Community Forum

Xfinity Stream Beta playback error on Roku.

New Poster

Xfinity Stream Beta playback error on Roku.

When I open the app on ALL of my Roku devices and attempt to play back a video that has been previously recorded/saved to my home DVR, the app opens and begins to play the show, but then crashes. As soon as I hit play, a box comes up (covering the whole screen) that says "you appear to have watched this program, would you like to delete it now?" with a yes or no option after it. The no option does nothing, and the message continues to cover my screen, often times while the program is actively playing underneath it. Also, when I attempt to watch that same show on my actual Xfinity DVR (after trying to watch it on the Roku and encountering the aforementioned problem) I get yet ANOTHER error message that says that a playback error has occurred, and it offers me other non-DVR options to watch the show. ALL THIS BEING SAID, if I FIRST try to watch my recording on either the DVR itself or my Samsung S9 Xfinity app, I can do so flawlessly, leading me to conclude that the problem lies with that ridiculous Beta app that I am forced to utilize through Roku. Thoughts, before I drop Comcast altogether?
Expert

Re: Xfinity Stream Beta playback error on Roku.

@papichulo1160 wrote:
When I open the app on ALL of my Roku devices and attempt to play back a video that has been previously recorded/saved to my home DVR, the app opens and begins to play the show, but then crashes. As soon as I hit play, a box comes up (covering the whole screen) that says "you appear to have watched this program, would you like to delete it now?" with a yes or no option after it. The no option does nothing, and the message continues to cover my screen, often times while the program is actively playing underneath it. Also, when I attempt to watch that same show on my actual Xfinity DVR (after trying to watch it on the Roku and encountering the aforementioned problem) I get yet ANOTHER error message that says that a playback error has occurred, and it offers me other non-DVR options to watch the show. ALL THIS BEING SAID, if I FIRST try to watch my recording on either the DVR itself or my Samsung S9 Xfinity app, I can do so flawlessly, leading me to conclude that the problem lies with that ridiculous Beta app that I am forced to utilize through Roku. Thoughts, before I drop Comcast altogether?

to fix this go to your main roku menu and highlight the Xfinity channel and press the * (star button) and select remove channel. on the same menu move left, and go to system (roku) and select reboot/restart. when it restarts search for the Roku channel and add it. then log in and authorize. working now?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Nope. Problem persists.
Official Employee

Hi there, papichulo1160. Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. It's frustrating to hear about the playback problems you're experiencing! Have you tried doing a regular powercycle on your physical DVR box to resfresh everything and then re-attempt the DVR playback to see if the issue continues, going about it in that same order? Let me know, thanks!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@ComcastMorgan wrote:

Hi there, papichulo1160. Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. It's frustrating to hear about the playback problems you're experiencing! Have you tried doing a regular powercycle on your physical DVR box to resfresh everything and then re-attempt the DVR playback to see if the issue continues, going about it in that same order? Let me know, thanks!

his issue is with cloud DVR playback on the roku.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

This message is what makes me think otherwise: "Also, when I attempt to watch that same show on my actual Xfinity DVR (after trying to watch it on the Roku and encountering the aforementioned problem) I get yet ANOTHER error message that says that a playback error has occurred, and it offers me other non-DVR options to watch the show."

If that is the case, we typically would troubleshoot the actual DVR itself first. We will see what they say after they confirm either way. Thank you. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

You misunderstand. If I watch a show from start to finish on the DVR or on the streaming app on my Samsung S9, it plays flawlessly. If I start to watch it on either device and then finish watching it on one of the 3 Roku devices, the problem repeatedly occurs. Even if I try to watch it uninterrupted on the Roku, but have cause to pause it momentarily and then restart it, the problem occurs. Again, the only constant is the subpar beta app.
Official Employee

Thanks for clarifying/elaborating, I appreciate that. It seems like you've isolated this issue and it sounds like all other features within the app work, besides this specific sequence. It's great that you have brought this to our attention and since it is a beta version on Roku partner devices, it is a work in progress. I can go ahead and open up a request for you to have this looked into and to see what can be done to correct it. If you can please send me a private message with your name and best contact number, we can start that process. Thank you. 

Official Employee

Good morning, papichulo1160. I haven't heard back from you on this, so I will be completing this interaction. If you do end up needing further support with it and would like to move forward with the steps I listed above, you're welcome to still send me that private message. I will be happy to continue from there. Have a good one, take care.