Community Forum

Xfinity Stream frustration

Frequent Visitor

Xfinity Stream frustration

I often use the Xfinity Stream app to watch live tv on my iPad in my home in rooms where I don’t have a tv. It has worked great until this week. All of a sudden and about every 10-20 seconds, the live program stops and reloads. Can this be fixed?

Expert

Re: Xfinity Stream frustration

@FrustratedGirl3 wrote:

I often use the Xfinity Stream app to watch live tv on my iPad in my home in rooms where I don’t have a tv. It has worked great until this week. All of a sudden and about every 10-20 seconds, the live program stops and reloads. Can this be fixed?

that is a function of your internet connection at the gateway and the device. if you move near the wireless router does the issue improve? did you try running a SPEEDTEST ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, Rustyben!  Unfortunately, the “stop and restart” happens whether I am in the same room as my wireless router or another room in my house.  Also, I run a Speedtest  regularly.  There is a decrease in download speed of 5.4 mbps from the test done before this problem started (no change in upload speed).  Is that enough of a difference to cause the problem I describe?  If so, what’s the fix?

Expert

@FrustratedGirl3 wrote:

Thanks, Rustyben!  Unfortunately, the “stop and restart” happens whether I am in the same room as my wireless router or another room in my house.  Also, I run a Speedtest  regularly.  There is a decrease in download speed of 5.4 mbps from the test done before this problem started (no change in upload speed).  Is that enough of a difference to cause the problem I describe?  If so, what’s the fix?

have you tried a different wireless device? have you closed all apps and power shutdown and restarted the device to be sure it isn't a 'busy' processor?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Yes, it also happens on my iPhone, though I rarely use that device in my home to watch live tv.  And yes, I close all apps often and have powered off (and back on) to see if that helps, which it does not.  I haven’t tried deleting the app and re-installing.  Do you think that is the fix?  Any downside to doing that?

Expert

@FrustratedGirl3 wrote:

Yes, it also happens on my iPhone, though I rarely use that device in my home to watch live tv.  And yes, I close all apps often and have powered off (and back on) to see if that helps, which it does not.  I haven’t tried deleting the app and re-installing.  Do you think that is the fix?  Any downside to doing that?

do you have an ethernet connected pc you can use to test too?

Frequent Visitor

Sadly, no.

Expert

@FrustratedGirl3 wrote:

Sadly, no.

a comcast official employee will usually reply within 72 hours of your initial post. they can see some of your signal levels. they will probably reply and ask you to private message them with name and account. be sure not to provide that info to anyone but official employees when asked.

Contributor

This is the same problem I'm having.  See the previous thread in this forum.  I have spent days and days of frustration talking to customer support.  They are now telling me that I have to contact Apple support and get them to refresh my device and see if that will sync it up properly with the Xfinity Stream app.

This issue didn't happen to me until the July 16 (I think) update of the Xfinity Stream app.  It affects only streaming of live channels, not recorded programs.  It happens only with the Xfinity Stream app, not other streaming apps on the same device (i.e.  The Golf Channel app streams the live Golf Channel feed just fine, but the Xfinity Stream app doesn't).  The Xfinity Steam app on my Android phone works fine, as does streaming on my Windows machine.  It is only IOS version of Xfinity Stream that has a problem, and it's a problem with older machines that don't support IOS 11  (mine only supports IOS 10.3.3.

I hope this can somehow get fed back to the app developers so they can fix this bug, because the support staff is adamantly denying that anything is wrong with the app.  <Edited>  I really hope that isn't the case, and they can look into and fix this.

Contributor

Update.  I  have contacted Apple support and they walked me through the refresh.  That did not help at all.   Same problem exists.  I contacted Xfinity support again, and they as much as said that the version of the Xfinity Stream app that was downloaded in mid-july  5.8.1.1354 has a problem working with the latest version of IOS that my iPad supports 10.3.3.

I am trying to get Xfinity to submit a problem report to the Stream app developers, but I am having trouble getting anyone to contact them, whoever they are.  

