Community Forum

XFINITY Stream on Roku

New Poster

Re: XFINITY Stream on Roku

Hello, yes we have Xfinity wifi as well as an X1 DVR on another set. We tried rebooting Roku, uninstalled and reinstalled Xfinity app, signed in under secondary e- mail. It goes to live TV then when we select a program it goes back to Roku home screen Xfinity app or we just get a black screen then goes back to Xfinity app. Very frustrating! Wife went to Hartland store to get a digital box for this set which we hope they will give us for free until they resolve this issue.
Expert

@G4gary wrote:
Hello, yes we have Xfinity wifi as well as an X1 DVR on another set. We tried rebooting Roku, uninstalled and reinstalled Xfinity app, signed in under secondary e- mail. It goes to live TV then when we select a program it goes back to Roku home screen Xfinity app or we just get a black screen then goes back to Xfinity app. Very frustrating! Wife went to Hartland store to get a digital box for this set which we hope they will give us for free until they resolve this issue.

using a smart device or desk/laptop connected to same wifi works?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Stream on roku no longer working. Starts to open app, then goes back to main roku channel screen.

* roku is on home wifi not the xfinity secondary
* removed app and reinstalled after rebooting roku, no change
* roku is able to stream other content (netflix, youtube, etc)
* roku stream beta has never streamed in HD for us, but tablets and phones do as well as other roku channels.
* we do have an X1 box on the main tv, as well as xfinity internet with the provided modem.

*** interestingly, when i opened the app on my phone this evening, I got an initial message stating that our service level had changed as the app was loading. We have changed nothing for any of our services. Thinking this may somehow be the cause of the roku issues, but not clear as to why this message would be there in the first place.
New Poster

Same problem for the last 2 days

Frequent Visitor

Funny thing is our power went out and when the router/modem rebooted it seemed to fix the problem. Not sure if a reboot of both the roku and modem at same time did the trick or what....
Contributor

What oroblem? Try deleting the app and reinstalling. Make sure you are on your home network. If all else fails, all tech support and have it escalated to supervisor.
New Poster

Having the same problem in the last 4-5 days after using the channel with no issues for over a year. Have tried reinstalling the app and rebooting the device. All other Roku channels work with no issues. Would love a resolution to this.

Contributor

Call tech support and have them do a deep reset of your service. Might need to talk to a supervisor to get a person who understands the issue.
Expert

@timeEd32 wrote:

Having the same problem in the last 4-5 days after using the channel with no issues for over a year. Have tried reinstalling the app and rebooting the device. All other Roku channels work with no issues. Would love a resolution to this.

many pages of problems so not possible to determine your issue. please detail the problem you are having along with your model number and the roku firmware version.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Try restarting the roku and the router/gateway/modem thingy at the same time. Like I stated above, ours started working again after a power outage when both were forced to reboot at the same time.

Curious if it would work for others. Please let me know
New Poster

It is really frustrating that on the actual app there is no option for format. Rentals and movies are very small on the screen. Please give an update for the Roku Xfinity Stream app to fix this issue.?
Expert

@holly_noel wrote:
It is really frustrating that on the actual app there is no option for format. Rentals and movies are very small on the screen. Please give an update for the Roku Xfinity Stream app to fix this issue.?

are you watching HD or SD programs? SD files are letterboxed if original is HD so it will fit on an SD screen (usually 4:3 CRT). does your bill show a separate line for "HD Technology fee $10/month"?

New Poster

Re: Roku/Xfinity Stream Beta Not Working

Are you still having this issue bc I am now experiencing the same issue and error code
Expert

@tatooine_sun wrote:
Are you still having this issue bc I am now experiencing the same issue and error code

you did not quote the person you are asking the question of, so it is impossible to know your issue. Your post appears to be a guideline 'me too' violation.

New Poster

I just recently started experiencing this same issue on my two roku streaming plus after using for 1 month.  any idea how to resolve?

