Community Forum

XFINITY TV App and local channels

Regular Visitor

XFINITY TV App and local channels

So basically, if you stream outside of your home network, you can never get local channels? So, the ONLY way to watch local is to stay home?  Why couldn't they make it so that if you're outside and in a different city, you should be able to stream those local channels from that particular city?

 

Another thing that i don't understand it, why is it such a big deal when it comes to streaming local channels? These are NOT paid TV channels...these are FREE OTT channels and should be readily available.  It's not like people are stealing these channels without paying for them.  So i don't get it.

Expert

Re: XFINITY TV App and local channels


romanianusa wrote:

So basically, if you stream outside of your home network, you can never get local channels? So, the ONLY way to watch local is to stay home?  Why couldn't they make it so that if you're outside and in a different city, you should be able to stream those local channels from that particular city?

 

Another thing that i don't understand it, why is it such a big deal when it comes to streaming local channels? These are NOT paid TV channels...these are FREE OTT channels and should be readily available.  It's not like people are stealing these channels without paying for them.  So i don't get it.


you can record shows, then stream or download them to watch later. You can watch much of the programming by streaming on-demand. You can watch many channels under 'out of home' filter that are TVGo live streaming channels. Lots of options.


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Regular Visitor

Re: XFINITY TV App and local channels

I am not talking about recording shows.  I am talking about watching LIVE local channels.

Expert

Re: XFINITY TV App and local channels


romanianusa wrote:

I am not talking about recording shows.  I am talking about watching LIVE local channels.


The local broadcast channels generally do not allow away from home viewing of their live programming. 


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Official Employee

Re: XFINITY TV App and local channels


romanianusa wrote:

So basically, if you stream outside of your home network, you can never get local channels? So, the ONLY way to watch local is to stay home?  Why couldn't they make it so that if you're outside and in a different city, you should be able to stream those local channels from that particular city?

 

Another thing that i don't understand it, why is it such a big deal when it comes to streaming local channels? These are NOT paid TV channels...these are FREE OTT channels and should be readily available.  It's not like people are stealing these channels without paying for them.  So i don't get it.


The XFINITY TV app allows viewing of ABC and NBC outside the home in markets where ABC and NBC own the local station (major cities such as Chicago, San Francisco, Philadelphia, and etc. - there are about 10 stations for each). The problem is that there are about 120 affiliate stations for each of the networks and they are owned by dozens of separate companies. This makes it technically challenging (programming and advertising aren't uniform across the country like they often are on cable networks) and rights aren't always available.  The rights to stream content within the home are entirely separate from the rights to stream outside the home (called "TV Everywhere" rights).

 

We have 183 channels available out of home and are continually adding more where we're technically and legally able to. Customers with X1 Cloud DVR can record programs and watch the completed recordings outside the home, anywhere in the USA.

Regular Visitor

Re: XFINITY TV App and local channels

Well, with the coming of the age of the INTERNET, there is no such thing as my home.  My home is my device where ever I go, i should still be able to access the local channels within that specific device. The reason, the rule of "MY HOME" still apply is for traditional cable TV where you required a cable box to register to that specific home to access the local channels, but those boxes doesn't use internet to access the channels.

 

But when you bring cable channels to the market through the use of internet, that same rule does not apply and NEW rules should be implemented.  The NEW rules should be that as long as you have internet, you should be able to access your local channels to the specific region that you're in. No difference than a car radio receivers with the ability to receive radio stations to a specific location when your car happen to be in another city.  These are FREE channels...and should be readily available where ever you are, I don't see a rights play a part in this.

Official Employee

Re: XFINITY TV App and local channels


romanianusa wrote:

Well, with the coming of the age of the INTERNET, there is no such thing as my home.  My home is my device where ever I go, i should still be able to access the local channels within that specific device. The reason, the rule of "MY HOME" still apply is for traditional cable TV where you required a cable box to register to that specific home to access the local channels, but those boxes doesn't use internet to access the channels.

 

But when you bring cable channels to the market through the use of internet, that same rule does not apply and NEW rules should be implemented.  The NEW rules should be that as long as you have internet, you should be able to access your local channels to the specific region that you're in. No difference than a car radio receivers with the ability to receive radio stations to a specific location when your car happen to be in another city.  These are FREE channels...and should be readily available where ever you are, I don't see a rights play a part in this.


I completely understand the confusion and would LOVE to be able to watch everything, everywhere. I'm not only an employee but also a customer so also frustrated but the same restrictions as you.  Comcast simply doesn't have the rights unless explicitly negotiated with the owners of the content - typically the programmers but sometimes even they don't have the rights for some shows (e.g. The Ellen Degeneres Show). 

 

When you are watching non-TV Go content while connected to your in-home XFINITY network, you are NOT using the Internet. All those bits are delivered over the Comcast managed network (a separate channel of data coming over the same "pipe". "TV Go" content IS delivered over the Internet which is why you'll see a "Data charges may apply..." message. 

 

The in-home delivery of content is referred to as "Title 6" content which has the same rights as your set-top box and the same requirements around accessibility, emergency alerts, and other things associated with Cable TV.

 

Also, there are no "free channels" - Comcast has to pay to "retransmission" fees to OTA (over the air) broadcast networks to deliver this video content to you. 

 

Hope this helps explain the crazy world of TV. 

 

Best regards,

ComcastDan