Community Forum

XFINITY Stream on Roku

Contributor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

Thanks Comcast Dan

That explains the missing content, although there are still a few channels on the app that I am not subscribed to but they don't work.

Also I was wondering if any work has been done to the app since it came out?  Mine seems to be working better. I have not had anymore loss of audio and it seems to load up faster. Only problem I am having now is when I choose an on demand movie it won't let me back out to the list. I have to press the home button on the Roku to stop the movie. While watching a TV channel I do not have that problem.

New Poster

@ComcastDan wrote:

@bampa wrote:

I'm so sorry. It seems that I was wrong. I am now reading that although you don't need anything extra for beta testing when they roll this out for real they want you to use their modems and in return use of your Roku will not count towards internet data cap that has been installed within some markets. The app which is free to use from my phone tablet and PC it looks like they might want more money for at least modem rental fees to use their otherwise free app from Roku.

I don't need it that badly. I'm sorry for any confusion that I might have caused.

My best,

-Hermes

You can use any modem, not just those rented from Comcast. When you are on your home network (your modem or ours), the data streaming to the Roku isn't being delivered over the Internet - it comes over our managed network. Therefore, there is no impact on any data usage plans that may be in effect in your market.  

-ComcastDan

Does this (no data cap) include the other apps (like Netflix) which are also on the Roku...

Expert
Moved:

Expert

Re: Xfinity Roku App Beta

@venmagick wrote:

Bought a new tv at christmas specifically cause of the announcement of xfinity on roku.  the 3400 streaming stick is not listed. app does not show. I'm curious , when the app goes out of beta, is it possible the list will increase, and include models like the 3400, 3500 . or is the current list , which only has the 3600, going to stay that way.

Regardless, would love to know, as we're headed out tomorrow to buy more roku's (express)... i dont want to replace it, if it is possible it'll be compatible in the future when outta beta.

perhaps there is some sort of hardware limitation that it lacks? sorta puzzeling with a unit not even being very old. never buying hitachi again, jeez!

Thanks

sorry, i see you actually answered this few pages ago. can't seem to delete. But PLEASEEEEEEE Consider adding the 3400 and 3500 sticks, even if you have to check a little box that says 'i understand the performance might be bad'. cause I haven't had issues watching anything else i've watched with it.

just curious, do the 3400 and 3500 have mpeg4 capability?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

ComcastDan,

Thanks for the explanation. I have been trying for the last 2 days with no joy. Finally called in and they asked me to give them my IP address and my roku's internal IP address and they said they put them in. The person that was helping me seemed very unsure and kept putting me on hold to get help because since I owned my own modem this was very difficult to do. After being on hold on and off for over an hour the person said they did everything possible and passed the buck to netgear. Needless to say I was very disappointed. This seems like a thing that can be fixed by Comcast techs and I am sure netgear will not help at all. If there is any Comcast number I can call to get someone competent on the line about these issues I would appreciate it.

Edit: live tv does work on the iOS app so it seems to be a roku thing.
Expert
Moved:

personal email address in screen dump, hopefully will have it blacked out and returned. good post otherwise.

Frequent Visitor

My App is clearly using data. Here's the story. I have Xfinity internet and it was cheaper to get it with some channels and a TV package. I have never hooked up my Xfinity TV box as I get TV in the home by other means. I do have one room with just OTA antenna and thought this app would be perfect. My Google router though shows it is using data and so does the Xfinity My Account app. I made a call to Comcast on 2/1 and went through several people who had no remedy and had to explain to all but one what a Roku, let alone your app, even was. It clearly says the app does not use the internet connection but that is clearly not my case and have 15gb of data used towards my cap to back that up. So.....Does my cable box have to be hooked up for me not to be charged data? Hopefully this forum can help as calling in was a waste of 45 minutes and I still have not been called back as promised. Not happy.
Expert
Moved:

Your post was removed to a secure location for a violation of Forum Guidelines [circumventing the language filters]. If you are not familiar with our Guidelines you may review them here.

