall. I was told to contact Roku for help with this issue and to call back when solved. BIG PROBLEM. Roku has absolutely no technical support. By the way, the phone number I was given by Comcast for Roku technical support turned out to be a third party scam!

Now that I have found your forum and searched, at least I know someone else is experiencing the same problem. Any suggestions?

thanks harry

Official Employee

I understand, I do apologize for the troubles with this. The teams working this ticket are still reviewing this. Once they know more or need to have you check something they will follow up with you directly to see what can be done to assist. 

Frequent Visitor

Really appreciate you taking the time to post here and it's nice to know I'm not the only one this might be effecting.   I PMed you also. 

Mel

Frequent Visitor

They must be making some small progress on the issue.  I was able to authorize and bring up my streaming account on Roku for a couple hours today but as soon as I stopped the program, it would not let me back into it.  I guess a couple hours is better then nothing 😜

New Poster

Im having the same issue for multiple days now. Says something went wrong and to please try again. Any help would be appreciated.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I went through it for a solid month, trying everything you can imagine.  Bottom line (if its the same issue) is that it's most likely software/account registration related and nothing you do at home is going to have any effect.  Just get in touch with one of the mods here and have them open a support ticket for you so that support can work on it on their end.  They can reset your account which seems to have positive results.  Comcast will try and (robocall) you and if you don't answer, they will close your support ticket regardless of the status of your issue.  It can be a frustrating and ongoing but keep determined and have the good folks here on the forum keep your ticket open for you till things get resolved.   Eventually they will get it back up for you.  

**If things go too long without their help, login to FCC website and file a consumer complaint (just takes a couple minutes).  This will get their upper managment to jump all over your issue within a day or so.    Not sure if they will erase the post once they read this part, but it's good for folks to know they still have options when all of Xfinity's conventional methods keep failing miserably. 

Best of luck! 

New Poster

I’m having the same problem, and on the streaming apps on my tablet and phone as well. Four days now with no cable.
Official Employee

Hi Everyone. 

Truly appreciate you all taking the time out of your busy day to let us know your issues with the XFINITY Stream Beta app on Roku. I understand how frustrating it is for something to work one day and then not the next. Our goal here is to get you up and running so you can enjoy all of your favorite programmings via our convenient app. 

MJMJS, it sounds like your concerns might be account specific so I'd be happy to look into that personally. Please send me a private message with your full name for assistance and we'll get you up and running ASAP. 

As far as troubleshooting the Roku Stream app, please follow these troubleshooting instructions precisely: 

1. Restart Roku 
2. Uninstall XFINITY Stream app 
3. Restart Roku 
4. Install XFINITY Stream app 
5. Restart Roku 

Please also check what WiFi frequency your Roku is connecting to. I suggest using band-steering on your modem. Often time if the Roku is picking up the 5ghz over 2.4ghz, an error will occur. 

Ken

Regular Visitor

This solved the issue I was having. It appears the App had on update on 11SEP2019 and the App did not autoatically update for some reason.  Deleting and reinstalling resolved the problem for me.

New Poster

The xfinity stream does not wort on my iPad either.

i think the problem is with the app.

New Poster

Argh...so I tried removing app, restarting Roku, reloading app and no luck still stuck in initialization state...I check for updated version, yes. I checked network connection, yes. Help! It worked as recently as yesterday.
Regular Visitor

Removing and reinstalling worked for me....and then it did not.  I now have to repeat that every few days. It always works for me when i reload it but its obviously quite a nuisance to have to do this every couple of days.

New Poster

Same boat now.  It's been a couple of weeks.  The app just stopped working ... stuck on initializing and black screen.  I deleted the app, restarted Roku, reinstalled, etc.  I also did a factory reset.  Nada.  Hopefully it starts working again.  Hopefully not related to Xfinity getting their own set top boxes.

Expert

@gbarber73 wrote:

Same boat now.  It's been a couple of weeks.  The app just stopped working ... stuck on initializing and black screen.  I deleted the app, restarted Roku, reinstalled, etc.  I also did a factory reset.  Nada.  Hopefully it starts working again.  Hopefully not related to Xfinity getting their own set top boxes.

do a factory reset and then unplug all cables from the roku for 3 minutes. plug back in and install the xfinity stream TV beta channel. Does it authorize and show you the channel grid for live tv?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Mine too- just like it was in May. It’s been three days. Last time it took ten, and all the online accounts froze too. Please reboot!
Expert

@MJMJS wrote:
Mine too- just like it was in May. It’s been three days. Last time it took ten, and all the online accounts froze too. Please reboot!

what have you done to remove and reinstall the app after a power down of the roku device?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I’m having the same issues. Can you please help me?
New Poster

Can you please help me too? I’m having the same issues. Just a black screen that says initializing for two days now.
New Poster

Mine came back on it’s own after four days. I just left it alone. I have three Rokus.
New Poster

I’ve been having the same problem for a few days now
New Poster

I have  same issue. Do I need to open a ticket for Xfinity to do someting on servers side? How to do it?

New Poster

My Roku has the same problem. Stuck on initializing. Deleted the app, reinstalled, all the normal tricks. Any news on an update soon?
Expert

after uninstalling the xfinity stream beta channel unplug the HDMI and power cables from the roku and after 30+ seconds plug back in. working/

New Poster

Did all that and it’s still doing the same thing. Black screen that says “initializing ...”
New Poster

I'm having the same issue- some assistance would be great!

Expert

@leu1003 wrote:

I'm having the same issue- some assistance would be great!

next step is a factory reset from the roku menu then unplug from hdmi and power for 5+ minutes. then restart and begin install.

New Poster

I started having this same issue this morning. I've done everything in this thread and it still gets stuck initializing. Whatever you did the app recently needs to be rolled back to restore compatibility.
New Poster

It sounds weird but if you reboot your modem and router it will fix the problem. I was out two days with the same issue and did that and it worked . I tried everything else before
New Poster

@Cbiv wrote:
It sounds weird but if you reboot your modem and router it will fix the problem. I was out two days with the same issue and did that and it worked . I tried everything else before

This works!  It resets the sign in process.

New Poster

This worked !! The timing makes sense, too, as I got an email notification from Xfinity today that my internet speed was given a complimentary boost. Makes sense that with that update, would need to reset devices/etc. using the internet and on our general Xfinity account. Thanks again!!!!! Hoping others see these latest reports so they can resolve faster than it took me.
New Poster

Was there a solution for the "initializing" screen when trying to load the Xfinity Streaming app on Roku? I have 3 separate Roku devices in the house (different models) and they all got this problem at the same time.
New Poster

Recycling power to my cable-modem fixed my ROKU issues

New Poster

I’m having same issues and no help from xfinity. Now I remember why I left them before.
Expert

@Keith6613 wrote:
I’m having same issues and no help from xfinity. Now I remember why I left them before.

if you are getting the error message in your current subject line reboot the modem and the roku device. working?

New Poster

I am having the very same problem that Mel is having It's an error message saying basically something went wrong, try again later. Please advise me concerning what to do.
Expert

@Pastorlejoi wrote:
I am having the very same problem that Mel is having It's an error message saying basically something went wrong, try again later. Please advise me concerning what to do.

unplug the power from your gateway modem (not a separate router) for 30+ seconds. 

New Poster

Streaming on Roku stuck on INITIALIZING
Expert

@Jerryc1029 wrote:
Streaming on Roku stuck on INITIALIZING

reboot your modem (remove power for 30+ seconds).

New Poster

Thank you for the instruction. It now works perfectly.