Community Forum

XFINITY Stream on Roku

Expert

Re: XFINITY Stream on Roku

@rdodolak1 wrote:
@Rustyben wrote: 
note the Roku stream app is in a free beta. Do you have a line on your current bill that says precisely 'HD Technology Fee' at $10/month?

I'm not sure what you're getting at, I recently moved back to a Comcast area so I'm not sure that line item would be explicitly shown or applicable.  I don't mean to compare services, but I previously had the TWC streaming app which, wasn't beta, and streamed television services just fine for the past 5 years.  Regardless to the Xfinity (Comcast) beta app, why would the channels be windowed boxed in this day and age when I pay for HD services and 4:3 televisions haven't been sold in over 12 years.  Point blank, the app should show HD channels in full HD (widescreen) and at other in a window boxed mode.

the beta roku app will not display cable HD channels unless the bill shows the separate charge for HD technology free at $10/month. can't show 0.00.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

@rdodolak1 wrote:
@Rustyben wrote: 
note the Roku stream app is in a free beta. Do you have a line on your current bill that says precisely 'HD Technology Fee' at $10/month?

I'm not sure what you're getting at, I recently moved back to a Comcast area so I'm not sure that line item would be explicitly shown or applicable.  I don't mean to compare services, but I previously had the TWC streaming app which, wasn't beta, and streamed television services just fine for the past 5 years.  Regardless to the Xfinity (Comcast) beta app, why would the channels be windowed boxed in this day and age when I pay for HD services and 4:3 televisions haven't been sold in over 12 years.  Point blank, the app should show HD channels in full HD (widescreen) and at other in a window boxed mode.

the beta roku app will not display cable HD channels unless the bill shows the separate charge for HD technology free at $10/month. can't show 0.00.

Would it still show it as a separate line item if I have a Xfinity package?  As I mentioned previously, I recently moved back to an Xfinity (Comcast) area, have access to HD programming, and the beta app HAS displayed full HD programming (1920x1080px) roughly half of the time.

New Poster

Im having the same issue. App worked great over the past year but now nothing will open. Comcast fix this this ng., now. Please. Thanks
Expert

@Dmilward wrote:
Im having the same issue. App worked great over the past year but now nothing will open. Comcast fix this this ng., now. Please. Thanks

@examine your most recent bill. HD channels will not show up currently on the Roku beta stream app unless you have the separate line on your current bill that says HD technology fee @ $10/month. If shown then Roku will have the HD channels.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I am having the same issue with the DVR it keeps popping up the do you want to delete box in the middle of my recording and preventing me from deleting episodes once I finished watching. Comcast can you please respond and provide a fix?
New Poster

Unfortunately I am not as tech-savvy as others may not be as well on this forum I did not understand much of your explanation. But what I know is that I have been streaming the Xfinity app on my Roku and I keep getting overages I don't know how to prevent that or what I need to do I do not have any modem boxes with Comcast
Regular Contributor

First, even though Comcast says the app does not use data, many here have found differently. Second, you will get a runaround from Comcast customer service, but no resolution. Third, Comcast said when (if) the app ever comes out of beta, they will charge you for using it, just like having a box. After three hours on the phone with Comcast customer service, I finally threw in the towel. I have disconnected my service, and will tell all others to do the same, if you value your money, time, and sanity. Comcast will never admit when they are wrong, and will steal you blind, with every charge they can think of. Fees for this, fees for that, taxes here, taxes thwrw, then overage fees for internet at exorbitant rates. They told me my internet plus basic would be $45, but after all was said and done, tgey billed me $69. Doesn't sound like much, but it is that they lied. I am now going to CenturyLink for $45,for life, at 60mbs and no overage fees (They have a sodt cap of 1Tb, but never charge if you go over). The bill came to only $47 after ALL fees and taxes. I would suggest everyone look into it, and stream live tv from other sources.
Expert

@Chlochlo wrote:
I am having the same issue with the DVR it keeps popping up the do you want to delete box in the middle of my recording and preventing me from deleting episodes once I finished watching. Comcast can you please respond and provide a fix?

if that happens again, do not delete. then check the home DVR recording and it will be full length? The cloud DVR in some areas have intermittent recording issues during the heavy use prime time hours and sometimes do not get the entire recording.

Expert

@Chlochlo wrote:
Unfortunately I am not as tech-savvy as others may not be as well on this forum I did not understand much of your explanation. But what I know is that I have been streaming the Xfinity app on my Roku and I keep getting overages I don't know how to prevent that or what I need to do I do not have any modem boxes with Comcast

the beta roku stream TV app is restricted to be used only on the customer's home wifi/ethernet and the stream app has no access to 'over the top' parts of the regular stream app (like TVgo channels and on-demand video, and games). the usage will show in the home traffic counter but the source is internal to Comcast and does not count toward the CAP.