Contributor

Most issues can be resolved by shutting down and resetting your roku and/or router. You might also need to uninstall and reinstall the app. If all else fails, call Comcast and have them do a deep reset of your account.
New Poster

Re: App Store Replies - Xfinity Stream Mobile App Troubleshooting

I made a discovery today with the Xfinity App.  My App on my Roku Premier has been working flawlessly at home.  In recently put a 32 Gb micro sd card in it and then the xfinity App stopped working.  It was giving me the error that it only works on the home network which I was.  I removed the card and just like that the app started working again.  I guess I won’t be using a micro SD card in my roku.  

New Poster

I have the roku express and have been using the xfinity stream beta for a couple of months then yesterday I get home from work it is not working. I have reset the roku to factory settings and added the stream app again but that did not help. I spent over 5 hrs on the freaking phone with Comcast and it still not work. It get the code enter it online and it will go thru and when it switches on the roku it will take me to purchases but does not show anything in fact ot says I never purchased anything when it is a lie! I just paid $20 and another $15 to add more channels recently and it aint my roku giving me issues. GET IT FIXED TODAY!

Expert

@stevedanahey wrote:

I have the roku express and have been using the xfinity stream beta for a couple of months then yesterday I get home from work it is not working. I have reset the roku to factory settings and added the stream app again but that did not help. I spent over 5 hrs on the freaking phone with Comcast and it still not work. It get the code enter it online and it will go thru and when it switches on the roku it will take me to purchases but does not show anything in fact ot says I never purchased anything when it is a lie! I just paid $20 and another $15 to add more channels recently and it aint my roku giving me issues. GET IT FIXED TODAY!

do you have X1 set top boxes in your home? Do you have Xfinity internet service in your home? is your Roku connected to your own internet (not the xfinitywifi SSID)?

New Poster

When I try to stream on iPad I get a message that subscription does not support channel.  This happens on all channels.  Also my saved ever is missing.  Everything worked 2 days ago.  My android phone is working.

Spent 1 hr with customer svc yesterday and they could not figure out

Expert

@Gene-levine wrote:

When I try to stream on iPad I get a message that subscription does not support channel.  This happens on all channels.  Also my saved ever is missing.  Everything worked 2 days ago.  My android phone is working.

Spent 1 hr with customer svc yesterday and they could not figure out

touch the stacked papers 'menu' icon and go to bottom and sign out. sign back in. working? if not, sign out, remove app, then re-install and log back in. working?

New Poster

When I'm watching American Ninja Warrior, the episodes are two hours long, and when I start getting towards the end and I try and fast-forward through commercials, the app ask me if I want to delete the recording and the only way for me to continue watching is to press the back button. When I do this, the app won't let me delete the recording after I'm finished watching. So, the first problem that needs to be fixed, is to not ask the user to delete the recording when I'm not done watching. And the other problem that needs to be fixed is to be able to delete the recording. Also, when I am trying to fast-forward through commercials, I don't know where I'm at because there's no preview of what I'm fast-forwarding to. Oh and another thing, the app is terrible at suggesting things to watch. There are only a couple of shows that I watch, so you would think that the app would know that and would put those at the top and let me continue watching them, but it doesn't. It also doesn't have consistent results with the search. One time my wife was trying to search for a show and it didn't show up when she searched for it, but she somehow found it in the reality section of the app.
Tags (1)
Regular Visitor

Re: When will the Xfinity TV app be available on ROKU?

and how I do it so that the code appears on tv with roku
Expert

Re: When will the Xfinity TV app be available on ROKU?

@ayalaarmando538 wrote:
and how I do it so that the code appears on tv with roku

would you please ask with more background explaining what you mean? were you able to install the xfinity stream beta channel? are you speaking of the login process where you use a PC or a compatible browser on a smart device to authenticate your xfinity service subscription for the roku?

New Poster

yes any time I rent a movie, it doesn't matter if it's sd or hd, A box around it, and doesn't fill enough of the screen. As in it is smaller than an HD box around it. 

New Poster

I am having the same trouble on my roku xfinity stream beta app. What can I do to fix it?

Expert

@cutthecord64 wrote:

I am having the same trouble on my roku xfinity stream beta app. What can I do to fix it?

look at your most recent Comcast bill. is there a separate line on the bill for "HD Technology" for $10 ? if that does not appear on your bill then the free beta currnetly will not display HD cable channels in HD but only in SD. the local channels sometimes (reported as such by customers) may be in HD.

