Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

XFINITY Stream on Roku

New Poster

Re: XFINITY Stream on Roku

I have Xfinity TV and Internet service. However, I have a Arris SB6183 modem NOT a Comcast modem. Can I still use the Xfinity app on Roku on my home network and stream/watch normally?

Contributor

wyldsmoke wrote:

I have Xfinity TV and Internet service. However, I have a Arris SB6130 modem NOT a Comcast modem. Can I still use the Xfinity app on Roku on my home network and stream/watch normally?

I have my own modem and it works well.  If it is not working for you, you should try using tv.xfinity.com to watch live tv.  If you have a problem watching "inhome" tv saying that you are not in home (I can't remember the exact message), you will need to call Comcast to get your modem properly registered.  If tv.xfinity.com works, you should ask again here for more troubleshooting options regarding the network connection between the Roku and your home network.

New Poster

I’m using my home xfinity account
New Poster

Sorry for the delay in response.  I downloaded the windows APP and it did have locals.  I then went back to me Roku and the locals appeared there.  What is that connection about?

Expert

naimakirk wrote:
I’m using my home xfinity account

I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread or via Private Message from a Comcast Official Employee.

New Poster

Re: roku app error (drm.-3)

I have had this DRM error for several days on my RokuTV and none of the steps to fix it have worked. I would like to private message you ComcastChe, but I don’t see that option when I click on your name.
Expert

LydiaDF wrote:
I have had this DRM error for several days on my RokuTV and none of the steps to fix it have worked. I would like to private message you ComcastChe, but I don’t see that option when I click on your name.

the DRM-3 is a program error exception when the hardware blocks the stream for 'violation' of the HDCP video. To fix this, the Roku device must leave the connection and then be reinitialized upon connecting back to remove that error. Using the app menu, logout of your account on the app, and uninstall the app. Unplug and disconnect the Roku from the TV or receiver for at least 30 seconds and then reconnect, (don't forget to remove power from the Roku during that 30 seconds). download and login to the app.

New Poster

I am having problems with the cloud DVR on Roku, when I play my recorded shows they skip, doesn’t matter what channel I’ve recorded. When I first started using the record function, it worked great, not so much now. Is there anything I can do or is this a problem with the BETA ?
Expert

Dc49221 wrote:
I am having problems with the cloud DVR on Roku, when I play my recorded shows they skip, doesn’t matter what channel I’ve recorded. When I first started using the record function, it worked great, not so much now. Is there anything I can do or is this a problem with the BETA ?

next time you see the problem note the length of the cloud DVR recording. is it shorter in length than you expected? does the same recording skip when using a desk/laptop or a smart device like an iOS or android phone/tablet?

Expert
Moved:

Re: Not able to stream on ROKU

Regular Visitor

Re: roku app error

12/15/2017 nothing has changed i still have error daily

songb3588 wrote:

We get (Error DRM.-3) on everything thing we try to watch, Live TV or Demand.

Expert

dawamacomb wrote:

12/15/2017 nothing has changed i still have error daily

songb3588 wrote:

We get (Error DRM.-3) on everything thing we try to watch, Live TV or Demand.

your post may have been moved to this thread. check the post right above your post and the thread.

New Poster

Re: Roku

I'm not quite sure I understand the purpose of the Roku app.  I have xfinity at home with the set top boxes, why would I need Roku in the same home?  The problem I'm having is that I have a second home where cable is not available, so I want access to my xfinity at that second home (and the salesperson originally told me I could with Roku).  But I find out Roku won't work unless I have xfinity at that location (which is not available).  I'm very dissapointed and don't understand why it can't work this way since the whole idea is to be able to get my xfinity when I'm not at home.  Why would you allow it on devices but not on my Roku/TV?  Is there a way to make it work?