Regular Contributor

So then Rusty, why is it that I hsed over 1Tb ONLY streaming the Xfinity Roku app, with all orher devices disconected, and Xfinity charged me for an overage? I was on the phone with them for over 3 hours, and they stated that there was nothing they could do. Even one of their service technicians checked and stated that the Xfinith app on Roku was using mu data allowance. He measured it while everything else was disconnected, as he witnessed nothing but the Roku Xfinty app was running. This is why I dropped them now. They, and their customer service agents, and customer service supervisor, did not believe me or their own technician. They refused to fix the issue or the billing.
Frequent Visitor

@Roxxxxie wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Roxxxxie wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Roxxxxie wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Roxxxxie wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

countable vs non-countable traffic is determined by the upstream Comcast device that delivers data to your home gateway/modem. so though the bytes 'are' counted by your xfi router the bytes used to stream linear channels etc on the stream beta device are not counted at all for billing purposes (zero rated). 

OK so I am to conclude that Comcast/Xfinity is able to discern the specific app, i.e. the Xfinity Beta Streaming app in my data usage, it is that granular?  In other words, is the system that detailed, that it can determine separate streaming content from other streaming content?  Having said that, it will then discount the Xfinity Beta Streaming app's usage and not count that streamed data towards my data cap?  Sigh, so how do I know that they are "doing the right thing" as it were. 

Sorry, but after all of the interface with Comcast CSR's in data and TV technical support that have no earthly idea just what this beta streaming app does or does not do, charges for or does not charge for, in the compilation of data usage, I am a tad bit "professionally skeptical" at best.  Now for the 64 dollar question, is it possible to stream off of my personal router that is a wired connection to the Comcast Modem and still not have the data count in my usage.  I do note that when I go into the streaming app and have the Roku connected to my personal Router that it picks up that I am streaming the Xfinity Beta Streaming app on a Roku, so it does have some discernment of the streaming operation whether the Roku is associated with the Comcast Router/WIFI or my personal Router WIFI running off of the Comcast Router?  I am still skeptical, but will address this issue with Comcast when they call today....  Sigh.... sorry to be such a doubting Thomas, but no one at Comcast has even gone into the information that you posted above to date, and, I have spoken to them since last week over 8 hours regarding this issue.

Thank you so very much for your response and in advance for your future responses.

the X1 hub set top boxes (XG2, Xg1) have DOCSIS modems that handle the data traffic by the set top boxes. The Xi5/6 use the Comcast gateway/modem and I don't know if they use that gateway modem or they use by MoCA via the gateway/modem to one of the in-home HUBs. It isn't by device, it is by routing IP. The source of the 'data' video is either on a Comcast server or it is from a server outside of Comcast's in-house server system. if inside Comcast the bytes are measured and not counted by the CMTS as billable traffic. The same CMTS counts and records ouside Comcast data both inbound and outbound. the X1 equipment (except the rng150) have apps that are marked internet and bytes used with those apps are all counted. same for games. The X1 devices use internet (except possibly the xi5/xi6) that is not routed through your home data gateway/modem.

Thank you very much, I am going to leave the Roku on the Comcast Modem/Router for the time being, it is using at this point 85 to 88% of the household network usage.  That means that it is gobbling about 8 to 9 GB's per day.  That is if I leave it on 24/7, which is what the Comcast supervisor wanted me to do while they check some issues out.  I am expecting a call from him again today with his findings and will relay that to the board when I receive his findings.  Thank you again for your time and information it is much appreciated.  Additionally I do wish that the Comcast folks that I spoke with had as much knowledge and information as you do, they really need to be brought up to speed on this subject since it is very disturbing to see how much data this app uses and how it could/can potentially impact your data cap.

when I hooked up my roku i literally left it running overnight and watched usage (it was on an HD channel). after two days never got a 'bump' in increased usage per the month to date. it proved to me then that the streaming on a numbered (linear) channel on the Roku app using the beta stream app really didn't count toward the CAP.

Then I have a real problem, my usage on the Roku is visibly increasing the usage per day/month, and it is visible on both the month to date in my account app and in the xfinity app.  The household is not the primary user, the Roku is, and it has demonstrated that by being hooked up by itself on the Comcast Modem directly.  So it is not working the same for me as it did for you, I have not heard from the Comcast employee yet, and I think I may not, so I will call starting them again on Monday to get to the bottom of this milieu.  Any suggestions as to which department to call that you might have would be appreciated, please not the Security Department, they all tell me every time that I speak with them that it is counted against the Cap, sigh, I am not one of their favorite folks right now in all honesty.  Any help that you can give me would be much appreciated. 

unplug the roku from the TV and put it in a drawer for a couple of days. monitor Month to date usage on the my account app. dropped? (note that use of 'any' other apps on the roku 'do' count toward the  CAP)

So, per your suggestion, I did, the data usage went back to normal levels and that was that in a nut shell.  So...off I trudged to the Xfinity Retail Store, speaking with them on the phone is not working.  James at our local store was at first skeptical, but referenced his information on the beta streaming app, my information, my usage, all pertinent data and came to the same conclusion that I have.  The beta streaming xfinity app is gobbling up data like the cookie monster. 

