Community Forum

Xfinity Stream App - Amazon Fire TV

Expert

Re: Xfinity Stream App - Amazon Fire TV

@dhamster wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@dhamster wrote:

@ComcastKenF wrote:

aopisa, sorry to hear that. We are working to expand our app presence on more devices so we may have an option for Fire TV in the future. 

You say that you are working to "..expand our app presence on more devices". I found it really ironic that i recently received emails that the app. will no longer work on my Tivo Bolts starting June 25!!!!!!!!

Comcast says that it is because the platform is no longer upgradeable and could possibly lead to security issues yet Cox doesn't have a problem providing the VOD app. to their Tivo customers. But, then again, Cox doesn't have an adversarial relationship with Tivo.

In the end Comcast customers suffer and lose a valuable service that was included when their service agreements were signed.

I will be taking a very close look at my options moving forward. Verizon, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc. all suddenly have become more attractive. I have been a Comcast customer since the the mid 1980s. It has been a roller coaster of a ride and I thought they had turned the corner in recent years but I guess I was wrong.

you may have noticed that is a joint letter from Tivo and Comcast. the hardware used by the TiVo platform can not be updated to enable access to the on-demand system. it was not a decision to remove on-demand. you can get your on-demand using the stream app or streaming website or even a Roku device.

So are you telling me that even the newest Tivo Bolt platform are incapble of having their software and/or firmware upgraded to support Comcast's on-demand system? How did Cox perform this miracle? How does a lowly Roku Express achieve such sorcery?

Please provide more details on what the actual problem/limitation is.

the tivo/comcast announcement said the tivo equipment could not be updated to meet the standard (guesing it is a security thing).

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

dhamster, The platform that connects TiVo and Xfinity devices uses out-of-date technology that can’t be upgraded or updated, making it susceptible to security breaches; therefore, both TiVo and Xfinity decided to decommission the feature.
No other aspect of your TiVo experience will be affected by this change (e.g., you will still be able to access live programming and DVR content).

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

@ComcastKenF wrote:

dhamster, The platform that connects TiVo and Xfinity devices uses out-of-date technology that can’t be upgraded or updated, making it susceptible to security breaches; therefore, both TiVo and Xfinity decided to decommission the feature.
No other aspect of your TiVo experience will be affected by this change (e.g., you will still be able to access live programming and DVR content).

It sounds like you are describing some sort of clent/server technologies. My problem with the reasons given is that those technologies don't become obsolete overnight. If the current platform can't be upgraded or updated relace it with up-to-date technology. I have worked in Air Traffic Control Automation Modernization for over 30 years. If we simply decommisioned a system because it was out-of-date without providing a viable alternative we would have been out of a job and the flying public would be grounded. Telling us to go out and buy a Roku is like the FAA telling the public to catch a taxi or Uber. It is an alternative form of transportation but is extremely poor customer service.

Official Employee

dhamster, I understand where you're coming from and appreciate your feedback! While I agree that the delivery method for content is not the same, we do have other alternatives for folks who want to remain using their own equipment. 

Ken

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

@ComcastKenF wrote:

dhamster, I understand where you're coming from and appreciate your feedback! While I agree that the delivery method for content is not the same, we do have other alternatives for folks who want to remain using their own equipment. 

Ken

Ken, thanks for your response. On a related note, I attempted to utilize my Ipad and Iphone to view xfinity VOD on my TV via Apple TV. The VOD app. loads fine on the Iphone and Ipads but quits when I attempt to utilize the Apple TV. So we are only able to view VOD on 6in or 9.7in screens instead of 50 and 60in screens.

I read in another forum that it is due to some obscure agreement that Comcast has with providers. 

Official Employee

Yeah that's right and I'm bummed by it too. 

I have an LG projector where I can cast Netflix from my phone to the projector and watch Netflix on the big screen anywhere. It's pretty awesome. Unfortunately, we aren't able to cast from one device to another via the app due to a licensing agreement with the networks. Smiley Sad

It's one of the reasons I got a Roku stick. 

Ken

New Poster

Again, it's great that you're supporting the Fire Phone, a device canceled in 2015. It's 2019, and I'm looking to watch content on my Fire TV or Cube. Devices made at the present. If you are not going to support modern hardware, I'm going to need to find a provider that does.
Expert

@Kingfox wrote:
Again, it's great that you're supporting the Fire Phone, a device canceled in 2015. It's 2019, and I'm looking to watch content on my Fire TV or Cube. Devices made at the present. If you are not going to support modern hardware, I'm going to need to find a provider that does.

the very inexpensive roku devices work on it currently at no charge.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I ditched Roku for the Fire Stick, I guess I can ditch Comcast too if necessary.

New Poster

Get a roku for $39.99 it works fine on that. I’ve got both devices and both are different enough to own both and use different hdmi inputs. Why not? I get Xfinity stream free as a premium Comcast customer with mobile phone and internet services.
Contributor

Sure I can buy it now and use the Beta software. But how much will it cost me when it is no longer beta. It should be free. I pay over $200/month for Cable/Internet/Phone to Xfinity now.