Problem Solver

@Dcmanryan wrote:
My App is clearly using data. Here's the story. I have Xfinity internet and it was cheaper to get it with some channels and a TV package. I have never hooked up my Xfinity TV box as I get TV in the home by other means. I do have one room with just OTA antenna and thought this app would be perfect. My Google router though shows it is using data and so does the Xfinity My Account app. I made a call to Comcast on 2/1 and went through several people who had no remedy and had to explain to all but one what a Roku, let alone your app, even was. It clearly says the app does not use the internet connection but that is clearly not my case and have 15gb of data used towards my cap to back that up. So.....Does my cable box have to be hooked up for me not to be charged data? Hopefully this forum can help as calling in was a waste of 45 minutes and I still have not been called back as promised. Not happy.

A router is going to show you are using data regardless if it should count against your data cap or not. The video stream is going through your router, and counts as data usage on said router. It is Comcast's systems that should know to either count that data against your data cap or not. Not sure what you mean by your "Google router". Is this a router made by Google, but connected to your Comcast modem? Are you definitely using Comcast as your ISP?

I'm not denying that your Roku stream is not being counted against your data cap. I had a similar problem almost 2 years ago where the Xfinity TV portal was being counted against my data cap, even though it shouldn't of been. Was finally resolved when Comcast found a bug in their system, even though everyone kept telling me I was wrong.

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastDan wrote:

@iceman413 wrote:

@ComcastDan wrote:

@iceman413 wrote:

When trying to stream live TV I get big black bars on the left and right side forcing the picture into a 4x3 aspect ratio. On top of that I also get the bars at the top and bottom keeping the picture in the 16x9 ratio. In short I have huge black bars on the left, right, top, and bottom with the live TV picture taking up a small square in the center.

Ondemand content plays in the correct aspect ratio and fills the screen though. I've tried all the different display options on the TV Normal, Full, Wide, etc. and none of them make a difference. I also have no issue with the picture filling up the screen with the proper aspect ratio on any other Roku app.

I'm using a LeEco X4-55 4K TV with a Roku 3700 Express.

Please select the HD version of the Live TV channels, if available (you can use the * key on the remote to enter the channel number). 

Thanks I should have thought of that. I really wish Comcast would add a category for the HD channels. I always browse the SD channels on the guide because they are first and then I'll just hit the Ok button to forward me to the HD one. There doesn't seem to be something similar here. Browsing all the way to the 1000s so I can see HD channels is time consuming and bad UX. Memorizing the channels does nothing when I'm browsing the guide most of the time to see what is on and what I'd like to watch.

If there was a category for SD and HD channels in the guide I wouldn't have to waste my time browsing through SD channels, or trying to get to the 1000s just so I can get to HD. Yes that includes hitting the * and 1002 just to jump to that part of the guide. Seems like it would be so much easier to have them separated by SD and HD at the top with the other categories.

You aren't the only one - it is a common issue. There are a few things planned that will help to ease this:

1. Favorite channel filter (so customers get to chose which channels matter most to them and hide the rest)
  2. Auto-tune to HD (when there is an HD version of any channel and the customer subscribes to HD, play HD even if the customer selected the SD channel - this already happens on X1)
  3. HD channel filter or guide view

No promise on timing (there's a long list of enhancements planned, along with performance improvements) but just wanted you to know that we're aware and on it!

-CocmastDan

Thanks an auto tune option would be ideal. When using DirecTV Now they only had one listing for each station in their guide. This made it so simple to browse through only 60-120 channels. Instead of like Comcast where you have 2 and sometimes even 3 listings for the same freaking channel. So much bloat and clutter in the guide and making it look like we have more channels than we actually have.

On DirecTV Now you just click the channel you want and bam you get the picture and quality is based on connection. None of this SD/HD junk where you have to choose. It's easy, simple, effortless. Everything an app or service should be.

While DirecTV Now has live TV figured out way better than Xfinity's app. At least you guys are far ahead of them in every other aspect of your app. That's the only part of the DirecTV Now app that I liked over yours was the guide and live TV experience. That and I at least never got that stupid message about me not being on Xfinity WiFi from them. When there is no possible way I could be on anything else but your WiFi ehh.

