Community Forum

XFINITY Stream on Roku

Expert

Re: XFINITY Stream on Roku

@asndad wrote:
For Comcast, yes, it is too much to ask. I have been asking for over a year now. The sad thing is, they even have to downgrade HD channels to SD because you do not have a separate charge on your bill.

that's not how it works. All Roku Xfinity channels are streaming. The various networks send an HEVC (think mpeg5  for comparison to mpeg 2/4) and Comcast has a device for each station and it ouputs in SD/HD/ in various stream bit rates for just in time delivery depending on subscription and available end user bandwidth. The Roku app requests a 'program' and Comcast sends one of the streams to the Roku.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Rusty, how much discount did Comcast give you for saying that? So, my local channels only send out HD broadcast. Yet, I do not get them in HD on Comcast's Roku app. HBO only sends out HD programming, yet I only get SD. Now on to the real issue. Why is it only Comcast can't "stretch" the SD they send out to fit a standard tv screen?
Expert

@asndad wrote:
Rusty, how much discount did Comcast give you for saying that? So, my local channels only send out HD broadcast. Yet, I do not get them in HD on Comcast's Roku app. HBO only sends out HD programming, yet I only get SD. Now on to the real issue. Why is it only Comcast can't "stretch" the SD they send out to fit a standard tv screen?

no discounts. local channels are paid to send their broadcast via glass encoded by a device to HEVC. at the Comcast head-end-in-the-sky (cloud) the HEVC is handled same as network streams.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Re: App Store Replies - Xfinity Stream Mobile App Troubleshooting

When I click on the Xfinity app, it no longer goes to the guide with channels. It goes straight to “purchases” and says I haven’t purchased anything. No options to get out of that screen and go to the guide. It was working fine this morning. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, signed out and back in, reactivated, etc.
Expert

@tradabaugh wrote:
When I click on the Xfinity app, it no longer goes to the guide with channels. It goes straight to “purchases” and says I haven't purchased anything. No options to get out of that screen and go to the guide. It was working fine this morning. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, signed out and back in, reactivated, etc.

something is 'wrong' in the back end database. call 800-Comcast and select billing and explain the problem. they may need to perform a deep account background refresh (takes up to an hour to complete). please reply with result.

New Poster

My app shows an update on 8-14. Since then mine is doing the same thing. Just shows purchases nothing else.
Regular Visitor

Good suggestion! I spent 90 minutes on the phone with them last night to no avail. They were truly clueless and wouldn’t listen to this suggestion. I called back tonight, got a much more competent person. I mentioned your suggestion, and he had me sign out of the app then performed an “X-ray restart” of my account (he said it’s a deeper refresh). Signed back in after it was done and all was back to normal! Thanks for your help!
Regular Visitor

The guy I got on the phone tonight was actually very good! He had me sign out of the app then performed an “X-ray restart” of my account (he said it’s a deeper refresh) WHILE I was signed out. Once it was done refreshing, I signed back in and all was back to normal. Hope this helps you!
New Poster

I've been watch the xfinity stream beta on my roku but suddenly last week it stopped working. Still have my comcast account, my DVR, still have wifi but now I get an error message "sorry something went wrong try again later" but it has never come back in over a week. All other apps on the Roku work. I've even removed the app and reinstalled it numerous times as well and checked to make sure the software is up to date. What's happened with this app? Why does it no longer load?
Expert

@Christenskl wrote:
I've been watch the xfinity stream beta on my roku but suddenly last week it stopped working. Still have my comcast account, my DVR, still have wifi but now I get an error message "sorry something went wrong try again later" but it has never come back in over a week. All other apps on the Roku work. I've even removed the app and reinstalled it numerous times as well and checked to make sure the software is up to date. What's happened with this app? Why does it no longer load?

have you changed your modem/gateway? have you verified that the Wifi that the Roku is connected is your own home Wifi (not the xfinitywifi SSID)? did you match the numbers on the modem/gateway to the 'serial number' listed on your My Account App (internet tab) for the modem/gateway?