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Roku

theonlybaldone wrote:

I'm not quite sure I understand the purpose of the Roku app.  I have xfinity at home with the set top boxes, why would I need Roku in the same home?  The problem I'm having is that I have a second home where cable is not available, so I want access to my xfinity at that second home (and the salesperson originally told me I could with Roku).  But I find out Roku won't work unless I have xfinity at that location (which is not available).  I'm very dissapointed and don't understand why it can't work this way since the whole idea is to be able to get my xfinity when I'm not at home.  Why would you allow it on devices but not on my Roku/TV?  Is there a way to make it work?

The roku app is to add access to other tvs in your home, not other places. To get access in your second home you could use the stream web site and a pc. You can then view on your tv by using a hdmi cable between the pc and tv or using some casting hardware such as chrome cast. You will be limited to content that is available out of home since you are off your home network.

New Poster

DRM.-3

hello,

DRM.-3 Is there anyone that can fix this issue on my new roku device. I have read the threads, but the solutions posted are not working

any help would be greatly appeciated.

thanks

blueskyyys

Expert

Re: DRM.-3

blueskyyys wrote:

hello,

DRM.-3 Is there anyone that can fix this issue on my new roku device. I have read the threads, but the solutions posted are not working

thanks

blueskyyys

the DRM-3 error is the app reporting that the hardware has rejected the HDCP handshake and the path has been closed. to fix it you have to remove the roku from all power and connections for 30 seconds or more and then reconnect.

Contributor

Re: DRM.-3

Rustyben wrote:

blueskyyys wrote:

hello,

thanks

blueskyyys

the DRM-3 error is the app reporting that the hardware has rejected the HDCP handshake and the path has been closed. to fix it you have to remove the roku from all power and connections for 30 seconds or more and then reconnect.

Unfortunately, this fix doesn't always work. I know first hand. The user may have to fully uninstall and reinstall the XFinity Stream app to get their device to properly re-autheticate and clear the DRM-3 error.

Powering off for 30 seconds does work in many cases, but for about every 1 in 5 times when you receive the DRM-3 error, you will have to uninstall and reinstall. There seems to be no way around this at the moment, unless there is some additional information I am not aware of.

New Poster

Roku Charges

I am getting mixed answers on this. It was suggested by a XFINITY phone representative that if i get a compatible Roku device I can return my box and save the $10. Is it true that there is no monthly fee to use the Roku?

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Roku Charges

bradross2610 wrote:

I am getting mixed answers on this. It was suggested by a XFINITY phone representative that if i get a compatible Roku device I can return my box and save the $10. Is it true that there is no monthly fee to use the Roku?

Currently there is no charge, don't know what xf may do in the future.

Expert

adding.. yes free during the beta testing/development period. It is just speculation as to what the pricing will be but it will be announced in the future.

New Poster

Please add me to the list of disappointed customers who are experiencing the streaming error.  I believe that as the app tries to connect that it is also using an insane amount of data (Comcast recently snuck a data cap onto our account).  If we leave the app open the streaming three dots will sometimes connect to the guide.  We feel lucky until we hit watch and immediately get the Error DRM.-3.    

Random automated phone calls checking to see if there is still a service issue without actually providing any service only validates in my mind that I am being charged for a service that they are clearly not able to provide consistently yet.  This has been going on for 4 months now.  I am planning to switch providers if it is not resolved.

Expert

the Roku Xfinity Stream TV app does not use any bytes in your Cap, it is all in home zero-rated (not counted) access. any use of the Roku for other service apps (example: Netflix) do use data that goes toward your Cap.

Frequent Visitor

tasewell wrote:

I have my own modem and it works well.  If it is not working for you, you should try using tv.xfinity.com to watch live tv.  If you have a problem watching "inhome" tv saying that you are not in home (I can't remember the exact message), you will need to call Comcast to get your modem properly registered.  If tv.xfinity.com works, you should ask again here for more troubleshooting options regarding the network connection between the Roku and your home network.

That happened here last year, provisioning got dropped so connections were dropping at intervals until calling three times got it resolved.