They need to either fix this bug, or make available an earlier version of the app, which did work just fine.

Frequent Visitor

I have the same iPad version and same Stream version and also have not received a resolution to this. 

Contributor

I convinced support to open a new trouble ticket that a higher level of support (or maybe the contractors who actually code the Stream app) will use to address the problem.  They "promised" me that I would receive a callback from them in one or two days.  But I'm not holding my breath.

Until next week, I will be unable to devote as much time pestering Xfinity as I did today.  But then I will be on it like a dog on a bone.

BTW, I think it's important that those of you who have the same problem report it here.  It helped that I was able to say that three people in the forum have reported this same issue.  It's not just one lone crazy dude that they can ignore.

Frequent Visitor

Good work! I'm sure there are many who are having this problem. I haven't even mentioned the related problem of not being able to use another app while trying to stream live tv (like when I want to hear the minimized tv stream but read a news feed). I used to do this all the time and now I lose the tv stream if I click on another app. If Xfinity is monitoring this forum, please fix this!!
Frequent Visitor

Agree! Glad someone has been able to get some movement. In addition to this issue with Xfinity Stream on my iPad, I'm having issues with Xfinity Stream on my iPad Pro where it will only allow me to see TV GO channels and not the entire line up. I was trying to see if XS on my Pro had the same issue with Live TV but I can't even get that far. Totally messed up app!

New Poster

I am having the same problem! My iPad is an iPad Pro and my iOS version right now is 11.2. It’s very annoying. Am glad to hear that I’m not alone. How can I help reach out to xfinity?

Frequent Visitor

Has anyone gotten any resolution yet to the buffering issue with the Xfinity Stream app yet? 

My iPad is 10.3.3 version and Stream is version 5.8.1.1354. Been having this issue going on two weeks now. Live TV buffers every 30 seconds. Can't tell you how many times I've been told to delete app and re-install after a refresh has been done. The problem has to be with the programming of the App and not with my iPad. Have a ticket also: CR859902132. Really exhausted with all the back and forth.

Frequent Visitor

@eastmoreland , any resolution to this yet? I haven't been able to get any. Still back and forth with Xfinity.

Contributor

Nope, they have done nothing yet.

Contributor

It is definitely the xfinity app. I talked to Comcast support and chased it up the ladder of support. They said it wasn't the app and should wait for apple to update the version of iOS for the iPad. Before I could tell them the latest iOS is it, they were gone. 

Highlighted
Contributor

You can call them and they will walk you through all the steps that won't work and then you can try to escalate it up the ladder. But they still won't say it's the apps fault. 

Contributor

• To the customer expert, maybe you can see if Comcast will do anything with the app. No one here seems to be able to get any results.
Contributor

Please excuse me for not posting earlier.  I keep getting an error message (Too many redirects) when trying to post to this forum.  Something else Xfinity should work on.

Anyway, I did get a callback from a very nice guy at customer support several days ago who said the developers were definitely involved in solving the problem (stream starts and stops every 28 seconds).  They promised to call me back in a couple of days.  They didn't do that.  However, when I checked the Stream app yesterday on my iPad, everything was working fine!  So, something did get fixed.

Frequent Visitor

I got excited to hear yours is working so I checked mine and still same issue. I even deleted the app again and re loaded but same result. Hopefully they will get it fixed soon. I've given up getting anybody to do anything about it. Appreciate your response.

Frequent Visitor

Working for me!  With no fanfare, suddenly yesterday everything was working as it always has, but I didn’t trust that that would last so I hesitated to post anything.  Maybe we have a real fix!

Contributor

Smiley Sad

Frequent Visitor

I just checked back in with Comcast and they are telling me that my IPad has to have iOS 11.0 at least for Xfinity Stream to work. I mentioned others in this forum who had theirs spontaneously start working again the past couple of days and was told that they will eventually have issues again because it's not compatable with 10.3.3 iOS version any longer.