New Poster

Re: Xfinity TV app for Roku

I just started using xfinity stream and like it a lot so far!!! I do have a few things that I have noticed that needs improvement or is missing from the service.

First, when you record a show and fast forward through commercials, you don’t have a “clip” of where you are fast forwarding through so you have to guess how long the commercials are or miss part of the show. If there was a preview window showing you what you are fast forwarding through, that would help.

Second, you can’t easily delete recorded episodes unless you watch the whole episode on through. If there was a way you could clean up your recording list by being able to select what to delete would be nice. I forgot to say yes to delete an episode and I had to watch it over again, fast forward until the end to delete it.

Thirdly, I wish there was a way you could quick flip forward 15 minute increments in an episode instead of having to fast forward through it.

I really do like it so far but just wanted to give a few items that I would like to see implemented since this is a Beta version. Thank you!!
New Poster

As of 2 days ago all my Roku's show an error please try again when launching the app. I know the WIFI is getting to these Roku sticks as I can stream ESPN and such through their own apps. 

Anyone running into this?

Expert

@rallerheiligen wrote:

As of 2 days ago all my Roku's show an error please try again when launching the app. I know the WIFI is getting to these Roku sticks as I can stream ESPN and such through their own apps. 

Anyone running into this?

are you using a Comcast rented modem? if so, are you on your own "HOME-" wifi SSID? if so, uninstall the Roku channel. unplug the Roku from all connectors (TV and power supply) for 30 seconds + then reinstall Roku and add the Xfinity channel. fixed?

Regular Visitor

Stream app non-functional. Can't get anything downloaded on app to do dvr playback.  Have tried updating app and deleting and re-downloading. Nothing works, tried for 2 weeks. 

Expert

@Carli321 wrote:

Stream app non-functional. Can't get anything downloaded on app to do dvr playback.  Have tried updating app and deleting and re-downloading. Nothing works, tried for 2 weeks. 

Hi, to diagnose, are you in your home with your device attached to your own home wifi SSID? do you receive any error messages? do you have menu listings for recordings? or just purchases?

New Poster

I streamed for 2 weeks with no problems initially. Then I turned in my cable boxes as instructed. Could no longer stream. Apparently when they remove the "TV" rate code from your account you cant access content.
Frequent Visitor

I believe you must keep the primary box that comes with the TV service but can return all the ‘extra’ boxes you pay fir.

New Poster

On Ios the new stream app will not work with Wi-Fi. If I turn Wi-Fi on my phone off the app works but obviously some programs are blocked. The Wi-Fi signal is strong and all other apps in my phone work while connect to our home Wi-Fi.
Regular Visitor

STILL NOT READY FOR PRIMETIME: XFINITY Stream on Roku

My frustration level with this app that apparently is still in Beta almost a year now .... let me count the ways. 

• TV20 Detroit - the entire month of August, has been plagued by audio issues. A pulsating static. NOTE: you can also be treated to this lovely audio by logging into Xfinity and streaming that channel that way too.
  • Spontaneous lessons in Spanish - the CW and a movie I saved to "My Cloud" are in Spanish. I don't subscribe to any Spanish stations. The CW most notably will have shows all in English and then - I'm treated to a spontaneous lesson in Spanish
  • Today - I can't "Browse" by the category "TV" (lovely error message "Something went wrong"
  • The app loops back to the ROKU home page and/or eventually crashes the ROKU device. When I get in the loopback prison *sometimes* rebooting the ROKU or letting it crash it - works. Other times I have to recycle my modem. Other times I just have to give up and try again later.
  • Deleting items from the Cloud often result in errors (sometimes it thinks I'm still streaming it, other times it says it deleted it and it doesn't, other times I get the "something went wrong" message).
  • Starting June 1st - someone implemented some new nightly job that wiped out my access to the "Start from the Beginning" . Took me over a week to get that resolved. Didn't realize TWITTER is the way to get support for this service ... wasted COUNTLESS HOURS across that week w/your lovely chat team in India who (a) apparently doesn't quite understand Xfinity Streaming (b) couldn't grasp the concept that series like "Shameless" can be streamed "from the beginning" like from a library (c) some of them could temporarly restore my access but wouldn't accept this was a temporary fix nor had a clue where to escalate the matter.

