Community Forum

Xfinity Stream audio & video not synced

New Poster

Xfinity Stream audio & video not synced

I am trying to watch shows on my computer via Xfinity Stream. While it has worked fine in the past, every show I pull up today has the audio and video out of sync. Audio is lagging about 5 seconds behind  video, which makes everything unwatchable.

Considering nothing has changed on my end, I imagine Xfinity is having some undisclosed stream problem...?

Expert

Re: Xfinity Stream audio & video not synced

@JenA1 wrote:

I am trying to watch shows on my computer via Xfinity Stream. While it has worked fine in the past, every show I pull up today has the audio and video out of sync. Audio is lagging about 5 seconds behind  video, which makes everything unwatchable.

Considering nothing has changed on my end, I imagine Xfinity is having some undisclosed stream problem...?

many times on youtube (pc or smart device), pausing for a moment and then resuming seems to fix that. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I've been having this same issue trying to watch Live TV on a laptop (at home on the Comcast network).  There's no B/W issue, but audio quickly gets massively out of sync with video.  A typical example: the audio gets 15 seconds fast in less than 10 minutes of listening.  While starting and stopping does re-sync things temporarily, the drift is so large that there's no point in watching the video -- it might as well just be an audio-only player.

What I don' t get about this is that I thought transport formats like MPEG have timestamps in the audio and video tracks, and any player should respect those timestamps to keep audio and video in sync.  But clearly the Xfinity player running on a laptop is not doing that.

Any suggestions (other than switching to a different provider)?

Expert

@noalternative wrote:

I've been having this same issue trying to watch Live TV on a laptop (at home on the Comcast network).  There's no B/W issue, but audio quickly gets massively out of sync with video.  A typical example: the audio gets 15 seconds fast in less than 10 minutes of listening.  While starting and stopping does re-sync things temporarily, the drift is so large that there's no point in watching the video -- it might as well just be an audio-only player.

What I don' t get about this is that I thought transport formats like MPEG have timestamps in the audio and video tracks, and any player should respect those timestamps to keep audio and video in sync.  But clearly the Xfinity player running on a laptop is not doing that.

Any suggestions (other than switching to a different provider)?

better to change to a different browser. are you running 1903 windows 10? 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Not running Windows at all -- it's on a Chromebox that has no problem streaming from multiple other services.  This only happens with the Xfinity Stream player.

Expert

@noalternative wrote:

Not running Windows at all -- it's on a Chromebox that has no problem streaming from multiple other services.  This only happens with the Xfinity Stream player.

are you using the chrome web browser to access the xfinity stream TV web site?

New Poster

Yes -- Chrome on a Chromebox.  Are there known issues with Chrome and Xfinity Streaming?

The one difference between Xfinity and other streaming services is that Xfinity is still using flash (while the rest of the industry has moved on).

Expert

@noalternative wrote:

Yes -- Chrome on a Chromebox.  Are there known issues with Chrome and Xfinity Streaming?

The one difference between Xfinity and other streaming services is that Xfinity is still using flash (while the rest of the industry has moved on).

flash is not used at all to stream it is used only to verify the HDCP security before streaming and at intervals (heartbeat) during the transmission of encrypted video. that limited use will end per comcast by last day of December 2020

New Poster

Thanks for clarifying that -- I didn't know that the flash part was just for DRM these days.

Despite that, the Xfinity streaming player seems quite problematic compared to any other streaming media service I use (at least four others come to mind).  If you hear of any solution for this audio sync issue, please let us all know....