Community Forum

Xfinity Stream app on Android is unblocking notifications

Problem Solver

Xfinity Stream app on Android is unblocking notifications

I have the Xfinity Stream app version 5.4.0.048 installed on a Samsung Android phone Lolipop version 5.1.1.

Using my phone's Notification settings, I have blocked notifications from the Xfinity Stream app.  But the stream app keeps unblocking them, and I get new notifications.  I have to go back into settings and re-enable the block.  This cycle repeats over and over again.

Expert

Re: Xfinity Stream app on Android is unblocking notifications

@Tcalg wrote:

I have the Xfinity Stream app version 5.4.0.048 installed on a Samsung Android phone Lolipop version 5.1.1.

Using my phone's Notification settings, I have blocked notifications from the Xfinity Stream app.  But the stream app keeps unblocking them, and I get new notifications.  I have to go back into settings and re-enable the block.  This cycle repeats over and over again.

is the installed stream TV app version 5.4.0.048 ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Problem Solver

Yes, as I said in my first post, version 5.4.0.048.

Expert

@Tcalg wrote:

Yes, as I said in my first post, version 5.4.0.048.

what kind of notifications are you receiving from the app? I was surprised the new version is running on lollipop version as last I remember marshmallow was the minimum.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Problem Solver

I've been receiving notifications about the Women's World Cup soccer tournament right around start time for each of the U.S. Women's games.   Each time I've gotten a notification, the first thing I've done is go into settings and re-block notifications.

I know my phone is old, but the app seems to work just fine.  It has been updated regularly; last time June 19, 2019.

Official Employee

Greetings, Tcalg! I appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us here on the forums. I hope you are having an amazing day. I apologize to hear that your notifications for the streaming app are somehow getting reset. How this only happened with the Xfinity Stream app or by chance with any other app?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Problem Solver

This has mostly been happening with the Xfinity Stream app.  However, just the other day, it also happened with the CBS - Full Episodes and Live TV app.  But that's the first notification I've seen from the CBS app in a long time.

Other than that, I have 4 other apps that I'm blocking notifications using Android's system settings.  I think I may have some other apps for which I've turned off notifications from within the apps themselves.  I set up the blocking for these apps a long time ago, and those settings have remained unchanged.

Official Employee

I appreciate that information, Tcalg. Looking into some information on https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-tv-app-requirements Lolipop is still supported. Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall the Xfinity Stream app? If not please try reinstalling using the following steps:

Log out or force close the Xfinity Stream app.
Go into settings > apps > Xfinity Stream app.
Clear cache and data.
Once cleared, uninstall the app.
Reboot after you uninstall the app.
Once the device has booted back up reinstall the app.

Once reinstalled, reset the notifications to be blocked and let us know if they come back.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Problem Solver

I have completed all the steps, and I will keep an eye on the app and let you know if it happens again.

Official Employee

Hey, Tcalg. I hope you are well. I appreciate the update. We will be on standby waiting for the next update from you.

Official Employee

Hello, Tcalg. I hope you are having a great day! I just wanted to follow up to see if you were still having issues with the Stream app unblocking notifications. I look forward to hearing from you.

Problem Solver

I have not recieved any notifications from the Xfinity Stream app recently.  But, in checking my phone's settings, I see that the app has once again unblocked notifications.

I believe the app has been updated once since I went through that procedure to uninstall and reinstall it.  The currently installed version is 5.4.2.002.  I suspect that updating the app resets the notification settings.  This shouldn't happen.

Official Employee

Hey, Tcalg. Thanks for that update and hope you are having a great day. I was also testing this out on my S10 but I was not able to reproduce the issue. At this time I will forward this information to the proper channels to have it looked into. Seems to be one of those one-off situations as when I looked into my settings my notifications were blocked. I am running the same version app as well. With this being sent and brought to attention, was there anything else I could assist you with?

Official Employee

Hello, Tcalg. I have not heard back from you. If you still need assistance, please feel free to start a new public thread.