Community Forum

XFINITY Stream on Roku

Contributor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

This is the reply I got today on xfinity facebook page, so basically nothing new. 

IMG_5406.PNG

Official Employee

@crunch32 wrote:

This is getting off the point of this tread.

Time continues to go on with out any updates or news.

I think previous poster is correct where Comcast will probably never come out with this app.

Is there anyone from Comcast that will give us accurate information in regards to status of app.

If it is actually going to be out, when or if it has been scraped.  I think your Customers deserve to know the answer.  I also think Comcast will be losing a lot of Customers if it turns out that Comcast does not release app soon.

The XFINITY TV app for Roku is in active development with plans to release it soon. We are excited to get it out and will post here and elsewhere once it is available. We appreciate your continued patience.

-ComcastDan

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

I have 2 question regarding the upcoming XFINITY TV partner app for Roku.

1. Are there any updates to "eligibility for the XFINITY TV partner app"?
  2. Will the "Cloud DVR recordings" feature require that the customer already has X1 equipment?
    I ask this because I can watch but not record using tv.xfinity.com and an xfinity agent through chat told me that the only way to enable recording and watching recordings through tv.xfinity.com is by adding the X1 to my service.  My hope is that the Xfinity App for Roku will not mirror the tv.xfinity.com portal with respect to the Cloud DVR service.

Regarding #1, we will announce eligibility once the Roku app is available.

Regarding #2, Cloud DVR will indeed require X1. Non-X1 equipment isn't compatible with Cloud DVR. X1 is a free or low-cost upgrade for most customers and is available in all Comcast markets. Only recordings made after getting Cloud DVR added to your account will be available to watch remotely.

-ComcastDan

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Regarding #1 I'd love to have some vaguely approximate time frame of when that might be. Nothing definite I understand and nothing I personally would hold Comcast to. I have an extremely angry about this situation wife who's up my back every day and I'd love to tell her something besides "I don't know".
Official Employee

@rcorreale51 wrote:
Regarding #1 I'd love to have some vaguely approximate time frame of when that might be. Nothing definite I understand and nothing I personally would hold Comcast to. I have an extremely angry about this situation wife who's up my back every day and I'd love to tell her something besides "I don't know".

I'm sorry but I can't post any target dates for the Roku app release. As you can see from this thread, it drives too much frustration in the event of delays. 

Contributor

Thanks comcast Dan for your post. I think we all understand why no date can be given because if it gets delayed again than it leads to everyone being upset and a backlash against comcast, I am guilty of that myself. I think everyone wants an app that will work so it's ok if it takes longer than expected. so I understand why comcast won't give a date and perhaps you were told not to tell the public. But can I ask you this? Does comcast have a definitive date and do you know that date? I am NOT asking for it, just being curious if there is one?
Official Employee

@Lonniew wrote:
Thanks comcast Dan for your post. I think we all understand why no date can be given because if it gets delayed again than it leads to everyone being upset and a backlash against comcast, I am guilty of that myself. I think everyone wants an app that will work so it's ok if it takes longer than expected. so I understand why comcast won't give a date and perhaps you were told not to tell the public. But can I ask you this? Does comcast have a definitive date and do you know that date? I am NOT asking for it, just being curious if there is one?

Yes, there is a specific date being targeted for release. Internal testing is ongoing and, assuming no significant bugs are discovered, things are looking good to hit that date.

Regular Contributor

@ComcastDan wrote:

@Lonniew wrote:

Yes, there is a specific date being targeted for release. Internal testing is ongoing and, assuming no significant bugs are discovered, things are looking good to hit that date.

Thank you very much for this information. Smiley Happy

Contributor

Thank you comcast Dan. That's all I wanted to know, this helps a lot..

New Poster

when is the Xfinity TV app going to be available to use on Roku

When is the Xfinity TV App for Roku going to be available? It has been almost a year at this point. We purchase Roku TV's for our rental property and were told by year end (2016) January is flying by, and soon April will be here. This will make one year since the announcement. 

