Community Forum

Xfinity Stream app on Roku with non Comcast cable modem

Frequent Visitor

Xfinity Stream app on Roku with non Comcast cable modem

I am currently an X1 customer and use my own cable modem. I am able to us the Xfinity Stream App successfully on my tablet and phone. I am considering purchasing a Roku Streaming Stick+ (model 3810). Will I be able to run the Xfinity Stream app from this new device without the need to rent an Xfinity cable modem / router? Thank you
Expert

Re: Xfinity Stream app on Roku with non Comcast cable modem

@djgrabow wrote:
I am currently an X1 customer and use my own cable modem. I am able to us the Xfinity Stream App successfully on my tablet and phone. I am considering purchasing a Roku Streaming Stick+ (model 3810). Will I be able to run the Xfinity Stream app from this new device without the need to rent an Xfinity cable modem / router? Thank you

the roku is under beta testing now with the stream app and good news is that that model roku is supported. there is a thread on the roku beta at http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/XFINITY-Stream-on-Roku/td-p/2834869 - please note a few things, the roku when out of beta will have a monthly charge that hasn't been announced. so far even though in home, you can't record from the roku. The roku will only play cloud DVR recordings. Currently if you do not have a line on your Comcast bill for HD Technology $10 then Roku will not have HD. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Yes I just set up my own separate modem + router, downloaded Xfinity app to my Roku today, so far so good. Saving over $100. Still have the x1 dvr, for now
New Poster

I have a vacation house that has Spectrum internet.  I have xfinity at my main house and want to use the xfinity app with the spectrum internet at the vacation home.  It does not work.  Is there a way to fix?  I can watch xfinity on my Laptop PC on the spectrum internet.

Trying not to pay twice.....

Bronze Problem Solver

@Robr1 wrote:

I have a vacation house that has Spectrum internet.  I have xfinity at my main house and want to use the xfinity app with the spectrum internet at the vacation home.  It does not work.  Is there a way to fix?  I can watch xfinity on my Laptop PC on the spectrum internet.

Use an hdmi cable to connect your tv to your pc to watch. Roku app won't work.

Expert

@Robr1 wrote:

the TVgo channels should work normally (if location is in USA) as well as majority of on-demand programs and your completed recordings.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!