Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

XFINITY Stream on Roku

Contributor

Re: Roku/Xfinity Stream Beta Not Working

The point at which Comcast starts billing to use my own devices, is the point at which I will no longer be a customer of Comcast's. I have cast my device to my Roku, without charge, as since I get HD free due to my agreement with Comcast, but can not get it on the Roku app. At some point Comcast will learn that nickle and diming customers is a poor business model. They have already lost hundreds of thousands of customers due to overcharging for poor service. With all of the streaming services available today, Comcast will need to lower prices, provide better service, and treat their long term customers better, or will soon be out of business.
Frequent Visitor

Re: Favorite Channels on Xfinity Stream on Roku

Any updates or answer to this question?  I thought one could mark Favorite Channels online somehow but I cannot find that. Trying to find it on the Roku is also not successful ...

Expert

@Rick1958 wrote:

Any updates or answer to this question?  I thought one could mark Favorite Channels online somehow but I cannot find that. Trying to find it on the Roku is also not successful ...

using the streaming website select live TV all channels and click on the * (star) on the left side of any channel to toggle on/off the favorite setting for that channel. or use the Xfinity TV remote app, settings (gear) favorites. if you use the xfinity Stream TV app, Live TV you can touch the same * (star) to the left of the channel listings. 

New Poster

Why do you have the following at the end of each of your messages?

“I am not a Comcast employee.
Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!”

Obviously you are a Comcast/Xfinity employee or contractor of Comcast/Xfinity. You seem to support and defend every wrong thing they’re doing. We really don’t care about Comcast/Xfinity’s revenue as they make billions in profits, please don’t defend them.

Considering how much they’re making their Roku app is very poorly designed and supported. They can do way better. There are hundreds of professionally supported streaming apps on Roku Soli supported by advertising that outperforms Comcast/Xfinity’s app a 1000 times over. I know it’s a beta app still no excuse.
Expert

@Unhappy-User1 wrote:
Why do you have the following at the end of each of your messages?

“I am not a Comcast employee.
Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!”

Obviously you are a Comcast/Xfinity employee or contractor of Comcast/Xfinity. You seem to support and defend every wrong thing they’re doing. We really don’t care about Comcast/Xfinity’s revenue as they make billions in profits, please don’t defend them.

Considering how much they’re making their Roku app is very poorly designed and supported. They can do way better. There are hundreds of professionally supported streaming apps on Roku Soli supported by advertising that outperforms Comcast/Xfinity’s app a 1000 times over. I know it’s a beta app still no excuse.

i'm a retiree from a major retailer enjoying life at home. the signature line is great but we don't set it, comcast does to make it clear to others that we are not employees/contractors, etc of comcast. 

As far as Roku the most recent improvements have been awesome the right mini-menu, the (star) * access to channels while in a channel guide, and the new font and menus are very clear. not sure what you would change in the channel app at this point. it is in a free beta and if you don't like using beta programs it is ok to stop using it.

Contributor

No, Comcast Roku app is not good. It is one of the worst app on Roku. I know of no other app the downgrades HD signals to SD, just to get people that have HD as part of their plan, to pay $10 extra to get HD on Roku. The Comcast app constantly crashes, causing many calls to tech services to fix the issue. Being in "beta" for well over a year now. These are just a few of the reasons I do not use the app except to see if they have fixed it (unfortunately they have not). I can not believe a company that is supposed to be a tech company, can't get it right in over a year.
New Poster

Xfinity stream beta app on roku

with this app do I have a fee and can I get xfinity cable channels?

Expert

Re: Xfinity stream beta app on roku

@clarkfl2 wrote:

with this app do I have a fee and can I get xfinity cable channels?

if you are an X1 customer and the Roku is located in the home you can get your xfinity cable channels on the roku (most models, see page one for qualifying model numbers) using the Xfinity stream TV channel on the roku. It is in public beta and is currently free to use.

Frequent Visitor

Wierd, I get HD on all my roku's. Been using this so much I'm dreading the charges that are probably coming. The past few weeks has had a horrible bug with navigation on the channel list though. Unusably slow. Has it been fixed?

steve

New Poster

Re: XFINITY Stream on Roku

Why cant I use my roku/xfinity channel outside of my house? I don't want to watch it on a tablet or laptop when I'm travelling or at my vacation home.

Further, why is comcast the only company that blocks casting/mirroring? This is absurd
New Poster

When will I be able to delete shows from my DVR area?
New Poster

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

I'm trying to use the xfinity app on my roku on a different TV bet it want let me
Frequent Visitor

I set up my "Favorite Channels" on my Roku Xfinity App and after the latest App update (Version 2.5.0) the App crashes whenever I go my "Favorite Channels" listing. I believe it was working in version 2.4.9.  This problem happens on my Roku 3 and Stick 3800. Anyone else having this problem?