I have had a tech out here this morning, he went through all of the fittings/couplers on the lines, replaced the modem yet again, checked everthing that is imaginable, called out to the next tier tech support and his supervisor.  Long and short, the cable coupler at the point where the cable attaches to the modem was an old direct TV coupling (it was replaced with an Xfinity One), Modem replaced and upper level tech support stated that "anything streamed (like Xfinity beta) uses data (this was to him after he saw my research) and oh, maybe she is streaming other than the Xfinity Beta Stream, like netflix....  I am not a little peeved, I am a lot peeved by that one. 

So I have factory reset my Roku, removed all of the apps that are removable (Pandora is not removable, I signed out of it) and left only the speed test and the Xfinity Beta Stream in the device.  I have taken time and date stamped photos of the devices home page, and the Pandora app reflecting that I have signed out.  I am going to stream normally at night just the Xfinity Beta App, as I have previously and see if it still gobbles data up.  I did note that their Xfi app is now picking up the cable box in the living room, which previously it was not (suspect that replacing that Direct TV coupler was a good idea), there are also some devices that I have never seen before, so I paused them until they either drop off or become identifiable as redundant devicies that are already tied to the eero network.  I had the tech put the eero LAN line connection to the Xfinity Xi6 modem on line 2 out so that the system would not bridge automatically.  I am waiting 24 hours and if it still gobbles data, I am headed back to the retail store.... 

By the way the tech that came out today was wonderful and did see the whole picture but did not have an answer, nor did his supervisor. 

So....it is solved, and the solution should be noted by anyone that has an issue with their Roku using data on the Xfinity Beta Streaming App.

I puchased this property in November of 2016, there had never been cable into the property, there was an Antenna for broadcast local TV, DISH/Direct TV.  The installer was a contractor that was here over 5 hours putting the system in, it was not a stellar job, and I am being most polite in my verbiage as to the quality of his work.   Three months later I had it reinstalled with a supervisor from Comcast/Xfinity and a tech both fixing (or so I was led to believe) all of the problems

This original installer, in hooking up the cable from the box on the exterior of the house, used the old Dish cable coming into the house as the lead into the house to the modem hookup.  How special, I have to say (snideness is intended here).  He left the DISH coupler on the end of the lead coming into the house and hooked the modem cable up to the DISH cable and coupler.  Well now, everything like the phone, the cable and internet worked just dandy, yeppers, just dandy.  No hint of any issues, none at all.

Now comes the homeowner's bright idea of using her Roku's instead of the boxes 1.5 years later to lower the bill for a while...  Golly the data useage went through the roof, from 240/month to 700+ per month, I would call that a little bit of a spike, but as the kind Comcast/Xfinity reps that I spoke with told me, everytime you use the internet (they included my use of the Xfinity Beta Streaming app on the Roku in that statement) you use data and oh by the way you did not go over your cap yet (close, but not yet).

I finally marched myself into the Xfinity Retail Store here and met with a very nice young man, James, he is a keeper Comcast/Xfinity if you are reading this, a real keeper.  He understood the problem, he sent a tech out to fully trouble shoot the house first prior to going up the tech ladder on the issue.  He agreed that I had a problem that I should not have. 

The tech came out, there were faults on the line, dumb homeowner asks innocently, why didn't the tech who was out here 4 days ago with the new modem catch that???  Not sure why not, but there are faults on the line.  This tech went through the whole system, replaced the modem yet again, then discovered that little silly DISH coupler, that trivial little piece of metal that couples the two sets of cable together, the DISH coupler (notice my distain here), that should have been replaced with a Comcast/Xfinity coupler when the system was brought into the house in November of 2016. 

That was the problem, it, the DISH coupler, was not relaying the Xfinity Beta Streaming app  in a manner that the Comcast/Xfinity MoCA was able to recognize that this was a Title VI stream from Comcast/Xfinity's own servers and that it should not be counted as data useage.  It was garbling the information and I was being charged for the data. 

New Comcast/Xfinity coupler, problem solved, back down to a decent data useage daily, under 7 gigs per day, when the Roku is running the "data meter" is quiet, no charges are being tallied for the use of the Xfinity Beta Streaming app. 