Now no "in-home" streaming at all, wired or wireless, the My Account app shows no internet devices registered....

The xfinitywifi hotspots from other places also stopped working, telling me my service wasn't high enough. "Blast tier" apparently isn't enough anymore.

Their network administration is ridiculous.  

Expert

Tormir wrote:

tasewell wrote:

That happened here last year, provisioning got dropped so connections were dropping at intervals until calling three times got it resolved.

Now no "in-home" streaming at all, wired or wireless, the My Account app shows no internet devices registered....

The xfinitywifi hotspots from other places also stopped working, telling me my service wasn't high enough. "Blast tier" apparently isn't enough anymore.

Their network administration is ridiculous.  

call 800-Comcast and give the representative (internet) your modem/gateway's MAC address.

New Poster

Using the Xfinity BETA TV app on Roku DOES NOT give you the same features as your box. You don't have the same on demand content. I'm not finding CC ability. I'm not sure if your Roku device affects what your able to do. I can't jump from one channel to another by putting in the channel number, I have to scroll. In other words I can't go directly from 3 to 53; I have to use my arrow keys to scroll. Roku remotes don't have numbers. I tried to use the Roku app on my tablet and it would not work when trying to type in the search window.

I think the app is OK for a 2nd TV but that is it. If you want to save the $10 your better off buying a new or used box. If they charge for the app, if it's more than a few dollars I'd be more likely to look for a used box. 

Expert

Bearcat7362 wrote:

Using the Xfinity BETA TV app on Roku DOES NOT give you the same features as your box. You don't have the same on demand content. I'm not finding CC ability. I'm not sure if your Roku device affects what your able to do. I can't jump from one channel to another by putting in the channel number, I have to scroll. In other words I can't go directly from 3 to 53; I have to use my arrow keys to scroll. Roku remotes don't have numbers. I tried to use the Roku app on my tablet and it would not work when trying to type in the search window.

I think the app is OK for a 2nd TV but that is it. If you want to save the $10 your better off buying a new or used box. If they charge for the app, if it's more than a few dollars I'd be more likely to look for a used box. 

you can't buy a set top box used nor used. For connection to a TV you rent a set top box or you can attach a Roku that essentially lets you watch but not record content.

New Poster

Hello,

I have feedback and I’m not sure where it should be posted. Currently running roku os 8, and xfinity beta 2.3.2 (as of 12/28/2017)

1) download guide information immediately, you have to select a show before the associated show description is downloaded
2) jump to my last watched tv Channel when I open the app, don’t ask my anything...I’m here to watch tv, put me into tv right away without any questions or selections, I’ll pull up the menu when I want it
3) have the Guide overlay what I’m watching or create a small picture but keep the show going when I pull up the guide, very annoying cutting out the station when I want to see the guide this makes for horrible channel surfing
4) when I select a schannel, start it right away in very low quality or audio only if necessary, as fast as you can..waiting several seconds for a show or sound to start is brutal
5) in guide, when I select a channel go directly there, don’t offer me more options, go straight to the show,
6) favorite should be the default when opening the guide not all channels
7) only show the universal channel numbers in the favorites menu, right now I see the same channels twice so it’s junking up my favorites
8) make up/down change channels from my favorites when I’m watching current channel
Expert

ck3210 wrote:
Hello,

I have feedback and I’m not sure where it should be posted. Currently running roku os 8, and xfinity beta 2.3.2 (as of 12/28/2017)