Expert

Re: when is the Xfinity TV app going to be available to use on Roku

@IOPBEACHBUM2016 wrote:

When is the Xfinity TV App for Roku going to be available? It has been almost a year at this point. We purchase Roku TV's for our rental property and were told by year end (2016) January is flying by, and soon April will be here. This will make one year since the announcement. 

check out post 486 just above yours by a Comcast official employee.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert
Moved:

Expert
Moved:

Contributor

@IOPBEACHBUM2016 wrote:

I hope this doesn't come as too much of a disappointment to you, but unless you already have a Comcast cable subscription at your rental property, your Roku TVs won't work even after the Xfinity channel is released.  From what I've read to date, all the Roku channel will let you do is dispense with having to rent a box (or an additional box if you already have one) from Comcast.  It won't let you tap remotely into a cable subscription tied to another address, like your home.  Just like you can't unplug a standard cable box, drive it across town to your buddy's house, plug it in and expect it to work, you can't do the equivalent with the Xfinity Roku channel either.  It's just a set top box alternative with the same subscription limitations. 

Unfortunately, the general portability of a Roku device has led a lot of people to conclude that the Xfinity channel would also be portable.  But I haven't read anything from Comcast promising to provide that functionality.  I hope I'm misreading Comcast's communications--portability would be a nice feature--but I don't think I am.  It wouldn't make business sense for Comcast to allow subscribers to provide cable service to two (or more) addresses while paying for cable service to only one address.

Silver Problem Solver

The Roku app will probably be virtually the same as the Apple and Android apps. The main difference is that it may not allow access to TVGo channels, but only direct. The direct channel access is based on you having Comcast Internet, and is tied to your modem's address.

When developing apps for Apple and Android, there is software out there that lets developers build a mostly standard code base, then output versions for each. Roku is completely different and probably has to be built from scratch, and maintained separately.

Frequent Visitor

But I can watch Xfinity programming via the Xfinity TV app on my iPad from my rental property. What's the difference?

Contributor

@PhilipOb wrote:

But I can watch Xfinity programming via the Xfinity TV app on my iPad from my rental property. What's the difference?

Limited number of channels (TVGO only) and you can't mirror to a large screen.  Pretty big differences.  And, right back at you. If there's really no difference, why should you care about the Roku channel?

Frequent Visitor

We'll, if I bought an Apple TV I would be able to mirror to a TV, but I would prefer to use my Roku.

Frequent Visitor

Plus, I would be able to watch any channel I recorded on my DVR at home. I'm just wondering why Xfinity can't extend the same functionality to roku.

Contributor

@PhilipOb wrote:

We'll, if I bought an Apple TV I would be able to mirror to a TV, but I would prefer to use my Roku.

Well, then buy an Apple TV and go in peace, content with your service.  But you prefer the Roku.  I get that, and I suspect that you have that preference because you get more channels with the Roku, and a bigger TV to watch them on.  Apple TV only gives you the latter.   And that's my point. You value both of these services.  Why wouldn't you expect a business--any business--to charge you for something you value?  That's capitalism at its core.

When you buy your home cable and internet service, Comcast gives you as a bonus a "free" mechanism for watching television remotely--an app.  But the "free" version of its remote cable service has a catch--you only get a handful of channels and a small viewing screen.  If you're happy with those limitations, great.  No need to pay for the "full" version.  But if you want all the features of the full version (all the channels you get at home, for example), what's wrong with the provider asking you to pay for them?  You see it all the time on the Apple store:  A free app with limited functions and a full version that you have to pay for.  Comcast is no different here than any other profit-seeking business.  By not allowing the Roku channel to function outside of the paying customer's home netowork, all Comcast is doing is making sure the customer pays for the full version of its cable service in every location he or she wants the full version.  There's nothing remarkable or sinister about that.  Wouldn't you, if it was your business?

Now, if the real complaint is that cable and internet service already costs too much (and I agree, it does), that is a different issue, and there are better--or at least more direct--ways of dealing with it.

Regular Visitor

To the best of my knowledge there is no Xfinity TV app for Apple TV.  It is only available for iPhone and iPad. Therefore you can't mirror to big screen with any Apple product. 

New Poster

Re: Xfinity TV on Samsung

I have a Samsung Smart tv I want to be able to use xfinity tvgo app on it but the is not available. It's very dissapointing so I have to use my tablet instead. Will the app be an upgrade to Samsung older 2016 models? Thanks.

Frequent Visitor

I believe you can mirror anything displayed on an iPad/iPhone to an Apple TV.

Frequent Visitor

Point taken, but at the same time Xfinity must be aware of the increasing competition for streaming TV services. They should not be making it difficult for their customers to view their programs wherever they may be.