I'm certain there have been other issues .... they're just slipping my mind at the moment. The fact of the matter is, hardly a week goes by without one or more issues. It's EXHAUSTING

New Poster

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

I keep getting a “user not authenticated” msg everytime I try to view something in History or A&E app...i log into my xfinity, enter the code, it says”success, all episodes have been unlocked ...But when I go to the Episodes it says “user not authenticated” tried everything....anyone help?
New Poster

How do we fix this? Im stuck in the authenticating loop. I keep getting a “user not authenticated” msg everytime I try to view something in History or A&E app...i log into my xfinity, enter the code, it says”success, all episodes have been unlocked ...But when I go to the Episodes it says “user not authenticated” tried everything....anyone help?
Regular Visitor

Can we pleeease get a legitimate streaming app for Roku. Beta for way over a year should be embarrassing Xfinity.
New Poster

Comcast sent me a new modem and had me box up my old one.  Since I made the change, my Roku won't let me use the Xfinity ap as it says I'm not in my home network.  I spent 1 1/2 hours on the phone last night with customer support and we did everything.  They finally pointed me to Roku after a comical trial to make sure the Xfinity ap works on my other devices.  I think I KNOW the problem, but they just can't do anything.  My modem serial number has correctly been changed.  The rep sees it, and I can see it on the Xfi ap.  HOWEVER, there seems to be a second database that is not being updated.  When I go to:   https://customer.xfinity.com/#/devices  I can STILL see the old serial number.  I've waited days and it is not updated.  I suspect strongly that the Roku ap is not pointed to the same database that Comcast is using for their live support or true internet enablement.  How can I get this stale database updated?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Call tech and escalate it to the top. Then have them do a "deep refresh" of your acccount. This should solve the issue.
New Poster

Out of town

receiving this errorEFD2E40D-F5FC-4935-AC5E-E6BBBA7FB457.png

New Poster

Liking the beta stream app. 

Not liking the 'pace' of updates... frankly don't know that i've seen any though clearly performance at startup could use a little work.  On that note, 2 points of feedback which could streamline the experience from startup to actually watching a channel.

1) would be great if on startup it went directly into watching the 'last channel watched' (and one could always 'back' out to the channel lineup, which further should be 'sticky' to the last set of channels be it all, or favorite.  And further, those channel lineup menus could then be loading in the background v. requiring a user to see a waitcursor while they loaded/cached). 

2) would be great if WHEN i selected a channel if it simply went to the channel, rather than requiring that after selecting, i have to reselect 'watch' with a 2nd click.  There must be some way to offer the other options (maybe via the '*' options menu which is the standard for that on the Roku remote, etc). eg. the MRU list of 'last watched stations' allows selection of channels with only one click; so should the selection of a channel from one of the channel lineup menus.

Thanks-- looking forward to a productive update!

Regular Contributor

Re: XFINITY Stream on Roku- Red Zone

I recently added the Sports Package with the NFL Red Zone. I have not been able to stream the Red Zone on the Roku Xfinity Stream. Does anyone know if I should I be able to stream the Red Zone? Thanks! 

New Poster

Re: Roku Streaming app Status? Error createDrmSession.403-102

Having issues downloading xfinity stream beta app saying channel install failed! On roku stick. Help
Expert

Re: Roku can't download channel

@Rogergreen wrote:
Having issues downloading xfinity stream beta app saying channel install failed! On roku stick. Help

Hi i moved your post to the regular Roku mega-thread. is your Roku stick model number listed on page one of this thread? (scroll to bottom of a page here and click on page 1).