Seriously you need to work on your system for checking that and make it at least 90% reliable, because my experience with the app over the years is it's not even 60% reliable.

New Poster

roku

how do u get the new roku app for xfinity comcast

Silver Problem Solver

@Wingfat wrote:

Does this (no data cap) include the other apps (like Netflix) which are also on the Roku...

No. It's only the data used by the Xfinity TV App that will not count against your cap. Most other services will still count as data.

Regular Contributor

This morning the app kept freezing. Also video and audo are not in sync.

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastDan wrote:

@Lonniew wrote:

Missing content? I am assuming because this is just a beta is the reason for some of the missing content. I went to my living room and checked and noticed there are more channels there than the beta.Is it safe to assume they will be added when the app is officially released? 

No, you should see all the channels to which you subscribe available in the Roku app. However, we do hide channels that you aren't subscribed to on Roku (and the XFINITY TV mobile/web apps) which is different than on your set-top box which shows everything. 

Are you missing channels to which you subscribe?  If so, your account may need a "refresh" which can be done by using the following troubleshooter tool:

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/tv-assistant/

-ComcastDan

Just a bit of feedback, I would be very nice if the Set top box hid channels we don't subscribe to as well. I've gotten around this by favoriting all of my subscibed channels but would be nice to not need to do that.

New Poster

@Dcmanryan wrote:

I thought it was just me so that's a relief...

Well, it is in beta after all..

If the developers can take a look into this and fix this so data usage coming from the Roku Xfinity TV app isnt counted toward our 1TB cap would be much appreciated.

Contributor

Mine is using data also, I've been watching it all day long.

Everything that's there has been working fine so far. The things I would like to see are

1. Pause live TV

2. Be able to record shows from the app

3. Last Channel (May have seen this available on there this morning?)

4. Tune to HD

5. HD filter

Issues so far. Chime in if I'm doing something wrong.

1. Can't access our DVR on the app and we have X1 cloud DVR.

2. It seems to be using our data (Roku 4 hard wired into our network) I know this is the case because every other streaming box we had is gone now, and will be replaced with Roku eventually. I replaced my router a month ago from an Arris TG862 to a Linksys CM3024 because the Arris kept resetting and doing a bunch of weird stuff, and finally got tired of it. Maybe that's why? but the app wouldn't work if it thought I was on a different network, correct?

Frequent Visitor

Comcast confirmed I'm being charged data when I called in. I had to link them to their own rules stating otherwise. I'm using a Asus Google router hooked to my own SB6183 modem. Comcast's own my account app is showing the data go up. I gave the IP address to the Comcast rep and they confirmed it was using data.
Official Employee

@Lonniew wrote:

Thanks Comcast Dan

That explains the missing content, although there are still a few channels on the app that I am not subscribed to but they don't work.

Also I was wondering if any work has been done to the app since it came out?  Mine seems to be working better. I have not had anymore loss of audio and it seems to load up faster. Only problem I am having now is when I choose an on demand movie it won't let me back out to the list. I have to press the home button on the Roku to stop the movie. While watching a TV channel I do not have that problem.

There are always backend optimization going on but we have not put out an updated patch release of the app.  Glad to hear things are running smoother. 

Thanks for the feedback on the On Demand movie versus Live TV experience.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

@Wingfat wrote:

@ComcastDan wrote:

@bampa wrote:

I'm so sorry. It seems that I was wrong. I am now reading that although you don't need anything extra for beta testing when they roll this out for real they want you to use their modems and in return use of your Roku will not count towards internet data cap that has been installed within some markets. The app which is free to use from my phone tablet and PC it looks like they might want more money for at least modem rental fees to use their otherwise free app from Roku.

I don't need it that badly. I'm sorry for any confusion that I might have caused.