Frequent Visitor

Not sure about Apple TV, but Xfinity won't allow you to mirror to a TV. They want you to have to rent their boxes. They make it very difficult, if not impossible to watch Xfinity TV services on a TV without a Comcast set top box. This is the very same reason, in my opinion of course, that they have not released the Roku app and will not Allow their Android app to be used on an Amazon fire TV or an Android TV.
Contributor

@Froid wrote:
Not sure about Apple TV, but Xfinity won't allow you to mirror to a TV. They want you to have to rent their boxes. They make it very difficult, if not impossible to watch Xfinity TV services on a TV without a Comcast set top box. This is the very same reason, in my opinion of course, theat they have not released the Roku app and will not Allow their Android app to be used on an Amazon fire TV or an Android TV.

Putting on my conspiracy theory/cynic hat here, I think they are delaying because the Roku channel works too well.  They haven't worked out all the safeguards that keep it from working in any location within range of a wireless signal--any wireless signal.  I imagine echoes of the following dialog ringing through the corporate executive offices:  "A few bugs that undermine the user experience?  No biggie. We release buggy boxes all the time.  A few lost STB rentals?  Them's the breaks.  The government told us to open up equipment choices. Might as well get the Feds off our backs.  A bug that will allow the subscriber to port full Comcast service anywhere they can get a wifi signal while paying for service in only one location?  That would be a financial disaster!  Don't let that abomination out of the development lab!"

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the heads up. Seems my assumption was wrong - glad I didn't go and buy an Apple TV!

Contributor

@PhilipOb wrote:

Point taken, but at the same time Xfinity must be aware of the increasing competition for streaming TV services. They should not be making it difficult for their customers to view their programs wherever they may be.

I'm sure they are aware, and are concerned.  But until these alternatives become more complete substitutes, Comcast probably figures that they will gain more in revenue by requiring customers to buy service at every location than they will lose from customers who turn to these alternatives because for now its primary service is seen as superior.  Once the alternatives get better, the balance will eventually shift and Comcast will need to respond. But I don't think we're at that tipping point yet.

New Poster

It is just frustrating that I purchased a Roku over other streaming devices based on the announcement.  I would have gone with an AppleTV or an Amazon Fire stick otherwise.  Asking us to be patient isn't cool when your statements do affect actual purchases.  

New Poster

I just purchased a Roku and they told me they have no idea what the xfinity partner app is.
New Poster

Comcast Jessie, I just bought a roku and called the customer support number. They told me they have no idea what the xfinity partner app is. Is this still happening?
Diamond Problem Solver

@Chatinwjul wrote:
Comcast Jessie, I just bought a roku and called the customer support number. They told me they have no idea what the xfinity partner app is. Is this still happening?

Again, 

The XFINITY TV app for Roku is in active development with plans to release it soon. We are excited to get it out and will post here and elsewhere once it is available. We appreciate your continued patience.

-ComcastDan

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Expert
Moved:

Your post was removed to a secure location for a violation of Forum Guidelines [circumventing the language filters]. If you are not familiar with our Guidelines you may review them here.

New Poster

Honestly, if its revenue they want, I for one would pay a small fee per Roku instance to get this app on all my TVs in my house.   I have been a long time Media Center user with an Xfinity CableCard.  No issues until recently when they switched to MPEG4/H.264 in my area.  Now all my extenders cannot play the majority of content (most HD channels and all premium).   I'd have to run cable to every room in my house to achieve what I once had with Media Center; and what I could potentially have with a Roku app.    My house is fully networked (wired and wireless); but I have 0 cable runs in my house except in my basement to my main Media Center PC.    There is no way I am running cable to 3 bedrooms, a living room, kitchen, and basement at this point.  

They are forcing my hand here......countless years of my $$$ for a full triple play subscription.....yet they can't/won't release their Roku App because they (reportedly/assumingly) may lose revenue???   Then charge me a few bucks.....it will be lost in my 16 page xfinity bill anyways.   ;-)

Official Employee

@boxerboys wrote:

Honestly, if its revenue they want, I for one would pay a small fee per Roku instance to get this app on all my TVs in my house.   I have been a long time Media Center user with an Xfinity CableCard.  No issues until recently when they switched to MPEG4/H.264 in my area.  Now all my extenders cannot play the majority of content (most HD channels and all premium).   I'd have to run cable to every room in my house to achieve what I once had with Media Center; and what I could potentially have with a Roku app.    My house is fully networked (wired and wireless); but I have 0 cable runs in my house except in my basement to my main Media Center PC.    There is no way I am running cable to 3 bedrooms, a living room, kitchen, and basement at this point.  