Official Employee

rdbauer111, The Stream App is currently free. Take advantage of it! https://www.xfinity.com/get-stream?pc=1

Frequent Visitor

Yes it's free yes you can get it now but it doesn't work on the firestick
Official Employee

Yes it's free yes you can get it now but it doesn't work on the firestick

pmattia, yes that is true. Right now, for Amazon, we support: 

• Kindle Fire HD (2013)
  • Kindle Fire HDX WAN (2013)
  • Kindle Fire HDX (2013)
  • Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 WAN (2013)
  • Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 (2013)
  • Fire HD 6 (2014)
  • Fire HD 7 (2014)
  • Fire HDX 8.9 WAN (2014)
  • Fire HDX 8.9 (2014)
  • Fire HD 10 (2015)
  • Fire HD 8 (2015)
  • Fire (2015)
  • Fire HD 8 (2016)
  • Fire Phone

Frequent Visitor

Right which is all worthless everyone wants it on the fire stick or the fire TV no one watches TV on your Kindle anymore
New Poster

I have to say thg Comcast has been fat and large a good company to me. Are they expensive? Yes but when the choice is Comcast or Satellite, or DSL it is clear you either pay for better or get less. If you want to make up for the expense of Comcast internet than get yourself a Xfinity Mobil phone. My phone bill has been $14/mo after taxes the past year with exception this month it was $24 because I binge watched showtime. The Xfinity stream app is free on the phone. Honestly I don’t usually use my iPhone to watch tv. Recently the stream app stopped working on Roku. I suspect because I mentioned it here.., oh well my mistake. Comcast is like any other company so don’t expect anything better. Get yourself philo or similar for your home entertainement and cut the cable costs, up the internet speed, and don’t look back. I like you Comcast but I won’t ever use cable again. I probably won’t ever pay for your stream services either when the competition crushes you. That said your internet connection and speed with cell service is all I need. Unless you throttle that down to unusable speeds that’s the only way I and others I know would ever consider leaving.
Expert

@Uguessedit2 wrote:
I have to say thg Comcast has been fat and large a good company to me. Are they expensive? Yes but when the choice is Comcast or Satellite, or DSL it is clear you either pay for better or get less. If you want to make up for the expense of Comcast internet than get yourself a Xfinity Mobil phone. My phone bill has been $14/mo after taxes the past year with exception this month it was $24 because I binge watched showtime. The Xfinity stream app is free on the phone. Honestly I don’t usually use my iPhone to watch tv. Recently the stream app stopped working on Roku. I suspect because I mentioned it here.., oh well my mistake. Comcast is like any other company so don’t expect anything better. Get yourself philo or similar for your home entertainement and cut the cable costs, up the internet speed, and don’t look back. I like you Comcast but I won’t ever use cable again. I probably won’t ever pay for your stream services either when the competition crushes you. That said your internet connection and speed with cell service is all I need. Unless you throttle that down to unusable speeds that’s the only way I and others I know would ever consider leaving.

the roku only requires that you are on your own home xfinity wifi/hard wired. not sure what issue you are having with your roku? (I have 3 running).

New Poster

I have a fire stick and hand to download the xfinity app, I did it step by step and now its telling me it's not compatible . Is there a link to go to ? The xfinity app works great on my Roku
Expert

@03joe wrote:
I have a fire stick and hand to download the xfinity app, I did it step by step and now its telling me it's not compatible . Is there a link to go to ? The xfinity app works great on my Roku

fire stick/cube are not compatible so far.

Frequent Visitor

Why is the Xfinity app Not compatiple with Five tv/stick, Samsung Tvs??
When will it be compatible??
New Poster

You aren’t going to get a definitive answer. 

@pmattia wrote:

Expert

@pmattia wrote:

fire sticks appear to not have a compatible security system. Some Samsung TVs have the stream app already, check the samsung appstore every week or so. there will be no information on the forum as samsung updates.

Frequent Visitor

So, you are telling everyone that is Amazon and Samsung s problem, Not a Comcast Xfinity problem?? Thats terrible. I dont believe that to be true.
Security system and Operating systems are not written For Apps, Apps are written for Ooerating Systems and Security Systems.
Expert

@pmattia wrote:
So, you are telling everyone that is Amazon and Samsung s problem, Not a Comcast Xfinity problem?? Thats terrible. I dont believe that to be true.
Security system and Operating systems are not written For Apps, Apps are written for Ooerating Systems and Security Systems.

some older roku's also cannot use the app. 

New Poster

Wow. This thread just convinced me it's time to leave Comcast. Thanks, I guess. 

Somehow literally every other streaming provider has found a way to do this. Netflix, Twitch, Hulu, Sling, Amazon, HBO, and more, can all make security work. And on some pretty low-powered devices, I might add.

But the cable monopoly of the USA, one of the biggest companies in this nation with financial resources that put small nations to shame, can't figure it out? Uh huh. Sure. Security issue. Totally believe that.

Telling me to get a Roku instead is actually telling me it's time to switch to CenturyLink with their home fiber, or at least ditch my TV bundle and just pay Sling for what I need. I don't care that it's 30 dollars, or 40 dollars for a roku. I wouldn't care if it's free. I don't want a Roku. If I wanted a Roku, I would have bought a Roku. I bought a Fire TV Stick. I want to use my 200/mo+ service on this stick. Stop patronizing us and quoting security or whatever.

You need to make it clear that fire tv sticks will never, ever be supported with xfinity because it competes with their own hardware. there are no technology issues. there are no security issues. there are no issues around demand. if they supported this, people wouldn't need their stupid set-top boxes anymore, and they can't have that. so until that changes, you need to tell people stop expecting any xfinity streaming on fire tv sticks.