My best,

-Hermes

You can use any modem, not just those rented from Comcast. When you are on your home network (your modem or ours), the data streaming to the Roku isn't being delivered over the Internet - it comes over our managed network. Therefore, there is no impact on any data usage plans that may be in effect in your market.  

-ComcastDan

No, Netflix uses the Internet to deliver content. Think of the XFINITY TV app as an additional set-top box in your home. You can be watching video 24/7 on all your set-top boxes but that's not using Internet data.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

@AROM wrote:
ComcastDan,

Thanks for the explanation. I have been trying for the last 2 days with no joy. Finally called in and they asked me to give them my IP address and my roku's internal IP address and they said they put them in. The person that was helping me seemed very unsure and kept putting me on hold to get help because since I owned my own modem this was very difficult to do. After being on hold on and off for over an hour the person said they did everything possible and passed the buck to netgear. Needless to say I was very disappointed. This seems like a thing that can be fixed by Comcast techs and I am sure netgear will not help at all. If there is any Comcast number I can call to get someone competent on the line about these issues I would appreciate it.

Edit: live tv does work on the iOS app so it seems to be a roku thing.

Sorry you didn't get the service you deserve when calling in. It isn't very common so agents may not be trained on it like they should. I'll provide feedback to that team.

Your edit says that live tv works on the iOS app. There are 2 different kinds of live TV so I want to be certain we're talking about the same thing (since Roku only has one type of live tv, not 2).  When the video begins to play on iOS, do you see an overlay on the video that say "...data charges may apply..."?  If so, that is TV Go video - we pivot you to TV Go when possible on iOS if you don't appear to be in your home.

Official Employee

@iceman413 wrote:

@ComcastDan wrote:

@iceman413 wrote:

@ComcastDan wrote:

@iceman413 wrote:

When trying to stream live TV I get big black bars on the left and right side forcing the picture into a 4x3 aspect ratio. On top of that I also get the bars at the top and bottom keeping the picture in the 16x9 ratio. In short I have huge black bars on the left, right, top, and bottom with the live TV picture taking up a small square in the center.

Ondemand content plays in the correct aspect ratio and fills the screen though. I've tried all the different display options on the TV Normal, Full, Wide, etc. and none of them make a difference. I also have no issue with the picture filling up the screen with the proper aspect ratio on any other Roku app.

I'm using a LeEco X4-55 4K TV with a Roku 3700 Express.

Please select the HD version of the Live TV channels, if available (you can use the * key on the remote to enter the channel number). 

Thanks I should have thought of that. I really wish Comcast would add a category for the HD channels. I always browse the SD channels on the guide because they are first and then I'll just hit the Ok button to forward me to the HD one. There doesn't seem to be something similar here. Browsing all the way to the 1000s so I can see HD channels is time consuming and bad UX. Memorizing the channels does nothing when I'm browsing the guide most of the time to see what is on and what I'd like to watch.

If there was a category for SD and HD channels in the guide I wouldn't have to waste my time browsing through SD channels, or trying to get to the 1000s just so I can get to HD. Yes that includes hitting the * and 1002 just to jump to that part of the guide. Seems like it would be so much easier to have them separated by SD and HD at the top with the other categories.

You aren't the only one - it is a common issue. There are a few things planned that will help to ease this:

1. Favorite channel filter (so customers get to chose which channels matter most to them and hide the rest)
  2. Auto-tune to HD (when there is an HD version of any channel and the customer subscribes to HD, play HD even if the customer selected the SD channel - this already happens on X1)
  3. HD channel filter or guide view

No promise on timing (there's a long list of enhancements planned, along with performance improvements) but just wanted you to know that we're aware and on it!

-CocmastDan

Thanks an auto tune option would be ideal. When using DirecTV Now they only had one listing for each station in their guide. This made it so simple to browse through only 60-120 channels. Instead of like Comcast where you have 2 and sometimes even 3 listings for the same freaking channel. So much bloat and clutter in the guide and making it look like we have more channels than we actually have.

On DirecTV Now you just click the channel you want and bam you get the picture and quality is based on connection. None of this SD/HD junk where you have to choose. It's easy, simple, effortless. Everything an app or service should be.