Let that be a lesson, the smallest and most inane things can cause some of the most infuriating and non-sequitor problems.  Who would have thunk that this little piece of metal would have that much impact, aren't they all the same??  The first installer thought so, as did everyone of the techs that I had out here for the issues that ensued with glitchy service and service interuptions (I work from home). 

Oh one more little tidbit of advice, if you have two networks, which I do, a eero router, make sure that your Xfinity Beta Streaming app is coming off the Comcast/Xfinity Modem router, or...you guessed it, you will be charged for the data, I have done a lot of research here, a plethora of troubleshooting and a whole lotta what if's.  So keep the Xfinity Beta Streaming app in the Comcast/Xfinity ecosystem entirely, which means your WIFI connection or ethernet connection for the Roku has to be from the Comcast/Xfinity Modem directly.

Regular Contributor

@Roxxxxie wrote:

@Roxxxxie wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Roxxxxie wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Roxxxxie wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Roxxxxie wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

countable vs non-countable traffic is determined by the upstream Comcast device that delivers data to your home gateway/modem. so though the bytes 'are' counted by your xfi router the bytes used to stream linear channels etc on the stream beta device are not counted at all for billing purposes (zero rated). 

OK so I am to conclude that Comcast/Xfinity is able to discern the specific app, i.e. the Xfinity Beta Streaming app in my data usage, it is that granular?  In other words, is the system that detailed, that it can determine separate streaming content from other streaming content?  Having said that, it will then discount the Xfinity Beta Streaming app's usage and not count that streamed data towards my data cap?  Sigh, so how do I know that they are "doing the right thing" as it were. 

Sorry, but after all of the interface with Comcast CSR's in data and TV technical support that have no earthly idea just what this beta streaming app does or does not do, charges for or does not charge for, in the compilation of data usage, I am a tad bit "professionally skeptical" at best.  Now for the 64 dollar question, is it possible to stream off of my personal router that is a wired connection to the Comcast Modem and still not have the data count in my usage.  I do note that when I go into the streaming app and have the Roku connected to my personal Router that it picks up that I am streaming the Xfinity Beta Streaming app on a Roku, so it does have some discernment of the streaming operation whether the Roku is associated with the Comcast Router/WIFI or my personal Router WIFI running off of the Comcast Router?  I am still skeptical, but will address this issue with Comcast when they call today....  Sigh.... sorry to be such a doubting Thomas, but no one at Comcast has even gone into the information that you posted above to date, and, I have spoken to them since last week over 8 hours regarding this issue.

Thank you so very much for your response and in advance for your future responses.

the X1 hub set top boxes (XG2, Xg1) have DOCSIS modems that handle the data traffic by the set top boxes. The Xi5/6 use the Comcast gateway/modem and I don't know if they use that gateway modem or they use by MoCA via the gateway/modem to one of the in-home HUBs. It isn't by device, it is by routing IP. The source of the 'data' video is either on a Comcast server or it is from a server outside of Comcast's in-house server system. if inside Comcast the bytes are measured and not counted by the CMTS as billable traffic. The same CMTS counts and records ouside Comcast data both inbound and outbound. the X1 equipment (except the rng150) have apps that are marked internet and bytes used with those apps are all counted. same for games. The X1 devices use internet (except possibly the xi5/xi6) that is not routed through your home data gateway/modem.

Thank you very much, I am going to leave the Roku on the Comcast Modem/Router for the time being, it is using at this point 85 to 88% of the household network usage.  That means that it is gobbling about 8 to 9 GB's per day.  That is if I leave it on 24/7, which is what the Comcast supervisor wanted me to do while they check some issues out.  I am expecting a call from him again today with his findings and will relay that to the board when I receive his findings.  Thank you again for your time and information it is much appreciated.  Additionally I do wish that the Comcast folks that I spoke with had as much knowledge and information as you do, they really need to be brought up to speed on this subject since it is very disturbing to see how much data this app uses and how it could/can potentially impact your data cap.

when I hooked up my roku i literally left it running overnight and watched usage (it was on an HD channel). after two days never got a 'bump' in increased usage per the month to date. it proved to me then that the streaming on a numbered (linear) channel on the Roku app using the beta stream app really didn't count toward the CAP.