Regular Contributor

Thanks. Yes. I get all the other channels. I just don’t get red zone. I am assuming they don’t have the ok from the nfl to show the red zone on the Roku but just trying to confirm.
New Poster

I am trying to use the google play store on my tv to use the xfinity stream but can’t figure it out. It just linked me to my google account
Regular Contributor

Update: Red Zone worked this past Sunday!
Expert

@Elizabeth85 wrote:
I am trying to use the google play store on my tv to use the xfinity stream but can’t figure it out. It just linked me to my google account

is your post about using a Roku? the roku allows install of channels if the channel is allowed on the particular model number.

New Poster

Re: Roku/Xfinity Stream Beta Not Working

I am having the same problem.  Did you get yours resolved?

New Poster

Take note that the oldest compatible Roku device is the Roku 2 (4210).

New Poster

Is the live TV included ? 

Expert

@danny77 wrote:

Is the live TV included ? 

yes if your subscription includes TV service.

New Poster

I'm having a lot of trouble right now with the app on Roku - everything is updated...tried reinstalling many times. Problem is we get all the way to the menu and even select the show and it starts to work showing a circle with three buttons working but then it bumps us out of the entire app. Any ideas what is going on? All our other streaming apps on Roku work great and we have good signal strength. 

Frequent Visitor

I frequently have 5he same problem.  The app is not stable.

New Poster

Re: Xfinity Stream App - Amazon Fire TV

When will we get a real version of xfinity stream, other than the beta, for ROKU?  If not, will the beta ever be upgraded?

New Poster

No HD, poor customer service

I’ve had the app for a few months now and never had my HD channels on any Roku version of the app. It is terrible. I’ve reset the tv, the rokus, the modem, the routers, reinstalled the app and been on the phone with customer service for hours. Nothing. And they don’t Follow-Up or seem to care. Be warned, the stream app is bad.
Expert

Re: No HD, poor customer service

@Wilbible wrote:
I’ve had the app for a few months now and never had my HD channels on any Roku version of the app. It is terrible. I’ve reset the tv, the rokus, the modem, the routers, reinstalled the app and been on the phone with customer service for hours. Nothing. And they don’t Follow-Up or seem to care. Be warned, the stream app is bad.

hi, I moved your post from the streaming website area to the Roku mega-thread. look on your most recent bill and see if you find a line for HD technology fee. does it show zero or around $10 ? the Roku app will not show cable TV in HD if the HD fee line is zero. 

New Poster

Can we get Thumbnails when Fast Forwarding?

Netflix does it, Hulu does it, Amazon does it.

Is there some way to get thumbnails when fast forwarding?  I'm using the Roku app.

Anyone know if it's in the works if it isn't possible?

Expert

Re: Can we get Thumbnails when Fast Forwarding?

@Bmax1985 wrote:

Netflix does it, Hulu does it, Amazon does it.

Is there some way to get thumbnails when fast forwarding?  I'm using the Roku app.

Anyone know if it's in the works if it isn't possible?

hi, I moved your post to the Roku mega-thread. look for announcments and help here for Roku beta stream app.

New Poster

Re: Favorite Channels on Xfinity Stream on Roku

I found out how to do it.  If you have a cable box from xfinity then go to saved, favorites and add the channels there. It will show up on your roku xfinity streaming app

Expert

Re: Favorite Channels on Xfinity Stream on Roku

@dnrfischer wrote:

I found out how to do it.  If you have a cable box from xfinity then go to saved, favorites and add the channels there. It will show up on your roku xfinity streaming app

you can add fav channels on the roku via the guide. move left to the channel number and press the OK button on your Roku app.

New Poster

I get an error message when I select a program to watch on the app, that says some programs can only be viewed from your home network. I AM on my home network, how do I fix this?

Expert

@Dstoll1 wrote:

I get an error message when I select a program to watch on the app, that says some programs can only be viewed from your home network. I AM on my home network, how do I fix this?

do the numbered live linear channels work on the app while in the home?

New Poster

Xfinity live TV stopped working on Roku. Wife was on the phone with tech over an hour and they have no solution!
Expert

@G4gary wrote:
Xfinity live TV stopped working on Roku. Wife was on the phone with tech over an hour and they have no solution!

can you give more details on what you were doing? do you still have an X1 set top box in your home? do you still have xfinity internet?