Community Forum

Xfinity Stream - In Home Doesn't Work if Not Xfinity Internet Customer?

Frequent Visitor

Xfinity Stream - In Home Doesn't Work if Not Xfinity Internet Customer?

As the title states, is this correct? I'm a paying Xfinity cable customer, but I went with ATT Gigapower recently for internet. The agent at the local store told me I can use the Xfinity Stream app with no issues, but tech support tells me that I have to be an Xfinity internet customer to watch local channels. I get the "must be connected to in-home WiFi" error when trying to watch ABC, Fox, CBS, etc.  TVGO works fine. I've tried on my PC, laptop, and mobile phone.

 

The website states "Note: The Xfinity Stream app is now available to all customers with Xfinity TV service, including those with Xfinity Instant TV. Some features may vary depending on your services."

 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-tv-app-requirements

 

Thanks

 

 

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity Stream - In Home Doesn't Work if Not Xfinity Internet Customer?

This is true and part of the last line of your post...
“Some features may vary depending on your services."

From your attached link

To stream in-home live TV you must be connected to your in-home Xfinity network.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity Stream - In Home Doesn't Work if Not Xfinity Internet Customer?


@Mording wrote:

As the title states, is this correct? I'm a paying Xfinity cable customer, but I went with ATT Gigapower recently for internet. The agent at the local store told me I can use the Xfinity Stream app with no issues, but tech support tells me that I have to be an Xfinity internet customer to watch local channels. I get the "must be connected to in-home WiFi" error when trying to watch ABC, Fox, CBS, etc.  TVGO works fine. I've tried on my PC, laptop, and mobile phone.

 

The website states "Note: The Xfinity Stream app is now available to all customers with Xfinity TV service, including those with Xfinity Instant TV. Some features may vary depending on your services."

 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-tv-app-requirements

 

Thanks


 

Not all streaming content will be available without xf internet.

 

From "Get Started with the Xfinity Stream App"

Connection to your in-home Xfinity network for select live TV and On Demand streaming

Any Internet or mobile connection for watching TV Everywhere (TV Go) programming

 

 

Source: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/getting-started-xfinity-tv-mobile-app

 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity Stream - In Home Doesn't Work if Not Xfinity Internet Customer?

How frustrating...Xfinity couldn't match the offer from ATT for internet and then a service I use with Xfinity is hamstrung because I go with the better internet offer  Smiley Sad

 

Are there any pay options to add this service without internet? Or am I SOL at this time?

 

Thanks for the quick response

Contributor

Re: Xfinity Stream - In Home Doesn't Work if Not Xfinity Internet Customer?


@Mording wrote:

How frustrating...Xfinity couldn't match the offer from ATT for internet and then a service I use with Xfinity is hamstrung because I go with the better internet offer  Smiley Sad

 

Are there any pay options to add this service without internet? Or am I SOL at this time?

 

Thanks for the quick response


There are over 100 channels available when not connected via Xfinity Internet in your home. Just select the “Available out of home” filter. 

 

If you have DVR service, you can also watch completed recordings this way.

 

 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity Stream - In Home Doesn't Work if Not Xfinity Internet Customer?

Any way to make Xfinity stream on Roku work at all without Xfinity internet? On my computer and phone, I can at least watch some stuff. The roku app won't to even load
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity Stream - In Home Doesn't Work if Not Xfinity Internet Customer?


@Mording wrote:
Any way to make Xfinity stream on Roku work at all without Xfinity internet? On my computer and phone, I can at least watch some stuff. The roku app won't to even load

Roku app requires being on xf home network

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity Stream - In Home Doesn't Work if Not Xfinity Internet Customer?

No, you need an Xfinity Internet connection

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-stream-beta-app-faqs

Customers must subscribe to Xfinity TV and Xfinity Internet

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity Stream - In Home Doesn't Work if Not Xfinity Internet Customer?

Thanks

 

Hopefully the software is reconsidered once out of beta to allow for use of the app without Xfinity internet