Then I have a real problem, my usage on the Roku is visibly increasing the usage per day/month, and it is visible on both the month to date in my account app and in the xfinity app.  The household is not the primary user, the Roku is, and it has demonstrated that by being hooked up by itself on the Comcast Modem directly.  So it is not working the same for me as it did for you, I have not heard from the Comcast employee yet, and I think I may not, so I will call starting them again on Monday to get to the bottom of this milieu.  Any suggestions as to which department to call that you might have would be appreciated, please not the Security Department, they all tell me every time that I speak with them that it is counted against the Cap, sigh, I am not one of their favorite folks right now in all honesty.  Any help that you can give me would be much appreciated. 

unplug the roku from the TV and put it in a drawer for a couple of days. monitor Month to date usage on the my account app. dropped? (note that use of 'any' other apps on the roku 'do' count toward the  CAP)

So, per your suggestion, I did, the data usage went back to normal levels and that was that in a nut shell.  So...off I trudged to the Xfinity Retail Store, speaking with them on the phone is not working.  James at our local store was at first skeptical, but referenced his information on the beta streaming app, my information, my usage, all pertinent data and came to the same conclusion that I have.  The beta streaming xfinity app is gobbling up data like the cookie monster. 

I have had a tech out here this morning, he went through all of the fittings/couplers on the lines, replaced the modem yet again, checked everthing that is imaginable, called out to the next tier tech support and his supervisor.  Long and short, the cable coupler at the point where the cable attaches to the modem was an old direct TV coupling (it was replaced with an Xfinity One), Modem replaced and upper level tech support stated that "anything streamed (like Xfinity beta) uses data (this was to him after he saw my research) and oh, maybe she is streaming other than the Xfinity Beta Stream, like netflix....  I am not a little peeved, I am a lot peeved by that one. 

So I have factory reset my Roku, removed all of the apps that are removable (Pandora is not removable, I signed out of it) and left only the speed test and the Xfinity Beta Stream in the device.  I have taken time and date stamped photos of the devices home page, and the Pandora app reflecting that I have signed out.  I am going to stream normally at night just the Xfinity Beta App, as I have previously and see if it still gobbles data up.  I did note that their Xfi app is now picking up the cable box in the living room, which previously it was not (suspect that replacing that Direct TV coupler was a good idea), there are also some devices that I have never seen before, so I paused them until they either drop off or become identifiable as redundant devicies that are already tied to the eero network.  I had the tech put the eero LAN line connection to the Xfinity Xi6 modem on line 2 out so that the system would not bridge automatically.  I am waiting 24 hours and if it still gobbles data, I am headed back to the retail store.... 

By the way the tech that came out today was wonderful and did see the whole picture but did not have an answer, nor did his supervisor. 

So....it is solved, and the solution should be noted by anyone that has an issue with their Roku using data on the Xfinity Beta Streaming App.

I puchased this property in November of 2016, there had never been cable into the property, there was an Antenna for broadcast local TV, DISH/Direct TV.  The installer was a contractor that was here over 5 hours putting the system in, it was not a stellar job, and I am being most polite in my verbiage as to the quality of his work.   Three months later I had it reinstalled with a supervisor from Comcast/Xfinity and a tech both fixing (or so I was led to believe) all of the problems

This original installer, in hooking up the cable from the box on the exterior of the house, used the old Dish cable coming into the house as the lead into the house to the modem hookup.  How special, I have to say (snideness is intended here).  He left the DISH coupler on the end of the lead coming into the house and hooked the modem cable up to the DISH cable and coupler.  Well now, everything like the phone, the cable and internet worked just dandy, yeppers, just dandy.  No hint of any issues, none at all.

Now comes the homeowner's bright idea of using her Roku's instead of the boxes 1.5 years later to lower the bill for a while...  Golly the data useage went through the roof, from 240/month to 700+ per month, I would call that a little bit of a spike, but as the kind Comcast/Xfinity reps that I spoke with told me, everytime you use the internet (they included my use of the Xfinity Beta Streaming app on the Roku in that statement) you use data and oh by the way you did not go over your cap yet (close, but not yet).

I finally marched myself into the Xfinity Retail Store here and met with a very nice young man, James, he is a keeper Comcast/Xfinity if you are reading this, a real keeper.  He understood the problem, he sent a tech out to fully trouble shoot the house first prior to going up the tech ladder on the issue.  He agreed that I had a problem that I should not have. 

The tech came out, there were faults on the line, dumb homeowner asks innocently, why didn't the tech who was out here 4 days ago with the new modem catch that???  Not sure why not, but there are faults on the line.  This tech went through the whole system, replaced the modem yet again, then discovered that little silly DISH coupler, that trivial little piece of metal that couples the two sets of cable together, the DISH coupler (notice my distain here), that should have been replaced with a Comcast/Xfinity coupler when the system was brought into the house in November of 2016. 

That was the problem, it, the DISH coupler, was not relaying the Xfinity Beta Streaming app  in a manner that the Comcast/Xfinity MoCA was able to recognize that this was a Title VI stream from Comcast/Xfinity's own servers and that it should not be counted as data useage.  It was garbling the information and I was being charged for the data. 

