Community Forum

Xfinity TV on Roku for cable card customers

Regular Visitor

Xfinity TV on Roku for cable card customers

Hi, 

I am interested in the Roku app, but wanted to check if it would work for me prior to upgrading my roku.

I have my own cable modem, which other users seem to be able to work with, but I do not have any cable boxes, rather a cable card device. Would I be able to use the roku app like a stream customer would?

Thanks

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku for cable card customers

I

Johnr12345 wrote:

Hi, 

I am interested in the Roku app, but wanted to check if it would work for me prior to upgrading my roku.

I have my own cable modem, which other users seem to be able to work with, but I do not have any cable boxes, rather a cable card device. Would I be able to use the roku app like a stream customer would?

Thanks

For now, I don't think it may not work as they are requiring you have at least one cable box. You could always try it out, as it's still Beta. The worst is that it will not authorize.

Since it sounds like they will be treating it as a CableCard device (outlet charge with a device discount), once it goes live, it will cost the same as your Tivo. Maybe then you will not need a cable box, but then you also will not need the Tivo monthly subscription or lifetime fee.

Regular Visitor

Thanks for the response Andy, I use WMC(free but no on demand) rather than tivo(includes comcast on demand) and only have the single outlet so no extra charges related to it at this time. The requirement for a cable box seems to be relative considering stream customers can use it without a box, I am not terribly concerned about live or recorded tv really just access to on demand.

Any of the Comcast Employees have any ideas or suggestions.

Regular Contributor

I have a Comcast rented gateway/modem but do not have any Comcast set top boxes. I have two CableCards that I use in Tivo boxes. I was able to install the Xfinity TV app on my Roku Ultra & Roku 3 and the app is working fine. 

Contributor

joenhre08 wrote:

I have a Comcast rented gateway/modem but do not have any Comcast set top boxes. I have two CableCards that I use in Tivo boxes. I was able to install the Xfinity TV app on my Roku Ultra & Roku 3 and the app is working fine. 

I have CableCARDs and the app works, however, I have had issues with HD through the App, SD works fine.

Regular Visitor

Cablecard user here too. No HD on the roku, but I get HD on every other device.

I wish they would fix it for us.