Community Forum

Xfinity Stream App on Roku not working

New Poster

Xfinity Stream App on Roku not working

The Roku streaming app has not worked for days. I can't watch DVR recordings or live TV.  When I choose to watch a recording, it seems to load for 3 seconds, but never starts; then I'm told that I seem to have finished watching it and given the option to delete. Choosing a live program produces the same pause then returns to the channel guide - no error screen or any prompt at all.

To be clear: (1) I am on my home network, (2) I have a Roku 3 device running the most recently updated sytem software, (3) the app has worked (without this specific problem) essentially since it was released, (4) I have restarted the device, restarted my modem, logged out then back in, and deleted then reinstalled the app, and (5) I can use all the DVR and channel features on my set-top box, computer, tablet or iPhone.

I have called twice about this issue, both times the issue couldn't be resolved and I was told to expect a call back. I've never gotten a return call. My guess is that an app update caused this problem, but I was told otherwise when I called. Keeping an app in beta for years to rationalize its problems its one thing. Refusing to acknowledge or respond to complaints about them is worse. I'd really like some help with this.

Expert

Re: Xfinity Stream App on Roku not working

@Bh25 wrote:

The Roku streaming app has not worked for days. I can't watch DVR recordings or live TV.  When I choose to watch a recording, it seems to load for 3 seconds, but never starts; then I'm told that I seem to have finished watching it and given the option to delete. Choosing a live program produces the same pause then returns to the channel guide - no error screen or any prompt at all.

To be clear: (1) I am on my home network, (2) I have a Roku 3 device running the most recently updated sytem software, (3) the app has worked (without this specific problem) essentially since it was released, (4) I have restarted the device, restarted my modem, logged out then back in, and deleted then reinstalled the app, and (5) I can use all the DVR and channel features on my set-top box, computer, tablet or iPhone.

I have called twice about this issue, both times the issue couldn't be resolved and I was told to expect a call back. I've never gotten a return call. My guess is that an app update caused this problem, but I was told otherwise when I called. Keeping an app in beta for years to rationalize its problems its one thing. Refusing to acknowledge or respond to complaints about them is worse. I'd really like some help with this.

The roku device may have an issue.k are you getting an error code message and numeric/number error code?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

@Bh25 wrote:

Have you tried logging out of the app and then reactivating?  Xfinity recently upgraded the app and right after that I would see Live TV for a few seconds and then the app would crash.  Logging out of the app and reactivating seemed to resolve the issue for me with being able to view content.

New Poster

I am not getting any error message. For DVR just a prompt saying I've finished watching the recording (which hasn't even started) and asking if I want to delete it. For live TV, no message at all. It just goes back to the channel guide.

New Poster

I tried logging out and then back in, but it still has the same problem. Also restarted the device a couple times, which also didn't seem to do anything.

Expert

@Bh25 wrote:

I tried logging out and then back in, but it still has the same problem. Also restarted the device a couple times, which also didn't seem to do anything.

do you know the procedure to remove the 'channel' from your Roku then reinstall and sign back in?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Yes. I removed the app, then reloaded it. I tried it twice, and the second time I restarted the device before reinstalling the app. Same exact problem.

New Poster

I strongly suspect the problem is not my device, since this is the only app/channel that is causing any kind of trouble. And the Roku steaming app is the only problem I'm having viewing any Comcast/Xfinity content. DVR and live TV all work fine on set-top box, computer browser, and mobile (iPad) app. And the Roku app itself was working before the last update (12/13).

New Poster

Same issue - please respond. Same troubleshooting steps taken. Roku model 3921RW - software version 9.0 build 4083-91 — no error message, just back to online guide. Can navigate through all screens just unable to play show just goes back to guide as it tries to play.
Expert

@Frustrated992 wrote:
Same issue - please respond. Same troubleshooting steps taken. Roku model 3921RW - software version 9.0 build 4083-91 — no error message, just back to online guide. Can navigate through all screens just unable to play show just goes back to guide as it tries to play.

per https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/XFINITY-Stream-on-Roku/td-p/2834869 that model is not currently supported. uninstall the app, unplug the Roku from all connections for 3+ minutes then plug back in and reinstall. If that does not fix it, try a different model Roku device.

New Poster

I logged out and that solved my issue.