They are forcing my hand here......countless years of my $$$ for a full triple play subscription.....yet they can't/won't release their Roku App because they (reportedly/assumingly) may lose revenue???   Then charge me a few bucks.....it will be lost in my 16 page xfinity bill anyways.   ;-)

The Roku app will be released soon and the delay has nothing to do with revenue concerns.

Frequent Visitor

How soon Dan?  Just give us a date that you know.

Expert

@adymax wrote:

How soon Dan?  Just give us a date that you know.

As soon as it's released it will be announced.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Expert
Moved:

Contributor

@boxerboys wrote:

That is what the Roku channel is supposed to accomplish--allow customers to extend existing service to additional screens at the same service location without having to purchase additional STBs from Comcast.  I doubt Comcast is overly concerned about the lost revenue stream from equipment rentals.  The tide has already turned on that with the ability to buy your own modem, TiVO, etc.

Expert
Moved:

Contributor
New Poster

Frequent Visitor

I went to the website to install on my Roku enabled TV (made by Sharp) and it says the device is not supported.  Is that expected?

Also, the app page says: To experience XFINITY TV on Roku during the Beta trial, you’ll need an active XFINITY TV or Stream TV account, one primary XFINITY set top box, and XFINITY Internet service with the XFINITY Wireless Gateway.  Do we really need a Comcast Provided Wireless Gateway for it to work?

Thanks

New Poster

I was able to get it via the online store. Thanks for that link. 

Very quick first impressions: will work for what I want it for! Needs a better way to navigate channels. maybe favorites or more filters. 

I have a modem I bought from the store and it works fine with the channel, so as long as the modem has been activated with Comcast I assume it will work.

That blog post I linked above has a list of supported devices and mentions more will become available throughout the beta period.

Frequent Visitor

Hello there.

You do not need Comcast owned devices for this to work.  The wording appears to be confusing. I activated my Roku through xfinity.com/activate from a web browser on my PC. It verified that I am an Xfinity subscriber and walla it works. Except for the no frills cable box that they let me use my routers and modems are my own.

Also, I'm wondering if there will be an extra charge for using this app after the beta ends? When I registered there was wording that would suggest extra fees.

New Poster

Thanks for the information.

Are you saying you still have one cable box active? I am at work and was very happy about the announcement until the description said you needed to use and Xfinity box and Gateway. I currently use zero boxes.

Additionally, the release states that there could be an access fee down the line:

"On conclusion of the trial, you will be informed of the charges that will apply for connecting this device with your XFINITY TV service and will have the opportunity to opt in."

I am already wondering if it is reasonable like $2-3 dollars, or is it more expensive ($5+).

Regular Contributor

I am at work but was able to push the app to my roku using my phone but am unable to test the app at this time. I hope the " at least one Comcast-provided set-top box" requirement is not true. I use a Comcast provided gateway/modem but my boxes are TIVOs (two Comcast provided CableCards). Hopefully I am allowed to use the app without any issue.

New Poster

I just rechecked the release statement and either I missed it before or another statement was added that says:

"During this Beta phase, due to technical limitations, customers using the XFINITY TV Beta app on Roku (other than Stream customers) can only use that app on secondary TV outlets and will need to have at least one Comcast-provided TV box in their home. You do not have to connect the Comcast-provided TV box and Roku to the same TV."

I use a cablecard as well (through a HDHOMERUN). I don't think it is looking good for us.

Contributor

Happy to see it's finally been released! I've been watching this thread for months, as I have a TV in my master bedroom with no cable jack and have been using pretty outdated versions of streaming apps built into that TV, along with a finicky tabletop antenna, for a couple of years. Once this shakes out for a week or two to really understand if it will work long term without a Comcast rented gateway, and that there are definitely no fees attached, I will be ordering a Roku to try it out. Could see myself replacing a DTA and older X1 remote box with Rokus as well, if it works as good!

Regular Contributor

I installed the app from roku.com. The app is only compatable with one of my 4 devices, the Roku Express+. The 2XS, LT and 1, no go. But, the Roku version on the Express+ is 7.5.1 while the others are at 7.5.0. So, the app may only run with 7.5.1. I'll wait until the others update before getting irritated.

And yes, it does have bugs. Setup was quick, getting to the guide screen took awhile, scolling in the guide worked well, playback..not so good. The live channel stream crashed about a minute in, and what did play was about 45 seconds behind the X1 box in my living room. When I restarted the show, there was frequent stalls/rebuffering and finally crashed again.

I'm going to test it again later. The screen look is good, just like an X1, so the learning curve won't be as steep.