While DirecTV Now has live TV figured out way better than Xfinity's app. At least you guys are far ahead of them in every other aspect of your app. That's the only part of the DirecTV Now app that I liked over yours was the guide and live TV experience. That and I at least never got that stupid message about me not being on Xfinity WiFi from them. When there is no possible way I could be on anything else but your WiFi ehh.

Seriously you need to work on your system for checking that and make it at least 90% reliable, because my experience with the app over the years is it's not even 60% reliable.

I totally agree on the craziness of channel lineups which list the same channel multiple times. Some of this has to do with FCC rules and some is a vestige of how traditional cable TV gets delivered. Appreciate the validating feedback.

Official Employee

@dakata24 wrote:

@Dcmanryan wrote:

I thought it was just me so that's a relief...

Well, it is in beta after all..

If the developers can take a look into this and fix this so data usage coming from the Roku Xfinity TV app isnt counted toward our 1TB cap would be much appreciated.

Absolutely, appreciate the heads-up that this is occurring.  I'll make sure the technical teams are aware and investigate.

Official Employee

@agordo81 wrote:

Mine is using data also, I've been watching it all day long.

Everything that's there has been working fine so far. The things I would like to see are

1. Pause live TV

2. Be able to record shows from the app

3. Last Channel (May have seen this available on there this morning?)

4. Tune to HD

5. HD filter

Issues so far. Chime in if I'm doing something wrong.

1. Can't access our DVR on the app and we have X1 cloud DVR.

2. It seems to be using our data (Roku 4 hard wired into our network) I know this is the case because every other streaming box we had is gone now, and will be replaced with Roku eventually. I replaced my router a month ago from an Arris TG862 to a Linksys CM3024 because the Arris kept resetting and doing a bunch of weird stuff, and finally got tired of it. Maybe that's why? but the app wouldn't work if it thought I was on a different network, correct?

As an X1 DVR subscriber with Cloud DVR enabled (I checked your account), you should be seeing your Cloud DVR recordings in the "Saved" section of the app and also be able to schedule recordings within the "Live TV" section of the app. If not, maybe sign out and sign into the app again.  Curious to hear back on this.

Yes, I got the same feedback on data usage from a few others and will share with the team.

-ComcastDan

Regular Contributor

Played around with the app a bit more this morning, and I was pleasantly surprised. I've had none of the issues that some have reported, such as audio sync, pixelization, video or audio stuttering, constant buffering, etc.

I watched both recorded content and VOD content with no issues. I was quite surprised at the responsiveness of the remote for rewind, pause, playback, and fast forward. I thoroughly expected a lag from when I pressed the button to when it did as I asked. The response was immediate. Actually, compared to my DVR, the response was better.

I can record, too.

It's a beta, so of course it still has a ways to go in order to be a finished product. But, it definitely gets a thumbs up from me.

While I do have a TV I could use this on, if the fee is going to be more than $2 or $3, I'll pass. I watch/record all of my local stuff OTA anyway.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for following up. Yes I have no kind of warning when I view live tv on the iPhone app. Seems like tech support is not sure how to fix the issue but it seems like I am not the only one with this problem. A few people on this forum seem to have similar problems. Hopefully there will be a fix for this. I would be happy to speak with the development team and do some testing if they want.
Contributor

👍🏻 worked! Hopefully the data consumption gets fixed soon

Thanks!
Expert
New Poster

Just activated beta app on Insignia/Roku TV. Difficult to tune encrypted cable channels. All channels have SEVERE synch problem with audio track 20-30 seconds ahead of video.
Regular Visitor

where do i go in the forums to leave feedback on the Roku Beta ?

Official Employee

@guysuff1970 wrote:

where do i go in the forums to leave feedback on the Roku Beta ?

Please leave feedback about the Roku beta here in this thread.

Regular Visitor

FeedBack

Roku Beta for me is performing for me quite well, hardly any studders. Nice picture quality.  My wishes are all UI based.