New Comcast/Xfinity coupler, problem solved, back down to a decent data useage daily, under 7 gigs per day, when the Roku is running the "data meter" is quiet, no charges are being tallied for the use of the Xfinity Beta Streaming app. 

Let that be a lesson, the smallest and most inane things can cause some of the most infuriating and non-sequitor problems.  Who would have thunk that this little piece of metal would have that much impact, aren't they all the same??  The first installer thought so, as did everyone of the techs that I had out here for the issues that ensued with glitchy service and service interuptions (I work from home). 

Oh one more little tidbit of advice, if you have two networks, which I do, a eero router, make sure that your Xfinity Beta Streaming app is coming off the Comcast/Xfinity Modem router, or...you guessed it, you will be charged for the data, I have done a lot of research here, a plethora of troubleshooting and a whole lotta what if's.  So keep the Xfinity Beta Streaming app in the Comcast/Xfinity ecosystem entirely, which means your WIFI connection or ethernet connection for the Roku has to be from the Comcast/Xfinity Modem directly.

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing all this. This should definiltey be a lesson for everyone, and to never assume (both from a homeowner and from the service provider's standpoint) that everything was installed correctly to begin with. You cannot make this one up!

Again, thank you for your perseverence on figuring this out, sticking with it, then reporting it back for folks here. Kudos to you!

New Poster

I am also experiencing the crashes when trying to load the app on my Roku. Starting two days ago, whenever I try to open it, it loads for 2 minutes, and then closes.

New Poster

@edwardcuth wrote:

I am also experiencing the crashes when trying to load the app on my Roku. Starting two days ago, whenever I try to open it, it loads for 2 minutes, and then closes.

Reinstalling and relinking appears to have done the trick. Still, would have been nice if I didn't have to do that.

Frequent Visitor

It appears there was an update to the stream app on Roku. One of my units did not update so I had to delete/download and then re-authorize the app. On the units that did update, I just had to re-authorize them.
Frequent Visitor

I received the Dec. 2018 updated Xfinity app (3.2 Build 1). I uninstalled it, rebooted Roku then reinstalled and activated the app just to make sure I gave it a chance to work. It does work fine, BUT after a length of time it bombs because the Roku loses connectivity even though it's on a wired connection. Same thing happens on a wireless connection even though all other devices on the network still have connection. It will reconnect by itself if left alone for a time. This only happens with Xfinity app.

Xfinity never fails to annoy...

Regular Contributor

@ridgetop wrote:

I received the Dec. 2018 updated Xfinity app (3.2 Build 1). I uninstalled it, rebooted Roku then reinstalled and activated the app just to make sure I gave it a chance to work. It does work fine, BUT after a length of time it bombs because the Roku loses connectivity even though it's on a wired connection. Same thing happens on a wireless connection even though all other devices on the network still have connection. It will reconnect by itself if left alone for a time. This only happens with Xfinity app.

Xfinity never fails to annoy...

Is the 3.2 Build 1 still a 'beta' version?

Frequent Visitor

It still says ‘beta’. Of course, they hint that once it comes out of beta, they will start charging a device fee.

Regular Contributor

@TomBenoit wrote:

It still says ‘beta’. Of course, they hint that once it comes out of beta, they will start charging a device fee.

Ok, thanks for letting us know.

Expert

@asndad wrote:
So then Rusty, why is it that I hsed over 1Tb ONLY streaming the Xfinity Roku app, with all orher devices disconected, and Xfinity charged me for an overage? I was on the phone with them for over 3 hours, and they stated that there was nothing they could do. Even one of their service technicians checked and stated that the Xfinith app on Roku was using mu data allowance. He measured it while everything else was disconnected, as he witnessed nothing but the Roku Xfinty app was running. This is why I dropped them now. They, and their customer service agents, and customer service supervisor, did not believe me or their own technician. They refused to fix the issue or the billing.

the 'free' usage is for the xfinity beta stream app, not other 'channels' on the Roku. If you use the Roku channel youtube all that usage counts. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Rusty, did you read the post? The tech from Comcast verified only the Xfinity Roku app was running.
Expert

@asndad wrote:
Rusty, did you read the post? The tech from Comcast verified only the Xfinity Roku app was running.

the xfi app will see/count all traffic even from the roku. the cmts that the gateway is connected will not count the roku's xfinity beta stream app traffic (zero rated). the Xfinity smart app "my account" will report most data usage in a few hours from the actual usage and does not see the internal free traffic as counted against the CAP. I tested this the first few days by leaving the app on a TV running 24/7 for days and yes the local router saw large traffic jump but the my account app usage stayed constant 

Regular Contributor

Hum, so the tech measured the data toward the cap, not at the router. Them compared to what Comcast accounted to the data cap. It was the same, and, only the Xfinity Roku app was run6, as attested to by the tech. Comcast customer service agents said the data used would count toward my cap, ans refused to refund the overages.
New Poster

Re: Roku/Xfinity Stream Beta Not Working

Having the same problem, DRM 402 error, on brand new Roku Ultra 4k. All other streaming apps work fine. Xfinity tech support is unable to resolve. Worked fine till 2 days back. I am on Comcast home wifi
New Poster

Re: App Store Replies - Xfinity Stream Mobile App Troubleshooting

I know... and they are in no hurry to help fix anything.  They certainly wouldn’t be that way if you weren’t paying your bill!

