Community Forum

Xfinity Stream App On Samsung No Longer Available??

Frequent Visitor

Xfinity Stream App On Samsung No Longer Available??

I contacted Xfinity TWICE to confirm the Samsung TVs and firmware levels that were compatible with the Xfinity Stream Beat App for Samsung TVs. After confirming TWICE that the Samsung MU6300 with minimum Software level 1210.8 is applicable, I laid down a total of just below $1k for the tv and associated gear.

The app was not on available on the television. Samsung support guided me to samsung.com/us/appstore where the Xfinity Stream app beta is shown, but if you click on "compatibility" it says, "NO DEVICES ARE COMPATIBLE".  Zero devices.

Two more calls into Xfinity support and they as of yet cant find out what's going on with their own product.  The app info page and directions with compatibility chart is STILL on the Xfinity website.

Why doesn't Xfinity know what Xfinity is doing? Why does the app show on Samsung.com but available for no one? Why is the Xfinity Stream Beta app webpage still up on Xfinity.com if it has in fact been removed from use?

Expert

Re: Xfinity Stream App On Samsung No Longer Available??

@Raid wrote:

I contacted Xfinity TWICE to confirm the Samsung TVs and firmware levels that were compatible with the Xfinity Stream Beat App for Samsung TVs. After confirming TWICE that the Samsung MU6300 with minimum Software level 1210.8 is applicable, I laid down a total of just below $1k for the tv and associated gear.

The app was not on available on the television. Samsung support guided me to samsung.com/us/appstore where the Xfinity Stream app beta is shown, but if you click on "compatibility" it says, "NO DEVICES ARE COMPATIBLE".  Zero devices.

Two more calls into Xfinity support and they as of yet cant find out what's going on with their own product.  The app info page and directions with compatibility chart is STILL on the Xfinity website.

Why doesn't Xfinity know what Xfinity is doing? Why does the app show on Samsung.com but available for no one? Why is the Xfinity Stream Beta app webpage still up on Xfinity.com if it has in fact been removed from use? 

Samsung may be able to advise the models that are currently compatible. In a recent news article a Comcast employee announced that the goal is to allow many more TVs and devices to support the Xfinity TV app. https://www.fastcompany.com/90205212/comcast-is-totally-ok-with-you-not-having-an-xfinity-set-top-bo... - from the article "By the end of 2018, roughly two-thirds of the smart TVs on the market will be able to stream TV from Comcast natively, without forcing you to futz with multiple inputs and multiple remotes to manage your TV, cable box, and streaming device.". no brands are mentioned but sounds like Comcast is moving quickly on this.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the input but to reiterate, according to Samsung customer service AND Samsung support, the Xfinity Stream app is currently not compatible with ANY samsung smart TV.  The ability to access it by any Samsung television has been disabled.

For some reason I thought maybe Xfinity would be in charge of the Xfinity Stream app, its development and its status?  Xfinity has excalated and has yet to provide any information whatsoever on the app, its wherabouts and its future. Currently, the Xfinity website still promotes the webpage regarding the app on samsung televisions, the applicable models and firmware levels and how to install it.

I still think Xfinity has the best system available but they sure do fumble the ball at times. This one might end up costing me a grand. 

Expert

@Raid wrote:

Thanks for the input but to reiterate, according to Samsung customer service AND Samsung support, the Xfinity Stream app is currently not compatible with ANY samsung smart TV.  The ability to access it by any Samsung television has been disabled.

For some reason I thought maybe Xfinity would be in charge of the Xfinity Stream app, its development and its status?  Xfinity has excalated and has yet to provide any information whatsoever on the app, its wherabouts and its future. Currently, the Xfinity website still promotes the webpage regarding the app on samsung televisions, the applicable models and firmware levels and how to install it.

I still think Xfinity has the best system available but they sure do fumble the ball at times. This one might end up costing me a grand. 

I don't have a Samsung TV. From what I remember being discussed on the forum was that Xfinity provided a 'sampler' app that allowed some limited on-demand programming. as you can see in the article just above your last one, Comcast seems to be on a track to give wide access to the stream app in the next year.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I have used the Xfinity stream app beta on roku. It gives everything that my set top box gives except for on-demand I believe, including access to my favorites, live TV and my recordings.  It is the same app that was available on Samsung until recently.  I guess I will have to go spend $60 more on top of my grand to get it to work. I just wish someone at Xfinity Customer Service knew what Xfinity Development and Marketing were doing. Silo management can be problematic.

Oh, and maybe take it off the Xfinity website if it is not available.

Side note: Received 2 Comcast automated calls yesterday that asked if I was available to discuss my ticket. When I said "yes" it put me in the phone automated place I would be in if I would have called them directly, lol! After going through the menu and waiting for a techs, they asked me why I was calling, and then informed me that there wasn't any new info on the ticket. Funny stuff, I'll keep you posted.

Tags (1)
Expert

@Raid wrote:

I have used the Xfinity stream app beta on roku. It gives everything that my set top box gives except for on-demand I believe, including access to my favorites, live TV and my recordings.  It is the same app that was available on Samsung until recently.  I guess I will have to go spend $60 more on top of my grand to get it to work. I just wish someone at Xfinity Customer Service knew what Xfinity Development and Marketing were doing. Silo management can be problematic.

Oh, and maybe take it off the Xfinity website if it is not available.

Side note: Received 2 Comcast automated calls yesterday that asked if I was available to discuss my ticket. When I said "yes" it put me in the phone automated place I would be in if I would have called them directly, lol! After going through the menu and waiting for a techs, they asked me why I was calling, and then informed me that there wasn't any new info on the ticket. Funny stuff, I'll keep you posted.

on-demand works on the Roku.

Frequent Visitor

Update 8/9/2018: Received a call from the tech I talked to 7/31 (about 5 techs ago) who said he received a response to his escalated inquires. The response was that they confirm it is not available.

Fantastic. 9 days to get a, "Yup, you're right."

He did state that they are working on getting it off their website so that's progress I guess.

Frequent Visitor

UPDATE 8/17/18:

Received a reply from comcast that stated the app was now updated and available again for samsung smart TVs. Comcast even updated the webpage to include the 2018 models it works on. Hurray!

Except that...it is still not available. Even after working with Samsung who ASSURED me the new firmware would have it available if I just downloaded it...even after buying a new flash drive to update the firmware (because I dont have a drive I can wipe out)...even after updating and verifying the new firmware version...

It's still not availabe for loading on my compatible Samsung television. What a nightmare. Back on the phone tomorrow.

Expert

@Raid wrote:

the updates are coming by end of the year per this article (along with other devices). https://www.fastcompany.com/90205212/comcast-is-totally-ok-with-you-not-having-an-xfinity-set-top-bo...

New Poster

Just signed up for x1 yesterday and xfjnity stream beta app works on my 2017 Samsung tv
New Poster

which tv model?

Frequent Visitor

MU6300

Frequent Visitor

UPDATE 1/15/19:

Just upgraded firmware to rev 1262,  dated 1/9/19 on the Samsung website. Still no Xfinity App.

Whatta crock.

Expert

@Raid wrote:

UPDATE 1/15/19:

Just upgraded firmware to rev 1262,  dated 1/9/19 on the Samsung website. Still no Xfinity App.

Whatta crock.

there is a whole separate thread about Samsung TVs at https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Xfinity-Stream-TV-app-on-Samsung-Smart-TVs/td-p/3138207 and you can check there if your model is valid for the stream app at this time.

closing this thread.