Regular Visitor

My issues started today, Xfinity Stream app worked great yesterday, then this morning, nothing works for the app on my Roku boxes.  Does not seem to think that I am on my home network anymore?

Rest Modem (a few times)

Unintalled/installed app on Roku

Unplugged Roku

Tried app on other devices (Computer and Ipad work fine)

Called customer support and was sent to several 'levels', finally told a tech needs to come to my house, Really?

Any other suggestions?

New Poster

Live tv buffers every 25 seconds, then you miss your show or game, then it stops buffering for all commercials, and buffers again. Completely disappointing. I want my money back
Frequent Visitor

Please I need assistance, I realize that this topic has been debated over and over again.  I have done my research however.  My Roku Ultra is streaming on my household WIFI system (WIFI to my Comcast Router only) the Xfinity Beta App.  It is using data towards the Data Cap like mad.  This is reflecting in the Xfinity xFi mobile app, it is digesting the data at a rate of 9% (now 11%) of the household data usage.  

All of the information that I can find states that as long as it is streaming on the household router system, not the open system (which I have turned off anyway), the stream does NOT count against the data cap.  But it is, from what I can see.   I am only, please understand only, streaming the Xfinity Beta App, and household channels too.

Talking to Xfinity CSR's is about useless, cause they all say that it does count, but the information that I have, catagorically states that it does not.  Please I need help on this one.  Thank you in advance.

Contributor

Does the same on my internet. I also called and was told it does not count, yet they took one of my overages. I turned off my modem, and the Comcast set top box used some of my internet also. This is bs if they are limiting internet usage.
Expert

countable vs non-countable traffic is determined by the upstream Comcast device that delivers data to your home gateway/modem. so though the bytes 'are' counted by your xfi router the bytes used to stream linear channels etc on the stream beta device are not counted at all for billing purposes (zero rated). 

Contributor

I di not have xfi, I only have a regular set top box. I do not even use it. I unpluged my router and Comcast still showed I uzed internet,. When I called, they said ALL Comcast boxes, regardless of HD, SD, or their newest ones use internet. They aimed it did not count, but on the My Account app, it showed usage, even when my router was unplugged and disconnected. Also, when using ONLY the Xfinity Roku app, and nothing else conected, it showed internet usage, and a lot of it. It put me over the 1Gb threshold, and it was the only internet usage according to my router's usage meter. So, while Comcast claims they do not count using the Roku app, they really do count it. Sounds like more false advertising to me, which Comcast is good at doing.
Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

countable vs non-countable traffic is determined by the upstream Comcast device that delivers data to your home gateway/modem. so though the bytes 'are' counted by your xfi router the bytes used to stream linear channels etc on the stream beta device are not counted at all for billing purposes (zero rated). 

OK so I am to conclude that Comcast/Xfinity is able to discern the specific app, i.e. the Xfinity Beta Streaming app in my data usage, it is that granular?  In other words, is the system that detailed, that it can determine separate streaming content from other streaming content?  Having said that, it will then discount the Xfinity Beta Streaming app's usage and not count that streamed data towards my data cap?  Sigh, so how do I know that they are "doing the right thing" as it were. 

Sorry, but after all of the interface with Comcast CSR's in data and TV technical support that have no earthly idea just what this beta streaming app does or does not do, charges for or does not charge for, in the compilation of data usage, I am a tad bit "professionally skeptical" at best.  Now for the 64 dollar question, is it possible to stream off of my personal router that is a wired connection to the Comcast Modem and still not have the data count in my usage.  I do note that when I go into the streaming app and have the Roku connected to my personal Router that it picks up that I am streaming the Xfinity Beta Streaming app on a Roku, so it does have some discernment of the streaming operation whether the Roku is associated with the Comcast Router/WIFI or my personal Router WIFI running off of the Comcast Router?  I am still skeptical, but will address this issue with Comcast when they call today....  Sigh.... sorry to be such a doubting Thomas, but no one at Comcast has even gone into the information that you posted above to date, and, I have spoken to them since last week over 8 hours regarding this issue.

