Community Forum

XFINITY Stream on Roku

Highlighted
Expert

Re: XFINITY Stream on Roku

@boonie17 wrote:

I never needed one so never got one.  It has great until this point and is onlly affecting one of my roku's.  Netflix and everything else still works fine it is something with the app.

with no set top boxes installed in the home the "limit' is two concurrent streams in the home. concurrent means at the same time. if someone is using a smart phone/tablet to stream and one Roku is currently using the xfinity stream app, then an attempt to use a third stream will not work until one of the other devices properly exits the stream.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

I apologise if this is answered already, but the way this forum is set up makes it VERY difficult to know if your question was addressed without reading through every reply to the post...there should really be a separate post for each question all organized under an xfinity stream beta section or something...but I digress.

I recently just upgraded my xfinity service to include TV. I am able to watch on my pc or with the mobile application on android just fine. However, when I log into the roku app (including authentication and all of the steps), none of my channels or viewing options show up. When I click on "Watch for free - TV, Movies, & More" the screen just says "No items found". When I click on that button on the mobile app it works just fine though. I upgraded about 5 hours ago, does it take longer than that for changes to take effect on the roku app?

I've tried removing the roku app, restarting the roku, reinstalling the xfinity stream beta app on roku, and signing in, but it still doesn't work. I've also tried restarting the modem and router.
Highlighted
Expert

@MegaMax5000 wrote:
I apologise if this is answered already, but the way this forum is set up makes it VERY difficult to know if your question was addressed without reading through every reply to the post...there should really be a separate post for each question all organized under an xfinity stream beta section or something...but I digress.

I recently just upgraded my xfinity service to include TV. I am able to watch on my pc or with the mobile application on android just fine. However, when I log into the roku app (including authentication and all of the steps), none of my channels or viewing options show up. When I click on "Watch for free - TV, Movies, & More" the screen just says "No items found". When I click on that button on the mobile app it works just fine though. I upgraded about 5 hours ago, does it take longer than that for changes to take effect on the roku app?

I've tried removing the roku app, restarting the roku, reinstalling the xfinity stream beta app on roku, and signing in, but it still doesn't work. I've also tried restarting the modem and router.

is it working now? changes can take up to 24 hours to update all the back office databases.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
New Poster

I’ve hooked my Roku up to another tv and when I launch the xfinity stream app I get TVAPP-00231 error code
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

You can only access the app on a ROKU that is hooked up to your in home internet network.  Very misleading!  Which means that if you are traveling or out of your home, the ROKU is worthless.  That is what the BETA means.  THE XFINITY APP IS NOT AVAILABLE UNLESS YOU ARE IN YOUR OWN HOME.

Highlighted
Expert

@amgjoseph wrote:

You can only access the app on a ROKU that is hooked up to your in home internet network.  Very misleading!  Which means that if you are traveling or out of your home, the ROKU is worthless.  That is what the BETA means.  THE XFINITY APP IS NOT AVAILABLE UNLESS YOU ARE IN YOUR OWN HOME.

not misleading at all. the Roku Stream channel is designed as a substitute set top box that is used inside your own home. a smart phone/tablet can access TV go channels, much of the on-demand library, and completed recordings. if you are at a wifi location with a Chromecast dongle you can stream to the dongle from your phone.

Highlighted
Contributor

What is misleading is their advertising of any device/any location. Not only is Xfinity Stream restricted to a phone or tablet when off your home network - but - Comcast has disabled any ability to cast, mirror or even cable attach the phone or tablet to a tv.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@TomBenoit wrote:
What is misleading is their advertising of any device/any location. Not only is Xfinity Stream restricted to a phone or tablet when off your home network - but - Comcast has disabled any ability to cast, mirror or even cable attach the phone or tablet to a tv.

You should be able to watch on a mobile device, I am able to on my Android phone as I tried it. Now locals may not be available depending upon your location due to licensing.  I haven't tried casting it to my tv though.

The Roku app though is a mess. The guide is hit or miss and your favorites do not carry over from the website. Plus when you select favorites the app has a bad habit of either adding or subtracting channels you want.  I also noticed some of the movie channels do no appear in full screen on the tv at all.  The flex box suffers from the same problems with the favorites just like the Roku app does. It tells me that is is horrid coding from Comcast itself.

I noticed some channels in particular MSNBC has a habit of the screen refresh rate changing and the picture becomes very grainy. Clicking on a different channel and then back sometimes resolves this issue.

It's not you, it is definitely the app and the fact that Comcast can't seem to get its act together. No amount of waiting, reboots or anything is going to fix this no matter what anyone tells you to do.

Highlighted
Contributor

I have not had any problems on my many roku TVs with favorites. The scale seems to really depend on the specific tv and the video settings. <br><br>However; when off your home network, only ‘some’ channels are available live depending on the zip code and licensing arrangements.<br><br>Additionally, you will find that the Xfinity Stream app will NOT allow you to cast or mirror your phone or tablet. It will also not allow you to connect your device via cable to a tv. I guess any device/anywhere excludes anything bigger than a tablet when off your home network. So - if you travel, forget it. I even tried at my sones house who also has xfinity.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for responding.  After many phonecalls to Comcast, I was told that the reason you have to be connected to your home wifi to use get Xfinity Stream on your Roku device is bec people were using it to avoid paying for Comcast.  I told them that punishing their paying customers and denying them access to the service they are paying for bec of glitches in the Comcast system is a really poor business model.  I have been so disappointed.  We have very good internet here (not thru Comcast) and UTube video bundles pretty much everything you want for $70  a month.  Comcast needs to recognize that their customers needs are changing.  We are more mobile and expect to be able to take our entertainment with us.  If they can't adapt, they will go the way of Blockbusters!