1) download guide information immediately, you have to select a show before the associated show description is downloaded
2) jump to my last watched tv Channel when I open the app, don’t ask my anything...I’m here to watch tv, put me into tv right away without any questions or selections, I’ll pull up the menu when I want it
3) have the Guide overlay what I’m watching or create a small picture but keep the show going when I pull up the guide, very annoying cutting out the station when I want to see the guide this makes for horrible channel surfing
4) when I select a schannel, start it right away in very low quality or audio only if necessary, as fast as you can..waiting several seconds for a show or sound to start is brutal
5) in guide, when I select a channel go directly there, don’t offer me more options, go straight to the show,
6) favorite should be the default when opening the guide not all channels
7) only show the universal channel numbers in the favorites menu, right now I see the same channels twice so it’s junking up my favorites
8) make up/down change channels from my favorites when I’m watching current channel

this is the right place. audio and video are not separate in mpeg stream. the delay you see on the roku when selecting a channel is setting up an anycast stream or adding your IP to an existing anycast stream. it isn't a buffering issue. I wish it had picture in a picture on the guide and a stream of stills to show where you are when fast forward and rewind while viewing a recording.

New Poster

Hi,  When I add the xfinity streaming channel to our Roku 2 I get the activation code, I enter that on my browser,  the screen updates on the Roku, but then I get an error telling me that "This device can only access Xfinity Stream on your in home Xfinity Wi-Fi..."

I'm using the device on my in-home xfinity wifi,  so what now?

Expert

sgrinavi wrote:

Hi,  When I add the xfinity streaming channel to our Roku 2 I get the activation code, I enter that on my browser,  the screen updates on the Roku, but then I get an error telling me that "This device can only access Xfinity Stream on your in home Xfinity Wi-Fi..."

I'm using the device on my in-home xfinity wifi,  so what now?

use the smart device app My Account. Login, and select the internet tab. is there a modem listed? does teh the number on the modem match your modem's long number (MAC id)?

New Poster

Thanks for your response.  I'm sorry,  I don't know of any "xfinity smart device app" and can not locate on in the google play store.   We own our own modem which I did upgrade back in November, so it makes sense that the mac id would not match (although I did register the new modem)

Expert
Moved:

New Poster

You were right on,  the modem had not been provisioned with xFinity /  Comcast.  

THANKS!

New Poster

How do I make the image of the screen bigger? Is that an option using the beta version?

Expert

fdubbs15 wrote:

How do I make the image of the screen bigger? Is that an option using the beta version?

are you watching an HD or SD channel?

New Poster

FYI, I have had this issue for several weeks, intermittently. Moreso on my oldest Roku device. Hasn't ever happened on my Roku Premier ( fastest, connected wifi) rarely on Roku 3 ( next newest, hardwired) most often and now ALWAYS on Fox news channel, occasionally PBS, only on Sharp Roku TV (slowest of the Roku devices, connected wireless). Was able to get working at one point by changing from 2.4
to 5ghz wifi and/or uninstalling. Now can't get rid of DRM-3 error even after removing Xfinity channel, power cycling, resetting wifi, rebooting router etc.
Expert

Plutza wrote:
FYI, I have had this issue for several weeks, intermittently. Moreso on my oldest Roku device. Hasn't ever happened on my Roku Premier ( fastest, connected wifi) rarely on Roku 3 ( next newest, hardwired) most often and now ALWAYS on Fox news channel, occasionally PBS, only on Sharp Roku TV (slowest of the Roku devices, connected wireless). Was able to get working at one point by changing from 2.4
to 5ghz wifi and/or uninstalling. Now can't get rid of DRM-3 error even after removing Xfinity channel, power cycling, resetting wifi, rebooting router etc.

The DRM-3 is an error shown by the Stream app when the stream connection is rejected byy DRM HDCP handshake. The app doesn't create the problem only reports the hardware in the stream has stopped the video. to fix it you must remove the HDMI connected Roku from the stream and have it powered off for 30 seconds or so. then plug it back into the device again and power it back up. did that fix it for you?

New Poster

This is a Roku TV, there is no cableSmiley Happy That being said, I have had limited success with various troubleshooting suggestions here. Now nothing seems to work, as I get a constant DRM.-3 error EVERY time on Fox News channel. Occasionally on PBS still throws the error as well.

Thanks though.