Thank you so very much for your response and in advance for your future responses.

Expert

@Roxxxxie wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

OK so I am to conclude that Comcast/Xfinity is able to discern the specific app, i.e. the Xfinity Beta Streaming app in my data usage, it is that granular?  In other words, is the system that detailed, that it can determine separate streaming content from other streaming content?  Having said that, it will then discount the Xfinity Beta Streaming app's usage and not count that streamed data towards my data cap?  Sigh, so how do I know that they are "doing the right thing" as it were. 

Sorry, but after all of the interface with Comcast CSR's in data and TV technical support that have no earthly idea just what this beta streaming app does or does not do, charges for or does not charge for, in the compilation of data usage, I am a tad bit "professionally skeptical" at best.  Now for the 64 dollar question, is it possible to stream off of my personal router that is a wired connection to the Comcast Modem and still not have the data count in my usage.  I do note that when I go into the streaming app and have the Roku connected to my personal Router that it picks up that I am streaming the Xfinity Beta Streaming app on a Roku, so it does have some discernment of the streaming operation whether the Roku is associated with the Comcast Router/WIFI or my personal Router WIFI running off of the Comcast Router?  I am still skeptical, but will address this issue with Comcast when they call today....  Sigh.... sorry to be such a doubting Thomas, but no one at Comcast has even gone into the information that you posted above to date, and, I have spoken to them since last week over 8 hours regarding this issue.

Thank you so very much for your response and in advance for your future responses.

the X1 hub set top boxes (XG2, Xg1) have DOCSIS modems that handle the data traffic by the set top boxes. The Xi5/6 use the Comcast gateway/modem and I don't know if they use that gateway modem or they use by MoCA via the gateway/modem to one of the in-home HUBs. It isn't by device, it is by routing IP. The source of the 'data' video is either on a Comcast server or it is from a server outside of Comcast's in-house server system. if inside Comcast the bytes are measured and not counted by the CMTS as billable traffic. The same CMTS counts and records ouside Comcast data both inbound and outbound. the X1 equipment (except the rng150) have apps that are marked internet and bytes used with those apps are all counted. same for games. The X1 devices use internet (except possibly the xi5/xi6) that is not routed through your home data gateway/modem.

Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

@Roxxxxie wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

the X1 hub set top boxes (XG2, Xg1) have DOCSIS modems that handle the data traffic by the set top boxes. The Xi5/6 use the Comcast gateway/modem and I don't know if they use that gateway modem or they use by MoCA via the gateway/modem to one of the in-home HUBs. It isn't by device, it is by routing IP. The source of the 'data' video is either on a Comcast server or it is from a server outside of Comcast's in-house server system. if inside Comcast the bytes are measured and not counted by the CMTS as billable traffic. The same CMTS counts and records ouside Comcast data both inbound and outbound. the X1 equipment (except the rng150) have apps that are marked internet and bytes used with those apps are all counted. same for games. The X1 devices use internet (except possibly the xi5/xi6) that is not routed through your home data gateway/modem.

Thank you very much, I am going to leave the Roku on the Comcast Modem/Router for the time being, it is using at this point 85 to 88% of the household network usage.  That means that it is gobbling about 8 to 9 GB's per day.  That is if I leave it on 24/7, which is what the Comcast supervisor wanted me to do while they check some issues out.  I am expecting a call from him again today with his findings and will relay that to the board when I receive his findings.  Thank you again for your time and information it is much appreciated.  Additionally I do wish that the Comcast folks that I spoke with had as much knowledge and information as you do, they really need to be brought up to speed on this subject since it is very disturbing to see how much data this app uses and how it could/can potentially impact your data cap.

New Poster

On my xfinity streaming app on my iPad, on all the shows I watch they do not have episodes listed any more. There is only upcoming info and related. For years I have watched my shows that I have marked favorites by going to favorites, touching a show, scrolling down where episodes are listed (they even had episodes you already watched marked) then pick and touch the episode you want to watch and it starts. The episodes disappeared about 2 weeks ago. They are not on the app on my iphone either. How do I get them back to be able to watch my shows?  

