Community Forum

XFINITY stream app won't play downloaded DVR or other downloaded shows

New Poster

XFINITY stream app won't play downloaded DVR or other downloaded shows

Out of nowhere, a week ago, XFINITY stream will not play videos I downloaded from my DVR or downloaded from showtime. The videos seemed to download as normal but will not play. I'm using an iPad and it has worked great for years.

New Poster

Re: XFINITY stream app won't play downloaded DVR or other downloaded shows

Same thing is happening to me. I have the XFINITY stream app on my Android device and my iOS device. At first I was having trouble with just watching the DVR recordings so I decided to download them instead and that wouldn't work either.  Now, if I try to watch the DVR recording, it'll prompt me to watch "OnDemand" instead and will play just fine. The WHOLE point of DVR'ing the recordings is so I won't have to sit through the commercials. It's like they are forcing me to do so. I've been using this app for about 4 years now and it used to be GREAT! I'm not sure what is happening, but it has become absolutely useless.

Expert

@ShamSays wrote:

Same thing is happening to me. I have the XFINITY stream app on my Android device and my iOS device. At first I was having trouble with just watching the DVR recordings so I decided to download them instead and that wouldn't work either.  Now, if I try to watch the DVR recording, it'll prompt me to watch "OnDemand" instead and will play just fine. The WHOLE point of DVR'ing the recordings is so I won't have to sit through the commercials. It's like they are forcing me to do so. I've been using this app for about 4 years now and it used to be GREAT! I'm not sure what is happening, but it has become absolutely useless.

if the recorded show has errors and won't stream downloading it will not fix the errors and it won't play. you didn't say how old the recording is but recordings made before around mid June 2017 won't play with the current Stream app. You should be able to watch the home DVR copy of the program without problem.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

me too. will not play dvr or stream. On demand works. on several devices. it says something has gone wrong. On laptop also. lease fix

On edit: works now as of this morning (8/24/18) for me. ty

New Poster

I have experienced similar issues with playing downloaded content recently.   I can watch contentstreamed from the DVR when I'm connected, just not downloaded content.  This is extremely useful when flying or any other time I don't have a good wifi signal.  I am using an older iPad.   The latest version of iOS I can install is version 9.3.5.  My wife's newer iPad is on an 11.x version of iOS and the app works on that iPad just fine. Comcast, please fix this problem on the older iPads.  It shouldn't require us to purchase new iPads to watch the content that we have had access to for years.  

Regular Visitor

Same issue. Downloaded multiple shows prior to flying and NONE of them will play on the plane or anywhere else. Spent an hour on the phone w/Comcast and they seemed to have no clue how to resolve the issue. I am also using an older Ipad (#2). Is that the issue? I’ve had no problems for the last few years until now.
New Poster

Same problem for me.  Downloaded contet will not play back on my iPad, problem started a couple of months ago and still persists. I use an older iPad 2.  

Expert

@Tvader wrote:

Same problem for me.  Downloaded contet will not play back on my iPad, problem started a couple of months ago and still persists. I use an older iPad 2.  

if you return the program will it play back via streaming?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Yes, streaming works just fine. It is just really weird. I can download just like normal and o don’t get any error when doing that. The content just won’t play when downloaded.
New Poster

It will play back if it's on demand, it will not play back as a video saved on my iPad.

Expert

@Tvader wrote:

It will play back if it's on demand, it will not play back as a video saved on my iPad.

return the download and try to stream the recording. does it then play?

New Poster

Any program dowloaded to the iPad will not play back.  I have returned programs about 20 times, I redownloaded the app about 8 times.  It;s the same error everytime I download a program on the iPad and try to replay it.  Seems to me that the app has a compatibility issue with older model iPads.  

Expert

if the file was made before June (mid?) 2017 it won't play due to format change then. if made after the key test is to play the cloud recording (can't do that if currently downloaded). once returned the cloud copy is available to stream. if the stream won't work downloading same file won't work either (glitch in the original recording or made prior to mid-June 2017).

Tags (1)
New Poster

I can stream all programs no problem including live shows, it's downloaded programs to the iPad that i can't play back. 

Regular Visitor

Same here. And every time I call Comcast I’m told someone will call me back in an hour with more info, yet no one ever does. 😡
New Poster

I reported this problem to comcast 2 weeks ago, I haven't seen any resolution from comcast.

Really dissapointed in comcast, never had these problems with the Direct TV app.

New Poster

Same exact thing as others.  Older iPad 2.  Worked great, and then just stopped.  They had me uninstall/reinstall, return the show and re-download, try mu,tip,e shows, etc.  After an hour, they needed to refer me to a "level two" tech.  I didn't have time for that and have not called back.  It is maddening that multiple people are reporting the exact same thing, but they can't provide an answer??  Really frustrating...

image.png
Expert

@FrustratedJohn wrote:

Same exact thing as others.  Older iPad 2.  Worked great, and then just stopped.  They had me uninstall/reinstall, return the show and re-download, try mu,tip,e shows, etc.  After an hour, they needed to refer me to a "level two" tech.  I didn't have time for that and have not called back.  It is maddening that multiple people are reporting the exact same thing, but they can't provide an answer??  Really frustrating...

return the recording and play as a stream. works? 