Expert

Plutza wrote:

This is a Roku TV, there is no cableSmiley Happy That being said, I have had limited success with various troubleshooting suggestions here. Now nothing seems to work, as I get a constant DRM.-3 error EVERY time on Fox News channel. Occasionally on PBS still throws the error as well.

Thanks though.

you might try updating firmware for the TV and also to unplug the TV from all power for a minute or two to reset the internal connection to its Roku card.

New Poster

Actually, I have been experimenting with this. Here's what I found.

It appears that the Xfinity stream service has occasional "hiccups" in the stream - some are due to the cable headend trying to switch to local commercials when national ones come on, and some are slight lags in video - sometimes a half second, sometimes shorter, sometimes as long as s second. The Roku HATES this. 

You can actually get the stream to re-initialize if you hit OK on a failed stream, let it go back to the guide, then just press OK to watch again. After a few tries, it will eventually dump the buffer in the device and re-acquire the signal (which resets the DRM). However, if the DRM codes are in the buffer and the stream stops - even for a short period of time - it will die and give you a DRM.-3 or DRM.-5. 

The developers of the Roku Port need to rethink how they are buffering video - and if the buffer lags too much, it should just re-acquire signal, DRM and all. In addition, the way it is loading the guide is a poor implementation. The program should lazy load a channel at a time, maybe two when pressing the up or down arrow to move through the guide channels - right now it's doing it in I think something like 10 channels at once. This causes a severe delay in guide information appearing. 

I don't know who is coding this thing, but they need to rely less on the client / target platform's memory, and try to make many small data requests, instead of fewer, large data requests. Not only will this prevent issues like what people are getting, it will also help balance traffic to and from the stream service better. 

The problem here folks is NOT your hardware. Chances are, you may have other apps (Like PlutoTV) that stream live TV just fine. Resetting, unplugging, refreshing, uninstall / reinstall may or may not give relief, but all of those solutions aren't needed and are rudimentary. The problem here is the devs of Xfinity Stream are not thinking outside the box, and are leaving the quality of the service to the mercy of the quirks of the RokuTV / Roku platform.

Hey Comcast employees - it would be really great if you could forward comments like mine on, as I'm sure they could glean some things and really up the performance of the software. 

Expert

jrsdrs wrote:

Actually, I have been experimenting with this. Here's what I found.

It appears that the Xfinity stream service has occasional "hiccups" in the stream - some are due to the cable headend trying to switch to local commercials when national ones come on, and some are slight lags in video - sometimes a half second, sometimes shorter, sometimes as long as s second. The Roku HATES this. 

You can actually get the stream to re-initialize if you hit OK on a failed stream, let it go back to the guide, then just press OK to watch again. After a few tries, it will eventually dump the buffer in the device and re-acquire the signal (which resets the DRM). However, if the DRM codes are in the buffer and the stream stops - even for a short period of time - it will die and give you a DRM.-3 or DRM.-5. 

The developers of the Roku Port need to rethink how they are buffering video - and if the buffer lags too much, it should just re-acquire signal, DRM and all. In addition, the way it is loading the guide is a poor implementation. The program should lazy load a channel at a time, maybe two when pressing the up or down arrow to move through the guide channels - right now it's doing it in I think something like 10 channels at once. This causes a severe delay in guide information appearing. 

I don't know who is coding this thing, but they need to rely less on the client / target platform's memory, and try to make many small data requests, instead of fewer, large data requests. Not only will this prevent issues like what people are getting, it will also help balance traffic to and from the stream service better. 

The problem here folks is NOT your hardware. Chances are, you may have other apps (Like PlutoTV) that stream live TV just fine. Resetting, unplugging, refreshing, uninstall / reinstall may or may not give relief, but all of those solutions aren't needed and are rudimentary. The problem here is the devs of Xfinity Stream are not thinking outside the box, and are leaving the quality of the service to the mercy of the quirks of the RokuTV / Roku platform.

