Community Forum

Xfinity Stream Roku App crashing to Roku's Home

New Poster

Xfinity Stream Roku App crashing to Roku's Home

I've been one of the first adopters of Xfinity Stream app, never had an issue with it, a few weeks ago I'am unable to watch certain shows for example 60 Minutes, it let me choose the show, then see the list of available episodes but when I select one of them the app crash and send me to the Roku home, it doesn't even gets to the episode description screen.

I have two Roku Ultra (one connected via ethernet, one via wifi) and one roku stick and the same thing happens in all of them.

Things I tried with no luck.
1- Updating devices softwares
2- Rebooting devices and network
3- Remove the app and reinstall the app
4- Switching HDMI inputs
5- Contacted Xfinity via chat, they did a few things and none fix the issue

Nothing fixed it.

The live tv works fine and other shows plays fine.
I tried the 60 Minutes show on my cellphone and it plays fine but it does not allow to cast the screen to my TV.

Please Help!

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity Stream Roku App crashing to Roku's Home

Did you ever find a fix for this problem?  We have the same issue, intermittently, via our Roku set (not sure what model it is).   It is maddening!  I don't see where we can update the Roku so I have no idea what fixes to try. 

Official Employee

Hello, kayla__pr. Thanks for reaching out to us on the forums. I apologize to hear of the issues you are running into with the Roku. To update the Roku, you should be able to use the following link on how to update it: https://support.roku.com/article/208755668-how-to-update-the-software-on-your-roku-streaming-device

If you still find yourself having issues, feel free to send me a pm with your first and last name and I can further assist you.

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMichael" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your reply.  I checked my Roku and it is up to date.  Under system -> about, it says I have software version 4210X.

If you have any insights as to why we intermittently get kicked back to the guide or the app home page when trying to view a program, that would be great.  Thanks.

Official Employee

kayla__pr - 

Thank you for keeping us updated. Are you experiencing this issue on other devices as well, or just the Roku?

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

The only place we stream is via the Roku.

Official Employee

Would you mind attempting to manually log out of the application, delete the application, re-download it, re-launch it and then sign back in? I have seen cases where that cleared the problem. The order in doing that is also important. Let us know, thank you. 

Frequent Visitor

Will do. It will probably be tomorrow before I have time to watch and test it out. Thanks for your help.

New Poster

I am having the same issue with my ROKU Ultra. When I try to watch programming via the xfinity app, the app crahes / exits back to the ROKU home screen upon selecting "watch" within the app. No error messages are displayed. This happened last week while I was running version 8.x of the ROKU OS and is still happening this week with ROKU OS version 9. Today, while running OS 9, I uninstalled and reinstalled the xfinity app and the same behavior occured. I am on a wired ethernet connectoin and am using HDMI. 

Official Employee

Hi, 2146leland. Welcome and thanks for posting! Since you've gone through those few steps with an unsuccessful result, please send me a private message with your name and best contact number so I can open a request for you.

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMorgan" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

Thank you.

New Poster

I'am still having the same issue, I don't know what else to do to fix this. I know I'am not the only one experiencing this crashing problem. If someone find a fix please post.
Official Employee

Hi, ltpliskin. I'll need to open up a request for you and that will help link all of these issues together. Please send me a private message with your name and contact number and we will go from there. 

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMorgan" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

Thank you. 

New Poster

Here is what worked for me on Roku TV to stop Xfinity Stream Beta from crashing.

1. Go to the Xfinity Stream app and hit the * button on your remote, then uninstall/remove the app.

2. Next you will need to do a restart of your roku tv, Go to the menu on the left then "Settings" at the bottom. "Power" -> "System Restart".

Go back to the channel store either on your phone or on the tv to reinstall the Xfinity Stream Beta app. If this worked you should see a screen that tells you to go to "xfinity.com/authorize" and a code will be displayed on your screen. If you don't see this then try uninstalling again, remove the power cord for a bit and try again.

I can confirm the above worked for me. It's an authentication issue that's causing the problem I think. Once you go through the initial screen and add your device like the first time you used the app it fixes it.

Frequent Visitor

Sorry it has taken so long for me to post back.  We had an outage for a few days, then never had time to watch TV, so I have just now tried watching since uninstalling and reinstalling the app.  So far, it seems to be working without crashing back to the home screen.  Now I can't get the "sports" channel selection to load, but that's another problem I'll look at another time!  

Official Employee

Thanks for posting, kayla___pr. Glad to hear you're back on track. Let us know what you need help with, down the road. Take care.