Regular Contributor

Re: App Store Replies - Xfinity Stream Mobile App Troubleshooting

Let me tell you how bad Comcast is getting. My plan was up for renewal. I calked and told them "NO contract, and best price." The customer service agent gave me a orice for basic cabke, HD, free HBO, and internet for $63, tax included. The firt two months, they billed me $63. Then, the very next bill was $75. I calked to see what happened. They said I agreed to a one year contact, at $75. Since I recorded the coversation, they said they could not honor the price. I told them to discontinue my service. They told me it would cost me a $100 termination fee. I told them to disconect me after the term i had paid for, which was through January 11th. They turned off my service on December 15th. I was scheduked to get service from another provder on December 31st. I calked and galked to them, after three supervisirs, they agreed to turn the service back on for $30 per month ( they said since I had stopped service, they could give me the lower oruce for being a new custoner). This is ridiculous in and of itself. The new service would be fir internet only. I. He ked my accojnt, and found a charge for "TV broadcast fee." I calked to ask why I would need to oay the "TV broadcast fee," and was told because I have Roku and Fire TV devices. I explained that i now get my TV service from DirecTV Now, but they said the fee still applied. Talk about a rip off.
New Poster

Its not working on my roku
Expert

@Kandycoated03 wrote:
Its not working on my roku

do you find the app and are you able to install it and authorize?

New Poster

I just purchased Roku express 3900, the Xfinity Stream Beta app was installed when I setup the Roku.   Everything is on the Xfinity WIFI network.  I also got a error 403-102.   None of Comcast tech support understands this problem.   How can I PM @comcaststella to help me to look into the back system to make sure that my Modem is there?  

Thank You

New Poster

Originally, I had Xfinity Internet only while doing streaming services. On Wednesday (1/2/19), I added back the cable package since the streaming service wasn't working out for us. One of the sell points the CS rep gave us was the usage of the Xfinity Stream through Roku (2nd TV in the house) and the iOS app. So far, it has been a dud. I have the Stream app installed on the Roku device. It shows the channel guide but will not play any channels. No videos shown. The iOS is just as worthless, where it will tell me that I need to subscribe to the channels that I already subscribe to. What is the problem with these apps? 

Expert

@WarEagleVIII wrote:

Originally, I had Xfinity Internet only while doing streaming services. On Wednesday (1/2/19), I added back the cable package since the streaming service wasn't working out for us. One of the sell points the CS rep gave us was the usage of the Xfinity Stream through Roku (2nd TV in the house) and the iOS app. So far, it has been a dud. I have the Stream app installed on the Roku device. It shows the channel guide but will not play any channels. No videos shown. The iOS is just as worthless, where it will tell me that I need to subscribe to the channels that I already subscribe to. What is the problem with these apps? 

is your service new as of today? do you have installed working X1 set top boxes in your home? are you connected (phone and Roku) to your own home Xfinity internet (not the xfinitywifi SSID)?

New Poster

My Internet service I've had for 6 months. My TV service was new as of Wednesday (1/2/19). The X1 DVR is connected and working with one TV. The Roku and iPhone are both connected to the Internet via the home wifi. As of this morning, I am still getting the same issues. The app appears to work. It shows the program guide. You click on the channel. It processes the selection then gives the watch, record, series info buttons. You click on the watch button. In Roku, it processes then brings you back to the previous screen. In iOS, it processes then gives you a "Subscription Required::12012" message.

Expert

@WarEagleVIII wrote:

My Internet service I've had for 6 months. My TV service was new as of Wednesday (1/2/19). The X1 DVR is connected and working with one TV. The Roku and iPhone are both connected to the Internet via the home wifi. As of this morning, I am still getting the same issues. The app appears to work. It shows the program guide. You click on the channel. It processes the selection then gives the watch, record, series info buttons. You click on the watch button. In Roku, it processes then brings you back to the previous screen. In iOS, it processes then gives you a "Subscription Required::12012" message.

call 800-Comcast and select customer service for cable TV. ask the agent to transfer you to app support queue. Ask the app support agent to verify your username is associated with your current account and address and that the databases show you have X1 home service and not 'instant TV" service. fixed?