Hey Comcast employees - it would be really great if you could forward comments like mine on, as I'm sure they could glean some things and really up the performance of the software. 

DRM reference (hardware) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management pretty much not to technical.

the DRM handshakes all happen before a stream is allowed. the stream is then allowed to continue as long as the DRM handshakes all agree it is a secure, encrypted connection (hardware). if the connectdion is changed in any way or fails a handshake the stream is interrupted by the hardware. The DRM-5 is a new report so can't speak to it. The app is 'throwing an error' with the DRM-3 message. the DVR will freeze a paicture when that happens and the the box will power down reboot to correct the DRM issue (no error message). glad you have found some other workarounds that work sometimes.

New Poster

Just tried authorizing my first roku (Premiere Plus) and no matter which browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari) nor which device I use (laptop, iPhone, etc), I cannot pull up the site in order to input the code https://xfinity.com/authorize

It seems as thought there is a problem with this site.  Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Expert

badger8790 wrote:

Just tried authorizing my first roku (Premiere Plus) and no matter which browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari) nor which device I use (laptop, iPhone, etc), I cannot pull up the site in order to input the code https://xfinity.com/authorize

It seems as thought there is a problem with this site.  Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I used my cell to do the link (didn't use https) with safari and it worked fine. you might try to see if it will connect without the secure site address.

New Poster

Roku 3500

Any plans on making the streaming app compatible with the Roku stick 3500? 

Expert

Re: Roku 3500

labrego wrote:

Any plans on making the streaming app compatible with the Roku stick 3500? 

HI, I moved your post to the mega-thread. no announcement has been made on adding other hardware model numbers. There may be hardware incompatibility issues that will not allow the security required for HD (HDCP) or other technical issue.

New Poster

I am getting the same error. I have reinstalled the app and it still continues. Does this have anything to do with the update Roku did to version 8.0? I have read that they want developers to update their apps accordingly. I seem to have this error happen more recently. I checked my version of Roku and I am on 8.0. Please fix this as it seems there are a bunch of us having this problem. 

Expert

gpthomas2010 wrote:

I am getting the same error. I have reinstalled the app and it still continues. Does this have anything to do with the update Roku did to version 8.0? I have read that they want developers to update their apps accordingly. I seem to have this error happen more recently. I checked my version of Roku and I am on 8.0. Please fix this as it seems there are a bunch of us having this problem.  

DRM  requires that the device 'leave' the circuit to 'reset'. the unplugging of power won't work. remove the device and power it down for 30 seconds to a few minutes. plug it back in to the HDMI connector on the TV and then plug in the power supply. If necessary unplug the TV too and reboot. 

New Poster

#MeToo ... started getting the drm-3 error with my original roku tv, but I would hit ok and go back to the TV guide and re-submit and it would work.  I've added one more roku tv in the office and now i get the error all the time on both tvs.  I've attempted to apply all discussed remedies and so-called fixes ... no change. 

Maybe it is time to cut the wire and get an Antenna for the roku devices for the local channels and HD ... I have some friends that have done this and the HD channels are incredible that they are receiving (for FREE).

New Poster

The Stream app is good for the most part.  there are a couple of issues i wanted to report to see if there's a fix or at least get it on the radar for the developers to fix.

• "Something went wrong, Please try again Later" error
    • When i select a channel, i get this error.  If i go to a different channel, everything works fine. Then i can go back to the original channel i selected and it will work.
    • Sometimes it take 2 or 3 tries but it's a similar pattern
  • Audio dropping
    • While watching a show, the audio disappears.  I have to go back to the guide and re-select the show and start again.
      • Alternative work around: using the roku mobile app, i can activate then deactivate private listening (no audio actually from app - see below) and audio returns to the TV.
  • Private listening
    • Does not work.  Can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance for any solutions!

New Poster

Question on latest roku devices - you mention support for the ultra (4640) the new version of ultra is the 4660 is this supported as you can't get the 4640 anymore