New Poster

you download programs to the iPad so you can watch them offline.  Streaming is not the problem, viewing downloaded programs is the issue.  
Expert

@Tvader wrote:

you download programs to the iPad so you can watch them offline.  Streaming is not the problem, viewing downloaded programs is the issue.  

the diagnosis steps begin with verifying the cloud recording can play via streaming. If it won't play via streaming then downloading it will not play either. 

New Poster

streaming works.  Downloaded content does not, it causes an iOS error.  

Expert

@Tvader wrote:

streaming works.  Downloaded content does not, it causes an iOS error.  

verifying... you have a recording that will play via streaming but will not play via download (same program). correct?

Regular Visitor

I have the same issue with Xfinnity stream app. In early August after downloading some shows to watch off line, I was unable to watch any of them. I called comcast and followed their suggestions of sign out, delete and reinstall app and comcast resetting my account. None of this worked and I believe Comcast hasn’t been honest that the issue is related to updates to their app which hosed older ipads with this new issue.

It would be nice if they admitted it and fixed the issue but I doubt that will happen.
Expert

@Brichris wrote:
I have the same issue with Xfinnity stream app. In early August after downloading some shows to watch off line, I was unable to watch any of them. I called comcast and followed their suggestions of sign out, delete and reinstall app and comcast resetting my account. None of this worked and I believe Comcast hasn’t been honest that the issue is related to updates to their app which hosed older ipads with this new issue.

It would be nice if they admitted it and fixed the issue but I doubt that will happen.

my ipad mini 2 works ok with downloads. is yours older than that?

New Poster

I have 3 iPad's, iPad 2, Mini 2, and Air 2, non of which will with ANY dowanloaded contect.  

New Poster

yeah confirmed that downloaded content is not working, i tried again and I am getting an iOS error.  If your iPad 2 is working I supect you were streaming or watching recorded content on your DVR which is all very diffrent than downloading a program to the iPad drive and viewing it.   

Expert

@Tvader wrote:

yeah confirmed that downloaded content is not working, i tried again and I am getting an iOS error.  If your iPad 2 is working I supect you were streaming or watching recorded content on your DVR which is all very diffrent than downloading a program to the iPad drive and viewing it.   

works..downloaded and played one of wife's recordings.

ipadmini1jpg.jpgipadmini2.jpg

New Poster

So how do we get the app to work consistently and reliably with all iPad devices?

image.png
Regular Visitor

I get the same error message when trying to watch downloaded content when offline.

24E93A4F-E755-4861-9727-C4F46DEFD230.jpeg
Expert

@Brichris wrote:
I get the same error message when trying to watch downloaded content when offline.

If you return the downloaded show, and then play from the cloud DVR, does the program play or give an error?

New Poster

Nope, only if you download the movie to the iPad and play it is when we get those iOS errors.  I am sure comcast is aware there have been plenty of compliants.

New Poster

Same here. Worked great on Android until about a month ago and I've tried everything. Recorded shows steam just fine but downloads won't play.

I actually don't watch live TV but download recording to watch while traveling.

Also, you should give video resolution options for downloads. I watch on my phone and downloading in HD creating a 2GB file for a two hour program is unnecessary.

Thanks.
New Poster

By the way these problems don't occur with other applications such as Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc.  Only the Comcast xfinity stream app causes the problem of viewing downloaded content.  I am guessing a software/code incompatibility that for some baffling reason I'll never understand why Comcast refuses to neither acknowledge nor fix.  

New Poster

I have the same problem on an older iPad. Any solution??

New Poster

Yes, returning it and streaming works.  As others have said multiple times.  The issue is trying to watch it offline after it has been dowloaded.  

New Poster

Van the answer is unfortuneately no.  Comcast has to fix it.   

New Poster

Is there any way to subscribe to something that lets us know if/when this will be fixed? Watch for App updates and see if it’s fixed on the next update? Xfinity gave me Apple’s tech support number to see if they could help (which I have not called because I don’t think the problem is on their end), but wondering if anyone else has tried calling Apple? Thanks
New Poster

Same issue, all on iPad 2 with iOS 9.3.5. There was a thread on this June and an employee @ComcastChe was saying it was nationwide but fixed. I can not figure out how to direct message to get the attention back on this.
Official Employee

Hello @Kkirshner and @BLPLYER,

The issue I spoke of back then has been resolved. The issues you are reporting now may be something new that needs to be investigated. Please send me a message by clicking on my name, "ComcastChe" then click send a message. In the body of this message please verify your first and last name, and the name of the account holder if it's different than yours. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

@ComcastChe - I have this same problem