I would like to be able to channels surf up and down.  with the arrow pad either up and down or left and right.  have where i can show just HD chanels in the guide like with Cable Tv guide; I really don't care to see channels 2 thru what ever when i have HD versions.

I would like to see a way to save favorites. And then have a choice on the guide to list all or HD or favorites.   When you hit the back button to bring up the guide have it overly transluciently over the current channel playing and keep the channel playing like you have it when you hit down and bring up last watched.

Pressing the back button doesn't always bring up the guide it just goes to last section of the app I was in, so I would like to see a detecated guide button maybe the A or B button or maybe the up on the d pad.

Pause rewind live tv.

Frequent Visitor

Re: FeedBack

I would like to see Roku added to the devices of the TV  Remote App. This way you can control Roku the same way you control your receiver. 

New Poster

Re: Xfinity TV app for Roku

Why do I need the xfinity app for Roku, already have Roku and it works fine.  Already pay for comcast service up the ying yang.  Why would I have to pay for something I already have that works.  Is comcast double dipping again, like forcing us to use decrypting devices on all of our tv's hooked up by cable to read the HD signals on an HD ready HD capable tv. Does that mean they are going to come out with another redundant non-value added app because I can also watch shows from my blue ray player, and then of course charge me for it.  

Frequent Visitor

This is ridiculous I've been trying all day just to use this app and had to authorize countless times. It keeps telling me I'm not connected to Xfinity WiFi, when I have no choice but to be connected to Xfinity Wifi. This thing is worthless and causes more frustration than anything else.

I've rebooted the Roku several times and it doesn't make a difference. It worked fine for two days and now the thing is just taking up space on my home screen cause it's utterly useless. How can you not detect I'm connected to your own network? It's beyond unacceptable.

Official Employee

@iceman413 wrote:

This is ridiculous I've been trying all day just to use this app and had to authorize countless times. It keeps telling me I'm not connected to Xfinity WiFi, when I have no choice but to be connected to Xfinity Wifi. This thing is worthless and causes more frustration than anything else.

I've rebooted the Roku several times and it doesn't make a difference. It worked fine for two days and now the thing is just taking up space on my home screen cause it's utterly useless. How can you not detect I'm connected to your own network? It's beyond unacceptable.

I'm sorry you are having trouble and I understand how frustrating that can be. Please see my previous post about possible causes and solutions:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV-App/Xfinity-TV-on-Roku/m-p/2865219#M5566

New Poster

I downloaded the beta for my Roku TV as well.  Absolutely horrible,  leggy,  and have now tried for two days to watch more than 1 minute of any channel to no avail.  Removing it shortly. 

Frequent Visitor

Thanks so much Comcast Dan for looking into the app counting towards our data cap! The app used 20gb today alone and I'm getting worried I may hit my cap this month.
New Poster

ComcastDan,

Thanks for the informative post. I had been using a Cablecard device, but when the app came out I tried it anyway. I was able to get the app activated, and OnDemand was working but obviously Live channels were not working due to the lack of a cable box in my house.

So, today I went to the Xfinity store by me to get a cable box so I could try out the Live TV part of the app. While installing the cable box, I had to split the coax at my modem, and so my modem was temporarily disconnected. Once I got everything hooked back up, I was prompted to reactivate the Roku app and now I'm getting the error that I'm not on my home's Xfinity Wifi network. (I have multiple Rokus and the same occured on all of them)

I'm wondering if during the modem disconnect my IP address changed and maybe it's just taking a while for the IP address to update on your guys' side? I'm posting from my home network now, and it's been about 8 hours since I hooked everything up so I would have thought the IP addresses would have all synced up by now. Note that tv.xfinity.com is also showing that I can't watch the "in home" only items as well. Note that I have my own modem & router, although it sounds like that shouldn't matter especially since I was able to get the app to activate & use On Demand earlier in the week.

I tried contacting internet tech support, explaining the issue, and asked what IP address they had on file for my connection, and they seemed utterly confused, so I said "Nevermind" and figured I'd post here.

