Community Forum

Xfinity Beta on Roku very slow to respond to button presses

Regular Visitor

Xfinity Beta on Roku very slow to respond to button presses

I have 3 Roku Streaming sticks, that were working fine all doing the same thing suddnely.  The app opens fine, but once you select Live TV (or recordings, etc.), the guide loads, but moving the cursor around becomes painfully slow, to the point it is unusable.  I have timed it, and pressing say "down" on the remote there is a 5-9 second lag before it moves.  All of these were fine last weekend, and no new firmware updates were applied since then.

I have...

Deleted the app, rebooted the sticks, reinstalled the apps, signed out/signed in on the apps... and the problem is still there on all 3 of them. Anyone have any other suggestions on how to fix this?

Expert

Re: Xfinity Beta on Roku very slow to respond to button presses

@pauldmcneil wrote:

I have 3 Roku Streaming sticks, that were working fine all doing the same thing suddnely.  The app opens fine, but once you select Live TV (or recordings, etc.), the guide loads, but moving the cursor around becomes painfully slow, to the point it is unusable.  I have timed it, and pressing say "down" on the remote there is a 5-9 second lag before it moves.  All of these were fine last weekend, and no new firmware updates were applied since then.

I have...

Deleted the app, rebooted the sticks, reinstalled the apps, signed out/signed in on the apps... and the problem is still there on all 3 of them. Anyone have any other suggestions on how to fix this?

I can verify the same experience (the browse with all the graphics works fast in the normal way). I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread from a Comcast Official Employee.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Frequent Visitor

I have been having the same problem for the fast few days. He channel guide is unusable in this condition. Please expedite a solution.

New Poster

Same situation here. About 10 second delay from pressing the buttons to the cursor moving for LIVE channels. Switching between the SAVED dvr shows seems to be ok though. Just noticed this lag and slow response this past week. Before then, it was working just fine.
Frequent Visitor

Same issue, I have tried rebooting and hard reset of my Roku devices.

All other Roku channels work fine except Xfinity.

Official Employee

Hey all, 

Thank for posting here and troubleshooting. I'll reach out to the app team to see if there is a fix. 

pauldmcneil, Please send me a private message with your full name and phone number tied to your residential services for help. Just click my name and then click private message me.

Regular Visitor

Sent the info, and really (glad?), I’m not the only having this issue suddenly!

Expert

all functions in 'live' are even slower today (Sunday). My favorites guide didn't fill after 5 minutes when I gave up. alll channels never filled in yesterday but favorites did after 20 seconds or so. all on demand is fast and zippy even with all the graphics.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Frequent Visitor

Same issues for me, doesn’t load or takes a few minutes.

Any updates on a fix?
Expert

@Dascsh wrote:
Same issues for me, doesn’t load or takes a few minutes.

Any updates on a fix?

no updates 

Frequent Visitor

It has now been over a week with this problem and no change. Can someone get us a status on a fix?

New Poster

Same issue here been like this for weeks considering switching to another live tv streaming service if this doesn’t improve.
Expert

@Hagen186 wrote:
Same issue here been like this for weeks considering switching to another live tv streaming service if this doesn’t improve.

engineers are aware of the problem and future version will fix the issue.

Regular Visitor

How far out in the future do you anticipate?

As it stands now, it’s unusable for live tv viewing, forcing myself, and probably others to seek other means for tv viewing.

Expert

@pauldmcneil wrote:

How far out in the future do you anticipate?

As it stands now, it’s unusable for live tv viewing, forcing myself, and probably others to seek other means for tv viewing.

nothing announced. check it daily would be my advice.

Frequent Visitor

I certainly hope that it is a matter of a few days, not weeks, as it is currently unusable as another poster indicated.
Frequent Visitor

Same issue for me.

I have found that once I eventually get a station to load I can access the mini-guide by pushing right on the controller and can at least get to other stations.

Will my bill be adjusted since I can’t watch TV as I pay for on most of my TVs?

Expert

@Dascsh wrote:

Same issue for me.

I have found that once I eventually get a station to load I can access the mini-guide by pushing right on the controller and can at least get to other stations.

Will my bill be adjusted since I can’t watch TV as I pay for on most of my TVs?

hi. first, it is a free beta, and beta software will have bugs. the beta channel app is not broken it is just slow on the menu.