Expert

@Roxxxxie wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Roxxxxie wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

Thank you very much, I am going to leave the Roku on the Comcast Modem/Router for the time being, it is using at this point 85 to 88% of the household network usage.  That means that it is gobbling about 8 to 9 GB's per day.  That is if I leave it on 24/7, which is what the Comcast supervisor wanted me to do while they check some issues out.  I am expecting a call from him again today with his findings and will relay that to the board when I receive his findings.  Thank you again for your time and information it is much appreciated.  Additionally I do wish that the Comcast folks that I spoke with had as much knowledge and information as you do, they really need to be brought up to speed on this subject since it is very disturbing to see how much data this app uses and how it could/can potentially impact your data cap.

when I hooked up my roku i literally left it running overnight and watched usage (it was on an HD channel). after two days never got a 'bump' in increased usage per the month to date. it proved to me then that the streaming on a numbered (linear) channel on the Roku app using the beta stream app really didn't count toward the CAP.

Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

@Roxxxxie wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Roxxxxie wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

when I hooked up my roku i literally left it running overnight and watched usage (it was on an HD channel). after two days never got a 'bump' in increased usage per the month to date. it proved to me then that the streaming on a numbered (linear) channel on the Roku app using the beta stream app really didn't count toward the CAP.

Then I have a real problem, my usage on the Roku is visibly increasing the usage per day/month, and it is visible on both the month to date in my account app and in the xfinity app.  The household is not the primary user, the Roku is, and it has demonstrated that by being hooked up by itself on the Comcast Modem directly.  So it is not working the same for me as it did for you, I have not heard from the Comcast employee yet, and I think I may not, so I will call starting them again on Monday to get to the bottom of this milieu.  Any suggestions as to which department to call that you might have would be appreciated, please not the Security Department, they all tell me every time that I speak with them that it is counted against the Cap, sigh, I am not one of their favorite folks right now in all honesty.  Any help that you can give me would be much appreciated. 

Expert

@Roxxxxie wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Roxxxxie wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Roxxxxie wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

Then I have a real problem, my usage on the Roku is visibly increasing the usage per day/month, and it is visible on both the month to date in my account app and in the xfinity app.  The household is not the primary user, the Roku is, and it has demonstrated that by being hooked up by itself on the Comcast Modem directly.  So it is not working the same for me as it did for you, I have not heard from the Comcast employee yet, and I think I may not, so I will call starting them again on Monday to get to the bottom of this milieu.  Any suggestions as to which department to call that you might have would be appreciated, please not the Security Department, they all tell me every time that I speak with them that it is counted against the Cap, sigh, I am not one of their favorite folks right now in all honesty.  Any help that you can give me would be much appreciated. 

unplug the roku from the TV and put it in a drawer for a couple of days. monitor Month to date usage on the my account app. dropped? (note that use of 'any' other apps on the roku 'do' count toward the  CAP)

Frequent Visitor

Hi. My question is how do I resolve channels only showing in SD through the roku app when:
* roku is run through our home network, not the secondary.
* I have already checked to make sure we are paying the additional $10 HD tech fee
* programs streamed on other devices on the same in house network (phone, table) are seeing programing in HD.
* have tried the HD option and the other option on the roku where it auto selects the format. (Has been on the HD setting prior to this.)

Thanks for your help.
Expert

@KazC wrote:
Hi. My question is how do I resolve channels only showing in SD through the roku app when:
* roku is run through our home network, not the secondary.
* I have already checked to make sure we are paying the additional $10 HD tech fee
* programs streamed on other devices on the same in house network (phone, table) are seeing programing in HD.
* have tried the HD option and the other option on the roku where it auto selects the format. (Has been on the HD setting prior to this.)

Thanks for your help.

if you have the line you referenced on your most recent bill (HD technology fee @ $10) and not $0 (zero) then call 800-comcast and select billing and ask the agent to do a deep background account database reset (can take up to an hour to complete). if the agent wants to open a ticket or says no such thing exists ask for a supervisor. call in daytime ET hours.

Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

@Roxxxxie wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Roxxxxie wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Roxxxxie wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

unplug the roku from the TV and put it in a drawer for a couple of days. monitor Month to date usage on the my account app. dropped? (note that use of 'any' other apps on the roku 'do' count toward the  CAP)

So, per your suggestion, I did, the data usage went back to normal levels and that was that in a nut shell.  So...off I trudged to the Xfinity Retail Store, speaking with them on the phone is not working.  James at our local store was at first skeptical, but referenced his information on the beta streaming app, my information, my usage, all pertinent data and came to the same conclusion that I have.  The beta streaming xfinity app is gobbling up data like the cookie monster. 

I have had a tech out here this morning, he went through all of the fittings/couplers on the lines, replaced the modem yet again, checked everthing that is imaginable, called out to the next tier tech support and his supervisor.  Long and short, the cable coupler at the point where the cable attaches to the modem was an old direct TV coupling (it was replaced with an Xfinity One), Modem replaced and upper level tech support stated that "anything streamed (like Xfinity beta) uses data (this was to him after he saw my research) and oh, maybe she is streaming other than the Xfinity Beta Stream, like netflix....  I am not a little peeved, I am a lot peeved by that one. 

So I have factory reset my Roku, removed all of the apps that are removable (Pandora is not removable, I signed out of it) and left only the speed test and the Xfinity Beta Stream in the device.  I have taken time and date stamped photos of the devices home page, and the Pandora app reflecting that I have signed out.  I am going to stream normally at night just the Xfinity Beta App, as I have previously and see if it still gobbles data up.  I did note that their Xfi app is now picking up the cable box in the living room, which previously it was not (suspect that replacing that Direct TV coupler was a good idea), there are also some devices that I have never seen before, so I paused them until they either drop off or become identifiable as redundant devicies that are already tied to the eero network.  I had the tech put the eero LAN line connection to the Xfinity Xi6 modem on line 2 out so that the system would not bridge automatically.  I am waiting 24 hours and if it still gobbles data, I am headed back to the retail store.... 

By the way the tech that came out today was wonderful and did see the whole picture but did not have an answer, nor did his supervisor. 

New Poster

I'm extremely disappointed with the Xfinity Roku app as half the time the video is displayed windowboxed.  For the life of me I can't figure out why the app windowboxes the video and other times it displays the channel just fine in the appropriate widescreen mode.

I recent transistioned from a TWC (Charter) region, and to be fair both TWC and Comcast have their pros and cons, but their app was lightyears from the Comcast app, nor did I have the issues I seem to experience with the Comcast app.

Regular Visitor

The app no longer loads I get this all the time. I really wanted to get away from using the xfinity box. Just affraid of issues like this. Xfinity PLEASE MAKE THIS WORK BETTER!!! .20181213_201032.jpg

New Poster

I have an LG Smart TV and can not cast. I’ve downloaded the LG cast app on both my Apple iPhone and TV no luck! Help please!
Frequent Visitor

Apparently Xfinity prevents ‘casting’,  ‘mirroring’, and all forms of displaying from a mobile device to a TV; including using a device to HDMI cable. Their mantra of Any Channel, Any Place only applies if you want to watch on a tablet or smaller.  

I tried mirroring from my iPad through my sons Apple TV on their xfinity internet with no success. After hours on the phone with Comcast technical support, they confirmed that Comcast blocks all of this.

Expert

@rdodolak1 wrote:

I'm extremely disappointed with the Xfinity Roku app as half the time the video is displayed windowboxed.  For the life of me I can't figure out why the app windowboxes the video and other times it displays the channel just fine in the appropriate widescreen mode.

I recent transistioned from a TWC (Charter) region, and to be fair both TWC and Comcast have their pros and cons, but their app was lightyears from the Comcast app, nor did I have the issues I seem to experience with the Comcast app.

note the Roku stream app is in a free beta. Do you have a line on your current bill that says precisely 'HD Technology Fee' at $10/month?

Expert

@gatoremt wrote:

The app no longer loads I get this all the time. I really wanted to get away from using the xfinity box. Just affraid of issues like this. Xfinity PLEASE MAKE THIS WORK BETTER!!! .

can't see your image (just a triangle). what do you get for an error message and error number?