Edit: Looks like things fixed themselves this morning (2/5). Took almost 20 hours for the IP address to "sync" I guess.

Thanks,

Anthony

Regular Contributor

@tb110 wrote:

Why do I need the xfinity app for Roku, already have Roku and it works fine.  Already pay for comcast service up the ying yang.  Why would I have to pay for something I already have that works.  Is comcast double dipping again, like forcing us to use decrypting devices on all of our tv's hooked up by cable to read the HD signals on an HD ready HD capable tv. Does that mean they are going to come out with another redundant non-value added app because I can also watch shows from my blue ray player, and then of course charge me for it.  

The main purpose of this app is to get cable service to TVs that are located in a place where it's not practical or even possible to run a coaxial cable.  While you have to keep 1 settop box from Comcast, you could replace other box(es )you may have with a Roku device and this app.  That would drop your monthly cost a little, as you wouldn't be renting a box from Comcast for the additional outlet(s).  Plus, you wouldn't have to change inputs on your TV to switch from Xfinity to Netflix to Amazon Video to whatever other streaming service you may use.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Frequent Visitor

Just an FYI, all I have is a Roku Stick (3600x I think), and a cable card in a Ceton InfiniTV. I have zero Comcast hardware besides the cable card, and the Roku app is working like a charm. Used it all day on my main TV without a single issue. I don't think its using data against my cap, but I'll check tomorrow.

I'd love an HD Filter, or the ability to outright customize the guide by turning things off I'll never use.
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for the advise. I tried your instructions, but still got the same result. Thanks anyway.
Official Employee

@anth120 wrote:

ComcastDan,

Thanks for the informative post. I had been using a Cablecard device, but when the app came out I tried it anyway. I was able to get the app activated, and OnDemand was working but obviously Live channels were not working due to the lack of a cable box in my house.

So, today I went to the Xfinity store by me to get a cable box so I could try out the Live TV part of the app. While installing the cable box, I had to split the coax at my modem, and so my modem was temporarily disconnected. Once I got everything hooked back up, I was prompted to reactivate the Roku app and now I'm getting the error that I'm not on my home's Xfinity Wifi network. (I have multiple Rokus and the same occured on all of them)

I'm wondering if during the modem disconnect my IP address changed and maybe it's just taking a while for the IP address to update on your guys' side? I'm posting from my home network now, and it's been about 8 hours since I hooked everything up so I would have thought the IP addresses would have all synced up by now. Note that tv.xfinity.com is also showing that I can't watch the "in home" only items as well. Note that I have my own modem & router, although it sounds like that shouldn't matter especially since I was able to get the app to activate & use On Demand earlier in the week.

I tried contacting internet tech support, explaining the issue, and asked what IP address they had on file for my connection, and they seemed utterly confused, so I said "Nevermind" and figured I'd post here.

Edit: Looks like things fixed themselves this morning (2/5). Took almost 20 hours for the IP address to "sync" I guess.

Thanks,

Anthony

I'm glad you're up and running again. One point of clarification (and we've updated the FAQ as well) but a CableCARD should work fine. You should have access to Live TV and On Demand. Let me know if that's not the case.

Thanks for the follow up message.  Really appreciate when customers do that since it helps the others.

Best,
ComcastDan

New Poster

I have a Roku stick 3600 downloaded the app and every time I try to run the beta it says initializing... And then says "Sorry! Something went wrong. Please try again later." It didn't event give me a chance to login or anything. Tryed running the app on a Roku 3 and it says the same thing.
1486314355622566360064.jpg
New Poster

@krystalm111 wrote:

I agree with OP it's terribly frustrating swapping back and forth from roku when I'm watching netflix and vudu then back to comcast. Also when I travel I want to be able to take my Roku with me to watch NESN on the road so I don't miss any Bruins games.. I can stream the NBCSN games from my tablet via the xfinity tv go ap, but NESN isn't provided on that app. Comcast. come up with some solution to let us watch our local stuff while we're on the road. I don't see how time warner can and you can't and yet you want to declare yourselves the best cable company...