Highlighted
Contributor

That is what is suspected. I have two homes that I split my times with - one with Comcast and one with spectrum. I would be willing to pay a nominal fee (say $50) to be able to take utilize my Roku remotely so I could simply eliminate one of my services (except internet). But they all are looking to gouge you and limit your access.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Very misleading.  Why wd I want to stream in my own home?  I have cable tv in my home.  Rokus, Firesticks, Apple TV are designed to be used when you don't have cable, but have internet, and want to acess entertainment that you pay for, i.e. Netflix, Disney plus, HBO etc..  I pay $200+ a month for Comcast.  I should be able to take it with me wherever I go, just like I do with my Netflix and Spotify.  Even Sirius XM has figured out that their customers want to be able to stream outside of their cars.   The Roku box says "plug it in, connect to internet, start streaming."  and lists Xfinity stream as an available channel.  HOWEVER, IT IS NOT AVAILABLE UNLESS YOU ARE CONNECTED TO YOUR OWN INTERNET.  That is very misleading in my book.  

I do not have a chromecast dongle.  I also do not want to use my phone while I watch my tv, which I cannot do if it I have to use the phone for streaming.  That is a non-starter.  Incredibly disappointed.  I will be returning my Roku and finding a much cheaper and more available alternative to Comcast.  And Comcast will go the way of the dinosaurs if it can't adapt.  Too many other choices.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Yup.  Comcast has admitted that they are blocking your access.  AND even without the Roku, if you try to stream the app thru your laptop to another tv, it will block certain programming, like football games and the US Open.  Those programs can only be watched in yor own home.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

No one is using the streaming service but me.  Comcast has admitted that they only allow the Xfinity Streaming app to be used on your laptop or phone out of your home, and then only certain channels -- football games, for example are blocked -- even if those channels are included on the streaming app normally.  The point is we PAY for all of the channels.  We should have access to them wherever we are.  

Expert

@amgjoseph wrote:

Yup.  Comcast has admitted that they are blocking your access.  AND even without the Roku, if you try to stream the app thru your laptop to another tv, it will block certain programming, like football games and the US Open.  Those programs can only be watched in yor own home.

the owners (league/networks/us open etc) control where a video can be played via contract and digital rights management (DRM) it is enforced. 

Highlighted
Expert

@amgjoseph wrote:

No one is using the streaming service but me.  Comcast has admitted that they only allow the Xfinity Streaming app to be used on your laptop or phone out of your home, and then only certain channels -- football games, for example are blocked -- even if those channels are included on the streaming app normally.  The point is we PAY for all of the channels.  We should have access to them wherever we are.  

your subscription is for your home service, all mobile extras are at no charge and as provided. Why not record what you want to watch while travelling and then play it back when the recording is complete?

Highlighted
New Poster

Why does this app constantly make me re authorize after roku restart?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

That wd be a good idea, except I have been quarantining in VT since May.  I have not been home.  And even if I were allowed to record it (I am not, bec I am not hooked up to my home wifi),  I wd have to use my computer to play it.  I pay to watch tv on a TV, not a computer.  And even if you throw it up onto a screen through the HDMI cord, have you ever tried to change a channel?  And it also means I can't use my computer while watching it.  I have given up.  I am signing up for YouTube TV and cancelling my Comcast cable.  If I can't watch the channels I pay for, it is of no use.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

So Youtube TV can stream the NFL games, but Comcast can't?  Sounds like Comcast needs to either negotiate better deals for its customers, or lose them.  I am not waiting around, unfortunately.  I had a nice chat with Comcast tech support and he told me that the Comcast platform wasn't designed to allow customers to take the service with them.  So there is no way that I will be able to access the channels that I pay for outside of my house.  That does not meet my needs.  After 20+ years as a Comcast customer, I am dropping my service and signing up for youTube TV that is cheaper and allows me to watch where ever I am.  I am also returning my Roku.  Totally useless.

Highlighted
New Poster

XFINITY app on Roku is blurry for first 5 minutes

When I replay recorded shows using the xfinity beta app, the resolution will be low for the first 5 minutes of playback, then HD resolution will return. If I replay the blurry portion after watching for 5 minutes, it will be at proper HD resolution, so the recording is ok.  This is not a bandwidth issue, because resolution is normal on all other apps.  

Highlighted
Expert

Re: XFINITY app on Roku is blurry for first 5 minutes

@Prokopsteele wrote:

When I replay recorded shows using the xfinity beta app, the resolution will be low for the first 5 minutes of playback, then HD resolution will return. If I replay the blurry portion after watching for 5 minutes, it will be at proper HD resolution, so the recording is ok.  This is not a bandwidth issue, because resolution is normal on all other apps.  

very typical of barely-there signal level. the process of starting slow-bits increasing until limit is reached is a process some call 'training'. Netflix does this and has diagnostic videos so you can see the speed in which the bit rate is increased and maximum achieved (won't go past the level if the but rate is not achieveable.). 

Highlighted
New Poster

I  have this same problem.  My projector is direclty wired, so bandwidth is not the issue.  I have two Roku Ultras.  They start in HD and go to low def in about 5 seconds.  They may or may not go back to HD after a few mintues.  Each time I change or reboot the channel it starts in HD, then goes SD.  All other apps (NEtflix, Prime, ATT TV) all work HD and 4k just fine.  What am I or what is wrong with the Xfinity Stream Beta app on Roku?

Highlighted
New Poster

Has this been fixed? Mine has done the same thing for a week. Absolutely nothing is available. Help! I feel deceived!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Same problem, I've tried adjusting the picture settings on the Roku nothing helps.  This is definitely yet one more issue with the Xfinity app....

I don't understand how or why they seem unable to get their act together on the apps in this country...