Frequent Visitor

Re: XFINITY Stream on Roku - CRASHES CONSTANTLY!

The app on the Roku ultra crashes constantly. If you exit the app and want to return to Xfinity, it will not allow you to access programMing. You have to remove the app and reinstall it every single time you navigate away from it. It would seem that after more than two years of beta testing, Xfinity would have figured out all of the bugs and fixed them by now. It also seems that this problem began with the last update on December 11, 2018. 

We’re on the verge of just keeping our Internet connection, and switching to Hulu for all of our live TV needs. 

Expert

@Lonbo wrote:

The app on the Roku ultra crashes constantly. If you exit the app and want to return to Xfinity, it will not allow you to access programMing. You have to remove the app and reinstall it every single time you navigate away from it. It would seem that after more than two years of beta testing, Xfinity would have figured out all of the bugs and fixed them by now. It also seems that this problem began with the last update on December 11, 2018. 

We’re on the verge of just keeping our Internet connection, and switching to Hulu for all of our live TV needs. 

did you try a different roku device? might have a connection (physical electrical problem)

Frequent Visitor

I have a tcl roku tv and I’m using the xfinity beta app version 3.2.2 and when I am watching a recording from my x1 dvr with this streaming app it ask me if I want to delete the show when I am done. Doesn’t matter if I click yes or no bc when I start another show the black box appears again asking me the same question and won’t let me click yes or no again so I can watch the next show. I have to restart my tv to clear the issue after I watch each show. Can someone help me resolve this bc it is aggravating.
New Poster

It’s all solved now. It took several business days for my service to finally kick in on the streaming side. It was seamless on the cable side, though.
Frequent Visitor

My tack started doing that a couple of weeks ago as well.  

Expert

@TomBenoit wrote:

My tack started doing that a couple of weeks ago as well.  

are you speaking of a roku device in saying 'tack'?

Regular Contributor

is the counting or not counting of data vs the cap for the Stream app impacted in any way if you have your own modem instead of a comcast supplied modem?

New Poster

The app is not working on my tv.  Worked great for a while then now it says I’m not on my home internet.  I am. 

Regular Contributor

HD-Tech

Regular Contributor

‎01-17-2019 11:44 PM

is the counting or not counting of data vs the cap for the Stream app impacted in any way if you have your own modem instead of a comcast supplied modem?

0 Likes

It is not supposed to, but it has in some cases. I suggest you keep an eye on your usage, then, if you notice an unexpected increase , call them. They may or may not believe you, but if you recird the conversation, you will have recourse if they chaege you an overage fee.
Regular Contributor

Daisyusmc

New Poster

‎01-18-2019 12:31 AM

The app is not working on my tv.  Worked great for a while then now it says I’m not on my home internet.  I am. 

You will need to reset your devices (includes modem), uninstall the app, then reinstall the app. If this fails, call Comcast and ask for a supervisor to do a deep reset of your account.
Frequent Visitor

I have FOUR Roku Ultra units and an uninstall/reinstall of the Xfinity app occurs daily on all of them, due to the app crashing. This only started happening AFTER XFinity’s app update on December 11th. This is definitely a developer glitch... and there is no one at Xfinity to make a report to.

Expert

@HD-Tech wrote:

makes no difference if leased nor customer owned

Expert

@Daisyusmc wrote:

has your data modem been swapped/changed out lately?

Expert

@Lonbo wrote:

I have FOUR Roku Ultra units and an uninstall/reinstall of the Xfinity app occurs daily on all of them, due to the app crashing. This only started happening AFTER XFinity’s app update on December 11th. This is definitely a developer glitch... and there is no one at Xfinity to make a report to.

when you say crash, what is it that you see on the screen? do you have x1 TV set top box equipment installed and working in your home?

Frequent Visitor

Is no one else having the same problem as me? Is there a separate number I need to call about the app issue?
Expert

@axlsmommi wrote:
Is no one else having the same problem as me? Is there a separate number I need to call about the app issue?

it really does help if you quote even your own post so it is clear what you are asking. there is a thread about the 'delete' box still on the screen in the Stream App area of the forum. they are gathering information on that thread.  https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/quot-Delete-Recording-quot-box-blocks-playback-on-Roku/m...

Frequent Visitor

I have one Xfinity DVR set top box in the house -  no problem there. When I say a crash on the Roku, I mean that the app will not launch  if navigating away from the Xfinity app, or if turning off the television.  It will also crash during the viewing of a program and go back to the main Roku screen   -  the app needs to be uninstalled, reinstalled and re-authorized.   This happens several times a day if watching TV throughout the day.