First all as with ALL service providers it's NOT them.  Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, HBO, Comcast, Timewarner, Charter, AT&T etc..

They do *NOT* own the content or the channels.  NESN is a channel if you can't watch NESN away from home ON the Roku and you can on the App that's NOT comcast, since it's OBVIOUS you can get it.. that's the CHANNEL provider dictating to Comcast HOW their channel is delivered.

PERIOD.

So everyone likes to complain that Comcast needs to this and Netflix needs to add this movie or that TV, show.. ITS NOT their call, at ALL.

Complain the content provider, producer, or management company.. all these services is do is provide SERVICE. Its like complaining to Walmart that your TV doesn't have features or it's not working correctly, Walmart SOLD you the device but they are not responsible.

Comcast SOLD you a service, and its working.. NESN is NOT part of the service it's a CHANNEL, service is internet, tv channels, and packages if NESN doesn't work on the road there are a LOT of reasons for that, most of these reasons are part of contract and advertising.

If you watch NESN in your home network, and you suddenly change places to a completely different region how would NESN know that?  They wouldn't. so now your ads are relavent to your HOME network but if you are traveling you miss ads in the local area, that THEY paid for, so NESN can't give you a channel outside of your home region, but that's only ONE reason there are many more, contract obligations, sports (NFL, NBA, NHL, etc. ) they own franchise rights to teams.. your home region may have a pro team but maybe the city you are in has no pro team or its a different PRO team, so is that fair that you decide to pick and move and STILL get ads from your home while you are traveling but then your add revenue goes to your house..

It would be like buying a hamburger in Texas and they have to send money to New York just because you are from there.. yeah that's not fair equitable at all..

that's what you people NEEd to realize, this goes beyond a SIMPLE TV, there is a lot of things that are included you do not see, so NESN call THEM not comcast, comcast is merely a provider for THAT channel in the package you paid for.. that's ALL they do.  NESN is where you need to make a complaint why you can't watch it on the road from roku when the app on your tablet does.. good luck with that, but stop making Comcast the enemy for everything just because they happen to deliver services, there is nothing they can do.

Regular Contributor

How do you opt out of this app once it is authorized? Is it as simple as signing out of the app and removing it from the Roku device?

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastDan - What is the difference between watching live TV on your computer via browser and Roku App?  Why will be a fee for Roku app and not for watching on your laptop,phone or tablet?  This makes no sense.    Please explain.

Frequent Visitor

I'm not speaking for Dan, but the reason is once the bugs are fixed you will not be charged data using the Roku app but will be charged data using your computer. This is a big deal if you have the 1tb data cap and have a TV with no Comcast connection like me. As of now I am being charged data so have quit using the app until a fix is posted.
Frequent Visitor

@ComcastDan wrote:

@iceman413 wrote:

I'm sorry you are having trouble and I understand how frustrating that can be. Please see my previous post about possible causes and solutions:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV-App/Xfinity-TV-on-Roku/m-p/2865219#M5566

Thanks for trying to help Dan I know it's not your fault. This is just very frustrating, and I had already read that post. I finally got it working again a day later. Still it is pretty ridiculous Comcast has no issues at all keeping track of my internet usage towards my cap. They've never had an issue with that, so why can't they tell I'm on their network to use their own streaming service? This is something that needs to be fixed ASAP.

Official Employee

@adymax wrote:

@ComcastDan - What is the difference between watching live TV on your computer via browser and Roku App?  Why will be a fee for Roku app and not for watching on your laptop,phone or tablet?  This makes no sense.    Please explain.

I'm sorry but I won't be responding to questions about any potential future pricing plans related to Roku. I have no information beyond the fact that there is no charge to use the beta version of the app.

Official Employee

@lkpolovchik wrote:

How do you opt out of this app once it is authorized? Is it as simple as signing out of the app and removing it from the Roku device?

What do you mean by "opt out"?  Within the app settings area, there is a "Sign out" option. There's no way for Comcast to know if the app is installed on your device or not, only if it is signed in and being used, so removing it from your device is optional.