New Poster

I am having the same issue on my Premier + but not on my TCL TV

Contributor

From the 1st post:

Will the XFINITY Stream Beta app use data from my XFINITY Internet Data Usage Plan?

• Live TV, XFINITY On Demand and Cloud DVR recordings will not count against your Internet data usage threshold if you are connected to your in-home XFINITY network. The XFINITY TV video service delivered through the XFINITY Stream Beta app is not an Internet service and does not touch or use the Internet. Rather, it is a Title VI cable service delivered solely over Comcast's private, managed cable network, so it will not count toward your XFINITY Internet Data Usage Plan. Usage of any other apps on Roku devices, including any TV Everywhere apps accessible with your XFINITY TV credentials, do use the Internet and will count against your XFINITY Internet Data Usage Plan.

My reading of this is that the packets stay on the Comcast network but still go through the in home  system connected to the cable modem.  I checked my router logs which shows amount of data through the cable modem and includes usage from the Xfinity Stream Beta App and it matched the data usage reported by Comcast.  My understanding is that the data usage from the Xfinity Stream App would not count in the data usage reported by Comcast.  Has the policy of not counting Xfinity app usage against the data cap changed?

Contributor

All I know is I set up notifications for data usage. I got notified that I was approaching my limit when using only the Comcast app. This has been reported by others in the past also, so I do not know if it is a change or they have always counted the usage and lied about it not counting.
New Poster

I assumed this app would be just like the android app since the android app won't "CAST" to my TV. I decided to add it when I found it on my Roku channel search. Once I found I couldn't do anything with it or view the EPIX free trial that I can get on my phone (Since it won't cast) I read all the details in the forum and discovered they designed it with a lot of unnessessary requirements forcing users to be more tightly linked to Comcast then they actually need to be. (Such as requiring either a gateway or x1 box) Isn't it amazing that no other streaming service requires this level of tie in?

Expert

@MikePHall wrote:

I assumed this app would be just like the android app since the android app won't "CAST" to my TV. I decided to add it when I found it on my Roku channel search. Once I found I couldn't do anything with it or view the EPIX free trial that I can get on my phone (Since it won't cast) I read all the details in the forum and discovered they designed it with a lot of unnessessary requirements forcing users to be more tightly linked to Comcast then they actually need to be. (Such as requiring either a gateway or x1 box) Isn't it amazing that no other streaming service requires this level of tie in?

there are two ways to use the Roku for streaming TV service. One requires that you have home set top boxes in your subscription, the other does not require home set top boxes. If you have home X1 set top box(es) then the Roku is available as a public free beta if the Roku is in the home, connected to the Xfinity home internet service. With no set top boxes, you can signup for the Instant TV program package and use the Roku along with any portable devices to watch/record programs (up to two recordings at one time, up to 20 hours of storage space available for the DVR function. Does that clear up the questions?

New Poster

Still useless since I can't view the EPIX free trial other than on my phone or PC which both are no good for watching.

Contributor

If you have a Samsung device, use smart view. It works as it does not register as casting, but you will be able to watch on your Roku that is on the same network. I know it works as I have used it.
Expert

@MikePHall wrote:

Still useless since I can't view the EPIX free trial other than on my phone or PC which both are no good for watching.

when I add the EPIX channel to the Roku, and activate i get a 6 digit code but nothing else on the screen. do you get a web url to use to activate with the code? the web page for EPIX lets me log in using Xfinity (not in my subscription) and offers the 14 day free trial. I think my Roku is eligible but can't test since the activation screen is not working correctly.

New Poster

Even if you do the EPIX trial on Roku you still need to subscribe to Xfinity TV in order to get the trial plus you are bypassing the Streaming TV App. I'm trying to make a point on how some of Comcast's decisions are plain and simply bad which will only accelerate customers leaving when 5G becomes readily available and the other better Streaming TV services.

1st) Designing the app to only work with comcast equipment or a Gateway is plain and simply ridiculous. Not all your users want Comcast to alter or modify their routing firmware and functionality which is only one reason I choose to use a modem/router combo.

2nd) Not designing it to be very similar to the phone app with the "For You" functionality is another one.

I am betting that the Instant TV service you offer requires this streaming app which if true becomes useless for me. (Plus the limit of only 2 recordings at the same time? Is Comcast serious?)

Expert

@MikePHall wrote:

Using a Roku, I went to the Epix site and registered (was on home internet). a screen came up and said auto logged in with Xfinity.  that screen changed to a menu after a few seconds and then selected activate device. the web page asked for the code on the screen of the Roku and after entry, the Epix channel on Roku was activated and I watched a older movie without issue. On my X1 I used the voice remote for Epix and the menu took me to the on demand. the linear Epix channels say 'subscribe' but the on-demand works on the free-preview days on the X1.