Frequent Visitor

Add me to the list of people who have this issue.  It is true that it is beta, but it has been beta quite a while now and does not seem to be moving in the right direction.  Recorded shows, for example, didn't work on my Sharp TV when we first started using the App and they still don't work.  Is this really something Comcast is serious about?

New Poster

And idea when this new version will be released?

Expert

@Dminch wrote:

And idea when this new version will be released?

Comcast has not yet given any date. I have not been able to determine if it is an app issue or a 'server' issue (where server not responding delays the app navigation).

Regular Visitor

Why is this marked solved, just because Comcast is admitting something’s wrong with their App?

The problem still exists, an update, or a timeline for a fix hasn’t been posted, and I’m still paying an enormous fee for service, which has been crippled on half of my tv’s trying to save the last few $$ Comcast wants to charge for each location I’d like to be able to watch at!

I understand a business needs to make money, but treating its current client base like hostages is not the way to do that, every other tv provider seems to have an app that works on all platforms, why can’t comcast?

I understand it’s beta, BUT, it worked, then it didn’t, no new features added, it can’t be that hard to roll out the last beta, or figure out what was changed...

Expert

@pauldmcneil wrote:

Why is this marked solved, just because Comcast is admitting something’s wrong with their App?

The problem still exists, an update, or a timeline for a fix hasn’t been posted, and I’m still paying an enormous fee for service, which has been crippled on half of my tv’s trying to save the last few $$ Comcast wants to charge for each location I’d like to be able to watch at!

I understand a business needs to make money, but treating its current client base like hostages is not the way to do that, every other tv provider seems to have an app that works on all platforms, why can’t comcast?

I understand it’s beta, BUT, it worked, then it didn’t, no new features added, it can’t be that hard to roll out the last beta, or figure out what was changed...

the Roku delayed issues have been resolved and there is a lot of 'new' to the beta stream roku channel. the channel is in a free public beta and use of beta programs is not agreeable to some people. The frequent changes and sometimes 'breaking' by updates can be frustrating but remember it is a beta program. The menu choices now should be working very quickly. new * (star) button direct channel access while viewing all channels, new font for guides very clear and mini guide while playing (with same star * feature). only thing i've not been able to find again is the info that you could bring up while playing a program.

Regular Visitor

Has this fix been delivered yet? Because I am still having this issue (slow guide navigation),. I even had a technician out on July 9th and showed it to him.
Regular Visitor

"Stream Beta" app on Roku has Frustratingly Slow Navigation

My Roku app "Stream Beta" has frustrating slow navigation. When trying to use the Live TV guide it takes 2-3 seconds for the page to refresh when using the arrows to get new content. Also, there is a delay when launching recordings or TV channels. On my computer (at home) and on my phone, the same screens work lightning fast. But because I can't program my recordings with those (as of mid-June), I have to use the guide (on the Roku app) and it's almost impossible. I have pretty much stopped using it and started using Hulu Live for my recordings instead. Is there any chance this will be improved? Otherwise, I may have to cancel my Instant TV service.

Expert

@Goody50000 wrote:
Has this fix been delivered yet? Because I am still having this issue (slow guide navigation),. I even had a technician out on July 9th and showed it to him.

yes, back in june 2018. from the main roku menu remove the xfinity channel then readd it. working now?

New Poster

Mine have been working fine since the fix.

Regular Visitor

It looks like the last update was July 11th. Which did improve the speed a little, but it's still pretty slow. It still takes 2-3 seconds to load any guide data that isn't being shown. Also, we are still having some jerky recording playback (though at least it's playing now). If this was happening on other applications or even on the phone version of the Stream App, I would assume it's my network or the Roku. But Hulu and Netflix both run fine on the Roku. So it has to be the app. And yes I did reinstall it last night.

Frequent Visitor

After the fix was installed a few weeks ago, everything seemed to work properly, with no noticeable delays. However, in the last few days, getting to the channel guide can take extremely long and in some cases requires exiting the App and starting from scratch. Once the guide finally loads, clicking through the channels is fine. Another new problem is that when trying to change channels, either by using the "*", or clicking back to the guide, I frequently get bumped out of the App entirely or get a blank gray screen that requires exiting the App to fix. It looks like the latest update may have created some new problems. Is anyone else having these issues?